• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Girl's Guide to The Avengers" Sexist tripe or cutesy satire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is seeing Scarlett holding that little-ass 9mm pistol as she's surrounded by fucking Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Cap and Hawkeye...makes me lol.

Give her an automatic machine gun, a futuristic pistol, special bullets or something. Anything to make her look not completely out of place.

and i'm wondering how regular ol' bullets are supposed to penetrate alien and/or demigod armor/skin.

All I know is seeing Scarlett holding that little-ass 9mm pistol as she's surrounded by fucking Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Cap and Hawkeye...makes me lol.

Give her an automatic machine gun, a futuristic pistol, special bullets or something. Anything to make her look not completely out of place.

Obligatory:

oYQEn.jpg

"fluent in martial arts"? I don't think fluent was the word you were looking for, writer.

What a crock of shit though. The only reason girls would go see a super hero film is because their boyfriend made them? This article is insulting to my intelligence.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
As your boyfriend probably told you, "The Avengers" is hitting theaters this Friday. And you, dutiful girlfriend, are attending. But you hate action movies and you've never even read a comic book. (Of course, that's not a slight against the girls who actually do read comic books -- i.e. real fans, actual people with varied interests -- but for this, let's just go with the stock view of ladies, ladies!)
Who is this girl that hates action movies?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
reads like so much stupid women's magazine tripe really. Which probably reads like so much stupid men's magazine tripe only with less boobs.

It is a little patronising. Why do you need an explanation? Its a comic book movie - done right you can go in with no understanding of the characters (although in this case it does help if you've seen the previous movies).

Who doesn't know the Hulk? Although maybe I'm showing my age, we grew up with the TV show.

Thor is fairly obvious as soon as you see him whether you've read the comic or not. Big god looking dude with a hammer, marshalls lightning.

Iron man is introduced being a smart arse billionaire and flying around a bit, thats all you need really.

Captain America actually gets
a flashback montage
so you're good to go there.

Black Widow is introduced right at the start with everything you need.

The movie is great and doesn't require a PhD in comic books to enjoy or understand whats going on. Loki is probably the only one that isn't really explained much and could be confusing for people, so watching Thor helps, but even then his scenes with Thor point out the relationship and you can extrapolate from there.

i'm thinking too much now, I'll stop :)

The hell is the Avengers? Is this like the Justice League? And what kind of shitty superhero uses a bow and arrow? And why are there so many superhero movies? There a new one every week. Jesus. Every other movie that comes out these days is based off of a kids book or comic book. Jesus Hector Christ.

The hell is the Avengers? Is this like the Justice League? And what kind of shitty superhero uses a bow and arrow? And why are there so many superhero movies? There a new one every week. Jesus. Every other movie that comes out these days is based off of a kids book or comic book. Jesus Hector Christ.

Okay grandpa we'll get off your lawn.

Hi.jpg

Replicant

What NOT to say:
"Do you think Scarlett Johansson is pretty?"
"Oh, so it's like the 'New Years Eve' of superhero movies?"
"Who could concentrate on the story with all those biceps?"
"Boys are so weird."

What to say:
"Thank GOD someone did the Hulk correctly."
"I can't wait for 'Thor 2.'"
"Joss Whedon is the man."
"Yeah, you're definitely Iron Man. If he were buffer."

I LOL'd

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This was satire before the editors note... People need to chill the fuck out.

You'd better get used to it. Once the next set of films picks up, we're going to be seeing one every few months from Marvel.

Errrm, probably because I'm in the minority (along with most of GirlGAF I guess!) this article DID offend me. Makes me feel like I'm not normal because, shock horror, I like action movies and superheroes.

As an aside: I liked the movie, managed to see it last Thursday (alone) and last night (I took the bf) so screw YOU stupid magazine article!

This was satire before the editors note... People need to chill the fuck out.
The only value it has, satire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom