• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depressed Developer leaves hidden message in Dino Crisis 1 demo files

Jawmuncher

So this was brought to my attention recently by @OneSanitarium. In the Dino Crisis demo on PS1 (The one that came with RE3 or other such demo discs). When you complete one of the area's in the demo you receive this screen.
DK-_zVsWsAEhmvk.jpg
Nothing much to it. Just a typical tease screen to entice you to buy the game. However where things get rather dark is the text in the background of the screen. Most aren't going to pay attention to it and if they do it's hard to make out. However it is possible to extract or enhance the image. Which leaves you with this.
DK_GKkrXUAEZLSF.jpg

A rather dark message that doesn't even fit with the game itself. To me it comes across as someone with depression who was working on the game. Surprisngly enough this was actually found as far back as 2013 by the user DarknessBunny. Who is a prominent figure in the small but active Dino Crisis researching community. Back then that group deduced the message was along the lines of this
"I don't know why I'm writing this"
"I'm just doing it for fun,"
"but.........?"
"my.........?"
"I............. about it !!"
"Long.... I'm happy that OK."
"LOCATION: IBIS ISLAND"
"TARGET: DETAILS OF ENEMY"
"I don't know why I'm writing this.
I'm just doing it for fun,
But how many people will understand (my writing?)
Well I'll tell you (something? a truce? a truth?)
I really don't give a damn about it!!
Long as I'm happy that OK.
1. ??????????
2. Kill your self
But I don't want to try or kill my self!
So? What should I do?
What should I.....

TARGET: DETAILS OF ENEMY"

Between the new analysis by OneSanitarium and comparing it to the older one's by DarknessBunny and others way back when. I think it's safe to say that whoever was writing this was in a dark place while developing the game. I'm unsure if it was a Capcom USA or Capcom JP employee. Part of me thinks it was a Capcom JP employee, since that way they'd be able to sneak it past a lot of the development team who at the time probably weren't that big on English to the extent of looking in the background. Thus when the game came to the US for localization. That team would've just glanced over it since it's not something they'd have to fix. Also fits with the English not being entirely correct. Though that doesn't entirely write off it being a Capcom USA employee either. Since this would be a easy thing to slip past many people as well during the localization.

Regardless it seems this was not a commonly known hidden message compared to others which can be found here. I hope whoever wrote this got the help they need. I'll be digging through the Dino Crisis PSX demo soon to try and see if there's any other unknown tidbits hiding within. It never crossed my mind to check through that despite going through the PC demo.

Jackpot

Banned
Maybe, on the other hand a similar image used in Resident Evil Outbreak turned out to be extracts from a case report on rabies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

vocab

I would be depressed as well working on a bad re clone. The fact that you are on the b team because the higher ups want to see if dinosaurs are cool again. Great job, capcom.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Jackpot

Banned
I would be depressed as well working on a bad re clone. The fact that you are on the b team because the higher ups want to see if dinosaurs are cool again. Great job, capcom.

"A team" wasn't exactly a cakewalk. I remember one of the RE1.5 leads being spotted vomiting blood in a restaurant.

Rellik

Jawmuncher is currently tracking you down so he can slap you.

Hopefully it's just some kind of character exposition that didn't really make it to the main game...otherwise yeah that's kind of unsettling.

You don't strike me as a good person

Please be a better person

What does it take to change the essence of a man?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Implying that there has ever been a time when dinosaurs weren't cool.

GrayFoxPL

You are a bad re clone. It was as good as original re trilogy.

Get ready for the Jawmuncher reply.

Also, Dino Crisis is great.

Anybody know who could have possibly written this and where they are now? This is really freaky.

This is some Silent Hill shit lol.

Was there ever a japanese version of the demo? If you can fins the same ending screen im betting it was one of thr japanese team who worked on the game.

Possibly one of the artists. If we can a staff roll for the game we can maybe whittle it down to certain members of the team.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope he or she got the help needed. It's quite a sad message.

pswii60

Yeah that's will known as a typical cause of depression.

JayEH

What the fuck is this? Wrong on many levels.

There is a possibility that the developer just grabbed a block of English text as decorative filler. It happens from time-to-time with Japanese games. Sega's Let's Tap contains a slightly edited version of the Team Fortress Wikipedia page, but it's difficult to read unless you're on an emulator.

Hardly "B Team" when it had the likes of Shinji Mikami and Shu Takumi (yes, the Ace Attorney & Ghost Trick creator) leading the project.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
damn that's horrible, if wonder if there's a way to contact the team to check on that person, to see if he/she is allright.

There is a possibility that the developer just grabbed a block of English text as decorative filler. It happens from time-to-time with Japanese games. Sega's Let's Tap contains a slightly edited version of the Team Fortress Wikipedia page, but it's difficult to read unless you're on an emulator.

The more I think about it the more this seems to be the case. The wording can relate to any character in the game, given the situation they're in. Hmm...

Jawmuncher

It’s a possibility. Though I can’t find any text close to this through google. I’ll keep checking to see if anything comes up.

Top Bottom