• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ark Devs detail their Xbox One X Update

Gowans

With the upcoming Xbox patch on October 25th we're excited to finally talk about the enhancements coming to the Xbox One X version of ARK: Survival Evolved.

ARK on the Xbox One X will feature HDR and two graphics modes. The first is a Detailed Graphics version with 1440p resolution and Truesky (which is the equivalent to High quality on the PC) at 30fps. The second is a 1080p mode which equates to the current Xbox One graphics, with improved 60fps. The Xbox One X has increased RAM, 60-70% more RAM compared to the Xbox One, which will help to eliminate out of memory issues. It also means faster loading times and better streaming due to a faster hard-drive and the ability to cache data into RAM (coming November 7th) that will allow faster and better access to repeat files. The Xbox One X will eliminate the host tether in local splitscreen mode and will increase the tether range in non-dedicated mode. Unfortunately we were unable to remove the tether completely due to CPU limitations, but we hope that players will benefit from the increased range.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php...cing-ark-digest-51-community-crunch-107-r581/

Don’t get your hopes up for much. The developers have a well documented issue with getting acceptable performance out of even the strongest machines. Until we get a proper analysis, I wouldn’t rush out to grab a copy in hopes that you’ll have a good game for the X launch.

That's quite a bit less than what they touted in June isn't it?

"It's amazing. It's basically like Epic settings on PC, we're targeting 60FPS. We recently introduced variable frame rate, but on Xbox One X with the extra horsepower, you'll notice less variation in your frame rate even in busy situations"

Gowans

Don’t get your hopes up for much. The developers have a well documented issue with getting acceptable performance out of even the strongest machines. Until we get a proper analysis, I wouldn’t rush out to grab a copy in hopes that you’ll have a good game for the X launch.

Yeah I've been playing with some mates again recently on Xbox One and it can still get so messy and teary.

DF have covered it well as well as the PC, PS4 & Pro versions, look forward to their analysis.

That sounds... Worse than they initially promised?

Edit: Oh, it's going to be play anywhere? Nice!

Great to know a game can be xpa after launch as well.

Akronis

"It's amazing. It's basically like Epic settings on PC, we're targeting 60FPS. We recently introduced variable frame rate, but on Xbox One X with the extra horsepower, you'll notice less variation in your frame rate even in busy situations"

It's Wildcard, what do you expect lol

Gowans

I think it’s just 720p 30>60 with Tearing on Xbox one and PS4 and 1080/30 and 720 60 on PS4 pro?

It was sub 720 for a LONG time in game preview

Hylian7

This. I love the game but performance is it's biggest issue. I play on PC and turn my settings down to run at 1080p and a good framerate.

Akronis

Is this game fun? Looks interesting and now it seems to be hitting a respectable base for performance I might check it out.

Incredibly grindy and the PVP can ruin hours worth of work in a matter of minutes, but it's probably one of the better survival games out there now. Lot of content.

Hylian7

Is this game fun? Looks interesting and now it seems to be hitting a respectable base for performance I might check it out.
Yes, however it can have a bit of a learning curve, at least to do things efficiently.

I recommend PvP on unofficial servers, as officials have painfully low rates (harvest, tame, etc). Plus I have found a lot less alpha tribes on unofficials that are totally dicks and just destroy you little thatch shack because you exist. Officials are plagued with those, made worse because you can transfer dinos, items, and characters between servers.

However it's a great experience when you get into it. I love the political negotiations that take place in PvP, and you can tell when tensions rise and a war is afoot. There are three official maps in the base game, and one of them has all the Scorched Earth dinos and items accessible to anyone. The maps (especially the Center and Ragnarok) are really well designed and have tons of content to explore. There are lots of caves to explore.

#1 advice I can give though: tame dinos for utility, they absolutely are not a waste of time. Ankylos gather metal really fast, having a good early game mount like a Direwolf does wonders. Getting a Pteranodon as soon as you get the level (or blueprint) to make the saddle is essential.

It will run like shit. Simple. They're terrible at their job.

That's quite the fucking statement. What even qualifies you to say that? Them having a particular area or two they need to improve in does not somehow, bizarrely, equate to them being terrible at their job. And I say this as someone who has zero intention of even purchasing this game. My only interest here is more Xbox One X game specific info.

ethomaz

Banned
That's quite the fucking statement. What even qualifies you to say that? Them having a particular area or two they need to improve in does not somehow, bizarrely, equate to them being terrible at their job. And I say this as someone who has zero intention of even purchasing this game. My only interest here is more Xbox One X game specific info.
I guess you never played any version of this game.

It is a mess even on 1080ti with Core i7.

