• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTS Snake Pass: Noodled by his Touchy Appendage

maxcriden

Or, Slitherin' House

Man, I am so pleased with this game... when I first heard about it I was quite eager and then I saw the control scheme and thought to myself, "I am really never going to get the hang of that." I watched the "how to play" video at the time but knew I wasn't going to be playing it very soon so expected there to be a significant learning curve and figured I'd give it a go when it went on sale. Sure enough it was on sale a few weeks back and when we wrapped up our latest progress towards 100%'ing Spot Goes to Hollywood (GOAT isometric platformer), we decided to get it a shot.

It was a rough go at the beginning, I can say. The regular controls have a steep learning curve to them. I tried to remember what I'd seen in the video and in GAF posts by wonderful people like Wozman23 and Neiteio, and to pay close attention to the game's very reasonable tutorial level, but I really struggled to wrap my head around the controls of wrapping the snake around a post.

After a few levels, something clicked and now I absolutely love the game. I think going for each collectible in every level before going on to the next level made the learning curve more difficult but also much much more doable in the long run. The collectibles are also some of the greatest fun to be had in the 7 or so levels we've played so far. I feel like I got more proficient at vertical poles then horizontal poles. I figure it will depend person to person on how their mind carries out spatial reasoning or something. I still have some trouble with movement at times but I really feel like I'm getting there and with its beautifully unique control scheme I feel like I'm learning a new skill or new way to use my brain or something, it's difficult to put into words.

On the whole, I'm finding the game to be a relaxing almost zen-like experience. The level design is genius and diverse and it has a great feel of a modern collectathon to it.

The music is amazing, too, and I never get sick of it even playing a course for an hour. Also the game itself is lovely on the Switch docked, and the characters are adorable and excellently designed.

roytheone

On the whole, I'm finding the game to be a relaxing almost zen-like experience. The level design is genius and diverse and it has a great feel of a modern collectathon to it.

Funnily enough, I just quit playing the game today because I found it incredibly frustrating. The checkpoints can be pretty terrible and after spending 15 minutes getting passed a section (where btw every time i fell i had to do an earlier section again), then there was no checkpoint, I died, and just said: "ok, fuck this game". One of the most frustrating experiences I had in a long time.

Neiteio

Funnily enough, I just quit playing the game today because I found it incredibly frustrating. The checkpoints can be pretty terrible and after spending 15 minutes getting passed a section (where btw every time i fell i had to do an earlier section again), then there was no checkpoint, I died, and just said: "ok, fuck this game". One of the most frustrating experiences I had in a long time.
A couple things to keep in mind:

- Everything you collect won't be there anymore when you replay the level. This makes it easier to hunt down the things you missed.

- When you beat the game, you unlock the ability to click R3 and reveal the hidden locations of items you missed.

In other words: Just focus on completing each level, and come back to 100% it later. It'll be much easier when you come back.

roytheone

A couple things to keep in mind:

- Everything you collect won't be there anymore when you replay the level. This makes it easier to hunt down the things you missed.

- When you beat the game, you unlock the ability to click R3 and reveal the hidden locations of items you missed.

In other words: Just focus on completing each level, and come back to 100% it later. It'll be much easier when you come back.

That is what i am doing actually. The section i had trouble with was to get one of the gate keystones which you need to get. I am having a very hard time with the game and the fact that there are often multipel hard sections after each other with no checkpoints just makes it no fun for me. If it had checkpoints after every hard section I may have kept going, but having to redo a section I just spend 15 minutes getting passed? Nope.

maxcriden

Sorry to hear that! It's unquestionably an acquired taste of a game. I've been happy with the checkpoints thus far though. Which level was this? I guess in terms of going for all the collectibles I like the game's checkpoints because you can reuse the same points over and over going back to them after getting a collectible in an area.

Also, for a particularly tricky part have you tried out the alternative control scheme? My wife switched over to it entirely and is finding traversal much more doable now.

Wozman23

Thanks for the mention.

I can never say enough about how great the game is. It's an instant classic and my GOTY. Its unique, innovative approach makes it one of the best platformers ever, and one of my favorite experiences in my 30 years of gaming.

