• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Good video on The Verge. Looks slick, I like the notification stuff, and it looks like they are making iCal less terrible.

I think i'll probably get an Apple TV now. They are making it *really* attractive to own a bunch of Apple stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm guessing $19 then. Apple's previous price-point was $39 and they're speeding up the update process, so that would logically suggest a lower cost. Also without physical media there's basically no distribution cost involved.

Doomboy

Neo Member
This strikes me as interesting, from daringfireball.net -

iCloud document storage, and the biggest change to Open and Save dialog boxes in the 28-year history of the Mac. Mac App Store apps effectively have two modes for opening/saving documents: iCloud or the traditional local hierarchical file system. The traditional way is mostly unchanged from Lion (and, really, from all previous versions of Mac OS X). The iCloud way is visually distinctive: it looks like the iPad springboard — linen background, iOS-style one-level-only drag-one-on-top-of-another-to-create-one “folders”. It’s not a replacement of traditional Mac file management and organization. It’s a radically simplified alternative.

Would like to know more about that.

It's like having an interior designer come in every year and rearrange your stuff.
Nice service, but a bit annoying.

It's more like an interior designer comes in with a plan for how your house will look in ten years, and instead of remodeling, every year he just adds another couple pieces of furniture and does a little painting.

LCfiner

Mountain Lion seems like an awesome update. May have to get an Apple TV so that I can stream all of my Whiskey Media content over to my TV. At the moment I don't have any other alternative.

I have a question: if someone let me into the iOS 5 developer preview earlier last year, will I be able to get into the Mountain Lion developer preview with the same account if I find a download of it somewhere?

heh, I was thinking the same thing.

I've done airplay streaming from my phone to the TV for some Giantbomb stuff. doing it from the computer will be even easier for me.

---------

The gatekeeper is the biggest change in how the OS works. The default setting is NOT Mac App Store only. the default setting is signed developers and MAS only. I think that's a safe default position for the majority of people.

I will likely move it to the "unsigned" developers.

I also do not think Apple will get rid of this choice on the Mac. I now some may think I am being naive but I expect that the choice will always be there. they will just ship with a safe default setting.

LCfiner

I'm guessing $19 then. Apple's previous price-point was $39 and they're speeding up the update process, so that would logically suggest a lower cost. Also without physical media there's basically no distribution cost involved.

Lion is 29.99

29.99 bucks says Mountain Lion is also 29.99 :)

that's gonna be Apple's default OS upgrade price.

edit:

And Growl isn't dead. those who require Growl's customization will keep it around. there will be enough people who use this to keep it relevant.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The developer preview of Mountain Lion features the all new Messages app which replaces iChat and allows you to send unlimited messages, high-quality photos and videos directly from your Mac to another Mac or iOS device. Messages will continue to support AIM, Jabber, Yahoo! Messenger and Google Talk. Starting today Lion users can download a beta of Messages from www.apple.com, and the final version will be available with Mountain Lion. Reminders and Notes help you create and track your to-dos across all your devices. Game Center lets you personalize your Mac gaming experience, find new games and challenge friends to play live multiplayer games, whether they’re on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

OH HELL YES

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i kind of think that apple should give away these 'service pack'-style upgrades for free, and charge for the major updates but eh, day one

noah111

Still Alive
overview_reminders_subhead.png

Lmao, only Apple could come up with this shit.

Anyway, I have Messages, anyone wanna try it out with me/eachother?

Oh and;

overview_gamecenter_title.png

overview_gamecenter_subhead.png

overview_gamecenter.png

This looks like it could have some ridiculous potential amongst the newcomers.

NekoFever

Watching the video on the Apple site, I have a lot less of a problem with the features they've brought over from iOS in 10.8 than in 10.7. All of those make sense, whether it's improving the current half-assed implementation of Notes and Reminders or bringing over things that have no OS X equivalent at the moment. Bringing together iMessage, iChat and FaceTime is a no-brainer too. Ditto unifying notifications, AirPlay, etc.

Much better than worthless features like LaunchPad.

Not sure how to feel about them putting the notifications icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar. Spotlight has been there for ages.

LCfiner

So, like OpenFeint or Bodega LOOOL

I was thinking more like Instapaper, after Safari's Read it later for Mac/ iOS got announced.

there were some initial reactions that RIL and instapaper were screwed... but that never happened.

I don't think Notification center will be able to replace Growl for the people who swear by it now.

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure how to feel about them putting the notifications icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar. Spotlight has been there for ages.
And I haven't used it for ages. In with the new and out with the old, I say. (it's still there, anyway)

Chris R

Game Center sounds interesting but I'm hopin I can just stay on Lion.

Wonder how this lines up with new hardware coming out down the road...

Looks like a nice step up from Lion. It's also interesting that they're switching to a yearly upgrade cycle like with iOS. I'm thinking this might be a free update. There's not really a lot of big changes but I could see them doing $29.99 as well.

They're not merging OS X and iOS but making them more compatable. Not that I think merging the two would be terrible, as long as OS X is an open system.

noah111

Still Alive
Wonder how this lines up with new hardware coming out down the road...
Could it be possible that the rumored MacBook Air/Pro refresh/redesign will come along with this in the summer? I always pictured it as a winter thing, but I guess that'll be saved for iPhone 5.

Totally unexpected. It's amazing how Apple still manages to keep air-tight secrets like this.

I like the idea of yearly updates. Keeps things fresh. It's what they've been doing with iOS anyway.

Also, does it say anywhere that this is "10.8"?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Looking forward to this, all the listed features are things I'll end up using. The more integrated my notebook is with my phone the better.

LCfiner

Me neither, it's just like what Microsoft is doing with 8

well... not quite.

for one thing, they're still two separate releases for Apple.

And Apple isn't creating a UI that they expect you to touch directly with your fingers on the Mac.

There are some ideas that are the same between Win8 on tablets and OS X/ iOS sharing but Apple hasn't gone in whole hog like MS has, making one OS that tries to be everything on all devices.

I still think Apple's worst attempt to make Mac OS X more iOS-like was adding the fullscreen launchpad for app icons in 10.7. That never felt right. The stuff I'm seeing in 10.8 mostly makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom