• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Legends |OT| Skyrim on Mobile

hollomat

Banned
Elder Scrolls Legends just released on iOS and Android today and in honor of that, I figured I'd create an OT since there wasn't already one. Some of the wording was taken from the Hearthstone OT (the games are similar with a few key differences).

If you like Hearthstone you'll probably enjoy Elder Scrolls Legends as well, and since its free to play, I encourage anyone interested to at least try it out. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm not familiar with how to create them in GAF threads.

What is it?

Elder Scrolls Legends is a free-to-play online Collectible Card Game based on the Elder Scrolls universe. The game is developed by Direwolf Digital, creators of the Eternal Card game (also a free-to-play online Collectible Card Game). Cards are given one of the following attributes Strength (Red), Intelligence (Blue), Willpower (Yellow), Agility (Green), Endurance (Purple, and Neutral (Grey) and each attribute tends to favor a certain style of play (i.e. Strength is more aggressive and Intelligence uses more spells). Decks are created using a minimum of 50 cards of at most 2 different attributes and neutral cards (i.e. you can create a deck with Strength, Intelligence and Neutral cards, but not Strength, Intelligence and Willpower cards). Earn Gold and a card for every three wins and use the Gold to buy booster packs in order to expand your card pool, or use the Gold to purchase a ticket to the Arena where you construct your own deck on the fly using a random pool of all cards in the game. There is no offline play, but there are singleplayer adventure modes.

Platforms

Steam

iOS

Android

Bethesda Launcher

Can I play for free

Absolutely. This game is far far more generous than Hearthstone. While the daily quests are similar to Hearthstone (each day you get a quest that you can complete for between 40-70 gold or a free pack), you get 15 gold and a random card for every 3 wins rather than Hearthstones 10 golds for every 3 wins. The arena rewards are also much more generous.

However, by far the best way to get a collection is through Twitch Drops. After linking your twitch account to your Bethesda account using the link below, simply watch any twitch channel streaming Elder Scrolls Legends and you will eventually win one of the three rewards below. It normally takes me about an hour of watching, and you don't even need to have it onscreen. I open a stream at work, minimize it, and in an hour I have a drop. You can also obtain these drops on the twitch mobile app. You will know when you have received a drop because you will get a whisper on twitch from Bethesda telling you what you've received. Next time you log into the game, you will have the reward. You can only obtain one drop every 6 hours, but come back 6 hours after you've obtained the drop and you can get another. Keep repeating and you'll have quite the collection soon enough.

600 gold
1500 soul gems
A random legendary card.
100 gold
100 soul gems
50 gold

Twitch drop link

To put this into perspective, a common card costs 50 soul gems to craft, a rare costs 100 soul gems, an epic costs 300 soul gems and a legendary costs 1200 soul gems. A pack of cards costs 100 gold, an arena ticket costs 150 gold, and each of the 3 parts of the Adventure costs 1000 gold. With twitch drops you can either get enough gold to buy 6 packs a day, a free legendary a day, or enough dust to craft a legendary and an epic of your choice each day.

Content

The game released back in March, but since then it's received the Dark Brotherhood Adventure which consists of 25 missions spread over 3 different chapters that cost 1000 gold each. These missions are single player and have you battling against the AI. Each of the chapters can also be bought for $7.99 USD or $20 USD for all 3 chapters at once. Completing these missions unlocks 40 cards that can only be obtained through this adventure.

Last month, it also received the Skyrim expansion. Instead of a PVE Adventure like the Dark Brotherhood, the Skyrim expansion added over 150 cards that can be obtained by buying skyrim packs of cards.

Getting Started

As a new player, the first thing to do would be to run through the story mode. It does a great job of teaching you the basics of the game and you also get a bunch of free cards and card packs for playing through it.

The game also gives you for free one of 5 precrafted decks. These decks are fantastic for beginners and are pretty decent. Once you start building up a gold

1) Buy the 4 other precrafted decks for 500 gold each. This will give you more variety in decks to use and gives you a ton of cards for a great price.

2) Buy the dark brotherhood adventures for 1000 gold each. These adventures are fun and give you cards that can only be obtained by buying these adventures.

