• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameSpot} Nintendo Switch 2: 11 Features We Want, From Backwards Compatibility To 3DS Support

Topher

Gold Member
After six years, the Nintendo Switch has cemented its legacy as one of the best game consoles of all time. A revolutionary system at the time of its launch, the console's key selling point of seamless gaming at home or on the go was a turning point for Nintendo after its previous device, the Wii U, performed dismally across the globe. The Switch was a game-changer for Nintendo, one which needed very few updates to its hardware over the years when compared to the more frequent rollout of newer DS and 3DS handhelds during its run.

At the same time, the Switch console updates that we have seen have been well-executed and thoughtful spins on the original hardware. The Switch Lite turned the console into a pure handheld gaming console, while the OLED Switch enhanced the experience of playing games on that platform with a better screen and several other small physical tweaks to its design. Currently, it's rumored that a next-gen Switch will launch in 2024.

More than half a decade later, fans are wondering what Nintendo has up its sleeve next. While the company envisioned a long shelf-life for the Switch, the console is beginning to show its age and is slowly nearing the end of its life-cycle. Nintendo has kept a tight lid on what the Switch successor will offer users and how it'll differ from its predecessor, but with the system celebrating its sixth anniversary today, March 3, we decided to compile some of our ideas for the features that we'd like to see when it eventually arrives.

These range from a few obvious ideas on our wishlist such as backwards compatibility and an ergonomic revamp of the Joy-Cons if Nintendo decides to build on the Switch platform, to more subtle but essential tweaks to how games are played and preserved on that future console.

Switch backwards compatibility
With over 122 million Switch consoles sold so far, Nintendo has a massive playerbase to appeal to with its next console, if it allows for those established game libraries to be playable on its new system. Backwards compatibility was one of the major strengths of the Wii U and 3DS console generations, and the option to jump onto a new platform with a treasured library of games would be a major selling point.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles are great examples of previous-gen backwards compatibility, and the Switch 2 mirroring that approach would be a major step forward given the number of first and third-party games released on that console over the years.

More power
If there's one area where the Switch is lagging behind, it's in the graphical hardware department. While it's amazing just how much the console is capable of with its aging hardware--just look at Xenoblade Chronicles 3--the last couple of years have shown just how many compromises are needed to get games running smoothly on that system. No one is expecting Nintendo to somehow figure out how to shrink an Nvidia 40-series GPU onto a tiny chipset, but a solid foundation that can provide a more contemporary and stable gaming experience could help ensure a long and healthy attention-gabbing lifespan for the console.

A shift up to 4K for TV, 1080p for handheld
With more power comes a greater opportunity to create a gaming experience that's comparable to what Sony and Xbox have to offer. While Nintendo's strengths lie in its strong pedigree of gaming over pure graphical grunt, there are more immediate benefits to establishing a higher benchmark for how games run on Nintendo's next system. A 4K output makes text and user interface elements look sharper, while core gameplay looks less muddy and takes advantage of newer TV screens to stand out more. Nintendo's first-party games in particular emphasize a vibrant palette of colors, and seeing those joyful titles pop on newer screens could help sell the identity of this new console.

If the Switch successor retains the portable aspect of its predecessor--and it absolutely should--then the OLED screen should be the new standard as well. While the original Switch still provides a great mobile gaming experience, the OLED model blows it out of the water with its brighter display and more vivid colors. Looks do matter when it comes to gaming, as nothing turns heads quicker than gameplay which unloads a dizzying number of powerful colors directly into your eyeballs.

Improved controllers
The Joy-Cons are one of Nintendo's most innovative ideas, detachable controllers that emphasize the spirit of sharing that has helped make the Switch a blockbuster device. There's a reason why they're not called Joy-Pros, and as the last couple of years has proven there are some definite cons to their design. Awkward to use if you have big hands, subject to analog stick drift issues, and about as ergonomically comfortable as high-fiving a cheese grater, the next Nintendo console could benefit from more comfortable controllers.

Fortunately, Nintendo doesn't have to look too far to get an idea of what would work on this front. Third-party manufacturers such as Hori offer a wide range of officially licensed Joy-Cons that have a more traditional feel to their design, and pinching a few ideas from this playbook would make marathon gaming sessions on the Switch 2 that much more enjoyable.

New controller input methods
One of the most exciting developments in the gaming space recently has been focused on how we interact with games. The PlayStation DualSense controller is a benchmark in haptic feedback design thanks to its nuanced vibrations and adaptive triggers, while the more humble Playdate uses a crank mechanism to adorable effect. Nintendo is a pioneer when it comes to innovative methods for gaming, from the WiiMote motion controller to the 3DS touchscreen and stylus, and the company knows how to make these inputs feel less like a gimmick and more like an essential way to experience its games.

It's a distinctively Nintendo field of expertise, as the company has a knack for creative design that'll hopefully play a large role in establishing the identity of its console.

Upgradeable SSD storage
When it first launched, the Switch's options for storage were simple but reliable. 32GB of onboard storage that could be expanded with a microSD card meant that there was more than enough room for several indie titles and first-party games, but times have changed since then. With games being more demanding and new consoles hammering home the benefits of SSD storage, a more modern solution is required to keep up with the competition.

NvME SSD drives are now far more commonplace and affordable compared to a few years ago, and even if Nintendo opts to use a smaller drive for its next console, it'd still be a game-changer to access games at lightning-quick speeds. Extra storage capacity will always be needed, and if Nintendo follows Sony's footsteps by allowing for first or third-party upgrades, it'll be future-proofing its Switch successor in the process.

Overhaul the eShop to deal with all the shovelware
The Switch eShop library is one of the most impressive digital storefronts around thanks to the sheer variety of games on it, but this also means that a lot of shovelware is available on it. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a major problem, but these low-quality games often dominate eShop pages and, combined with the store's laggy performance, can make it difficult to find what you're looking for. While there's nothing technically wrong with having them up for sale, the next Nintendo console needs to have a serious look at how it curates and promotes games for its storefront, as implementing a form of quality control could allow for real hidden gems to rise to the top.

The return of Mii Plaza and StreetPass
There's a certain social networking magic that made the Wii U and 3DS console generations fondly remembered, something which has been lacking with the Switch. A new Nintendo console could easily recapture that charm with the rebirth of the Mii Plaza, social networking without the toxicity of the modern-day equivalent. The 3DS was especially adept at this thanks to the StreetPass feature, and if you owned one of those consoles, you knew just how exciting it was to go out, return home, and open your handheld device to see how many new friends you'd come across in your travels.

Updated for the next era of Nintendo gaming, and Mii Plaza could shine as a wholesome form of social interaction on the company's next generation of hardware.

Improved gameplay capture options
Compared to PlayStation or Xbox, the game capture options of the Switch are severely limited. Screenshots are an easy tap away, but if you're looking to grab video gameplay of more than 30 seconds, then you're going to need to invest in a capture card. There's an opportunity for Nintendo to offer a much more robust set of capture options for its next console--especially if it seems to have loosened up on its infamous stance towards YouTube--as the more eyes on your product the better. At the same time, integrated approaches to streaming games would also be a sound move, allowing streamers to more easily broadcast their adventures across Nintendo's various titles.

Nintendo 3DS game support
It's a safe bet that NES, SNES, and N64 games will make the jump to the next Switch thanks to the popularity of its online subscription service, but if Nintendo wants to appeal to a different audience, then finding a way to bring its DS and 3DS games to its next console could be a huge reason to sign up. This would likely be one of the biggest challenges that Nintendo has ever taken on with its Virtual Console and retro gaming library, due to the dual-screen nature of its older handheld generation, but it's not an impossible challenge to overcome for a company that thinks outside of the box.

With the closure of the 3DS and Wii U eShops this year, Nintendo is in a prime position to preserve its past as it heads into a new console generation, giving longtime fans a nostalgic reason to stay invested while introducing a new audience to some of the best games from yesteryear.

Make the game carts taste even worse
By now, children with curious appetites have developed a resistance to the infamously foul taste of a Switch cart, so it's time to head back to the kitchen and concoct a new disgusting flavor to coat physical copies of games with. This is naturally for the good of the children and could be an environmentally-friendly way to recycle all those unsold copies of Devil's Third into the essence that carts could be coated with.

No mention of DLSS or upscaling? Hmm.

T4keD0wN

Sure gamespot. Up to 4k for tv in a handheld when not even series x/ps5 gpu at 10x wattage can do that? LOL, go home youre drunk.
Best they can do is like a 2230 ssd with +60% efficency and performance, take it or leave it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Looking at the Steamdeck, I think it’s clear Nintendo can still get by with a 900p display and 1080p TV output. But we’ll see. It all depends on the power of the SoC they go with.

