• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario's Official 2D Artwork is Amazing. Post your favorites! (Warning, image-heavy!)

Peltz

This is a thread dedicated to 2D drawings of Mario by Nintendo. Below is an example of what I am NOT talking about:

Mario_Artwork_%28alt%29_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

Yes, these renders are great, but not what the thread is about. Below are examples of what I am talking about:

gb_tribute__super_mario_land_by_marcshort-d5hhxf7.jpg

Battle.jpg

2471162-9486603886-Super.jpg

2471160-8977744734-image.jpg

10d2049ec633545d41ba105d98426805.jpg

Super-mario-kart.jpg

25ef968e11f1ae350d5909470be528e5--retro-games-super-mario.jpg

dokidokipanic17.jpg

a08ef4c99a0360abc321fa7e5a835839--classic-video-mario-brothers.jpg

Mario-Bros-Side-Art.jpg

latest

There's something about these 2D drawings that brings me back to my childhood. Please post your favorites.

Firebrand

While promotional art during the early 90s could be all over the place in style, I have a soft spot for the classic stuff around SMB3 and SMW. Was happy to see that reappear for some artwork in SM3DW.

Their CG stuff has gotten better over time, but it still feels a bit lifeless.

I'd absolutely love a 2D Mario with that classic art style, or Mario & Luigi's which is also awesome.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
I would DIE for a 2D, handdrawn Mario in this style.

Think Wario Land: Shake It.

God.

Syril

My favorite is Masanori Sato's illustrations for the Mario and Luigi games. I like the little details he added to distinguish the bros from each other like Luigi's striped socks always being visible.

maxcriden

Super Mario postage stamps just launched in Japan.

00000670_820_461.jpg

00000670_01.jpg

Kotabe's Mario art is my fave, for sure. I'm not sure if he did the art for these stamps but it looks similar to me. His art or something in the style of it adorns my Wii U GamePad cover (from GameStop). And then I love the inclusion of his art in 3DL and 3DW.

Kotabe-related threads:

New Summer Wallpaper from Nintendo reveals Mario's CHONCH status (image appears to be broken)

Nintendo Illustrations to Highlight The Wii U Difference (JP)

Old Iwata Asks: Yoichi Kotabe - The father of Mario art

(On mobile so this post is a rerun but I want to post more when I can and there's some radness at those links)

yuoke

Banned
My favorite is Masanori Sato's illustrations for the Mario and Luigi games. I like the little details he added to distinguish the bros from each other like Luigi's striped socks always being visible.

It's too bad they had start making it more mainstream. Brown mustaches now for some reason, the normal luigi green instead of midnight green, and no socks.

Mario_Luigi_Paper_Mario_and_Starlow.jpg

13ruce

Banned
Amazing honestly most of Nintendo's official artwork is god tier good.

And the Mario ones can be so damn good at times. I like the ones in OP's post a real lot.

I have most of them saved including rare Nintendo art. But a bit too difrixult to upload and share. But there is some nice mario 3 art out there with peach and such

Ivan

That Super Mario Land is one of my all time favorites. Where did you find such a quality one? :)

Willenium

The original Super Mario Land art always hit me in the right spots.

180px-SkyPop_SML.png

tumblr_npkgl65VQv1tu022ro4_400.png

604c684512d6eb374cf3ab67d34545bd.jpg

and as weird as SMB2 is, a lot of the art from that game is etched in my brain as 100% iconic:
20131209-HP-SMB2_Turnip.jpg

smb2pngoriginal.png

woopWOOP

I had that SMB3 poster. Bowser with a cape is actually kind of badass

And I never seen that Mario 30th anniversary image before, love it

The 2D animated Japan commercials still look great too
mariopaint.jpg

Top Bottom