3) Use some gold on both skyrim and core packs to start building your collection.

4) Once you've learned the game a bit, start playing arena. It costs 150 gold to enter, but you're guaranteed a card pack and some rewards even if you don't win a single game. As long as you win at least 1 game, the rewards will be worth the 150 gold.

5) Spend 1500 gold to purchase the Madhouse collection. These 10 cards can only be obtained this way. However they are very situational, so you really won't need them.

What makes this different from Hearthstone and other card games

By this point you're thinking this all sounds like a clone of Hearthstone. However there are two mechanics that make it very different.

Prophecies
Each hero starts with 30 gold. When the heroes health drops to 25 hp or below and each subsequent 5 hp mark (i.e. 20hp, 15hp, 10hp, etc), a rune breaks and the player whose hp dropped draws a card. If the card drawn is a prophecy card, the player gets to play it immediately. This creates some strategy around when to attack your opponent if you're going to break a rune since you'll be giving them a card and could be giving them a card they can play immediately.

Two Lanes
Unlike Hearthstone, there are two lanes, a normal lane and a shadow lane. The creatures played in one lane can not attack creatures played in the other lane (with certain minor exceptions). Additionally, cards played in the shadow lane gain cover the turn they are played and can not be attacked that turn.

Other Resources

Elder Scrolls Legends Reddit
GAF thread about the beta
Legends Decks - Great site for deck builds
This thread!

Mulgrok

I am looking forward to the new grand melee mode, which is like Hearthstone legendary brawl except it gives you at least 10 packs for 1000 gold even if you don't win a game. If I remember correctly you would have to win at least 3 games to break even in Hearthstone.

hollomat

Banned
I am looking forward to the new grand melee mode, which is like Hearthstone legendary brawl except it gives you at least 10 packs for 1000 gold even if you don't win a game. If I remember correctly you would have to win at least 3 games to break even in Hearthstone.

Yup and that's only if the rewards go your way in Hearthstone.If they don't go your way, you could only get 20 gold, a pack, and a common card for 3 wins.

I'm looking forward to the Grand melee too, but don't forget it's only running for 8 hours on Saturday. Like you said even if I get 0 wins I still get the 10 packs for my 1000 gold, plus the cool alternate art card for Piercing Javelin.

Mulgrok

Yup and that's only if the rewards go your way in Hearthstone.If they don't go your way, you could only get 20 gold, a pack, and a common card for 3 wins.

I'm looking forward to the Grand melee too, but don't forget it's only running for 8 hours on Saturday. Like you said even if I get 0 wins I still get the 10 packs for my 1000 gold, plus the cool alternate art card for Piercing Javelin.

If it is like the other temporary game modes it will be back at least once a month.

tobactrac

Neo Member
Cool, thanks for the heads-up. Only F2P game I've put money into just to support the devs. Really appreciate the Twitch drops stuff.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
is it possible to tell the file size anywhere on Android? I'm fairly new to the smartphone game..

and I have 1.6gig on my phone but the store tells me I need more..

Decided to make this and Gwent my go to digital card games of choice. Now all I have to do is wait for the Gwent app. Already enjoying this on my iPad. Bethesda username is PositiveCalvin for anyone interested in gaining a sparring partner.

Just noticed this is available for android. Looking forward to getting started on it, I'm a suckerfor ccgs.

Can't get in, are the servers down? It says a place will be available in a minute and then it times out.

Ok I'm in now and looking forward to getting cracking, first impressions are great. It's got a quality on par with Hearthstone and by far the most impressive looking ccg on mobile besides the big H.

Just started Eternal a week ago but might drop that for this, I'll see if it clicks. It's so very similar to hearthstone in play style that maybe it's too similar.

Is there an active esl GAF community at all? I enjoy the back and forth of hearthstone GAF and appreciate the help they provide.

GAF help me, I'm so bad at this game. I went like 2/10 today in ranked

Have you spent any gold on card packs yet? From the Reddit it seems that getting a lot of the cards from the gold piece packs, and even better those and the Dark Brotherhood, is the big key to building a stronger, more competitive deck. Watching a few of the Twtich archive stuff on Bethesda's YT has been helpful for me for just grasping basic mechanics too.

Is there an active esl GAF community at all? I enjoy the back and forth of hearthstone GAF and appreciate the help they provide.

Looked in the Community section but this topic is the only ESL OT it seems.

exYle

Have you spent any gold on card packs yet? From the Reddit it seems that getting a lot of the cards from the gold piece packs, and even better those and the Dark Brotherhood, is the big key to building a stronger, more competitive deck. Watching a few of the Twtich archive stuff on Bethesda's YT has been helpful for me for just grasping basic mechanics too.

Looked in the Community section but this topic is the only ESL OT it seems.

Urghhhh, I don't wanna spend money...cheap bastard here

Yeah doesn't seem too popular on GAF. Been like half a week since this thread opened and not even a page has been filled

Urghhhh, I don't wanna spend money...cheap bastard here

Yeah doesn't seem too popular on GAF. Been like half a week since this thread opened and not even a page has been filled

I'm cheap too. You can build up the Gold for at least one pack from a Twitch drop though which is what I'm waiting for.

It's sad that ESL didn't make too much of a splash. People even seemed to rag on it during Bethesda's E3. I guess Heathstone's already hooked GAF

exYle

I'm cheap too. You can build up the Gold for at least one pack from a Twitch drop though which is what I'm waiting for.

It's sad that ESL didn't make too much of a splash. People even seemed to rag on it during Bethesda's E3. I guess Heathstone's already hooked GAF

Yeah, I've been doing the Twitch drops thing, which is a super cool idea. I got a legendary card this morning

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so what's good with these twitch drops

have i missed them already?

i feel like i should just be waiting for Gwent iPhone tbh

so what's good with these twitch drops

have i missed them already?

i feel like i should just be waiting for Gwent iPhone tbh

I got one just last night. I think they're for the games lifetime. Link your Twitch account to your Bethesda one, Watch an hour or two of streamed ESL content from any Twitcher and you randomly get one of the drops: a legendary, gold currency or crystals for card construction.

I'm waiting for Gwent's app too but ESL has a great app. Playing them both and plan to invest in both if I have a few bucks to throw around.

Found this post for newbies on Reddit unsure of where to spend gold or real money if they're interested:

Best value for money:
Brotherhood expansion
Starter pack/Mad prince /60packs
Arena

Best value for gold
Premade 500g decks (get them all)
Arena/Expansions

Best free2play:
Twitch drops
Daily quests
Arena if you can get at least 2 wins in vs or 5 in solo.
3win ladder rewards
card of the month (1-3 per month)
grinding ai for 300souls per day

I'm interested, thanks that's useful. The game seems pretty generous so far and I've also got the standard starter pack. Got a few legendaries already. I'm plowing through the story, on chapter three. Also played a bit of ranked but my deck isn't ready for it yet.

I'm running the default Assassin deck with a few changes and it seems to be doing OK.

Do you know if I can paste a deck list into the android client? I couldn't figure that out.

Finished the three chapter story now today - so good. The final boss actually felt like a boss battle.

Doing my free single player arena run now, 3-0 so far. I'm loving it, it's all so polished and the gameplay so fun. The two lanes and the runes really add depth.

I'm at 8-0 in ranked with the Arcano pre made deck that cost 500. Is pretty decent I'd say! I made a few improvements based on a reddit thread and it's going great guns. I'm at rank 10,one win from 9.

Also got a legendary from a twitch drop after about 3 hours of 'watching'. Awesome value.

Edit - make that 10-0. Up to rank 9. Never had this good of a streak in Hearthstone. Must be because it's more skill based haha.

styl3s

Found this post for newbies on Reddit unsure of where to spend gold or real money if they're interested:
As someone who just started should i get 60 skyrim packs or 60 of each set? I made a killing off not caring about PUBG coins and had enough to sell about $120 worth of invitational and other crates so i don't mind dumping a bit of cash in the game since i absolutely love it. I already bought the 2 under $10 starter things and the mad prince.

Also, how does the twitch thing work? Do you get 1 reward per 24 hours? Multiple rewards? Does having more than 1 stream give better odds?

