• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megami Tensei series turns 30 years old

koutoru

The game that kicked off the Megami Tensei series Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei turns 30 on September 11. Atlus has already mentioned Shin Megami Tensei's 25th anniversary, which takes place this year as well, but I also feel it's important to acknowledge the games from the original series (which were also the first video games they worked on) that led them to make Shin Megami Tensei in the first place.

Based on the novel series by Aya Nishitani, Megami Tensei introduces many of the series staples like demon recruiting and fusing, ability points, and first person dungeon crawling.

Digital_Devil_Story_Megami_Tensei.png

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei - September - 1987

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei first-person dungeon crawling

The sequel, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II has much of the same gameplay elements as the first but adds an overworld map and a top down view of the protagonist. It also introduces multiple endings that would later also be a staple of the series.

Digital_Devil_Story_Megami_Tensei_II.JPG

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - April 1990

Megami%2BTensei%2B-%2BThe%2BOld%2BTestament091.png

Megami Tensei II ability point system

774767-screen.gif

Megami Tensei II top down viewpoint

After Megami Tensei II, Atlus wanted to tie the brand more closely with their own company instead of Namco. They also wanted to sort of do a remake of the previous games without being tied to the novels, hence Shin Megami Tensei. This might also explain why Atlus is celebrating Shin Megami Tensei's 25th and not Megami Tensei's 30th as well.
Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei - October 1992
S8oZCCD.png

Shin Megami Tensei 25th anniversary logo

There, got that off my chest. Just wanted to bring some recognition to the original series that set SMT in motion since Atlus themselves don't seem to be doing that.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's right behind me, heh.

Happy 30th, SMT. You've got a ton of games I ought to play. Maybe before we both turn 40.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Happy 30th.

I love SMT/Persona series. Press Turn is my all time favourite turn base combat system.

Rymuth

Happy Birthday, Megami Ten. You've been teaching us that Chaos Alignment rules for over 30 years now 😜

True Fire

I think it's amazing how much this series has grown in the past 30 years.

I'd love to see a modern interpretation of an early 90s Megaten game.

Yeah, I think the "adaptation of a novel" part is why Atlus doesnt acknowledge those games. Not that it matters in the end. Its like how Nintendo celebrates Mario's anniversary starting with Super Mario Bros and not Donkey Kong or even Mario Bros.

Opa-Pa

I feel bad that while I've played all of mainline SMT, I have yet to try both Megami Tensei games... Guess I really should give that SFC compilation fan translation a chance sometime. I've heard great stuff about MT2.

Nilua

I feel bad for only having played to completion the Persona Games. MegaTen is a fascinating franchise, and I hope to one day finish more of the games. (I have like 20 hours in Nocturne and 3 in DDS1 and i really enjoyed them)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel bad for only having played to completion the Persona Games. MegaTen is a fascinating franchise, and I hope to one day finish more of the games. (I have like 20 hours in Nocturne and 3 in DDS1 and i really enjoyed them)
I really like Persona series both old and modern but SMTIII Nocturne is something else. Please what ever it takes finish the game.

koutoru

Yeah, I think the "adaptation of a novel" part is why Atlus doesnt acknowledge those games. Not that it matters in the end. Its like how Nintendo celebrates Mario's anniversary starting with Super Mario Bros and not Donkey Kong or even Mario Bros.
It's understandable why they would want to celebrate SMT's anniversary. Kyūyaku Megami Tensei (a Super Famicom port of Megami Tensei I and II) was released on the wii's virtual shop in 2012, but besides that they haven't talked much about the original series at all.
Again, it's understandable, I just thought it was important to note since Atlus literally got their start in the video game industry by developing the original Megami Tensei games.

Always wondered why the Shin name in SMT. Thanks for the info OP!
Glad to help.

sasliquid

I like Persona

And Nocture is great, SMT4 has been in my backlog for too long but I doubt it will be as special as playing Nocturne the first time

Happy anniversary. I've never played the originals, but I hope to get around to that one day. (Well, probably the SFC port, since it seems like that's the best version)

Aeana

Happy anniversary. I've never played the originals, but I hope to get around to that one day. (Well, probably the SFC port, since it seems like that's the best version)

Yes. And for anyone who is interested in that, a fan translation was recently released.

MT2 was my gateway to the series and it hooked me from the start. It's still one of my favorite games.

Verelios

Happy birthday Megaten. I've played almost every entry except the original and loved them all. Here's to a beautiful 30 years o/

Nairume

Banned
Yes. And for anyone who is interested in that, a fan translation was recently released.

MT2 was my gateway to the series and it hooked me from the start. It's still one of my favorite games.
I was honestly amazed at how well MT2 holds up when I replayed it a few years ago. It easily rocketed up my list of favorite MegaTens.

randomkid

Megami Tensei 2 is low key one of the best games in the franchise. Extremely impressive. Still wanna try out the weirdly colored Famicom version too with the unreal special chip soundtrack.

Top Bottom