• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro gets minor hardware upgrade, goes from CUH-7000 to CUH-7100

Laplasakos

Seems like Sony is updating the PS4 Pro to a new model with a new model number CUH-7100. 4Gamer made the discovery and Dualshockers translated the article.

Yesterday, Sony Interactive Entertainment has changed the model number of the Jet Black PS4 Pro in Japan from CUH-7000 to CUH-7100 as discovered by the Japanese website 4Gamer.

The upcoming PS4 Pro “Rathalos Edition” coming with Monster Hunter World also features the new model number.

4Gamer inquired with Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan and Asia on the reason behind the change, and the house of PlayStation clarified that the new model number was required due to an update in the internal components of the console.

That being said, they also made sure to specify that there will no change in actual features or specs for the PS4 Pro.

This change is in line with Sony’s model numbering standards, with incremental alterations in the second digit of the number indicating minor hardware updates that have no influence on the console’s performance and looks.

If you bought a CUH-7000 PS4 Pro, you don’t need to worry, as your console is not becoming obsolete.

Normally this kind of change is made during the process of reducing the production costs of a console, with new parts that are cheaper to manufacture being swapped in to improve the margin per unit sale. It’s an entirely expected procedure that is often done several times during the life cycle of a game machine.

https://www.dualshockers.com/playstation-pro-hardware-update/

Downgrade me to an older model if old.

I am not a fool to believe "no changes" at all even in the looks. Both the DS4 and and PS VR got newer versions and both had chnages in the looks and features. Not to mention even the first PS4 had some changes between models, the first model had thermic buttons and longer light while the newer one ahd mechanical buttons and shorter light "that are cheaper to manufacture being swapped in".

Changes could be for the best or the worst.

I expect something similar to be done for the newer PS4 Pro.

Don't worry. Your current PS4 would be still the best one. The upcoming one will have components "that are cheaper to manufacture being swapped in".
As if the Pro isn't enough of a cheap-feeling device already...

Probably the worst, least premium product PlayStation has put out in years

They could still remove the optical output port from it like they did for the PS4 Slim., remove the rear USB 3.1 slot, or make the buttons even worse than the mechanical ones. Who knows what they will do. So consider yourself lucky to have gotten the best PS4 Pro model before it gets extinct. And it is the not the fancy look of the Monster Hunter Edition that will appeal me to get the newer model if they worsen or omit some parts.

big_z

Hopefully someone opens one of these so we can see what the differences are. The first update for the OG ps4(all matte version) made a huge difference with the noise issues the launch units had. fingers crossed for the same results here.

dracula_x

The xbox one s, original ps4 and original xbox one did a pretty good job of it. As did the vita, the psp, etc etc etc

So you mean "feels like a premium", because in reality ^ they all are plastic cheap devices. Video game console can't be premium - it's oxymoron otherwise.

Looks like a lot of changes have been coming just in time for the first holiday against the Nintendo Switch (and to a lesser extent, the XB1/X) so they are making headway to be able to reduce pricing hen necessary.

Your opinion of this matter if both flawed and terrible. There are plenty of things in the last few years that fall below the Pro.

It's not the most sleek design, but it doesn't look/feel cheap at all to me. The glossy HDD cover on OG PS4 did, though.

landscape-1478513816-ps4-pro-1.jpg

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
PLASTICA-MAN said:
I can't understand why Sony is doing such sudden global changes.
PS2 had over a dozen revisions during its 10 year lifetime, with far more drastic feature changes in its first 8-months on the market than PS4->PS4Slim.
PS3 had 3-4 revisions in its first 12 months on the market.

Let's not fake concern over this being a new or 'unusual' thing for Sony consoles.

dealer-

Looks like a lot of changes have been coming just in time for the first holiday against the Nintendo Switch (and to a lesser extent, the XB1/X) so they are making headway to be able to reduce pricing hen necessary.

Your opinion of this matter if both flawed and terrible. There are plenty of things in the last few years that fall below the Pro.

It's not the most sleek design, but it doesn't look/feel cheap at all to me. The glossy HDD cover on OG PS4 did, though.

lol Gino, your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Struggling to see how this is an upgrade. Cheaper parts. The disc drive is already a shitshow.

PS2 had over a dozen revisions during its 10 year lifetime, with far more drastic feature changes in its first 8-months on the market than PS4->PS4Slim.
PS3 had 3-4 revisions in its first 12 months on the market.

Let's not fake concern over this being a new or 'unusual' thing for Sony consoles.

I purchased a slim PS2 about six years ago. I went down a rabbit hole figuring out all the different versions for the EU/UK alone. Though to be fair, those revisions were probably less documented online at the time too.

leng jai

The xbox one s, original ps4 and original xbox one did a pretty good job of it. As did the vita, the psp, etc etc etc

The original PS4 was premium either. The launch controllers were rubbish and they used the same terrible plastic for it that they use for the Pro.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Little Old Man said:
Though to be fair, those revisions were probably less documented online at the time too.
FCC fillings (which seem to be the main source of this info) were always around IIRC - internet(and press for that matter) was just less obsessive compulsive about model number changes back in the day, especially the single-digit ones.

I guess it speaks volumes for the kind of thing that constitutes "news" nowadays.

g11

My Pro doesn't make a sound at any game.

I've only noticed the fan when going to the blacksmith in Nioh, but I think that was a well known issue with the game on all versions of PS4 because the frame rate is uncapped in the menus or something. Mine is whisper quiet 99.99% of the time.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
hopefully they get around to a PS4 Pro Slim soon. I just can't get used to how ugly the thing is. It needs slimmed down badly. Easily the worst looking Playstation console ever.

hopefully they get around to a PS4 Pro Slim soon. I just can't get used to how ugly the thing is. It needs slimmed down badly. Easily the worst looking Playstation console ever.

I would take the current size of the console if Sony could deliver a silent system.

It's one of the few things I appriciate when it comes to the design of the original Xbox One, that thing is so silent due to the sizeable cooling it has.

ironmang

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/45/980x490/landscape-1478513816-ps4-pro-1.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

strong list. will use for future reference.

-hadouken

I would take the current size of the console if Sony could deliver a silent system.

It's one of the few things I appriciate when it comes to the design of the original Xbox One, that thing is so silent due to the sizeable cooling it has.

Totally agree. Here in Australia (where it gets hot) I greatly appreciated how cool and quiet the original X1 was. My Pro gets tiresome with certain games. Loud, hot, annoying.

Neith

Banned

The OG PS4 is easily the most cheap looking product they have had in a long time lol. The shiny plastic is terrible. Was a huge step down from the shiny OG PS3, which was premium.

The Pro feels and looks much better than the OG PS4.

leng jai

The OG PS4 is easily the most cheap looking product they have had in a long time lol. The shiny plastic is terrible. Was a huge step down from the shiny OG PS3, which was premium.

The Pro feels and looks much better than the OG PS4.

The Pro uses the same cheap plastic as the OG PS4, doesn't feel any better.

Top Bottom