• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PS4 patch 1.50 adds Pro support out now

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not locked...

Looking at the video, if it's not locked, it's about as close as can get I guess. The graph doesn't go below 29.7~8. I imagine stress situations might be a bit different but what we'v seen so far is really good.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just tried the patch on my 1080p Pro.

My system fans now run very loud (only other game that makes the system this loud is Mafia 3, and I've played more than 20 Pro enhanced games on this system), and now there are frame drops everywhere.

WTF. Give me back my non-patched version that ran at a rock solid 30fps under boost mode with zero fan noise.
No fan noise here, did a few missions too and it silent as it is on the PS4 UI.

The NXGamer video is pretty much what I said, a couple of frame drops here and there. To me its still quite often. Yes, its on a par performance wise to a base PS4, its just a shame its taken a slight dive from Boost mode, which was an absolute lock.

The NXGamer video is pretty much what I said, a couple of frame drops here and there. To me its still quite often. Yes, its on a par performance wise to a base PS4, its just a shame its taken a slight dive from Boost mode, which was an absolute lock.

But Boost Mode is 1080p with base settings and this patch is 4K with improved settings!

And we are talking about dropping a quarter frame.

Learn to see the good in life man. Gratitude goes a long way towards happiness. And if you guys don't stop bitching we may not get any more great Pro patches like this one. Honestly fuck Boost Mode. Give me UHD or give me death.

Holy crap, they got this running at full 4k on the Pro? And it includes supersampling?

Goddamn props to CDPR. I was really expecting 1440p or maybe 1800p at best.

Kyoufu

My PS4 Pro's fans don't even make a noise when playing this with the Pro patch.

I'm running around in Novigrad and I can say three things:

1 - this game is clean as fuck with the Pro update

2 - no fan noise at all, which is surprising because usually on updates games taking advantage of Pro's extra juice you can hear SOME fan noise, but this? Nothing at all.

3 - no HDR is disappointing

edit: running around more in Novigrad and the fans finally started making some noise, but it's so faint. What is this sorcery?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The worst/best part is that this is coming from a company which said they wouldn't bother doing a Pro patch. Yet they've ended up giving us arguably one of the best Pro patches for a game released before the Pro came out (and many since it came out). CDPR deserves major kudos if this is their 'half ass' attempt at a Pro patch :p

belvedere

Junior Butler
The worst/best part is that this is coming from a company which said they wouldn't bother doing a Pro patch. Yet they've ended up giving us arguably one of the best Pro patches for a game released before the Pro came out (and many since it came out). CDPR deserves major kudos if this is their 'half ass' attempt at a Pro patch :p

I guess this is a testament to just how damn CPU bound this game is on consoles.

Bravo CDPR, bravo.

Tyaren

We have to thank Microsoft and their Xbox One X for this imo. ;)

cakely

But Boost Mode is 1080p with base settings and this patch is 4K with improved settings!

And we are talking about dropping a quarter frame.

Learn to see the good in life man. Gratitude goes a long way towards happiness. And if you guys don't stop bitching we may not get any more great Pro patches like this one. Honestly fuck Boost Mode. Give me UHD or give me death.

I recall Witcher 3 was 900p/30 even in boost mode.

I'm not crazy, am I?

onQ123

I thought the same thing... but in a way, they are correct. What happens when the GPU is maxxed out and the game wants more GPU than what is available (it wants more than 100%)... you get frame drops.

I thought he was saying that the game was pushing the PS4 Pro beyond 4.2TF fp32 /8.4TF fp16.

Lady Gaia

I’m overjoyed that CDPR followed through here even when they had previously announced they were done. Kudos, and thank you for breathing more life into a game I’ve already paid for.

I look forward to seeing what happens with a game built with HDR in mind. Those who expected it to be added as an afterthought were doing so with little or no understanding of how much work it would entail. A resolution bump can be done by engineering with basic QA support. Changes in lighting would require artistic input and validation across a wide range of displays to ensure playability, not to mention a host of questions about how to treat assets that aren’t conventionally lit (HUD elements, effects, pre-rendered content, skyboxes, etc.j

Carn82

Looks great.

I ended up LTTP with Witcher 3 but had the benefit of multiple patches and UI changes by then, and had zero performance issues throughout.

Was holding back on playing through all the DLC until this hit, so looks like that world is going to suck me back in for a while again. Great stuff and kudos to NXGamer for getting a video up so quickly.

Toussaint looks even better than the rest of the game since that runs on an improved engine. Enjoy :)

Md Ray

Hmm, that was quick by NXG... Should've tested frame-rate in Crookback bog as it's a very GPU-heavy section. Novigrad is more CPU-heavy than GPU. Still an awesome and useful vid, nonetheless. Thanks.

If anyone's curious about the frame-rate and wanna do a sort of "stress test", then go to Crookback bog and see if you notice any drops (as well as increase in fan noise).

Tyaren

No we don’t 😂

CDPR is the only one we should thank for this patch.

CDPR need to sell their next game on ps4, giving the smaller install base of the Xbox one X a patch and not the PS4 pro would be financially mind boggling.

Yet they had no plans for a PS4 Pro patch, which they stressed multiple times, and only after a patch for the One X was announced, they acknowledged one was in the works for PS4 Pro too.
I agree, they simply had to give the PS4 Pro one too...even if they were probably approached only by Microsoft to do one for their new system.

Toussaint looks even better than the rest of the game since that runs on an improved engine. Enjoy :)
So good. Looking forward to it. Absolutely adore the game, and waiting for this patch was just really about giving myself an arbitrary break, not because I had any issues.

b0uncyfr0

If the Pro can do CB 4k - then the X1 surely has more juice for extra stuff. I don't see them going over 4K res tho- so maybe improved lod - AA -something?. It'd be a shame to waste unused horsepower.

BigEmil

I noticed in Toussaint in Blood and Wine the foliage you step on interacts with the character was that in the original game as well can't remember

So you would have to take two subsequent frames and see if exactly half the pixels stay the same to actually tell if its native 4k or CB.
No, you can tell from a single frame by just looking at any object in motion. CBR causes artifacts, which are rare in some games but do crop up eventually if you check carefully enough.

so is it native 4K or "dynamic resolution checkerboard 4K"? I would assume you could tell the difference
It's native 4K*. Though foliage sprites seem to sometimes be using a lower resolution, and the textures aren't bumped up from the standard version to take much advantage of the higher resolution.

*Maybe not, we seem to have artifacts in the NXGamer shots. No indication of dynamic resolution, however.

My PS4 Pro's fans don't even make a noise when playing this with the Pro patch.

I'm running around in Novigrad and I can say three things:

1 - this game is clean as fuck with the Pro update

2 - no fan noise at all, which is surprising because usually on updates games taking advantage of Pro's extra juice you can hear SOME fan noise, but this? Nothing at all.

3 - no HDR is disappointing

edit: running around more in Novigrad and the fans finally started making some noise, but it's so faint. What is this sorcery?

How good does Novigrad looks? Never made it that fast (yet!)

That works because I only mean it in the context of the GIF.

Oh, my bad. lol

Yet they had no plans for a PS4 Pro patch, which they stressed multiple times, and only after a patch for the One X was announced, they acknowledged one was in the works for PS4 Pro too.
I agree, they simply had to give the PS4 Pro one too...even if they were probably approached only by Microsoft to do one for their new system.

I get where you're coming from.

leng jai

If it's confirmed the native 4k patch introduces frame drops, then the discussion turns to whether they should have opted for a checkeboard solution.

Which of course would lead to people bitching that it should have been native 4k and CDPR is incompetent/lazy/MS conspiracy plot.

Who are these phantom posters who expected the game to be native 4K after the Pro patch?

That said, I somehow doubt the base PS4 was locked 30fps in the first place even after the patches.

cheezcake

No, you can tell from a single frame by just looking at any object in motion. CBR causes artifacts, which are rare in some games but do crop up eventually if you check carefully enough.

That doesn't seem like a very robust method when you factor in the whole array of post processing which also creates artefacts, differ per game, and that there's no solid definition for the type of artefacting you're looking for. Whereas it would be relatively simple to write a program to check how many pixels change per frame.

Amazing patch, far better than expected. CDPR are awesome though and really care about their IP, so should have known they would put in some effort and deliver the goods.

Who are these phantom posters who expected the game to be native 4K after the Pro patch?

That said, I somehow doubt the base PS4 was locked 30fps in the first place even after the patches.

The same posters that are disappointed its not 1080/60. You know the ones. They crop up in every Pro patch thread. There's a couple on the earlier pages of this thread.

Only 113 MB and they could do this magical Native 4K wizardry. This must be Heliotrop spell.
I am expecting (more than just hoping) heavier patches to add more features like I mentioned before. I have faith in CDPRojekt.

Tyaren

Some quick captures of The Witcher 3 in 4k downsampled:

37469842352_5c1d3a6af5_o.png

37453090856_9edd204fb8_o.png

37242813200_afacea701a_o.png

Don't expect a huge boost, it's just a cleaner IQ and the texture filtering has improved too.

NX Gamer video up analyzing patch 1.50 (not 1.51)

Looks like mostly 30fps, but definitely hits 28/29 fps in Novigrad.

Believes it to be CB rendering though based on some artifacting.

Pennywise

Or maybe they didn't want to bother spending the manpower for each system during different times.
Now they were able to work on both of them.

That doesn't seem like a very robust method when you factor in the whole array of post processing which also creates artefacts, differ per game, and that there's no solid definition for the type of artefacting you're looking for. Whereas it would be relatively simple to write a program to check how many pixels change per frame.

Hmm.

All the pixels change in CB rendering. It's how some of those pixels are constructed that's different.

aett

The timing on this patch is so weird. Just yesterday I found myself suddenly wanting to play the game again. It's only been about a year since I finished it plus the expansions, so it's probably too soon, but still...

Sigh. Should I start a new file or New Game Plus?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I have been putting off finishing Witcher 3 until they put out the Pro patch, and they just had to do it right when there are a million games about to come out.

Thanks CDPR lol

Top Bottom