• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games opening second studio to work on new IP; Hulst talks dev culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew they were working on a new IP, but I wasn't aware they were expanding!

Anywho, Destructoid just put up an article discussing the studio's humble beginnings, acquisition, growth, and general development culture based on Harman Hulst's keynote at GDC Europe earlier today (or yesterday, by this point). Here are some of the more interesting tidbits:

He showed a video of a tech demo, featuring space marines, that it showed Sony in 1999; it didn't look bad for a 1999 tech demo. It impressed Sony and the rest, as they say, is history.

[...]

Seriously though, he came across more as an old indie guy. He stressed how Guerilla's transition, from indie studio to Sony-published and then to Sony-owned allowed it to keep its culture. Interestingly enough, ex-Westwood hero Louis Castle had a talk earlier today about how you will always have to adapt after acquisition. But Hulst did create some confidence by talking about how it first looked at Gran Turismo developer Polyphony and Uncharted dev Naughty Dog and how they dealt with being owned by Sony.

On the Killzone side, he had some more interesting things to discuss. Guerilla apparently created a method which he dubbed "top-down and bottom-up." (He is so Dutch.) This consisted of analyzing all reviews of Killzone 1 and "all forum posts", which resulted in average scores, what was wrong about the first game, and what was good about it. It then took the top five best and worst elements and made it the objective to turn the worst five into highlights for Killzone 2. In a second analysis after Killzone 2's release, it turned out that three awful aspects of Killzone 1 (AI, death animations and cover) were now seen as being great in Killzone 2.

The studio did the same thing with Killzone 2, compiling a list of some of the game's most negative aspects as perceived by gamers and critics.

[...]

Finally, Hulst announced that Guerilla is starting up a new studio (in Amsterdam's downtown area) which will develop an as-of-yet-unannounced new IP. They are hiring, so get on it.

So I guess the main studio will keep working on Killzone for now?

Yoboman

Cool, hopefully not an FPS

And hopefully handled a bit better than last time they tried making multiple games at once *cough* Shellshock *cough*

Busty said:
Rest assured OP, despite the lack of replies I found this thread both interesting and informative.
Why thank you, kind sir.

I must say, your skill in bumping seems to have almost magical qualities!

As long as its radically different from Killzone, i dont mind if its another shooter. an espionage game with their engine would be all sorts of win. <3 GG

Varth

In Killzone 1 ending, they showed the game from a 3rd person perspective. It was a charm, and I've been waiting for something like that since then. Don't fail me, guys!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Crakatak187 said:
I'll take Adventure Action RPG. That would be too awesome for it to happen though.

yeah RPG ( like Kotor/Mass Effect , maybe even open world like Fallout 3 ) in Killzone Universe can be fantastic.

Corto

Colony Wars. Do it!

Edit: oops, read the entirety OP "New IP". Ok, a Space Flight simulator then in the same vein of Colony Wars, with a different name. Do it!

Man

I believe Guerrilla to be MGS fanboys (on a company level). A lot of the style in those games has spread over to KZ (look at this years E3 trailer).

I reckon samurai blades, half-naked people and robots.

Corto said:
Colony Wars. Do it!

Edit: oops, read the entirety OP "New IP". Ok, a Space Flight simulator then in the same vein of Colony Wars, with a different name. Do it!

Colonyzone, hell yea!

i'm personally hoping for a third person "survival horror" game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Man said:
I believe Guerrilla to be MGS fanboys (on a company level). A lot of the style in those games has spread over to KZ (look at this years E3 trailer).

I reckon samurai blades, half-naked people and robots.

yeah because Kojima invented Naked people , Samurais and robots..

Man

Totobeni said:
yeah because Kojima invented Naked people , Samurais and robots..
Dude. A burger consists of loaf, meat and ketchup.
Not until the Americans came around did we get this awesome combination.

Madman

Tempy said:
It's as if Liberation never existed.
Great game that was. Hard, but played very well and was a true portable game with stuff like challenge games and game sharing. Disappointing there won't be a sequel any time soon. :(

Maybe one of the studios will do Liberation 2 when the PSP2 comes out.

Lovely news, thanks OP!
Always-honest said:
make an action rpg please.
This, please! real-time strategy action RPG with squad elements would be right up my back alley.
Tempy said:
): I loved liberation. Wish I had a PSP so I could own the game, I borrowed a friend's for about two weeks and couldn't finish the game.

Barrett2

Tempy said:

I would love a sequel to Liberation.

Hell, even if they can't do another one on PSP, make it an HD PSN download, 4 player co-op, same isometric style, etc.

.la1n

I enjoyed KZ2 up until the last boss fight which was a huge pain even on the easiest setting, finally finished and never wanted to go back. I really hope thats one of the complaints that gets on the top 5 to finish for KZ3.

I enjoyed KZ2 up until the last boss fight which was a huge pain even on the easiest setting, finally finished and never wanted to go back. I really hope thats one of the complaints that gets on the top 5 to finish for KZ3.

You hope that one of the main issues you had with KZ2 is one of the complaints that make it into the top 5....I guess you mean issues to fix with KZ3?

Dude KZ4...or KZSF for that matter, is out already...

DaFuq did I just read?

On topic, I'm excited for anything these guys make because the visuals will be amazing.

4 player co-op Killzone Shadow Fall has me interested in buying a PS4 again.

bombshell

You hope that one of the main issues you had with KZ2 is one of the complaints that make it into the top 5....I guess you mean issues to fix with KZ3?

DaFuq did I just read?

On topic, I'm excited for anything these guys make because the visuals will be amazing.

You just replied to a post... from 2010?

DaFuq did I just read?

You know this is a three-year old thread you just bumped?

DaFuq did I just read?

#Just2010Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom