• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AOC have introduced 4 new gaming monitors with Gsync/Freesync and HDR

dr_rus

image5-1-1vvsah.jpg
image2-1-1fcswk.jpg

AOC Agon 3 AG273UG - 27" 3840x2160 144Hz IPS with HDR10 and Gsync - similar to previously announced and now delayed to 1Q18 models from Asus and Acer.

AOC Agon 3 AG353UCG - 35" 3440x1440 200Hz VA curved with HDR10 and Gsync - this one is again similar to two previously announced models from Asus and Acer but according to Kitguru in contrast to those two this AOC model omits FALD backlight.

AOC Agon 3 AG273QCX / AG273QCG - 27" 2560x1440 165Hz TN curved with Freesync 2 / Gsync (non-HDR) - these are somewhat interesting if only for the use of Freesync 2 here which suggest HDR10 support on a TN panel which would be a first.

All of them are expected to hit the market between April and August 2018.

derFeef

Those usually do use the same panels as ASUS, no? Really eyeballing that upcoming 35" from Asus but I can go with a cheaper price :)

kuYuri

I'm glad AOC is making their own version of these monitors if only because they will likely be cheaper compared to Asus and Acer's equivalents.

I wonder if Viewsonic will get in with their own version of these monitors.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
At that release timeframe, OLED should be getting close to catching some of those specs with the new HDMI revisions.

Considering how insane high end monitors are priced, I'd rather just go OLED. Only scary part is desktop burn in.

Durante

AOC Agon 3 AG273UG - 27" 3840x2160 144Hz IPS with HDR10 and Gsync - similar to previously announced and now delayed to 1Q18 models from Asus and Acer.

AOC Agon 3 AG353UCG - 35" 3440x1440 200Hz VA curved with HDR10 and Gsync - this one is again similar to two previously announced models from Asus and Acer but according to Kitguru in contrast to those two this AOC model omits FALD backlight.
Does the 27" model include FALD?
Claiming "HDR" on anything not an OLED without FALD is very dubious to me.

I'm still most excited for the Asus/Acer 35" models. It would have been nice to have a (probably cheaper) alternative, but no FALD is no go.

Those usually do use the same panels as ASUS, no? Really eyeballing that upcoming 35" from Asus but I can go with a cheaper price :)
Usually they are the same quality or cheaper -- but if one is (512-zone!) FALD and one isn't then there isn't even a contest.

For those curious on the HDR specs.

100 percent DCI-P3 colour space and 1000 nits peak brightness

For reference, to meet minimum requirements for "UHD Alliance Premium" (aka, the minimum bar to have a good UHD screen) it needs to cover 90% of the DCI-P3 color space, and in short, 1000 nits brightness. So, it seems like it's checking the right boxes!

For those of you feeling regret over recent purchases, remember there is still tons of room for improvement in displays (as there always is, and you see it every year). Enjoy your monitors, and in a few years pick up monitors which will put these to shame. As an example, there's still significant amount of growth in the color space for displays for HDR. DCI-P3 is simply the most achievable, but the industry is going to keep pushing to get to 100% Rec 2020. Plus, they will have brighter displays for HDR amongst many other cool tricks. I've been enjoying my PG278q and I'll continue to enjoy it until HDR monitors have gone a few generations in before I bite. The cycle of tech will always continue!

Mrbob

That 35 inch screen sounds exactly what I want... How painful will the purchase be? I'm assuming these are connecting through the new displayport?

512 fald zones seems insane though. That's more than 4k HDTVs in a smaller size.

ss_lemonade

Aren't there a lot of TVs that are like this too (not FALD but with HDR)? I know my Samsung KS9000 isn't full array, though whatever local dimming feature that's in there does leave much to be desired.

Dynomutt

Why do gaming monitors have to look like Autobots or Decepticons. Can we just get a sleek monitor with all the features? Monitors don't have to look like the spaceships from Close Encounters.

Kuosi

Could be a time to upgrade from my pg278q, got it at launch and managed to win the panel lottery, but wouldn't mind moving away from TN..

Freaking curved, I hate curved, can't they make then normal flat monitors?

As someone who now owns a 32" 1800R VA panel 1440p monitor (Samsung panel). I actually have to say the curve is kind of important on larger screens when you're viewing them closely. I was super against it on TV's, as truthfully it's only there for appearances on TV's. You typically gain edge lighting and lose FALD, coupled with some uniformity issues on curved screens. However recently with this monitor, you actually start to have color loss and minor hue shift from poor viewing angles up close. The curved monitor genuinely helps with this. I'm serious.

Sygma

AOC Agon 3 AG273QCX / AG273QCG - 27" 2560x1440 165Hz TN curved with Freesync 2 / Gsync (non-HDR) - these are somewhat interesting if only for the use of Freesync 2 here which suggest HDR10 support on a TN panel which would be a first.

All of them are expected to hit the market between April and August 2018.

=( such a far release date ..

Freaking curved, I hate curved, can't they make then normal flat monitors?

I only have a 27" and sometimes I wish it was curved. It already feels big. No way in hell would I get a 32" or above that isn't curved.

I'm disappointed that the 27" 1440p model is only TN. I find it difficult to go back to TN after being used to IPS, although I'd be okay with VA too.

AOC Agon 3 AG273UG looks pretty impressive on paper at least.

I wonder does it support Freesync over HDMI, if it did that would make it the first 4k HDR display compatible with the Xbox One X (in theory).

MS seem to have gone completely silent on the One X Freesync support despite it's mention on the official specifications page, my guess is there are no 4K HDR displays that do Freesync over HDMI yet.

Velurian

Wish it was 32 inch. 27 is a bit small for 4k without scaling.

The AOC AG273UG is the 27-inch 4K IPS panel running at 144Hz. It features Quantum Dots, HDR 10, 100 percent DCI-P3 colour space and 1000 nits peak brightness. Meanwhile, the AOC AG25UCG is the 35-inch ultra-wide display, featuring a curved VA panel running at 200Hz. This monitor also features Quantum Dots, HDR, 100 percent DCI-P3 coverage and 1000 nits peak brightness. However, it does miss out on FALD technology, which comes with the 4K/144Hz panel. This essentially means that the 4K panel will have a better contrast ratio.

KainXVIII

Damn dem prices!
Any chances for low-budget Gsync/Freesync and/or HDR in near future? 21-24" should be sufficient =)

dr_rus

I'm still most excited for the Asus/Acer 35" models. It would have been nice to have a (probably cheaper) alternative, but no FALD is no go.

27" is a copy of Asus/Acer models, 35" misses the FALD it seems. Personally, I'd like to try FALD in action before saying that it's absolutely necessary for HDR. Theoretically, there are corner cases where it will result in more issues than it will solve. And I'm still not convinced that you even need a 1000 nits light source an arm from your eyes to say that it's "HDR".

Btw, BenQ announced a "HDR" 1080p display today: BenQ EW277HDR - 27", VA, 60Hz, 3000:1, 400 nits, 93% DCI-P3 and HDR10 support. This is likely what a low cost "HDR" option will look like in the next couple of years.

derFeef

I have a 27" non-gsync IPS from Asus and a 1080 TI on the way to me... feels like I need to make a small investment for gsync upgrade in the meantime... but I have lived without it for several years now. Hm.

Zeextremekid

Neo Member
By the time these come to market there will be more widespread HDR10 support on PC. Not many games on the market on console and PC with proper HDR yet.

Durante

27" is a copy of Asus/Acer models, 35" misses the FALD it seems. Personally, I'd like to try FALD in action before saying that it's absolutely necessary for HDR.
Without FALD, your in-picture contrast ratio is limited to ~1000:1 on current IPS. I'll never call that HDR :p

dr_rus

By the time these come to market there will be more widespread HDR10 support on PC. Not many games on the market on console and PC with proper HDR yet.

I feel that this is mostly b/c of MS crapping out on HDR support in Win10 1703. Now everyone hopes that this will be fixed in 1709. Consider that at Gamescom NV has just announced that they will be adding HDR support to two PC titles coming out after 1709 ships - Shadow of War and FFXV.

Top Bottom