• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution now has ads on load screens. Billboard ads incoming also.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Saw this at Reddit

jcwfY.jpg

I haven't played DX:HR yet, but that ad certainly looks obtrusive and I would be upset.

Searched, didn't see anything. Lock if old etc.

Ken

I never asked for ads?

Is this only on the PC version or does it also occur on consoles connected to the internet? Either way, it seems really obtrusive. Glad they didn't add ads in day one though so I could play in peace.

Salsa

Just read about this and laughed for about 10 minutes.

I hate this fucking shit, and if it becomes normal behaviour then well.. guess im not getting as many games. Im spending my money on this, dont throw ads at my face.

Stuff like this just goes a long way to show how much a particular dev cares about their customers.

I don't care, as long as the ads stay in the loading screen.

Too bad we all know they won't. There are games out there that already have ads, one way or another.

metareferential said:
I don't care, as long as the ads stay in the loading screen.

Too bad we all know they won't. There are games out there that already have ads, one way or another.

That sums up my thoughts on this

jediyoshi

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I guess that was why Steam was updating it earlier... so I gotta pay out the ass in bandwidth for this shit now?

ROFL. You're right, this changelog had nothing to do with it, that 200+ MB went all towards that tiny ad

Fixes:
- We have addressed various issues that can occur for players that would result in ‘stuttering’.
o Stutters that are the result of graphics driver shader processing are now removed or significantly reduced.
o Stutters that are the result of data streaming have been removed or significantly reduced.
o Performance has been improved and made more stable on dual-core systems. This could previously also result in stuttering.
- Fixed issue where some players couldn’t complete the Motherly Ties side quest.
- Fixed an issue where doors in Omega Ranch sometimes wouldn’t open.
- The TYM medical card should no longer fall through the table if an NPC’s body comes into contact with the card. Players already stuck in this area will need to revert to a previous save before the card fell through.
- Occasional hangs for some players during video-playback have been fixed.
- A crash on startup when running DX11 on a single-core CPU has been fixed.
- An issue causing Eyefinity setups to not be correctly detected for some players has been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where the HUD would get permanently disabled for some players.
- Fixed certain issues that caused the mouse cursor to be able to leave the game-screen on multi-monitor setups.
- Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to not be visible in-game when the user has mouse trails enabled in Windows. We still recommend disabling mouse trails for a smoother in-game mouse cursor.
- Fixed issue where ammo count for collected guns is incorrect when Adams weapon is augmented.
- In DX9 mode:
o Fixed error message for some users when trying to use FXAA Medium or FXAA Low anti aliasing modes.
o Fixed shadow-mapping ‘lines’ on some graphics hardware when using anisotropic filtering.

Feature Additions:
- The Enter and Numpad-Enter keys can now be bound to game actions in the keyboard control menu.
- Intro logos can now be skipped on all but the first run of the game.
- Added windowed mode.
o Selectable in the menu, and can be toggled between windowed, fullscreen, and fullscreen windowed using ALT-ENTER.
- Added an option to change the text language of the game. This setting only changes the text language, the audio is controlled by the language option in Steam.

Baha

Good thing I beat the game just before today's patch went up. They better have this shit sorted out before the dlc hits.

Salsa

I really dont get the "i dont care" comments tbh, how do you not care? this is how it start, next up ads fucking everywhere, including (like in this case) paid content. Its ridiculous, i dont wanna be bombarded with Lucas shitty blurays releases, the fuck is this.

Its not about size, its about how fucking tiring it is. Im already sick of seeing so many ads EVERYWHERE irl and internet, now on my games as well? :/ I think id even take product placement over this.

Calcaneus

That's about as much as I'll be cool with.

Wipeout HD had actual video ads playing during the load screens. Now that was fucked.

Clevinger

*shrug*

If it puts more money in the hands of the developers, I don't give a shit about a small box in the corner of a loading screen.

MaddenNFL64

Clevinger said:
*shrug*

If it puts more money in the hands of the developers, I don't give a shit about a small box in a loading screen.

But if I care, can I get an opt-out since I paid for the game? Or no?

I remember reading about this. I thought they were 'in-game' ads, as in part of the game world that Adam explores.

(I don't have my 360 connected to the Internet)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Changing the product after the fact with this shit is pretty low.

Of course this is the same game that locked away missions, weapons and so forth between retailer specific preorder crap so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Wallach

I want to be angry, since there's no reason I should have to view ads in the middle of a game I already paid for. Get that shit out of here.

What I really am though is kind of amused, as that is probably one of the shittiest forms of advertising ever. Who paid for that? It's a fucking tiny box on a screen gamers already dislike looking at.

Everything about this is the worst.

AEREC

Already been over this in the OT...but this news is sickening and I honestly wont be purchasing the DLC if this is how SE or Eidos want to do business..which sucks because Im really looking forward to it...but I really cant stand blatant ads that ruin immersion in stuff I pay for.

SalsaShark said:
I really dont get the "i dont care" comments tbh, how do you not care? this is how it start, next up ads fucking everywhere, including (like in this case) paid content. Its ridiculous, i dont wanna be bombarded with Lucas shitty blurays releases, the fuck is this.

As long as the ads are outside of the actual game, I don't care, as I said earlier.

But - again, as I've already stated - I do understand that this trend is only going to get worse and worse.

But if it helps keeping some developers afloat, I can tolerate it (or if we get a double offer, like "free spam-included version versus paid clean version").

And if a game ends up having too much obtrusive ads, people in the long term will just stop buying.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
MaddenNFL64 said:
If the game is free, who would care. You paid $60 for it. Give people an opt out for fucks sake, they paid good money for the thing.

I pay for tv and yet I still get ads :(

Top Bottom