• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 looks a little like Metroid Prime (and that's a good thing)

Guevara

Here's the whole trailer: youtube

I think its great that Halo is moving in a slightly new direction with 4, and the Prime series is a great inspiration. I'm not the only one who thinks so:

Celebrate Metroid Prime's 10th Anniversary with... Halo 4?
There's something rather familiar about these AI drones, though. With their insectoid design and glowing mechanical seams, they feel like they've stepped directly out of Retro Studio's Metroid Prime series. But hey, big deal, right? Prime was hardly the first sci-fi work to employ that black-and-glowing-amber visual style. I was willing to concede the possibility of mere coincidence... until the Chief switched to a special scan visor mode that revealed a host of previously invisible enemies. Samus Aran is not amused.

But let's not use such crass terms as "rip-off" or "theft." Inspiration comes in more nuanced forms than that. You'd have a tough time arguing that Halo 4 doesn't draw some ideas and aesthetics from Metroid Prime, but why not? In many ways, Metroid Prime 3 felt like Nintendo's answer to Halo. Just as Tomb Raider and Prjnce of Persia/Assassin's Creed appear to be caught in a perpetual game of one-upmanship, maybe Metroid and Halo are destined to spend the next decade jockeying to outdo the other -- assuming Nintendo remembers the Metroid series exists, that is. We haven't seen a new Prime since 2007. If Nintendo's not going to use that rich history of design, someone might as well get some use out of it. Besides, the echoes of Prime (if you'll pardon the expression) seem like only a single element of Halo 4's new sandbox. The new enemies juke and dodge in surprising ways, and even the Covenant behaved a little differently than in the old days.
1up
Time said:
The company launched with clearly Xbox 360-quality footage of Halo 4, as Master Chief witnessed something crash, something else fly off into the distance, then poked around in a jungle, initially taking out familiar Covenant aliens. And then the obligatory new aliens we’ve been expecting since Halo 4 was first announced appeared: “…some kind of defense A.I. — definitely not Convenant,” said series sidekick Cortana, as a flaming skull-faced variant pounced like Ghost Rider’s head on the body of one of Metroid Prime‘s enemies. Cue creepy insect-like robots swarming tree limbs and a spoiler that the series may turn Cortana into a villain. So far, so still-very-much-Halo (would we have it any other way?).
Time
Joystiq said:
The demo was impressive, looking like it mixed the styles of Halo and Metroid Prime. Halo 4 launches on November 6, 2012.
Joystiq
Examiner said:
The show kicked off with a “Halo 4” reveal. Showing a mix of live action and in-game sequences, we got a glimpse of what to expect from the Master Chiefs new experience. The clip starts off in an unknown world showing a very lavish jungle world and a quick interaction with the good ol’ covenant, but quickly turns into a fight against unknown hostile “Defense AI.” An intense battle ensued portraying some awesome new “forerunner” weaponry as well as the ability to sprint, aim-down site, and multiple visor configurations similar to “Metroid Prime.” To round out the demo, it seems Master Chiefs side kick “Cortana” is loosing her mind while an “ancient evil” is awakened.
Examiner
Flesh Eating Zipper said:
In its thunderous open, Microsoft showed off just one of the many fruits of 343 Studios’ work on Halo 4 with a brief introduction to the single-player campaign during their E3 2012 press onference. As we covered in our live blog, the jungle level they had shown seemed awfully reminiscent of Retro’s first-person reboot of the Metroid series. From the more complete visor, to the glowing bug-like enemies and an alien super soldier with a small avatar/chopper in its back. All the time I watched this, I was having flashbacks to Metroid Prime’s exploratory levels.

After the show, I met briefly with a few 343 guys, including content producer David Ellis where they acknowledged they’d heard the reference.
http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/gaming/2012/06/weve-heard-it-a-few-times-343-on-halo-4s-resemblance-to-metroid/

I remember during the E3 conference, saying out loud ".... it looks like Metroid Prime!" in complete surprise.

This is a good thing. Metroid Prime was the best game of the last generation, and frankly not enough devs learned from it.

MisterHero

Why not, you can't celebrate Metroid Prime's birthday with the new Splinter Cell. MP1 and SC1 released the same month.

What a month.

Conor 419

Banned
A lot of people noticed, but I don't think it's particularly new. Elements of ODST reminded me of Metroid Prime.

Fuck it even, I think it's a great thing.

TL4E

What? Metroid Prime 3 was Nintendo's answer to Halo? No, it was completely based on the previous Primes, with the original coming out around the time of Halo 1. Metroid Prime was Nintendo's answer to bringing Metroid into a modern, 3D environment, and nothing else.

Besides, Metroid Prime 3 is on a whole different level compared to Halo. The only major similarity is that both are in first person.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I think it's great that Halo 4 is metroid prime-ish in some ways.

Red

What? Metroid Prime 3 was Nintendo's answer to Halo? No, it was completely based on the previous Primes, with the original coming out around the time of Halo 1. Metroid Prime was Nintendo's answer to bringing Metroid into a modern, 3D environment, and nothing else.

Besides, Metroid Prime 3 is on a whole different level compared to Halo. The only major similarity is that both are in first person.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I think it's great that Halo 4 is metroid prime-ish in some ways.
Metroid Prime 3 was a huge departure from the previous two games and did its damnedest to kill any sense of user exploration or cohesiveness. Fuck it I hated that game. I don't know if it was Nintendo's response to Halo, but it was Nintendo's response to something, and it was terrible.

/rant

Seda

Metroid Prime was trending (in the US, anyway) on Twitter during the Halo 4 demo in the MS presser.

I agree, MP is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the new enemies. And I'd love if 343 added a face-reflection effect on the visor like the one in MP. Maybe they won't ever do it because MC hasn't yet (and probably won't ever have) an official face, but they could use kinect to project the player's face :)

TL4E

Metroid Prime 3 was a huge departure from the previous two games and did its damnedest to kill any sense of user exploration or cohesiveness. Fuck it I hated that game. I don't know if it was Nintendo's response to Halo, but it was Nintendo's response to something, and it was terrible.

/rant

I didn't get that feel. It was more linear compared to the other Metroid Primes, but it felt like a Prime game nonetheless.

Lunar15

I don't think it's going to play like a Prime game, but hey, if more games want to start adopting that sense of ambiance and environment, I'm all for it.

Red

I didn't get that feel. It was more linear compared to the other Metroid Primes, but it felt like a Prime game nonetheless.
The Saturday morning cartoon cast of characters, constant "go here!" messages, linear hallway after hallway with ship segments breaking up bite-sized levels, the "win button" corruption mode, the fact that all but one or two power ups the entire game are placed directly in your path, the massive glowing weak spots and bounce back attacks and shockwaves of almost every single boss, the terrible VAs... few games have as consistently disappointed me the way MP3 did.

I enjoyed the derelict ship. I can give it that. And the short Metroid lab segment was cool.

Conor 419

Banned
Neither Halo or Metroid were an answer to another, but I have loved watching the series parallel each-other over time, which is why I was even more gutted about the lack of Prime 4.

Struct09

I can see the similarity in the HUD, and it's definitely not a bad game to draw comparisons to. Halo 4 looks great.

Cystm

I will gladly welcome two years of fps copying Metroid Prime after Halo 4 success. Crysis 4: metroid, Killzone 4: metroid, and Doom 4: metroid.

I don't know about all that, but I certainly wasn't adverse to the apparent similarities between Metroid's aesthetics and Halo 4's.

And I now I feel a compulsory urge to play Metroid Prime again.

Red

Maybe it will drag over Nintendo fans and they can play a real shooter.

JOKING!!!
I liked Metroid Prime because it wasn't a shooter. Prime 3 changed that, which is one of the major reasons I did not like it.

I think Halo 4 looks great! And I can see the influence, but I think it is being overstated.

Spawnling

Unreal_championship_cover.jpg
I think it's more like this :)

Guevara

The Saturday morning cartoon cast of characters, constant "go here!" messages, linear hallway after hallway with ship segments breaking up bite-sized levels, the "win button" corruption mode, the fact that all but one or two power ups the entire game are placed directly in your path, the massive glowing weak spots and bounce back attacks and shockwaves of almost every single boss, the terrible VAs... few games have as consistently disappointed me the way MP3 did.

I enjoyed the derelict ship. I can give it that. And the short Metroid lab segment was cool.

While I agree with your points, Corruption was the only Prime game I played start to finish in a single weekend. For the other games, I took my time and played in 2 hour chunks over a few weeks. Part of that was because 3 was streamlined, shorter and easier. I never really got stuck on a puzzle or boss (Quadraxis). But I also really liked the general pacing and Wii controls.

halo and metroid are some of my favorite game franchises so seeing the two kinda come together on halo 4 has gotten me so fuckin hyped. ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

i need more metroid in my life though. cmon nintendo

Raide

I liked Metroid Prime because it wasn't a shooter. Prime 3 changed that, which is one of the major reasons I did not like it.

