• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution now has ads on load screens. Billboard ads incoming also.

Korigama

Alpha-Bromega said:
isn't one of the main themes of deux ex rampant corporatism pervading every aspect of our lives???
That's cyberpunk in general, really (more or less, depending upon the work).

epmode said:
That quote is out of control. Fuck em.

If I had known about this from the start, I would have waited for a sale at best.
But they are looking out for you and choosing the ads they know that you would want to see. I mean, they went out of their way to reject other ads, because they are thinking about you, the customer.

This is dumb but, as a poster on pg.1 put it, putting obstrusive ads in-between gameplay segments is cyberpunk as hell. Just one step towards that dark future where ads are beamed directly into our minds.

Dipswitch

If I paid full price for this, I'd be pretty irritated. Given that they can track your exposure to the ads in game, they should award free DLC after you've been forced to view X numbers of ads.

Of course they won't because they already have your money. Not to mention that it'd be smoke and mirrors bullshit anyway, because they'd just give you stuff that likely would have been in the game originally had they not stripped it out for DLC gouging purposes.

Publisher practices this generation are officially beyond the pale.

spirity

Dipswitch said:
If I paid full price for this, I'd be pretty irritated. Given that they can track your exposure to the ads in game, they should award free DLC after you've been forced to view X numbers of ads.

Of course they won't because they already have your money. Not to mention that it'd be smoke and mirrors bullshit anyway, because they'd just give you stuff that likely would have been in the game originally had they not stripped it out for DLC gouging purposes.

Publisher practices this generation are officially beyond the pale.

Seriously. I have never before felt so squeezed as I have this gen. From shitty dlc, ridiculous anti-piracy measures, features being cut from hardware, overpriced CE nonsense, no dedicated servers, worries about my credit card information being compromised, advertising on consoles and now advertising in games.

Holy shit. I know it's expensive to get a title out to market now more than it ever was, but the rest of the world is feeling the fucking pinch too.

Dave Long

Banned
Deified Data said:
This is dumb but, as a poster on pg.1 put it, putting obstrusive ads in-between gameplay segments is cyberpunk as hell. Just one step towards that dark future where ads are beamed directly into our minds.
The funny thing here is there are clearly people, right here on this very board, that would probably be a-ok with advertising beamed straight into their brain.

"I want to support the developers!"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
AEREC said:
Well, I guess the ads are here to stay and Ill be uninstalling this game and will not be purchasing the DLC.

Sucks that they took this long to talk about it and still are willing to piss off customers by saying it will be staying.

We’ve been closely watching the debate that’s been going on over the inclusion of advertising in Deus Ex. It’s clear there are strong views, but primarily lots of people have been asking for more information on the issue – so hopefully that’s something I can help with.

We’re aware that this is an emotive topic and so this is something we’ve been very, very careful about implementing – because what we absolutely don’t want to do is break immersion with the game itself.

In-game advertising is one of the revenue streams which games companies can use to supplement game sales and revenues generated in this way can genuinely help with the cost of development.

To explain a little about how the process works: As part of the deal we have with our advertising partner, we’re able to reject any ads which we don’t feel are of interest for the game or its player base. In fact, that’s why they’ve only started appearing recently – because we rejected everything else up until the recent ad on the loading screen. The timing there was purely coincidental with the release of a PC patch, by the way.

As to how we deal with ads in the future, we’ve noted the passion that some people feel about the issue, and that better up-front communication would be appreciated.

Full disclosure: We have just approved a new advert which will appear in the loading screen of the game soon. We haven’t cleared anything to run on the in-game billboards as yet (that functionality does exist in the game). Ads will appear in Deus Ex in the future and our aim is to try to keep them as relevant as possible.

For other future games we’ll definitely bear in mind all of your comments on this topic – but meanwhile please keep telling us your thoughts on what we do.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1695480&postcount=825

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Ah so it's just a matter of them deciding which advertising is relevant enough (like Star Wars) before it starts appearing in the game itself.

Honestly the idea of some futuristic Pepsi ad appearing while I'm walking around Detroit isn't nearly as offensive as seeing ads for Star Wars blu-ray on the loading screen.

AEREC

MaddenNFL64 said:
Oh boy. Consoles are still safe from this bullshit. I think.

No it's on consoles as well, there are not any ads right now, but when the next wave of loading screen ads comes along it will be on the 360 and PS3 as well.

Confidence Man said:
Ah so it's just a matter of them deciding which advertising is relevant enough (like Star Wars) before it starts appearing in the game itself.

Honestly the idea of some futuristic Pepsi ad appearing while I'm walking around Detroit isn't nearly as offensive as seeing ads for Star Wars blu-ray on the loading screen.
I would be okay with ads specially made for the game by real companies that appeared on in-game billboards... ads that came across as 2027, not 2011.

This fucking pisses me off so much, the billboard ads will be much worse too. What really pisses me off is not that there are ads, but that I paid full price not knowing they would be there. I think that is the last time I do any of this "day 1" crap, fuck full price. Most games aren't worth more than a $10-15 dollar steam sale anyways. Oh and I have to pay extra just to get all of the weapons? With ads? What the fuck.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Confidence Man said:

I really doubt there will be some "futuristic" Pepsi ad that is all cyberpunk-ish and stuff. Pepsi has a brand and an image they spend tens of millions of dollars a year on. The ad will be part of that brand.

