• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Sole Supplier for Switch Screens Slashing 30% of Workforce Due to Losses

Steiner

Banned
Article / Source

According to The Wall Street Journal, JPI reported a net loss of ¥31.5 billion ($286.4 million) for the financial quarter ending in June, and things don't seem to be looking up. Today it's come to light that JPI announced that it wouldn't rule out a partnership with a Chinese or Taiwanese company to survive. This, despite JPI's goal to be the number one domestic display business in Japan.
Japan Display executives apologized today for poor management of the company, and a drastic restructuring is due to take place imminently. This initiative will result in the loss of 3,700 jobs worldwide -- that's about 30% of JPI's current total workforce. Overseas operations will understandably be slashed, but more injurious is the fact that JPI will be shutting down domestic factories as well.
”We continue to face very severe market conditions," financial chief Takanobu Oshima said, predicting a 15% to 25% drop in revenue in the year ending March 2018 from a year earlier. Much of this loss is due to the fact that Apple, JPI's most prominent and lucrative partner, is moving away from liquid crystal displays in favor of OELD screens. Currently iPhone displays make up over 50% of JPI's revenue, and as Apple makes that shift to OLED, growth and revenue will only continue to retard for the struggling display manufacturer.

Obviously JPI needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs JPI, but it's still kind of sad. The WSJ article states that they're trying to accelerate their shift to produce more OLED displays, but companies like LG and Samsung are just so far ahead.

kami_sama

I knew this was going to happen.
Before we even knew that they were manufacturing the switch's display, they had a lot of trouble, and I think they had to be bailed out by the government a while ago.

Madao

so, since Apple ditched them, does this mean there's no Switch screen shortage atm?

also, what would happen if this company goes under? would Nintendo need to redesign the Switch to replace the screen?

Zedark

so, since Apple ditched them, does this mean there's no Switch screen shortage atm?

also, what would happen if this company goes under? would Nintendo need to redesign the Switch to replace the screen?
Nah, IP'S screens aren't an issue at this moment, they can probably just make a deal with a new manufacturer without too much hazzle.

Deeke[VRZ];245757944 said:
Could this affect Nintendo, or will they just go with someone else to make Switch screens?

Probably the latter. LCD screens aren't really facing a component shortage and quite a few companies produce them. If anything it might raise the cost of manufacturing those screens for Nintendo but that wouldn't make a difference for consumers.

kami_sama

I don't think there has been a shortage of screens, the issues are with the nand memory.

Probably, at least if they want to have a off-the-self display. If they have enough time, the new manufacturer could develop a new screen with almost the same specifications.

Servbot24

Banned
God damn, how can Nintendo be so incompetent?

Big Fat "/s" goes here.

I mean... selecting manufacturers to work with is a massively important part of bringing a product to market. Obviously Nintendo isn't altogether incompetent, but it's very clear they chose their partners poorly.

I would like to say this would not affect Switch stock, but considering Nintendo have already demonstrated they're incapable of delivering proper supply, I can't really say that.

Sad that Apple can just pump up a company and drop them like this. It's not a very responsible way of doing business. I guess Apple is only interested in short term partnerships that offer the lowest price, not long term sustainable ones.

Nintendo should be commended for supporting domestic manufacturing. If Nintendo is not agile enough to pivot away from this risk then they are to be lambasted.

Peltz

Screens are likely not the reason for the shortages in the first place. It's likely the onboard storage and other components.
Sad that Apple can just pump up a company and drop them like this. It's not a very responsible way of doing business. I guess Apple is only interested in short term partnerships that offer the lowest price, not long term sustainable ones.

Nintendo should be commended for supporting domestic manufacturing. If they're not agile enough to pivot away from this risk then they are to be lambasted.
Eh... it's just business. Apple isn't responsible for that company's shortcomings.

Peltz

I'm glad I was able to get my IPS panel.
Here's hoping it doesn't mean a decrease in quality.

😭
Same here. Although maybe it could lead to a shift to OLED and increase in quality. You ever know.

Nevertheless, switch's screen is easily the best screen in the history of Nintendo devices.

Zedark

Nintendo should be commended for supporting domestic manufacturing. If Nintendo is not agile enough to pivot away from this risk then they are to be lambasted.
Well, they don't need to either. They're the biggest around, anyone wants their business, and so sustainability need not concern them from a business standpoint.

lyrick

The Apple conversion to OLED has hit a lot of companies.

This event should have little to no impact on Nintendo or the Switch Screen availability. The size of the workforce at this company is being downsized due to lack of IPS iPhone screen orders. Until they actually convert to an OLED screen supplier, customers looking for supplies of IPS screens will probably be treated very well.

Gestault

I know variations in orders from a company like Nintendo aren't enough to change much in this scenario (especially if it truly was a management issue), but I hate to think skittish ordering from Nintendo trying not to over-supply early on might have somehow contributed to undesirable price fluctuations for the screens on the Switch. I know the manufacturing bottleneck for Nintendo is the mobile chips.

Apple want to switch to OLED, Japan Display don’t make them, what do you expect Apple to do other than switch suppliers?

The funny thing is that if the Switch had more in stock, the company might make more money due to more screens being purchased.

Daedardus

I doubt this will impact the manufacturing of the Switch screen much, it is one of their assured sources of revenue so they're making sure they focus on still producing them. The jobs cuts are more likely to be in departments that provided the cellphone screens to Apple.

Apple want to switch to OLED, Japan Display don't make them, what do you expect Apple to do other than switch suppliers?
Maybe Japan display were stubborn. Maybe Apple is so secretive about their future plans that it doesn't allow their suppliers to keep up with Apple's demands. Who knows. Just strikes me as quite sad.

snap

Banned
Article / Source

Obviously JPI needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs JPI, but it's still kind of sad. The WSJ article states that they're trying to accelerate their shift to produce more OLED displays, but companies like Sony and Samsung are just so far ahead.

I think you mean LG, Sony doesn't produce OLEDs.

Couldn't speculate on what the leaders of Japan Display were thinking. Maybe they were stubborn. Maybe Apple is so secretive about their future plans that it doesn't allow their suppliers to keep up with Apple's demands.

A switch to OLED has been rumored for years and a growing amount of flagships have been moving from LCDs to OLED over the last few years.

Madao

And fuck over early adopters? Sounds par for the course to me.

if the Switch follows the console pattern, every revision will be worse than the original version.

if it follows the handheld pattern, the revisions will be better.

so, it's 50/50 at this point.

qko

I do wonder if Nintendo will be able to either negotiate a new deal if it turns out moving operations to China/Taiwan makes the display cheaper.

Or if JPI going under, Nintendo may find themselves in a bidding war for their business since there is high demand for the Switch.

Blam

if the Switch follows the console pattern, every revision will be worse than the original version.

if it follows the handheld pattern, the revisions will be better.

so, it's 50/50 at this point.

So it's a 50/50 for a 50/50 chance to get worse as it goes on.

I don't think people have anything to worry about.

I think Nintendo execs understand the importance of using only IPS for the Switch—it's a console that focuses on portable split-screen multiplayer which requires good viewing angles.

Nintendo will find other display manufacturers if they need to.

Top Bottom