• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: [Budget 4k] Destiny 2 vs GTX 970/ GTX 1060: 30fps Is Easy, But What About 60?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
a 970 at 4k 60fps? i doubt it. maybe with everything completely turned down.

i'd rather play at 720p 60fps than 4k 30fps or 4K ~60fps with lots of drops.

Lol, you should have been able to do.

I meant 60 fps minimum, I think I could have 60 fps average, yeah.

In any case at 4K it needs a 1080Ti

destiny2-gpu-bench-4k-highest.png

ISee

4k/60 on a 1080 is definitely doable with turned down DOF and shadows to medium.

And now off to watch the video.

nOoblet16

Pretty damning that a 970 can do native 4K/30FPS at almost highest settings but Pro does CBR +dynamic resolution at not even highest settings. Yea the 970 is better but not by much.

Btw the nvidia framerate monitoring tool worked in Destiny 2 beta.

Lister

Banned
Pretty damning that a 970 can do native 4K/30FPS at almost highest settings but Pro does CBR +dynamic resolution at not even highest settings. Yea the 970 is better but not by much.

Btw the nvidia framerate monitoring tool worked in Destiny 2 beta.

Maybe the devs have figured out how to code to the metal on PC!!

;p

Durante

I have to dig out that post some time where someone claimed (over a year ago) that a 970 would be useless in a year compared to a PS4 for new games.

I have a 1060, and I'm running on an aging i5 4570K.

I went to FXAA, put DOF down a notch and used HBAO instead of 3d.

I could play this in VR at 4k. (90FPS minimum)

This game is optimised as *fuck* and I love it. Vicarious Visions know their shit.

ISee

To be fair, as this is a Nvidia sponsored and bundled game I imagine Nvidia is also helping a bit and it is not just VV.

jonno394

I have a 1060, and I'm running on an aging i5 4570K.

I went to FXAA, put DOF down a notch and used HBAO instead of 3d.

I could play this in VR at 4k. (90FPS minimum)

This game is optimised as *fuck* and I love it. Vicarious Visions know their shit.

You're playing 4k/60 with a 4570k/1060? Wow, maybe I need this (I have a 1060 and 4670k)

Does the FPS counter in Geforce not work in Destiny 2 Beta? Without touching the video settings and the game choosing 4k, it showed it running around 40fps

And couldn't the 1060 be OC'd to 140 Core Clock and 760 for Memory Clock?

tuxfool

Banned
I have to dig out that post some time where someone claimed (over a year ago) that a 970 would be useless in a year compared to a PS4 for new games.

Eh, on the basis of RAM issues it does have problems from time to time. But it certainly isn't useless.

Durante

Eh, on the basis of RAM issues it does have problems from time to time. But it certainly isn't useless.
Well, yes, my reply back then was that you might have to step down texture settings a bit in some games, but could certainly go higher in other settings instead.

With that one caveat (which only applies to some games) it very clearly still outperforms PS4 across the board.

ISee

Does the FPS counter in Geforce not work in Destiny 2 Beta? Without touching the video settings and the game choosing 4k, it showed it running around 40fps

And couldn't the 1060 be OC'd to 140 Core Clock and 760 for Memory Clock?

At the beginning even RTSS worked.

Most 1060s are able to hit about 1.95-2GHz. vram mostly depends on the manufacturer. Samsung DDR5 seems to be able to hit higher speeds then DDR5 from micron.

Marmelade

Maybe the devs have figured out how to code to the metal on PC!!

;p

And to think that there are still people who really think that you need vastly more capable hardware on PC than what's in the consoles to get a similar experience because of that...

Joey Ravn

Banned
Glad to see Destiny 2 on PC is not an afterthought. VV has done their work with this version.

I honestly would like to see more videos devoted to higher framerates (120 FPS, 144 FPS) for people with G-Sync or those who prefer performance over image quality.

I meant 60 fps minimum, I think I could have 60 fps average, yeah.

In any case at 4K it needs a 1080Ti

destiny2-gpu-bench-4k-highest.png

The trick is to ignore max settings. Often you can get surprisingly high resolutions and framerates on modest harware but you have to run at High instead of Ultra. The increased resolution and framerate is almost always better for the overall presentation and play-ability compared to maxed settings.

If you're not allergic to turning down some of your more demanding settings you can get a ton more mileage out of your PC components.

I have the same as yours and no there is no way anything close to 4K 60. 1440p 60 on high was about my max.

I had it running at 60fps locked on max settings except for MSAA at 1080p & 130% internal resolution (which I believe somewhere close to 1440p, though not sure how it works compared to native 1440p). The cpu is i5 7600.

I had it running at 60fps locked on max settings except for MSAA at 1080p & 130% internal resolution (which I believe somewhere close to 1440p, though not sure how it works compared to native 1440p). The cpu is i5 7600.

Right but that's not anywhere near 4K that the other person suggested they were running at 90 FPS.

Wonko_C

This finally proves that if this kind of computer can't do "4K"@60 then no way the XBX/Pro can either.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

It's more impressive considering I built a gaming PC with a 970 in it in 2015 which cost me £850 and the PS4 Pro was £350 in 2016. The Pro is great value for what it does imo.

rtcn63

Even my old 670 was besting base PS4 games. (I own a PS4) Although to be fair it was like a $400 card on release. I'm expecting my replacement 1060 to last into the PS5/XB2 era (for 1080p).

fuzzyset

I used the default settings with my 970 and it ran between 50 and 80 FPS @ 1440p. Gsync makes the up and down fine. Thought the game looked great.

I have not seen this at all, unless you're talking about having texture quality settings which exceed the console versions? Do you have any examples?

JWiLL

Banned
I am so envious of people who bought a GTX 970 at launch. Such a beast of a card.

The "70" series is always the price/performance king. Certainly not for "budget" builds, but worth shelling out the extra cash for an upgrade.

I doubt we'll see another Pascal-like leap with Volta, but it was crazy how a 1070 outperformed the previous generations Titan considering the price difference.

molnizzle

The 970 I got for $250 during a Newegg flash sale was one of the better PC purchases I've ever made.

Still crushing it at 1080p years later.

rtcn63

The "70" series is always the price/performance king. Certainly not for "budget" builds, but worth shelling out the extra cash for an upgrade.

I doubt we'll see another Pascal-like leap with Volta, but it was crazy how a 1070 outperformed the previous generations Titan considering the price difference.

This gen, it may have actually been the 580/1060. At least early on, as the 1070 and 1080 were difficult to find at MSRP (early stock issues + founder's BS). The 1060 launch didn't suffer from the same magnitude when it came to supply and was generally available at the advertised $250-$330 for AIB cards. (The Asus Strix was $330...)

Plus from what I've read, it's a much better 60 card than the 960 was in both price and relative performance.

Top Bottom