I think Halo 4 looks great! And I can see the influence, but I think it is being overstated.

I can see next Metroid using the Controller heavily for scanning and environmental stuff. Which would be great!

ZeroGravity

As someone who's never bought a Halo game before, making it more like Metroid Prime might be enough to actually get me into this one.

Red

While I agree with your points, Corruption was the only Prime game I played start to finish in a single weekend. For the other games, I took my time and played in 2 hour chunks over a few weeks. Part of that was because 3 was streamlined, shorter and easier. I never really got stuck on a puzzle or boss (Quadraxis). But I also really liked the general pacing and Wii controls.
I liked the Wii controls too, but often had trouble with them. I am not going to suggest something ludicrous like you are not allowed to like the game, but I was really put off by the ways it was influenced by contemporary shooters (ease, linearity, focus on combat, etc). We've got our preferences. Mine tends more toward the exploratory. MP3 was not what I wanted.

Also Quadraxis remains my favorite boss in gaming. Loved everything about it. MP2 has probably the best boss battles of any game I can think of. Our tastes differ!

Skytown is often praised. I can't see the appeal. It looks cool sure. But it is the antithesis of level design from Prime 1 and 2. It is a series of linear catwalks, punctuated by samey elevators and actual literal on-rails sections.

KageMaru

Aren't there some members of the team from Retro?

Yes, but they are working on Sparton Ops IIRC. So I think it's more of a coincidence or inspiration with the art team than anything directly related to past experience.

It is in the art that it resembles Metroid more than anything else IMO.

I can see the similarity in the HUD, and it's definitely not a bad game to draw comparisons to. Halo 4 looks great.

I keep seeing the HUD used as an example but to me it looks like a newer version Halo's HUD. Am I missing something here?

Platy

SakSg.jpg

This means that we will finaly see the face of Master Chief ?

I'm all for any game taking notes and ideas from Metroid Prime !
Lets hope for some awesome Helmet effects =3

Ocaso

I'm not one of the Prime series' ardent defenders, believe me, but Corruption was hardly the travesty you're making it out to be. Hell, in some ways it's more of a Metroid game than the original Prime. Yes, there were "missions" that told you where to go, but the key to exploration in all of the Primes is that you never really knew how to get where you were going. The game was perhaps slightly more linear than the original, but there were tons of opportunities to get lost or sidetracked (provided the actual hint system was turned off, of course). I'm not a fan of the extraneous characters, but their sporadic lines weren't that bad. It's not Uncharted, perhaps, but it's not Resident Evil either. The ship was little more than a teleporter, and implemented with far more deference to the core gameplay than even I expected. And to top it off, the environments showcased Retro at their most creative, with the terrain never being less than gorgeous. It's not my favorite of the Primes (that would be Echoes), but it's close.

On-topic, while the demo was reminiscent of, and perhaps partly inspired by the Prime series, it's not quite enough to claim that the game itself is Prime-inspired. An alien world always provides opportunities for creativity, but as far as we know other levels look as Earthy as anything else in Halo.

And here I am thinking I was done with Halo.

This is exactly what the series needed. I can't wait.

Maybe it's just the way the guy was playing, but it does seem a little slower and maybe a little more scripted. Not that I have a problem with that though.

I'm not one of the Prime series' ardent defenders, believe me, but Corruption was hardly the travesty you're making it out to be. Hell, in some ways it's more of a Metroid game than the original Prime. Yes, there were "missions" that told you where to go, but the key to exploration in all of the Primes is that you never really knew how to get where you were going. The game was perhaps slightly more linear than the original, but there were tons of opportunities to get lost or sidetracked (provided the actual hint system was turned off, of course). I'm not a fan of the extraneous characters, but their sporadic lines weren't that bad. It's not Uncharted, perhaps, but it's not Resident Evil either. The ship was little more than a teleporter, and implemented with far more deference to the core gameplay than even I expected. And to top it off, the environments showcased Retro at their most creative, with the terrain never being less than gorgeous. It's not my favorite of the Primes (that would be Echoes), but it's close.

On-topic, while the demo was reminiscent of, and perhaps partly inspired by the Prime series, it's not quite enough to claim that the game itself is Prime-inspired. An alien world always provides opportunities for creativity, but as far as we know other levels look as Earthy as anything else in Halo.
And what would a 'Metroid' game be?

EvB

The enemies are a little more insectoid in Appearance, but stupid flying insects have been in Halo since Halo 2.

Top Bottom