• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just needed to see AirPlay. I'm happy.

LCfiner

this came out of nowhere!

WCjLY.jpg

Notification center could be nice.

edit: From the Verge

Mountain Lion also represents a dramatic speedup in the pace of OS X updates: Apple says it'll be issuing yearly updates from now on.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Also, that mountain lion icon is so angry looking. It's like it's staring right into my soul and leaving no room for misinterpretation...it wants to kill me.

That came out of nowhere.

So, how many years until iOS and OS X merge?

Two years is my guess. By then the cloud stuff will be so sophisticated, that it will allow for iMessage style seamless client across all programs, and you iPad, Mac and iPhone will be a window into the same desktop, apps and files.

LCfiner

"iCloud also does a lot of silent work in the background in Mountain Lion: apps like Messages, Reminders, Calendar, and Notes all seamlessly sync across devices, and Safari syncs tabs across OS X and iOS, much like the new Chrome for Android.

sweet

noah111

Still Alive
FUCK ME SIDEWAYS, didn't see this coming. The pussies Apple comes up with never ceases to amaze me, either.

Reminders, YES. Exactly what i've been asking for since iOS 5. iMessage = the new iChat, too?

dkeane

About time they give us a better messaging app.
Also happy they'll be giving me back my MobileMe Safari tab syncing.
Hopefully it'll only be $20

LCfiner

Am I the only person not thrilled about the blending of OS X and iOS?

when I first saw that Notes and Reminders from iOS were in 10.8, I had a knee jerk negative reaction.

then I remembered that they weren't particularly well implemented or discoverable as components on Mail and iCal so I can see why they would deserve their own apps. (though I still think one app on the Mac to combine them would be better)

edit: I also like the idea of Safari adopting Chrome's single address/search bar. and Airplay mirroring will be nice. I think that just made it easier to use a mac and an apple tv for light HTPC use or streaming media on a TV

Oh, come on, I just installed Lion a couple of weeks ago...

I hope my early 2008 MacBook can run it.

EDIT:

The Verge said:
In addition, Mountain Lion includes Game Center and GameKit, which allows for cross-platform multiplayer gaming and achievements. There's also enhanced iCloud support across the entire system, further refinements to Mail, new Twitter integration with a iOS-like Share button available across apps, and a host of additions and features specific to China, Apple's fastest-growing market. It's a ton of stuff; Mountain Lion is very much a major new version of OS X, not just a polish-and-stabilize job like Snow Leopard.

Wow.

Well, never saw that coming. I like the idea of having airplay, notification centre and iMessage all up in my Mac.

Now, please update the Mac Pro for god sake.

"iCloud also does a lot of silent work in the background in Mountain Lion: apps like Messages, Reminders, Calendar, and Notes all seamlessly sync across devices, and Safari syncs tabs across OS X and iOS, much like the new Chrome for Android.

sweet

Oh gawd..back to Safari again!

Doomboy

Neo Member
Also Safari now has an omnibox, similar to Chrome, i.e. you can use the same text field to search and enter URLs.

EDIT: Oh, and by default you can only download apps from the Mac App Store. Welcome to the sandbox.

Mountain Lion seems like an awesome update. May have to get an Apple TV so that I can stream all of my Whiskey Media content over to my TV. At the moment I don't have any other alternative.

I have a question: if someone let me into the iOS 5 developer preview earlier last year, will I be able to get into the Mountain Lion developer preview with the same account if I find a download of it somewhere?

hiro4

I'm still on snow leopard and not really in the mood to upgrade.

But I must say all the connectivity with iOS does make me consider upgrading.
Or at least use it to its potential when I buy a new mac.

Also Safari now has an omnibox, similar to Chrome, i.e. you can use the same text field to search and enter URLs.

EDIT: Oh, and by default you can only download apps from the Mac App Store. Welcome to the sandbox.

What do you mean? We can't download apps from the internets?

RSP

Am I the only person not thrilled about the blending of OS X and iOS?

Personally I think it works pretty well! On top of that, it makes sense that a couple of years from now the iPhone and iPad are able to do the same tasks that your laptop currently does. So the screen will just be a terminal, and the OS will just change its appearance depending on what interface you use (keyboard/mouse, fingers, television, etc).

Doomboy

Neo Member
What do you mean? We can't download apps from the internets?

By default, no. You have to go into your system preferences to change it. So not that bad in reality, but I'm sure there will be plenty of heat about it.

EDIT: Actually, it seems the default option is one where you are allowed to download apps from the internet, HOWEVER they must be verified by Apple and signed with an Apple ID.

By default, no. You have to go into your system preferences to change it. So not that bad in reality, but I'm sure there will be plenty of heat about it.

I read it's called Gatekeeper

You can download and run applications from anywhere, just as in OS X Lion. To be even safer, download and run apps from the Mac App Store and apps with a Developer ID. Or download and run only apps from the Mac App Store — the safest setting of all.

Looking good. Integrating iOS and OSX is probably the most practical and sensible consumer desire right now, but I like the new Notes options as well. On top of this, there'll be some more performance improvements too.

Cook hasn't screwed up—yet.

noah111

Still Alive
Oh man, the more I read about it the more i'm getting giddy. Notification center, the beginning of the end for Growl? Notes finally gets out of shitty Mail. Reminders gets free of shitty iCal integration. Sharing to iMessage/Twitter across apps. AIRPLAY! Search in Launchpad (thank god), and deep iCloud integration.

God, they really are slowly but surely merging and streamlining all of their OS's to be incredibly alike an accessible to anyone who has ever used an iOS before. Good stuff.

Anyone else getting this error message on the Messages Beta page?

Our apologies but there was an unexpected error with the application. This problem has been noted, and an email has been sent to the administrators. Please check back in a few hours to try the download again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom