• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures TV Networks To Acquire Majority Stake (95%) in Funimation

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://deadline.com/2017/07/sony-pi...y-stake-funimation-japanese-anime-1202139652/

Sony Pictures Television Networks is increasing its footprint in the anime space, with a deal to pay $143 million for 95% of Japanese anime distributor Funimation Productions. Its catalog includes such popular titles as Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan.

The agreement that values the company at about $150 million is subject to regulatory approvals and other closing conditions. Funimation CEO Gen Fukunaga will retain a minority stake in the business and remain in his post.

Funimation licenses and distributes Japanese anime content in the U.S., and operates the subscription streaming service FunimationNow. The company also sells merchandise and DVDs through its website.

“Around the world, Sony’s networks have been major players in the anime space for nearly two decades, and in more recent years we have rapidly increased our networks’ over-the-top and digital offerings to consumers. With the acquisition of Funimation, the combined IP of Animax, Kids Station and Funimation allows us to deliver the best anime to fans across all screens and platforms,” said Andy Kaplan, President of Worldwide Networks at Sony Pictures Television.

Added Fukunaga: “With Funimation’s long-established leadership position in anime and Sony’s direct access to the creative pipeline in Japan, it will be a great partnership to take Funimation to the next level.”

SRG01

This seems like an odd acquisition. Sony was dipping their toes into CG Anime, so maybe this is an extension of it?

Fj0823

I hope you're ready for the Dragon Ball Cinematic Universe!!

First we start off with Dragon Ball Z, because that's the cool one, fuck DB, then we have Dragon Ball Super as the Sequel, we then create a Chiaotzu Spinoff,a Puar Spinoff and a Chi-Chi spin-off.

We will also have a Hit "Hitman"-style movie and "The Pride Troopers" to compete with Guardians of the Galaxy

Then we bring back the cast of evolution for Dragon Ball Z vs Dragon Ball Evolution, estimated revenue: 2 Billion

I know it's TV but that was fun to write

A-V-B

I hope you're ready for the Dragon Ball Cinematic Universe!!

First we start off with Dragon Ball Z, because that's the movie, then we have Dragon Ball Super as the Sequel, we then create a Chiaotzu Spinoff,a Puar Spinoff and a Chi-Chi spin-off.

Then we bring back the cast of evolution for Dragon Ball Z vs Dragon Ball Evolution, estimated revenue: 2 Billion

Honestly I would love an original Dragon Ball movie directed by Edgar Wright lol

sony studios clearly realizes they haven't had enough in ruining the western film industry, they now aim their sights for the western anime distribution industry.

jbug617

Banned
Funimation licenses these shows. Sony would have to go back to the owners if the wanted to do more with the shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sony will probably try to position Funimation as a competitor to Crunchyroll if they have their way.

Hard to say on that avenue given that Funimation and Crunchyroll are already locked into an alliance for the time being.

Ridley327

I wonder what this means for VRV, since the biggest thing they've advertised for their service is being able to browse the Funimation and Crunchyroll libraries at the same time.

Kthulhu

Really hoping this won't negatively affect Funimation's partnership with Crunchyroll or their Blu-ray and DVD sales.

Hopefully Sony can use its influence to bring One Piece to Europe. It's ridiculous that there is no legal way to stream that show here.

orochi91

This is amazing news, Funimation will have access to so many yet-to-be licensed shows.

Its catalog includes such popular titles as Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan.
Those are some seriously popular licenses Sony has just picked up.

Wish someone who knows what this means for the life-action future of those franchises would chime in. Probably nothing, I assume?

Ridley327

Wait, Sony now owns Dragon Ball?

They would own the US distribution rights, not the IP outright, since that's co-owned between Bird Studio (Toriyama's company), Shueisha (the company that owns Shonen Jump) and Toei Animation.

There's nothing to be that worried about at this point in terms of what Funimation will be picking up, but I won't be shocked if Sony does try to cut some contracts short to be able to have them all to themselves, especially if it can help boost Vue subscriptions.

Top Bottom