• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: [Budget 4k] Destiny 2 vs GTX 970/ GTX 1060: 30fps Is Easy, But What About 60?

DF keeps going with this myopic view where it's either resolution or FPS.

Nope. Performance can only be evaluated when you mix those with graphic quality. Every game can potentially run on a computer 10 years old, if you just play it in wireframe without lighting and textures.

I was pretty happy with 4K at 30 FPS on my native 4K monitor during the beta period.

Yeah, my Seiki TV can only output 4k at 30fps due to not having newer HDMI version support for the model itself, but even then D2 Beta at times was flat out beautiful. Since I am used to 30fps on consoles anyway, it was the same game speed but way better looking to me.

Ps84NX9.jpg

Head.spawn

DF keeps going with this myopic view where it's either resolution or FPS.

Nope. Performance can only be evaluated when you mix those with graphic quality. Every game can potentially run on a computer 10 years old, if you just play it in wireframe without lighting and textures.

It seemed like the entire point they were pushing in the video was to find balance between graphics/resolution/30fps or 60fps though..

Thanks!
Edit: Richard could have gone even lower but the Pentium being able to keep 60fps is really amazing. This should run on almost anything for 1080p30.

True. If you're only aiming for consoles performance (1080p/30), any PC that the majority of PC gamers have would do just fine.

Gitaroo

can 970 do 1440p@30fps at very high setting? What about 1080p@60fps at very high setting? Wish Bungie would include checkerboard rendering for PC too.

I'm really torn on this, got my PS4 copy arriving today, have the Pro so checkerboard/30 but also recently picked up a laptop with a GTX1060/i7 combo that should run this easily at 1080/60 (only a 1080 display, unless I hooked up to my TV)

I have to dig out that post some time where someone claimed (over a year ago) that a 970 would be useless in a year compared to a PS4 for new games.

not sure if youre referring to me or not. i think i remember saying a ps4 pro would perform similar to a 970(better in the most optimized cases) because at the time the sentiment here was that it would be 960 level

I have to dig out that post some time where someone claimed (over a year ago) that a 970 would be useless in a year compared to a PS4 for new games.

Oh man...

The 30 -> 60 at console settings that requires at least a 970:

This is the RELEVANT news I was warning about a while a go and everyone was laughing at me.

Just a year ago to double the PS4 performance you needed a 770. You had that much of a headroom. Now a 770 you can BARELY reach console level performance at 30fps. And sometimes not even that.

Wait another year and you'll see the other prophecy come true: the 970 will be needed merely for parity with a PS4.

You'll see.

Console hardware is eating alive PC hardware year after year. And you need to constantly upgrade barely to keep up.

The GTX 970, especially when overclocked is able to hold it's own against the PS4 Pro's GPU.

not sure if youre referring to me or not. i think i remember saying a ps4 pro would perform similar to a 970(better in the most optimized cases) because at the time the sentiment here was that it would be 960 level

Here we are seeing a case where a GPU of similar computational capacity (970 vs. PS4PRO) is getting much higher headroom seemingly due to having more dedicated bandwidth.

Durante

No, it was about he PS4 non-pro. It really was that stupid.

And there it is.

JWiLL

Banned
The GTX 970 is not more powerful than the PRO's GPU, I don't know where this is coming from all of a sudden....

Probably because it can push 1400mhz+ on the GPU clock and has higher memory bandwidth. Pro's GPU is 911mhz.

The 4 gig VRam will limit it in certain situations, particularly in pushing 4k, but outside of that it's definitely faster.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2876/playstation-4-pro-gpu

The 970 is estimated at 135% of the Pro's GPU performance there and that's not a custom OC benchmark.

I'm not sure what's so surprising about that, considering the card cost as much as a PS4 when it launched.

The GTX 970 is not more powerful than the PRO's GPU, I don't know where this is coming from all of a sudden....

Not on paper, no. It's 3.9 TF compared to PS4 Pro's 4.2 TF. However, given that Nvidia cards routinely punch above their TF weight I'd say there's a good chance that the gtx 970 performs better in the real world.

KageMaru

Probably because it can push 1400mhz+ on the GPU clock and has higher memory bandwidth. Pro's GPU is 911mhz.

The 4 gig VRam will limit it in certain situations, particularly in pushing 4k, but outside of that it's definitely faster.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2876/playstation-4-pro-gpu

The 970 is estimated at 135% of the Pro's GPU performance there and that's not a custom OC benchmark.

I'm not sure what's so surprising about that, considering the card cost as much as a PS4 when it launched.

Games can't use all 5GB in the Pro for graphics, so it kind of evens out in the end for the 970 in terms of memory limitations. It's really no surprise the 970 outperforms the Pro GPU.

The Pro is equivalent to my 280X. The GTX 970 outperforms the 280X in pretty much every regard.

For some reason I thought the Pro was like a 480 or something.

I assumed the reason my PC was outperforming it by a large margin was the CPU.

Lister

Banned
Not on paper, no. It's 3.9 TF compared to PS4 Pro's 4.2 TF. However, given that Nvidia cards routinely punch above their TF weight I'd say there's a good chance that the gtx 970 performs better in the real world.

I would categorize this as Nivid'a GPU reaching closer to it's 3.2 theoretical max vs AMD's GPU on the Pro being unable to fully utilize it's max throughput.

Which I guess is just another way of saying it ;)

Blam

If I could play this beta with everything maxxed out on 1080p at 100-120 fps, and 60fps locked with no dips. I'm sure I can do 4K if I just leave the AO and Shadows a bit lower.

Caayn

I think the Pro is closer to a 470 than a 480.
The PS4 Pro GPU has the same number of cores, texture units and ROPS as the RX 480 does, however it's downclocked to 911Mhz from the 1120Mhz base clock on the RX 480. Putting around a RX 470 depending on how far it boosts.

PS4 Pro: 4.2TFLOPS
RX 470: 3.7~4.9TFLOPS
RX 480: 5.1~5.8TFLOPS

The RX 470 and 480 do have a massive bandwidth advantage over the PS4 Pro.

If I could play this beta with everything maxxed out on 1080p at 100-120 fps, and 60fps locked with no dips. I'm sure I can do 4K if I just leave the AO and Shadows a bit lower.

Depth of field had a big impact as well, so you can get more headroom by kicking it down a notch with minimal visual impact.

I had minimum 60 fps @4k by using high preset, except textures at highest. It went up to 80 - 90 quite a few times. Did shutdown DoF / motion blur tho

See I'm contemplating double dipping cause I've got a 1080 but I'll only do that if I get a significant improvement over the PS4 Pro , as in 4K/60fps.

So it's possible to lower some settings to achieve this? Would the graphical fidelity be higher than PS4 pro with those lowered settings?

The GTX 970, especially when overclocked is able to hold it's own against the PS4 Pro's GPU.

1) I made a general case that applies to titles that are badly optimized and rushed. Picking what appears as one of the best optimized title of the year is just about cherry picking.

1bis) Overclocking can't get into this argument as it's variable and with its own risks and downsides. We also don't know how well the game would run on an uncapped framerate on the PS4 Pro, it might as well run to an average of 40-50. We don't know. And we also don't know if this limit is more due to the CPU rather than the GPU.

2) What I complained about here is that DF is making comparisons without firstly establishing what graphic settings the PS4/PS4 Pro runs at. It's all about guesswork. You don't make a "technical analysis" based on guesswork. Maybe the conclusion is the same, but the analysis is poor.

Instead about the 970/PS4/PS4 Pro comparison I can't remember right now a graphically intensive game that came out this year. Horizon is an exclusive. What else came out at this level? Nier Automata as far as I remember had lots of problems, running at worse LODs than even on PS4.

The 970 is definitely holding up better than I expected, but I still believe the gap is narrowing and I'd like to see a comparison of Battlefront or COD or Farcry 5 to see how they run on a 970 at *console settings* (and not just "guesswork").

What about last year Battlefield 1 and COD? I do remember COD ran very poorly on PC.

Sygma

See I'm contemplating double dipping cause I've got a 1080 but I'll only do that if I get a significant improvement over the PS4 Pro , as in 4K/60fps.

So it's possible to lower some settings to achieve this? Would the graphical fidelity be higher than PS4 pro with those lowered settings?

Well I have a i7 4790k - 16gb ddr3 - gtx 1080 and nothing actually is overclocked in my rig

Otherwise

4zKL.png

qGAQ.png

pOGR.png

gvB2.png

7lK2.png

What do you think ?

Its honestly night and day. Even more so when you take in consideration the particles effects which are considerably bumped on PC

1) I made a general case that applies to titles that are badly optimized and rushed. Picking what appears as one of the best optimized title of the year is just about cherry picking.

You can find exceptions on both the badly optimized and greatly optimized side. The rule is the same: The 970 will always perform much better than the PS4. PS4 will never catch up.

The 970 is definitely holding up better than I expected, but I still believe the gap is narrowing and I'd like to see a comparison of Battlefront or COD or Farcry 5 to see how they run on a 970 at *console settings* (and not just "guesswork").

What about last year Battlefield 1 and COD? I do remember COD ran very poorly on PC.

Why though? You have no data to support that belief. BF1 and COD Infinite Warfare run great on PC, I played both on a 2GB GTX 660 and performance was excellent.

napata

Instead about the 970/PS4/PS4 Pro comparison I can't remember right now a graphically intensive game that came out this year. Horizon is an exclusive. What else came out at this level? Nier Automata as far as I remember had lots of problems, running at worse LODs than even on PS4.

No this wasn't true. It was a problem when combining certain graphical settings that the ps4 didn't have. It was a problem with the MSAA & AO if I recall correctly.

1 out of 100 games does not mean that the gap is narrowing. Arkham Knight also ran bad on PC when it released at the start of the gen. You'll always have ports that won't really perform as they should, this is true on the console side as well btw. I don't really recall AW running that poorly with console settings though.

At the moment a 970 easily beats the Pro in 95% of all games and I don't see this changing. A comparison with a regular PS4 is just stupid.

You can find exceptions on both the badly optimized and greatly optimized side. The rule is the same: The 970 will always perform much better than the PS4. PS4 will never catch up.

The rule is that good and bad games is what you get on PC. It's chance. Sometime a game you expect performs well, sometimes it's crap. On PS4 you have a certain guarantee that the baseline works as it's meant to work.

I can be proved wrong if, say, Farcry 5 comes out and you can play it at exact console settings on a 960 or anything older, without dips or other issues. We'll see. I'm just guessing as everyone else.

The problem is again we rarely see comparisons shots to establish console settings, so it's not easy to properly compare things. Sometimes console settings are around "medium", sometimes they are almost exactly as PC maxed. Without establishing this it's pointless to make "technical analysis" as DF is doing.

I do not think this is cherry picking, but one of many titles that crushes the base PS4 in performance / IQ settings on a 970 based machine. The fact that it also best PS4pro is just a nice cherry on the top for the comparisons with the pro.
1bis) Overclocking can't get into this argument as it's variable and with its own risks and downsides. We also don't know how well the game would run on an uncapped framerate on the PS4 Pro, it might as well run to an average of 40-50. We don't know. And we also don't know if this limit is more due to the CPU rather than the GPU.
It is the ability of PC hardware and something Maxwell GPUs do extremely well (I am +225 on my Maxwell core and +550 on the memory). Running for more than 2 years now.
2) What I complained about here is that DF is making comparisons without firstly establishing what graphic settings the PS4/PS4 Pro runs at. It's all about guesswork. You don't make a "technical analysis" based on guesswork. Maybe the conclusion is the same, but the analysis is poor.
They will probably have the better way to make the comparison of exact graphical settings when the game actually launches and they can run them side by side or use the dual input option they have. I honestly trust Richard though to not make the comparison to PS4Pro in bad faith though in this current video.

Tons of games have come out this year that look great and are AAA: Prey, The Surge, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wild Lands, For Honor, etc. They all run really well. You mentioning Nier AUtomata for some reason, a slightly botched port which is generally not known for its technical graphical prowess on any platform, is quite the transparent argument.
You expected the 970 to be equalised and bested by base PS4, which is absurd, own up to it IMO. In terms of comparisons with PS4 and PS4Pro at console graphical settings, this channel may interest you greatly. It shows the 970 performing basically like you would expect it to, providing PS4 graphics at 60 fps (with some extra bells and whistles) or PS4Pro like performance, or even better than PS4pro performance. Analogue Foundry
I have heard nothing of the sort about it running poorly. We know that the console version of the game has very specific "optimisations" the PC version does not make available. The consoel versions have a dynamic resolution based upn MSAA and dynaic/artist tagged alpha transparency resolutions. So getting a PC running at "console settings" is not exactly do able, since it is shifting the internal resolution of various internal buffers below native resolution constantly on consoles.
No this wasn't true. It was a problem when combining certain graphical settings that the ps4 didn't have. It was a problem with the MSAA & AO if I recall correctly.
Yep.

napata

The rule is that good and bad games is what you get on PC. It's chance. Sometime a game you expect performs well, sometimes it's crap. On PS4 you have a certain guarantee that the baseline works as it's meant to work.

If your baseline is 15-20 fps then yeah but it's certainly not my baseline. Honestly though there isn't any garantuee when it comes to performance & input lag. Even first party games occasionally drop the ball.

The problem is again we rarely see comparisons shots to establish console settings, so it's not easy to properly compare things. Sometimes console settings are around "medium", sometimes they are almost exactly as PC maxed. Without establishing this it's pointless to make "technical analysis" as DF is doing.

That's because it's very hard to compare because consoles games use dynamic settings. Usually consoles settings are just a mix of everything with some on low and others on max. It's usually the less intensive settings that are maxed on consoles like post processing & textures whereas stuff like LOD is at low or sometimes even lower than low.

Anyone with a 1070 laptop test the game out? I plan to play with a controller so I plan to use DSR at 4K since my laptop has a GSync display.

So 30fps and higher is fine by me. If I decide to go with mouse, I'll just lower settings and resolution to keep it as close to 120hz as possible.

napata

absolutely not

Eh. I think if you take all games in consideration with Pro support he isn't that far off. At best it matches a 970 and at worst it's slightly exceeds a 7850. And there are more shitty-mediocre Pro games than good ones.

Even first party support is fairly shitty atm. I own a Pro and honestly I expect more than just a 1080p to 1440p bump. I guess for certain games bottlenecks just don't lie in pure GPU power. I've even seen die hard Sony fanboys on here say that the Pro support sucks.

Lots of gamers out there believe that PC hardware becomes totally worthless after a couple of years and that optimizations will make consoles rocket past any hardwate limitations.

That's because it's true bro. Most developers are lazy and don't code to the metal substrate and use outdated coding practices that don't take advantage of consoles deep interconnections that provide a significant performance boost if used correctly. People who say Jaguars are slow don't know how to use them, if developers applied more recent neural network techniques directly to jaguar cores without using a wrapper they'd see a tremendous leap in everything, not even getting into the power of Cell clouds. PCs are like an old Ferrari 348, decent for their time but up against stuff like Xbox One X S Plus which is basically like a McLaren P1, PCs can't hope to compete. consoles just need good drivers.

lol

Well... where is that magic console optimization I've heard so much about the last few years? Seems like it all was a scam, turns out console hardware is as fast as you'd expect from PC hardware with roughly the same horse power.

Might be, because Direct X has come a long way since the last two or three versions though, things certainly looked a bit different last generation. -on the other hand, no one cared for framerate back then and some PS360 games ran horribly...

No, they ran cinematically. Remember back during PS360 era, 60fps was too "gamey".

MTC100

Banned
Happy to see my 970 holding up quite well, When I build my PC for the Witcher 3 I was looking at the best value possible and at least roughly twice the power of the PS4, which seems to be still the case even though they added the Pro version that is about twice as fast GPU-wise, my PC still performs better.
-Don't even mention the CPU, my i5 4590 is leaps ahead of the weak Jaguar found in consoles.

Pretty damning that a 970 can do native 4K/30FPS at almost highest settings but Pro does CBR +dynamic resolution at not even highest settings. Yea the 970 is better but not by much.

Well... where is that magic console optimization I've heard so much about the last few years? Seems like it all was a scam, turns out console hardware is as fast as you'd expect from PC hardware with roughly the same horse power.

Might be, because Direct X has come a long way since the last two or three versions though, things certainly looked a bit different last generation. -on the other hand, no one cared for framerate back then and some PS360 games ran horribly...

Well I have a i7 4790k - 16gb ddr3 - gtx 1080 and nothing actually is overclocked.

What do you think ?

Its honestly night and day. Even more so when you take in consideration the particles effects which are considerably bumped on PC

Wow!!!!! I think I'm double dipping, cheers mate.

Tons of games have come out this year that look great and are AAA: Prey, The Surge, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wild Lands, For Honor, etc. They all run really well. You mentioning Nier AUtomata for some reason, a slightly botched port which is generally not known for its technical graphical prowess on any platform, is quite the transparent argument.

Well, I'd like to see comparisons then. Sadly it seems no one is doing them properly, and that means establishing console settings first and then run side by side.

You expected the 970 to be equalised and bested by base PS4, which is absurd, own up to it IMO.

Now you're exaggerating. I've never said the 970 is bested by a PS4, just that on PC it's moving from "max settings", to "average".

It's not like we're prophets looking at the future. I simply noticed that all most modern titles, from The Division onward, ran like crap on a 770. The 770 that at PS4 launch was able to double the framerate at console settings. So, early stages the 770 was 2x a PS4, now a 770 runs worse than a PS4 in many cases.

So I simply deduced the same is going to happen with the 970 too. Things seems to have slowed down because AMD isn't competing, and Nvidia is delaying products. So the progressive loss of optimization is being slowed by the fact that drivers aren't moving on as fast as before.

It happened to CPUs before, now it's happening to GPUs too.

Eh. I think if you take all games in consideration with Pro support he isn't that far off. At best it matches a 970 and at worst it's slightly exceeds a 7850. And there are more shitty-mediocre Pro games than good ones.

Even first party support is fairly shitty atm. I own a Pro and honestly I expect more than just a 1080p to 1440p bump. I guess for certain games bottlenecks just don't lie in pure GPU power. I've even seen die hard Sony fanboys on here say that the Pro support sucks.

pro support does suck, but i thought we were discussing the capability of the gpu. the gpu powering ps4 pro is comfortably more powerful than a 280x

MTC100

Banned
No, they ran cinematically. Remember back during PS360 era, 60fps was too "gamey".

True, yet cinematically was the wrong word for some titles as they often didn't even achieve 24fps regularly...

I am glad that Digital Foundry is checking almost all the popular games, framerate really has become a topic for videogames and I am confident that the PS5 and XboxTWO will get a stronger CPU that enable 60FPS a lot more often, so we will at least be able to chose between 1080p@60 and 4k@30 which is hardly an option atm with consoles...

btw: Can someone with the game and a 970 test if 60FPS at 1440p and high settings is achievable?

Top Bottom