• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the point of Nintendo DS day on G4TechTV?

Hournda

I was watching a bit of the Nintendo DS day on G4TechTV and I don't get the point of having a big picture of a DS with 2 different screens on it. Is this supposed to satirize the DS for having its pointless 2 screens? I mean on the G4 channel 2 entirely unrelated things are being shown on the two different screens which makes the channel basically unwatchable. Not to mention the fact that 70% of the TV screen is just filled up with a useless and ugly Nintendo DS skin.

Or is it just supposed to be blatant marketing by Nintendo or a lame attempt by G4TechTV to try and advertise the DS for Nintendo? Either way, whatever they're doing is really just stupid and shows what a horrible, amateurish and juvenile channel that G4TechTV is.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont think they want to be bombarded with emails from angry N-Fans, especially after they had "GTA Day" and "Halo 2 day"

Hournda

Actually, if the point of having the DS day is to satirize the console then it shows that G4TechTV is actually brilliant and subversive (at least on this one day). If it's blatant advertising, then it's just stupid.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Total marketing stunt I imagine. Haven't actually watched it myself, but I caught some of the 'Halo 2' day as well as the 'MGS3' day. It's pretty shameless stuff.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hournda said:
Actually, if the point of having the DS day is to satirize the console then it shows that G4TechTV is actually brilliant and subversive (at least on this one day). If it's blatant advertising, then it's just stupid.

GTA Day, Halo 2 Day, DS Day.

I don't think it's satire, I think it just shows how willing G4 is to accept any check that's made out to them.

Vlad

The funny thing is, on the GTA and Halo days, they at least filled their schedule with shows that were related to the games in question. X-Play had a whole show dedicated to GTA, and another with a review of Halo2, G4TV.com had shows dedicated to talking about the two games, etc.

I've only flipped through the channel a few times today, but it looks like they're just showing their usual crap, but on a tiny little fraction of the TV, with random, soundless, DS-based footage on the bottom "screen".

Chi-Town

They're currently showing CinemaTech which is devoted entirely to DS games and their dual-screen schtick is working great with it. You get to see what the games will actually look like, top screen and bottom.

Vlad

Senretsu said:
someone post a screencap of this, i don't get g4.

Well, imagine what a DS looks like unfolded, then imagine that filling up your entire TV, with the programming coming in on the two screens of the unfolded DS.

Vibri

Banned
Brandon F said:
Total marketing stunt I imagine. Haven't actually watched it myself, but I caught some of the 'Halo 2' day as well as the 'MGS3' day. It's pretty shameless stuff.

That's hardly fair - every major game web site did almost blanket coverage of those games on the day they were released do I would expect a TV network about games to do the same.

WOW, first time in my TV watching lifetime, I actually prefered when the commercials were on. What evil marketing genius came up with this nugget?

ManaByte

Shogmaster said:
WOW, first time in my TV watching lifetime, I actually prefered when the commercials were on. What evil marketing genius came up with this nugget?

the-nintendo-reggie-lution-20040513010853492.jpg

Vibri

Banned
I enjoyed the Halo 2 day - they broadcast live at 12am talking to people queueing up to buy the game and had timely reviews and coverage, new Red VS Blue promos and shit all day. Credit where it's due.

This DS day (just turned it on) is absolutely suckage though. I does the DS no favors at all, and it obviously a pretty cynical marketing deal.

I'd like to see more event-driven programming on their network like Halo 2 day, and hope they stay away from the obvious money deals. Right now it looks like the whole broadcast is a 24 hour DS commercial.

Top Bottom