• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 DNS Error - What's Causing This?

Jaroof

For the past month or so, every now and then when I turn on my PS3 and try to log onto the PSN, I get this DNS Error. The weirdest part is it just seems to happen at random. Sometimes I can log in, sometimes I can't.
I've tried unplugging my router for a few seconds, which would usually solve any connection problems, but even that doesn't work.
I've talked to some friends about it, and some say they don't get the error at all, but some say they get it too.
Yesterday, I was talking to one of my friends on the phone and he was getting the error at the exact same time I was, and when I was finally able to get on, so was he.
Why are we getting this error?! :(

I get this now right after I upgraded to the latest firmware. Cannot connect to wireless at all. Everything else in my house is fine. DS/PSP/360/Macintosh/iPod Touch... but PS3 I get this DNS error.

Oddly, hardwired works perfect fine. But because I have my router sitting next to my game machines it's not an issue but I'm getting the same problem.

amodf

I've had this problem also, since the 2.76 update. Sometimes I can log in to a Japanese account, but not a US account; sometimes Europe account but not Japan account, it seems totally random.

It's annoying.

h3ro

I've gotten them a few times after 2.76 went up, guessing there is some connection issue with it. Pretty annoying when you just want to jump on to check the store or messages. Usually fixes itself after a few "Sign In" attempts.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Same situation here, although it's pretty infrequent. None of the usual stuff fixes the problem, it just goes away eventually.

I started getting them a few months ago. Eventually I just had to assign my PS3 a static IP address and set up a Demilitarized Zone on my router for that IP. Haven't had any problems since.

robertj15

sprocket said:
old routers are getting shafted. I have an old linksys wireless and i get that 9 out 10 times now.

Not true. I have an Airport Extreme which I purchased a little over a year ago and it happened to me. Wouldn't even let me log on until I did the fix (posted above).

Hazmat

Ah, good, I'm glad it's not just me. Also, an update that fucks with your ability to get future updates that fix what they fucked up is especially helpful.

I have Time Warner, btw.

tass0

Banned
I get the same problem. Can't connect to SF4 online, get randomly disconnected from PSN in UFC 09, sometimes can't even log in to PSN. Wtf is this

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
robertj15 said:
I did this and it worked for me. I read in another forum that it was related specifically to Road Runner (Time Warner) users. Any truth to this?
Yes. There apparently was an outage with Time Warner back a few days ago and since then there had seemed to be some problem with TW's servers connecting with the PSN.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
robertj15 said:
I did this and it worked for me. I read in another forum that it was related specifically to Road Runner (Time Warner) users. Any truth to this?

i have RR

LM4sure said:
This happened to me a couple of times yesterday. Sony's online network sucks ass.

This isn't necessarily a PSN issue - it's most likely an issue with your ISP. There are ways to manually set the DNS server so it works every time. I had to do this and alr1ghtstart has linked a solution.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I'm also on Road Runner and having the same problem. It's been going on for roughly a month, and has gotten a lot worse since the last firmware update. It sucks.

Dead Man

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I've had this randomly happen since the update.

Doesn't happen often enough for it to bother, but often enough for me to know something is up.
Same. not on TW, new router. It's only happened about 3 or 4 times that I have noticed.

BigFwoosh

This had been happening to me too for a few weeks (yep, Time Warner here too). I fixed it by going into my PS3's network settings and manually setting my primary and secondary DNS servers to match the ones listed in my router configuration. My download speeds went up tremendously... I don't know why I hadn't done this before. I guess I was lazy and just set the DNS server to the IP of my router since that normally works fine.

Vard

I noticed this over the weekend too, when I was visiting back home where we have Road Runner. Thanks for what seems to be an easy fix, alr1ghtstart. I'll have to try that solution next time I'm there.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Happened to me too. Every single other device in the house worked fine. So weird. Time Warner here too.

Used opendns.org and it works fine now.
I feel bad for those less technically inclined though and are stuck.

Lebron

I can log online just fine, just can't stream media from my PC for shit anymore. Always has some error now. I tried yelling at it and giving it a small offering, neither of which worked. I'm out of ideas.

vireland

sprocket said:
old routers are getting shafted. I have an old linksys wireless and i get that 9 out 10 times now.

I assume you're going through a router. Change your router primary DNS to 4.2.2.1 and Secondary to 4.2.2.2 (tertiary to 4.2.2.3 if you have that). Should fix your DNS problems. This will free you from using your provider's DNS, which in the case of cable providers especially, is like a game of roulette at times.

If that doesn't work, set your PS3 to static IP, with the gateway your router's address, and the DNS set to the above.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I did the fix in the link above and now both of my PS3's are working great. I went from being unable to use it, to it working perfectly. I don't think it's a RR issue. I'm pretty positive that Sony changed something in the firmware. I never used to have any issues connecting at all, to both PS3's only being able to connect 10% of the time.

PSN is a piece of shit, the only time I can stay connected is when while I'm in a game

so basically if I want to get something from the store I have like less then a min before I get that 80710102 type error

Kowak

Banned
i got this today and found it unusual as it has never happenened when my connection is fun, was quite annoying

tass0

Banned
Lebron said:
I can log online just fine, just can't stream media from my PC for shit anymore. Always has some error now. I tried yelling at it and giving it a small offering, neither of which worked. I'm out of ideas.

Off topic, but where is the character in your avi from? I feel like I've seen her before..

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been having this too! I changed my DNS router settings to 4.2.2.1 as recommended here, hopefully that works.

OnPoint

I've had this issue lately as well. Mine didn't work yesterday until after I watched an episode of 30 Rock, though, I doub t that had anything to do with it. I also use Time-Warner.

Maybe I'll just switch to wired.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Changing the DNS numbers seems to be fixing the problem, as some here are saying. That outage that occurred with Time Warner caused the communication problems between the TW and the PSN. We've been getting a lot of consumers having this problem and almost everyone of them has TW so we've been rather busy the last few days. If I can remember, I'll try to get a hold of the DNS numbers at work and post them here.

I have been going nuts over this issue. It seems to have gotten worse after the latest update. I just purchased a new router in hopes that it fixes this issue. Seriously, not only do I get the dns errors but not my ps3 completely locks up when trying to connect.

I have never had to turn off my PS3 in the year I have had it now I'm getting lock-up and freezes every time I try to go online. BTW I too have RR. I will check out that link to see if it helps.

MoxManiac

darkjedi187 said:
I have been going nuts over this issue. It seems to have gotten worse after the latest update. I just purchased a new router in hopes that it fixes this issue. Seriously, not only do I get the dns errors but not my ps3 completely locks up when trying to connect.

I have never had to turn off my PS3 in the year I have had it now I'm getting lock-up and freezes every time I try to go online. BTW I too have RR. I will check out that link to see if it helps.

Yes, if you use roadrunner, switch to using opendns. I guarantee it will fix your problem.

Dyno

Old routers cause this but it is easily fixed.

You change the DNS numbers when you set up your internet connection. In essence you fool your PS3 by giving it a false DNS number. These false numbers can always be found on PS3 threads throughout the internet. It's happened to me three times and each time I simply found one of these numbers, inputted it in, and successfully logged into the PSN.

Erebus

This has happened to me and my friend a few times in the past weeks. Nothing I tried would actually resolve the problem, it just went away on its own after a while. :\

Mashing

Just look at the DNS address on your router (most routers are IP's are 192.168.1.1) and then enter that DNS address into your PS3. DNS addresses RARELY change, unlike IP addresses. I would suspect this would fix your problem.

Also, you may have to disable the firewall on your router or put your PS3 in the DMZ. I was playing online games on my PC and I was getting back packet loss and long load times. I disabled the firewall and every problem I had cleared up instantly. Basically you just turn the router into a switch.

I haven't play my PS3 lately, so I don't know if I'd have the same problem or not (I have comcast high speed--which is what road runner became in my city).

Killzig

I was getting this after the last big update too. Switched my router to opendns and haven't had any problems since.

Dunlop

Wii - Wireless
360(1) - Wired
360(2) - Wireless
PSP
PS3

The only one that ever disconnects is my PS3...regularily. I tried to used it wired, wireless, dynamic ip, static ip.... This is also through 2 different routers (first LinkSys, Then D-Link)

it's very annoying, I just gave up

Top Bottom