Same goes for any company.

So... am I the only one who is not even remotely troubled by this?
It's irritating, sure, but that's it. It doesn't harm the game in any way.
Still not buying the DLC, though. Obvious ripoff.

fanboi

Banned
I can't see the problem is this... care to elaborate? What is so intrusive, offending etc...?

Ads = more money to publisher/dev = hopefully better games (even if 1% of the ads income go to funding development its still a better game...)

fanboi said:
Ads = more money to publisher/dev = hopefully better games (even if 1% of the ads income go to funding development its still a better game...)

It won't go to devs, instead it will fund suits' bonuses.

Well fuck these guys, not only was I planning on buying the DLC before this, now I'm probably just going to sell the game somewhere. Hopefully take out a potential new sale.

There are way too many other great games this Fall that don't have obnoxious, retconned ads that will be a better use of my time.

AEREC said:
Well, I guess the ads are here to stay and Ill be uninstalling this game and will not be purchasing the DLC.

Sucks that they took this long to talk about it and still are willing to piss off customers by saying it will be staying.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1695480&postcount=825
WTF with this link? Haha.

Also, "full disclosure" my ass. Full disclosure would have been telling us about these before the game came out so we as consumers could make an informed decision.

I have a hard time being mad at them. On one hand, I hate advertising in my games if it doesn't enrich the game world, on the other I see how risky it is to develop a game like Deus Ex in today's market. Admitted, if I bought it for the full price, I'd probably feel different about this but I paid about 34€. I can see why others hate it though.

I wonder if you never take a title update, if you'll still see the ads.

By the way according to Tom Chick, Wipeout HD no longer has those obnoxious State Farm ads in its load screens. I suspect there was no change of heart though, seems more likely to me the ad deal just ended.

Stupid modern cover based shooters have the perfect gameplay for advertising.

Video plays everytime your noob ass crouch behind a wall waiting for your health to automatically replenish.

Future of gaming. PM me for licensing.

aristotle

Neuromancer said:

By the way according to Tom Chick, Wipeout HD no longer has those obnoxious State Farm ads in its load screens. I suspect there was no change of heart though, seems more likely to me the ad deal just ended.

You should read more about what you're talking about before making assumptions. State Farm ad was pulled over backlash.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Neuromancer said:

Yeah, I've played a good bit of Wipeout Fury (bought it a couple months after release) and I'v never seen one of those awful State Farm ads.

Anyways, the whole billboard thing....I don't even know what to say about that lol. Maybe they don't RUIN THE ENTIRE GAME, but it's super tacky and should not be in a full priced retail game.

ctrayne

renitou said:
I will literally never buy this game.
The ads suck, but missing out on one of the more important and worthwhile games of the generation is not worth it. I doubt the devs' master vision of DXHR included ads - these things happen.

Wallach

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I've played a good bit of Wipeout Fury (bought it a couple months after release) and I'v never seen one of those awful State Farm ads.

Anyways, the whole billboard thing....I don't even know what to say about that lol. Maybe they don't RUIN THE ENTIRE GAME, but it's super tacky and should not be in a full priced retail game.

Yeah, exactly. I'm glad I played through this game before they got any of that shit up and running. It doesn't have any place in a full-price title.

MaddenNFL64

Man, I wish there was an option to turn it off or something in the next patch. Please.

I supported the game with my $60. Leave me alone already :(.

Neuromancer said:
WTF with this link? Haha.

Also, "full disclosure" my ass. Full disclosure would have been telling us about these before the game came out so we as consumers could make an informed decision.

It was noted in (p)reviews.

Anyways, for the record, if it's handled carefully I don't care.

It doesn't matter if it's a Helix3000 billboard ad or a Mcdonalds one.

Dizzy-4U

I'm ok if they include the Coca-Cola billboard from Blade Runner.

I wonder though, how long until companies start doing the "pre-order our game now and recieve the ad-free version!!!"

I would pay more for an ad-free option. I did it with my Kindle.

This is, frankly, bullshit.

Advertising in all its forms is a real annoyance to me. I haven't bought DXHR yet, and this knowledge will impact the price at which I might.

jambo

Dyni Crippler said:
So... am I the only one who is not even remotely troubled by this?
It's irritating, sure, but that's it. It doesn't harm the game in any way.
Still not buying the DLC, though. Obvious ripoff.
I'm the same, really don't get some of the reactions in here.

Uninstalling the game? Haha

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm fine with games featuring branding when it's adapted to suit the game world, but to me there is a difference between seeing a futuristic looking Coke logo on the side of a skyscraper, and a billboard featuring a real life advertisement. Tasteful brand placement could work well in a game like Deus Ex, but this kind of direct advertising just looks tawdry and makes me not want to play the game.

I'll reiterate that I wish I bought the game used or rented this, the game itself is fine ad all but I don't excuse this shit. Poke poke, shit will keep getting worse.

mdtauk

Neuromancer said:

No, apparently the game does still have loading screen ads (Sony stealth reinserted them into the game some months back)

Some users found a way to block the ads though http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938148-wipeout-hd/59629793

Top Bottom