• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era: Microsoft is planning to kill off Paint after 32 years

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/24/microsoft-paint-kill-off-after-32-years-graphics-editing-program?CMP=twt_gu

Microsoft's next Windows 10 update, called the Autumn (or Fall in the US) Creators Update, will bring a variety of new features. But one long-standing stalwart of the Windows experience has been put on the chopping block: Microsoft Paint.

First released with the very first version of Windows 1.0 in 1985, Paint in its various guises would be one of the first graphics editors used by many and became a core part of Windows. Starting life as a 1-bit monochrome licensed version of ZSoft's PC Paintbrush, it wasn't until Windows 98 that Paint could save in JPEG.

With the Windows 10 Creators Update, released in April, Microsoft introduced the new Paint 3D, which is installed alongside traditional Paint and features 3D image making tools as well as some basic 2D image editing. But it is not an update to original Paint and doesn't behave like it.

Now Microsoft has announced that, alongside Outlook Express, Reader app and Reading list, Microsoft Paint has been signalled for death having been added to the ”features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update" list.

RIP

Kin75Ul3

That's shitty. I use Paint all the time for super quick cropping, screenshots, or adding text to stuff. Basic things but it loads instantly and is so simple it makes it faster.

MrNelson

Banned
What the hell is the point of removing it when they went through the trouble of shipping it with 10 in the first place? Just leave it be and get rid of it in the next OS.

Eh, I really hope they don't.

Paint is an extremely useful tool for secure environments where you can't download other software.

King_Moc

Banned
That's shitty. I use Paint all the time for super quick cropping, screenshots, or adding text to stuff. Basic things but it loads instantly and is so simple it makes it faster.

Same...this is going to be really irritating at work. I often copy images in with the snipping tool and then save them as .Png files.

Lazaro

They're replacing it with Paint 3D which while fun to mess around with is not as nice to use when editing 2D images. They're already made Paint 3D the default edit picture option in insider previews from what I remember.

Luckily Paint.NET is still around and is coming to the Windows Store.

What the hell is the point of removing it when they went through the trouble of shipping it with 10 in the first place? Just leave it be and get rid of it in the next OS.

They're not removing it in the update. Just deprecating it, as all development is now focused on Paint 3D.

Robin64

This. I use it every day for simple things like that, when I don't want to sit and wait for something else more complicated to load that probably won't do things as simply.

Firebrand

I remember my friend showing me Paintbrush on his monochrome laptop and impressing me with how it had "round" brushes.

Can't say I've used it in many years, Paint.NET has been my go-to tool for quick image operations.

jts

...hate me...
Paint is the single piece of software I miss the most since switching to Mac years ago, never found a software where it was just as easy and simple to do some doodles with complete pixel by pixel control, even if the result is rough and low-resolution.

Preezy

I guess they didn't want to Paint themselves into a corner by having to keep on servicing a seldom-used program.

RIP in Paint

jts

...hate me...
Oh, if it's just a program upgrade it doesn't really count as killing Paint and saying it was 32 years old, does it.

Before Paint there was Paintbrush, and I was there too as I child.

microsoft-paint-windows-98-136398854913902601

Paint only shipped since Windows 95, and was a pretty big overhaul. It's "just" 22 years old.

Yeoman

Paint is the single piece of software I miss the most since switching to Mac years ago, never found a software where it was just as easy and simple to do some doodles with complete pixel by pixel control, even if the result is rough and low-resolution.
Same here, it's just so easy and fast.

Not really. It says why in the OP. They have a new program that does both 2D and 3D and has way more features. Don't let nostalgia blind you.

Paint 3D can do everything Paint can, but at first glance it actually seems less capable because much of it's functionality is hidden away in tabs, whereas regular Paint shows everything at once.

It basically has a mobile app UI, which is never a good idea for an PC program.

I still use it. For stupid things at work mainly. Could they not just leave it as is with no updates.
Why are people afraid to let old tech go. Like there's a huge reluctance to ditch 32bit applications in favour of 64bit.

Oh, if it's just a program upgrade it doesn't really count as killing Paint and saying it was 32 years old, does it.

Before Paint there was Paintbrush, and I was there too as I child.

microsoft-paint-windows-98-136398854913902601

Paint only shipped since Windows 95, and was a pretty big overhaul. It's "just" 22 years old.
What this person says. Blast from the past right here.

Top Bottom