It does take some time to grasp the controls, and it definitely helps to watch the developer's tutorial video, but once everything clicks, it's extremely satisfying.

topplehat

Loved the style, the music, and most everything about the game except the actual gameplay itself. It is a novel concept, but it's more rage-inducing and frustrating to me than fun. Reminds me of how I felt about The Last Guardian in that way.

maxcriden

Thanks for the mention.

I can never say enough about how great the game is. It's an instant classic and my GOTY. Its unique, innovative approach makes it one of the best platformers ever, and one of my favorite experiences in my 30 years of gaming.

It does take some time to grasp the controls, and it definitely helps to watch the developer's tutorial video, but once everything clicks, it's extremely satisfying.

My pleasure entirely. It was yours and Neiteio's enthusiasm for the game that made me want to check it out sooner rather than later and I'm glad I did. I probably should have reached the tutorial vid before playing. I wonder if they will include it in the game itself at some point.

Thinking on it, it must be my GOTY so far also. I'm definitely enjoying it more than BOTW.

Hybris

Nice dude, glad you came around on it. It really is a joy to play once you get the hang of it. I went for all collectibles on my first time through as well (well so far, I have 2 levels left but BOTW has taken over my life)

Wozman23

My pleasure entirely. It was yours and Neiteio's enthusiasm for the game that made me want to check it out sooner rather than later and I'm glad I did. I probably should have reached the tutorial vid before playing. I wonder if they will include it in the game itself at some point.

Thinking on it, it must be my GOTY so far also. I'm definitely enjoying it more than BOTW.

Glad you like it, because from its 71-74 Metacritic, there are a ton of people who didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did. Those averages still boggle my mind.

My #2 thus far is Sony's often compared and contrasted to BOTW, Horizon Zero Dawn. (Though Cuphead and Matterfall still have the potential to shake things up.)

maxcriden

Glad you like it, because from its 71-74 Metacritic, there are a ton of people who didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did. Those averages still boggle my mind.

My #2 thus far is Sony's often compared and contrasted to BOTW, Horizon Zero Dawn. (Though Cuphead and Matterfall still have the potential to shake things up.)

Thanks for the recommendations! I have to say I am not that surprised by the MC. This game is just a super acquired taste. I can see the control scheme just not jelling for a lot of people. Though on production value and level design alone I personally would have given it like an 8 if I hadn't jived with the controls. I'm really glad I stuck with it though.

BTW, have you played any other unusual control scheme games you'd recommend? Octodad perchance? Have that one on Wii U but haven't played it yet... played it once at PS4 demo kiosk and couldn't get the hang of it but it was only for a short while and that's not the ideal setting for figuring out complex gameplay IMO.

Wozman23

BTW, have you played any other unusual control scheme games you'd recommend? Octodad perchance? Have that one on Wii U but haven't played it yet... played it once at PS4 demo kiosk and couldn't get the hang of it but it was only for a short while and that's not the ideal setting for figuring out complex gameplay IMO.

I've played Octodad, but wasn't that impressed. To me most of the games that go out of their way to have odd controls just don't translate to being that fun. They bank too much on the odd controls, and you never get that sense of satisfaction of mastering the mechanics.

I don't really view Snake Pass in the same way. By nature, it was going to have a different control scheme, because it is an extremely different take on the platformer. Sumo did a terrific job of creating an exotic control scheme that seemed obtuse at first, but could be easily mastered with time. In a way, it takes you back to the first days you every played video games. When most people started playing Super Mario Bros. they'd get killed by the first goomba, or fall in that first pit. The same thing happened with Super Mario 64. I remember picking up the analogue stick somewhat easily, but I remember my dad trying and just running around in a tight circle. Neither game had odd or difficult controls, but because they were something people had never experienced before, it took some time to get acclimated.

That's the thrill of Snake Pass.

The only other times where I've felt that to a lesser degree are with asymmetric games, where you control two things with two sticks, like in Brothers, ibb & obb, and Soft Body.

maxcriden

I've played Octodad, but wasn't that impressed. To me most of the games that go out of their way to have odd controls just don't translate to being that fun. They bank too much on the odd controls, and you never get that sense of satisfaction of mastering the mechanics.

I don't really view Snake Pass in the same way. By nature, it was going to have a different control scheme, because it is an extremely different take on the platformer. Sumo did a terrific job of creating an exotic control scheme that seemed obtuse at first, but could be easily mastered with time. In a way, it takes you back to the first days you every played video games. When most people started playing Super Mario Bros. they'd get killed by the first goomba, or fall in that first pit. The same thing happened with Super Mario 64. I remember picking up the analogue stick somewhat easily, but I remember my dad trying and just running around in a tight circle. Neither game had odd or difficult controls, but because they were something people had never experienced before, it took some time to get acclimated.

That's the thrill of Snake Pass.

The only other times where I've felt that to a lesser degree are with asymmetric games, where you control two things with two sticks, like in Brothers, ibb & obb, and Soft Body.

Thanks for the tips on the other asymmetric games, I'm not too familiar those apart from the first. I think you make some great points. I hadn't thought about it in that way previously but you're right, it's more about a masterful and thoughtful control scheme than it is about being odd for the sake of it. It really is remarkable how well it comes together like the feeling of learning a new skill, when pulling it off as a player, even decently as intended.

At this point we have wrapped up level 12! The third world was quite tricky in parts, I have to say. I think maybe we messed up the brightness settings because it was way too take in level 9 before we messed with the TV settings. Like we literally could barely make out any platforms. I imagine that wasn't the intention but if so it was too hard for us, so I'm glad we changed it either way. Super fun world on the whole, though a bit on the dark side aesthetically. Great music though.

Wozman23

Thanks for the tips on the other asymmetric games, I'm not too familiar those apart from the first. I think you make some great points. I hadn't thought about it in that way previously but you're right, it's more about a masterful and thoughtful control scheme than it is about being odd for the sake of it. It really is remarkable how well it comes together like the feeling of learning a new skill, when pulling it off as a player, even decently as intended.

At this point we have wrapped up level 12! The third world was quite tricky in parts, I have to say. I think maybe we messed up the brightness settings because it was way too take in level 9 before we messed with the TV settings. Like we literally could barely make out any platforms. I imagine that wasn't the intention but if so it was too hard for us, so I'm glad we changed it either way. Super fun world on the whole, though a bit on the dark side aesthetically. Great music though.

I never had any difficulty with visibility, but I've also got my TV's brightness cranked up pretty high. The next levels are definitely brighter, and definitely tougher, but they are where you really get tested and the sense of satisfaction that comes along with that is phenomenal.

maxcriden

I never had any difficulty with visibility, but I've also got my TV's brightness cranked up pretty high. The next levels are definitely brighter, and definitely tougher, but they are where you really get tested and the sense of satisfaction that comes along with that is phenomenal.

Oh, I'm glad to hear it wasn't seemingly intended to be totally obscure, then. The first World 3 level in particular we played about half of it with everything just the slightest bit illuminated. Like beyond that one section in BOTW, but still barely visible. Anyway, thank you.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the final levels hold. My skills are by no means mad so I'm curious to see if I will be up to the challenge. I'm hoping for no speed-based requirements...!

I've basically done a complete 180 on this game.

I really didn't like it much at first. I found a lot to appreciate, but the controls and camera really frustrated me.

Well, I still find the camera cumbersome sometimes, but the controls have clicked for the most part and I'm now really, really pleased with Snake Pass overall. It's a gem.

Neiteio

I really didn't like it much at first. I found a lot to appreciate, but the controls and camera really frustrated me.

Well, I still find the camera cumbersome sometimes, but the controls have clicked for the most part and I'm now really, really pleased with Snake Pass overall. It's a gem.
Snake Pass is challenging but oddly therapeutic at the same time. The act of movement feels so deliberative and thoughtful, making simple traversal rewarding in its own right.

Snake Pass is challenging but oddly therapeutic at the same time. The act of movement feels so deliberative and thoughtful, making simple traversal rewarding in its own right.

