• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asia Nikkei: Japanese McDonald's fans select 'Makudo' as official nickname

ggx2ac

More at the link: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Co...ald-s-fans-select-Makudo-as-official-nickname

What do you call the world-famous hamburger chain with the golden arches? That was the question on the ballot in a recent "referendum" conducted by McDonald's Holdings Co. (Japan) .

Are you a Makku or a Makudo kind of person?

There were two candidates: "Makku," the Japanese word for Mac or Mc, and "Makudo," which sounds almost like the French nickname for the restaurant, "McDo."

The less popular candidate won the popular vote.

The battle over the two nicknames ended with 49% supporting Makku and 51% Makudo -- despite the fact that the latter nickname is common only in 11 western Japan prefectures, including Osaka.

CEO will now appease Makudo fanbase with greeting message.

Given the outcome, part of the company's Japanese website is now written in "Kansai-ben," or western Japan dialect, with a rare greeting message from CEO Sarah Casanova in the dialect for a week until Aug. 28. This was a campaign promise.

There were Makku and Makudo burgers for this referendum.

"Both were delicious"... *Tweet*

The company prepared two special menus for the referendum -- roast beef burgers for Makku to represent Tokyo in eastern Japan and beef cutlet burgers for Makudo to represent Osaka in western Japan. Customers were asked to tweet and/or retweet the names of the burgers to show their support.

Edit:

Here were the participating burgers:
(Mind the Google translate)
DH_dDjJUIAQlpwl.jpg

DH_dFSiUIAA_Jj0.jpg

bluethree

Oh so that's what the special menu here was about. I honestly didnt know. I'm on #teammakudo personally. Also the mcnuggets with okonomoyaki mayonaise are really good

Callego

Anything's better than Mickey D's. That's the same amount of syllables as McDonalds!

In Australia we call it Maccas, which I think sounds well when spoken. "I'm going to Maccas"

I'm always interested in regional nicknames, how the same thing can be interpreted in so many ways.

Desmond

Lol, why is this an article? I assumed the campaign was done tongue in cheek, pitting Kanto against Kansai. (team Makudo やで) Oh but it's wacky Japan, of course we need an article on everything that comes out of the country. :/

ggx2ac

Lol, why is this an article? I assumed the campaign was done tongue in cheek, pitting Kanto against Kansai. (team Makudo やで) Oh but it's wacky Japan, of course we need an article on everything that comes out of the country. :/

No clue, but was curious to see what other nicknames McDonald's has from people posting in here since it mentioned in the article that the French call it "McDo".

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Well McDonald's themselves held the event, so it's not the normal "whacky japan" blog.

matt360

マック. But ever since they discontinued the quarter pounder they're dead to me.

Until the Tsukimi burger hits next month

I don't think I have been back to McDonalds since The King finally returned to Osaka.

I haven't tried the new Wendy's yet either, but I hear they are legit as well.

Because it is interesting and funny?
Feel free to make your own deep and insightful threads, I guess.

Team Makku. That's what my gf used when I lived there, so it stuck.

hirokazu

There's a clear distinction between where people say Makudo and where people say Makku.

https://twitter.com/AkibaDailyNewsM/status/853905949123158016

Hint: It's only a very limited area where people say Makudo, centered around the Kansai region.

Makudo didn't win because of the way they called it, though. It won because the roast beef burger was shit and the "roast beef" contained pork.
Yeah, looking at the corresponding burgers, it’s no surprise Makudo won. It’s clearly a better burger.

Sakura

マックしか聞いたことがない

Desmond

Well McDonald's themselves held the event, so it's not the normal "whacky japan" blog.
I'm well aware of that. This article just screams writing about something bacause it just so happened to be in Japan, ie, the shite RocketNews make their cheddar with.

Also, screw マック :p

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm well aware of that. This article just screams writing about something bacause it just happened to be in Japan, ie, the shite RocketNews make their cheddar with.

I used to shit on rn24 but some nice restaurant recommendations....

_Ryo_

A パス person because McDonalds Japan is hyaku percent gomi.
This post is trash irregardless if McDonalds Japan is actually 100% trash or not.

Mixing up かな and ローマ字 is a great evil.

As for the winner. The correct choice was made. Beef cutlets > roast beef.
Ergo マクド must win.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This post is trash irregardless if McDonalds Japan is actually 100% trash or not.

Mixing up かな and ローマ字 is a great evil.

As for the winner. The correct choice was made. Beef cutlets > roast beef.
Ergo マクド must win.

Mcdonaldsわ5三daよにゃ

Alienfan

Anything's better than Mickey D's. That's the same amount of syllables as McDonalds!

In Australia we call it Maccas, which I think sounds well when spoken. "I'm going to Maccas"

I'm always interested in regional nicknames, how the same thing can be interpreted in so many ways.

Same in New Zealand.

What's the regional nickname in the US?

Top Bottom