Durante

Well, this version sounds a lot more realistic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

KageMaru

I've already invested too much into the PS4 version to jump back into the Xbox version but I will be interested to see how it looks and runs.

Incredibly grindy and the PVP can ruin hours worth of work in a matter of minutes, but it's probably one of the better survival games out there now. Lot of content.

It's not all that grindy anymore. My brother just started and he got up to level 73 within a few days. The last 30 levels do seem to require time but that should be expected.

After how horrible the game runs on powerful PC's and PS4 Pro, I wouldn't hold my breath.

It doesn't really run all that bad on the Pro, at least on the new servers. The biggest thing they need to do is lock it to 30fps when enabling v-sync.

I really think some are underestimating how difficult a game like this is to optimize for. In one scene you could have a simple thatch hut but run into a huge fortress with dozens of animals a second later.

Severianb

A choice between 30fps and 60fps is pretty sweet.

So much for the "CPU isn't good enough" crowd. Looks like that X1X DirectX12+Enhanced Jaguar Secrect Sauce is going to pay MASSIVE dividends.

#SpencerBless

KageMaru

So much for the "CPU isn't good enough" crowd. Looks like that X1X DirectX12+Enhanced Jaguar Secrect Sauce is going to pay MASSIVE dividends.

#SpencerBless

It's doubtful that this will run anywhere close to a locked 60fps.

Hylian7

It's not all that grindy anymore. My brother just started and he got up to level 73 within a few days. The last 30 levels do seem to require time but that should be expected.
Yeah if you know what you are doing you can level pretty fast. Thing is lots of people new to a game don't know what they are doing.

I've said this before, but Ark isn't a survival game, it's an RTS with persistence. It's about gathering resources, the arms race with other tribes, controlling your dino army (you can even set control groups for them).

Akronis

I've already invested too much into the PS4 version to jump back into the Xbox version but I will be interested to see how it looks and runs.

It doesn't really run all that bad on the Pro, at least on the new servers. The biggest thing they need to do is lock it to 30fps when enabling v-sync.

I really think some are underestimating how difficult a game like this is to optimize for. In one scene you could have a simple thatch hut but run into a huge fortress with dozens of animals a second later.

Uhhh the taming on official servers can still take upwards of 3 hours on certain tames. It's ridiculous. Grinding to get the correct kind of kibble in addition to leveing.

Almost every mechanic in the game has some form of ridiculous time sink and it's why I stopped playing. Even after adjusting the rates on my own server to more tolerable levels.

Hylian7

Uhhh the taming on official servers can still take upwards of 3 hours on certain tames. It's ridiculous. Grinding to get the correct kind of kibble in addition to leveing.
Yeah, I agree some of those tame times are ridiculous, which is a reason I don't play on officials.

This happens on unofficials too, but it also annoys me when people litter the map with their shitty temporary taming structures. Build something around the unconscious Quetz you are taming, but clean it up after it's done! You just block spawns on the map that way.

Wolfenstein The New Colossus is going to be my X launch game. Maybe I’ll try Ark sometime down the road.

Not even a 1080ti with a Core i7 can run this game at high framerates lol. They should clarify the game runs at an unlocked framerate and sometimes, maaaaybe it reaches something close to 60 fps. This game is a god damn mess everywhere. They used the exact same wording with the Pro version and it doesn't come close to their promise.

Head.spawn

Is performance impacted things like "out of memory issues" really something that should ever be occurring at all in a console game? The bandwidth and available memory are known quantities, I would've assumed they'd account for all of that and have some leeway.

RedAssedApe

Banned

#SpencerBless

Probably should wait until ppl get their hands on the game. They don’t have a great track record.

KageMaru

Almost every mechanic in the game has some form of ridiculous time sink and it's why I stopped playing. Even after adjusting the rates on my own server to more tolerable levels.

Oh yeah in that respect it can still be a grind. Sorry, I thought you meant leveling up for some reason.

Guys keep in mind even an overocked titan xp has to run a mix of medium and high(mostly medium) settings to hit a locked 60fps at 1080p. This dev is among the worst

What is it about this game that makes it so taxing? I haven't seen much of it but it doesn't strike me as particularly impressive in the graphics department.

Bad developer

What is it about this game that makes it so taxing? I haven't seen much of it but it doesn't strike me as particularly impressive in the graphics department.

thelastword

Banned
XBOX one graphics, which is around low-medium with "improved 60fps"...That sounds great right there ;)

Also where is the 4k this dev spoke about around E3?

It will be interesting to see the comparisons when they come, I think the jaguar CPU's are not going to do this game any favors, if it still struggles on i7+1080ti's.... What a game, what a dev....

Top Bottom