For sure. I just went back to an older level I was having trouble with previously and completely obliterated it, now that I have a handle on the controls. They're incredibly rewarding once you get the hang of 'em.

Also, THAT MUSIC.

Neiteio

For sure. I just went back to an older level I was having trouble with previously and completely obliterated it, now that I have a handle on the controls. They're incredibly rewarding once you get the hang of 'em.

Also, THAT MUSIC.
I really hope David Wise is scoring some games right now. I need more of his music.

Chauzu

Thanks for the mention.

I wouldn't go as far as to proclaim GOTY, but definately platformer of the decade for me, for same reasons you stated. Odyssey will probably be a better game, but Snake Pass actually had me learn to do new stuff in a game, and that is a rare occurance nowadays.

dock

The music, especially the lack of variety, is what made me quit the game before finishing the first world. I found the squirrely controls annoying, checkpoints badly planned out, and the fact that my struggles for the first hour or so had the same visuals and badly looping music made me shelve it.

I wanted to like this game so much more.

maxcriden

Yesss! I am so glad to hear you turned around on it. I'm pretty sure I recall your previously posting about your frustration with it. Doesn't it feel amazing when the controls click in this game? It is really something special. I recommend you go for 100% in the levels if you're not already doing so. So much of the joy of the game is in getting those bubbles and gems. (Also, I totally agree the camera can be a bear at times. But to the credit of the devs I really haven't been able to figure out any possible design way they could've done it differently or better and still retained the collectathon aspect.)

The music, especially the lack of variety, is what made me quit the game before finishing the first world. I found the squirrely controls annoying, checkpoints badly planned out, and the fact that my struggles for the first hour or so had the same visuals and badly looping music made me shelve it.

I understand about the music. I really like it but I can see how the looping would be annoying. Did you try playing with some different music in the background? I like the checkpoints personally because you can re-use them. Throughout the game I've found them to be pretty reasonable personally and I tend to be very picky about unfair checkpoints. I wonder if you would find them more reasonable in subsequent levels. Did you try the alternate control scheme? Perhaps it would be more to your liking. Assuming you didn't get the game on Steam and refund it, you spent some hard earned dough on it so I would hope you enjoy it more if you happen to give it another go. :)

Come back to it. I am nowhere near an expert on the controls now but the first day I had it I was really struggling. But I put it down for a few days, came back, and found the experience much better.

maxcriden

I forgot to report back in after we finished the game. I was relieved to see the final world didn't require any speedrunning or being chased - nor any boss battles. The final cinematic seems to hint at a sequel that I've very much like to play. I wonder if the game was a decent success in sales. I sure hope so.

I found the final world to be a fitting capstone to this delight of a game, filled with plenty of challenges. The use of wind as a mechanic was well-integrated and offered some new kinds of tests of skill. Felt great to get 100%. Maybe one day I'll be able to do some of the time trials. Did the first level one but assuming the rest are much harder.

nkarafo

It brings my 1060 to it's knees at 1080/60. I see dips to mid 50s, especially when i'm swimming and i only use the "high" preset, not "very high". According to Afterburner, the GPU is close to 100% usage pretty often.

It's a nice looking game but i don't think the visuals justify the performance. By comparison, Yooka-Laylee (a similar looking cartoonish game) never reaches that GPU usage at 1080/60 and that's on the highest possible graphics setting and despite using Unity as the engine (Snake Pass uses Unreal so i was expecting better performance).

I wonder why is the game so demanding?

Also, THAT MUSIC.

I actually find the music super boring and repetitive... almost depressive.

Great little game with fun, feel-good music. I just can't get the hang of gripping though, but that hasn't stopped me! I just wing it sometimes lol.

ghibli99

A bit of a steep learning curve, and I wish performance/resolution was better on Switch, but once it clicked, I couldn't stop until I'd 100%'d it. Some absolutely infuriating sections, but that made it that much more satisfying to finally make it through. Really, really hope they make a sequel. There's definite room for improvement, and with said refinements and new mechanics, etc., could really be something even more special.

Top Bottom