Hopefully they go with a 120hz display

Storage is a tricky one. You can’t go into it with the assumption that everyone who needs more space will buy pricey 2230 NVMe SSDs. They’ll probably use SD cards as expandable storage…works fine for the Steamdeck. Probably standardize around 130 MB/s MicroSD cards.

BC with the Switch is probably a given, for digital games. Ideally they’d do a program to convert physical to digital. Possibly by mailing in game carts to Nintendo and getting a code for digital storefront, tied to your account in return. The alternative (adding a switch game slot) seems cumbersome.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
My list would be something like;

1. OLED screen from the get-go
  2. More powerful
  3. DLSS upscaling on a system level (I.e. used for everything from OS menus to games)
  4. BC with all Switch games
  5. Pressure sensitive shoulder buttons
  6. Improved gyro
  7. Ethernet port included in the dock

Last edited:
All I want is them to use the OLED as a starting point and give it more powerful cpu/gpu/ram, does support, switch 1 bc, and improved battery.

The rest can stay as it is for all I care. I don't mind a 720p screen. It's more than enough for handheld. If they can put 1080p in and keep battery life decent then yeah stick it in. But I'll take 720p and more battery anyday.

Last edited:

2. More powerful
  3. DLSS upscaling on a system level (I.e. used for everything from OS menus to games)
  6. Improved gyro
The oled model comes with Ethernet in the dock.

nintendo-switch-oled-dock-ethernet-port.jpg

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

An new OLED screen with active 3D support would literally be a dream to play 3DS games with an unfoldable bottom touch screen.

Please let me dream, it will never happen.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

They should definitely have some hardware in the dock to help upscale the image to a large TV.

And all the obvious other stuff too.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Essential for me;
  1. Oled screen
  2. Switch backwards compatibility
  3. Continuation of current online program (all currently available N64, GBA, SNES games are accessible)
  4. A much, much better wifi card
Not likely but I want;
  1. Handles, friend list, messaging and party chat
  2. Media apps like Netflix, iPlayer, Now TV and Disney Plus
  3. Themes
  4. Folders
  5. A universal achievement/trophy system
  6. Hall-effect joy sticks
I’m happy with the 720p screen, so I hope they keep that resolution in handheld and use the extra power towards bigger worlds or fancier graphics. From the leaks DLSS seems a go, which would be fantastic.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I would like to have an optional home console with the power of at least Series S. Doesn't need to have exclusives, but all the games at higher resolution and better framerate.

Last edited:

Rykan

I don't get these desires for DS/3DS games on the Switch. Like...why? The only games that would work are games that ironically enough don't use the system fully.

Much rather have Gamecube BC instead. Maybe even Wii support if they can find a solution for the lack of a sensor bar.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
The oled model comes with Ethernet in the dock.
Yeah I know, it also comes with an OLED screen (obviously), but I’m hoping they keep those features going forward.

They tend to cut down on stuff like that to keep costs down. Wouldn’t surprise me if they launch “Switch 2” with a LCD screen and the same amount of dock-ports as the original Switch.

Last edited:

MAtgS

Sure gamespot. Up to 4k for tv in a handheld when not even series x/ps5 gpu at 10x wattage can do that? LOL, go home youre drunk.
Best they can do is like a 2230 ssd with +60% efficency and performance, take it or leave it.
There's been Nvidia leaks sayinf the Switch 2 has DLSS. Plus "up to" doesn't really mean that many games will actually be that high.

I don't care about anything other than:
1. OLED screen
2. backward compatibility with physical and digital games
3. online program continues with offerings, adding more.

1080 for handheld resolution seems like a waste, as does 4k for output.

2. More powerful
  6. Improved gyro
Nice list. I don’t agree with the DLSS. Even though it’s the best upscaler by far at the moment, it gives a lot of horrible artifacts. I wouldn’t want to play any games using it if my eyes are close to the screen.

1. OLED screen

1080P is still nice and noticeable on a small screen. 4K would be overkill for the power it needs to drive it, and I wonder if you’d see a massive difference on a 6 inch screen. 720P vs 1080P is a big step up still though, even on such a small screen. You can on mobiles that that step actually does make a big difference still.

RickMasters

If they add BC I would be tempted to get back into nintendo consoles. As far as im concerned the days of starting your game collection all over again with a new machine are over.