As someone who just started should i get 60 skyrim packs or 60 of each set? I made a killing off not caring about PUBG coins and had enough to sell about $120 worth of invitational and other crates so i don't mind dumping a bit of cash in the game since i absolutely love it. I already bought the 2 under $10 starter things and the mad prince.

Also, how does the twitch thing work? Do you get 1 reward per 24 hours? Multiple rewards? Does having more than 1 stream give better odds?

Not sure about the packs bundle but the pre made decks are great value at 500g each.

I think the twitch thing is random. At a certain time I think everyone watching a stream is in a lottery to get a drop (I heard every 20 mins but not sure if that's true). You can get multiple in a day. Yesterday was my first day doing it and I got a legendary pack after about 3 hours. Not sure about the multiple streams thing. I doubt it.

hollomat

Banned

They just changed it. You can get 1 reward every six hours now and in addition to the big rewards there's smaller rewards. I usually have 3 or 4 streams up and get a drop within 10 minutes of the six hour reset.

I updated the OP for this change and added the new drops.

Stantron

They just changed it. You can get 1 reward every six hours now and in addition to the big rewards there's smaller rewards. I usually have 3 or 4 streams up and get a drop within 10 minutes of the six hour reset.

I updated the OP for this change and added the new drops.

A dev on reddit mentioned that having more than one stream at a time does not increase rewards/rate. I'd be interested to know if you keep getting drops consistently after the 6 hour window because that's not my experience. It can take anywhere from half an hour to several hours for me.

How about we share some decks?

Here's my "Orcs Be Strongest!" deck, it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, and could use some work, but it's won me a few games. It's a Red (Strength)/Purple (Endurance) 55/50 deck.

3 Nord Firebrand
3 Covenant Marauder
3 Fiery Imp
1 Dragontail Savior
3 Fharun Defender
3 Graystone Ravager
1 Northwind Outpost
3 Orc Clan Captain
3 Orc Clan Shaman
3 Steelheart Vanquisher
2 Wrothgar Kingpin
3 Battlerage Orc
3 Chieftain's Banner
3 Morkul Gatekeeper
3 Skeever Infestation
3 Stronghold Patrol
1 Wrothgar Artisan
3 Bangkorai Butcher
1 Garnag, Dark Adherent
1 Stonetooth Scrapper
1 Fortress Watchman
1 Child of Hircine
1 Initiate of Hircine
3 Unstoppable Rage

I'll share mine at some point just on mobile at the moment so it's a real pain to type it out. It's the pre made Acarno deck with a few alterations. It's a blue yellow deck (mage) and is a control deck. It's awesome.

I've gone 24-5 with it from rank 12 to rank 8. It's incredible,I'm hardly losing ever.

By the way, it's anyone else struggling to remember which colour combos are which archetype? I know some of them like mage an archer but always blank on crusader.

styl3s

So i about to hit level 24 and i noticed you get a legendary based on race and i not entirely sure how that works. Is it based off the character you have as your avatar? Does your avatar effect anything else other than this? I want it for a weenie face deck i am building and i am not sure what to pick to get it.

Is it based off the avatar? If so which one gets me it, if it isn't based off the avatar is it based off the deck you're playing? I thank you many times in advance!

hollomat

Banned
A dev on reddit mentioned that having more than one stream at a time does not increase rewards/rate. I'd be interested to know if you keep getting drops consistently after the 6 hour window because that's not my experience. It can take anywhere from half an hour to several hours for me.

I've consistently been getting drops within ten minutes after the six hour window. I saw that developer post too, but not sure if I believe it.

I have multiple twitch streams going at once and I normally start them around 30 mins before the six hour window is up. Not sure if this actually does help at all, but it seems to since I've seen multiple posts on Reddit about going hours or days without a drop while I almost aways get it within 10 mins (even when the window was 24 hours). I could just be lucky, but that's a huge lucky streak.

I get all my decks from here. I've been playing a lot of battle Mage (red and blue) lately.

https://www.legends-decks.com/profile

Pick a Nord avatar and you have a chance to get that card.

Up to rank 7 with my adapted Acarno deck, nearly 6. Hope to reach 5 by the end of the month. Four would be ideal due to the rank floor but doubt I can play that much.

Still loving this more than HS, though I have gone back to HS a bit recently.

rexor0717

I'm surprised the thread for this game isn't bigger. Gotten into this recently, trying to max out the Dragon pre-con deck because I like the way it plays. Does really well in casuals, and I've just started ranked but all good so far.

I agree, people are sleeping on this gem.

I'm running the pre con mage deck (the Acarno one) and having good success so far. Up to rank 6 now.

Do we have any high rank players on here? I'd be interested in getting tips on my deck to see if I can make it even stronger.

I'm trying cvh's battle mage deck at rank 9 but I'm at a 50% win rate after 18 games. It's annoying as I don't know what's going wrong. Maybe it's just a bad meta for it.

hollomat

Banned
I've never really tried pushing ladder yet. Highest I've gone is rank 8 just to make sure I get one copy of the monthly card and get reset to 9. When I want to try a new deck, I normally go to the legends deck sites, check out the hottest decks and look for one with a bunch of upvotes that suits my play style.

Most of my time is spent in arena, but this month I may craft one of the tier one decks and see how high I can get.

The rewards for twitch drops are insane and I'm currently sitting at 12, gold and 50,000 soul gems thanks to them, so crafting any deck shouldn't be an issue. Ironically though it's the twitch rewards that have been keeping me from really pushing in ranked. One 1500 soul gem drop is enough to craft all 3 copies of the monthly card with 600 gems left over.

I'm also splitting my time between eternal, hearthstone and Gwent. Amazing time for digital card games especially with hearthstone, eternal and elder scrolls legends all available on phones. I'm cautiously optimistic for the reveal of the new magic digital came on thurs too c

I've never really tried pushing ladder yet. Highest I've gone is rank 8 just to make sure I get one copy of the monthly card and get reset to 9. When I want to try a new deck, I normally go to the legends deck sites, check out the hottest decks and look for one with a bunch of upvotes that suits my play style.

Most of my time is spent in arena, but this month I may craft one of the tier one decks and see how high I can get.

The rewards for twitch drops are insane and I'm currently sitting at 12, gold and 50,000 soul gems thanks to them, so crafting any deck shouldn't be an issue. Ironically though it's the twitch rewards that have been keeping me from really pushing in ranked. One 1500 soul gem drop is enough to craft all 3 copies of the monthly card with 600 gems left over.

I'm also splitting my time between eternal, hearthstone and Gwent. Amazing time for digital card games especially with hearthstone, eternal and elder scrolls legends all available on phones. I'm cautiously optimistic for the reveal of the new magic digital came on thurs too c

Wow don't know how you've amassed that much with drops, I leave mine running while at work and only have about 2.5k gems and have made about 3k of gold.

I've been playing a month and made rank 5 last month with a mage control deck. The games were taking 20 minutes so wanted to to something faster this month but it's not working.

I'm supposed to be splitting my time between HS, Eternal and Tesl too but I've pretty much ditched HS and eternal. New magic digital game? What's that?

hollomat

Banned
Wow don't know how you've amassed that much with drops, I leave mine running while at work and only have about 2.5k gems and have made about 3k of gold.

I've been playing a month and made rank 5 last month with a mage control deck. The games were taking 20 minutes so wanted to to something faster this month but it's not working.

I'm supposed to be splitting my time between HS, Eternal and Tesl too but I've pretty much ditched HS and eternal. New magic digital game? What's that?

I've been playing since April and doing the twitch drops since they first came out in June. Even though they've decreased the value of the drops, I'm getting around the same rewards as before since drops are now more frequent and I usually get one big drop a day.

The successor to Magic the gathering duels is being announced tomorrow. I'm keeping my expectations low though.

KuroNeeko

Just started this, along with Gwent, after deciding to branch out a bit from Hearthstone (and Shadowverses).

I like the IP, but feel like the premium cards in this game don't hold up to the ones in HS (and especially Gwent--good lawd).

Probably looking at trying Assassin, Scout, and Sorcerer as P / G / U look like the most fun.

Anyone else feel...put off...by the Twitch Drops? It's a lot of normally gated resources that would take quite a bit of time to get for little effort. It feels like something a dev would do when they start getting desperate...

Top Bottom