CamHostage

Storage is a tricky one. You can’t go into it with the assumption that everyone who needs more space will buy pricey 2230 NVMe SSDs. They’ll probably use SD cards as expandable storage…works fine for the Steamdeck. Probably standardize around 130 MB/s MicroSD cards.`

Unfortunately, there's not a Nintendo-priced option in high-speed storage at the moment AFAIK, but instant loading has been a godsend on the new consoles (and a potential area of great exploitation for new advances in game development,) and I would put fast I/O with an SSD or other high-speed storage system up at the top of Switch 2 wishlist.

Graphics will be taken care of to whatever extend Nintendo can find it in their hearts to pay for something recent and capable, but you really feel the loadtimes on Switch if you're used to PS5eries X/S, and faster access to more fun is something Nintendo cares about delivering for its gamers. They'll make better games with faster storage, and the games they already have will be more fun to pull out and enjoy.

Xyphie

1. VRR screen, Higher refresh rate like 90-120Hz would be a big bonus aswell. No reason not to go with 1080p or higher either, if you can't run the games at native resolution just use a lower render scale.
2. Would love to see the screen get a taller aspect ratio, like 16:10 or 3:2. 16:9 screen makes the device feel a bit too wide in handheld mode for me.
3. More powerful SoC. The rumored T239 chip is adequate for me and would make the console roughly on par with a PS4 or so performance-wise, except for with more modern technology (more modern than PS5/XSX in fact).

Last edited:

Seider

720p is enough for the screen, as it is 1080p for TV. 1080p in the hand held mode is a waste as 4K on TV. Just as someone already said.

Something in the dock to upscale image would be nice, and of course, more than 0.2 tflops in hand held mode and 0.4 tflops in Dock mode.

Would be nice something like 0.5 tflops in hand held and 1 Tflops in Dock mode. This would be enough for me. And of course compatibility with older Switch models.

Robb

Gold Member
Nice list. I don’t agree with the DLSS. Even though it’s the best upscaler by far at the moment, it gives a lot of horrible artifacts. I wouldn’t want to play any games using it if my eyes are close to the screen.
I can’t say I’m an expert when it comes to these upscalers, but would those artifacts really be that bothersome if you got to play e.g. Tears of the Kingdom at constant 1440p/60fps instead of 720p/30fps(with dips below 30)?

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
1. OLED screen

This. All of it. Most important to me is OLED and backward compatibility.

Sadly I don’t think the next system will offer OLED from the start? As they want to go low with the price. Not sure.

I can’t say I’m an expert when it comes to these upscalers, but would those artifacts really be that bothersome if you got to play e.g. Tears of the Kingdom at constant 1440p/60fps instead of 720p/30fps(with dips below 30)?
Maybe not in that case, but you’re not going to get an 800% performance boost using DLSS, which you’ll need for your example.

Robb

Gold Member
Maybe not in that case, but you’re not going to get an 800% performance boost using DLSS, which you’ll need for your example.
Yeah that sounds unreasonably high now that you mention it. There’s definitely a give and take when it comes to this but I imagine the benefits would be bigger than the drawbacks, at least for a system that’s also portable.

PeteBull

Choose between making a proper handheld or a proper home console. And not half-ass both.
Exactly, till next switch, in docked mode, isnt at least on pair with series s (200$ console now, that launched in nov 2020 at 300$) u can forget about games looking half way decent at least, and i dont mean first/2nd/3rd party exclusives, but actual ports/multiplatform games, coz currently those look on switch roughly half way between ps360 and ps4/xbox one gen games, and its fricken 2023.

Knightime_X

With MS making a deal with nintendo and call of duty, I wonder just how strong it'll actually be?
0% chance it'll ever be on switch, not without being a cloud game.
Can you even do MP with a cloud based game?

VN1X

Banned
With MS making a deal with nintendo and call of duty, I wonder just how strong it'll actually be?
0% chance it'll ever be on switch, not without being a cloud game.
Can you even do MP with a cloud based game?
CoD Mobile is a thing. Something people keep forgetting lol.

xandaca

I'd like compatibility with the Switch Pro Controller (because it's great, and I don't want to spend £50+ buying another iteration of the same thing), backwards compatibility and the ability to transfer your Switch account over to the new console with all saves and downloaded games available. I haven't got a 4k TV so don't care about that, as long as the console is powerful enough to run games smoothly in 1080p I'm perfectly happy. In short, I'm hoping it's a more powerful continuation of the Switch rather than a clean break as new Nintendo generations have been in the past. Oh, and a vastly improved wireless card.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the contents of the article so I don't have to give Lamespot clicks. Anyways, I so hope Super Switch has full bc and a Switch cartridge slot for all my physical games.

Top Bottom