• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 looks a little like Metroid Prime (and that's a good thing)

Don't leave out the Tron similarities. To me it looks like a Metroid Prime / Tron crossover, with the bands of lighting that accent the structures and armor. Even the death animations where players and enemies disintegrate look very similar.

e32012halo4spartanops1jpg-fdfc70_640w.jpg

backglass-1.jpg

e32012halo4spartanops5jpg-d3cf82_640w.jpg

e32012halo4campaign2jpg-2863f0_640w.jpg

Portugeezer

I agree. Love the new Halo 4 visor/hud, the enemies look a bit like it came from a Metroid Prime game.

Nintendo doesn't want to give us a Metroid game, and I know Halo 4 is nothing like Metroid, but it will do for now.

Floex

Metroid was the first game that sprung to mind when watching the Halo demo. I said on another forum, atleast we get that Metroid game we all wanted on Xbox

I have also coined the phrase when mentioning Halo 4 - Haloid

Onemic

Does the game have a release date yet? This might be the one game that allows me to take the dust off my 360 and *gulp* maybe even make me pay for live gold again.

That looks like a space pirate.

And the Hud within your helmet thing definitely looks like it was inspired by prime.

I agree, the first thing I thought of when seeing the footage was Metroid Prime.

I really love the new style.

Aren't there some people who worked on Metroid Prime now working on Halo 4?

In all honesty, my only past interest in Halo has been playing Halo 1 with my friends in each other's basements and occasionally playing Halo 3 when my buddy would bring it over (I have no idea what a Halo game looks like full-screen).

But I was drawn in by the Halo 4 demo precisely because it reminded me of Metroid Prime. While I haven't decided if I will pick it up, I usually know immediately that I won't so a possibility is quite an improvement.

Phenomic

I remember during the E3 conference, saying out loud ".... it looks like Metroid Prime!" in complete surprise.

This is a good thing. Metroid Prime was the best game of the last generation, and frankly not enough devs learned from it.

Funny how I'm not the only one who did the same thing. Totally saw the lush greenland and Space Pirate monsters and instantly went there. Honestly if the rest of the game is similar I might end up playing it because of how much I loved Prime. I've never played the first 3 or Reach/ODST.

watership

To be fair, most of these design elements were in Halo before, Light based shields and weapons with the Covenant, and the forerunner with glowing light bridges and pulsing energy lines through everything. I like this direction tho.

I don't personally like Halo that much (although I actually do think they're quite well designed games, I just don't have a lot of fun playing them for whatever reason), so the discovery that the demo looked like Metroid Prime only served to make me want a new Metroid Prime using this generation's graphics. I hope it happens, but I think Nintendo might be moving away from a major emphasis on Metroid.

Because I think you can make the it "looks like x" even doing it your own way so it looks cool.
For example.
Halo 4 has a Metroid Prime vibe, but I think it looks really cool and having it doesnt look like theay are trying to copy anything. Just read what all people that says that it looks a little like Metroid prime, the majority things its using the vibe really well and looks awesome.

Now to Sony All-Stars. Yep, its has differences, but its nothing more than primarly a SSB copy, and it doesnt do it any favor. The game can be good or bad, but the vibe it gives, the first impression, is that its copying another game. I think it even gives me the feeling of looking too much to DreamMix TV World Fighters, the one with Optimus and Snake, I would have loved if it had use more Power Stone's template.

So its interesting how one suceeds having a good vibe and the other a bad one, at first glance I mean, the ending quality of the games is anothers story.

Ocaso

And what would a 'Metroid' game be?

Ah, that's the crux of the argument. I'd say the answer is multifactorial, with a few essential core elements (pathfinding, upgrades), and many supporting ones. The supporting ones are the ones that usually trip up gamers and where many arguments originate. Is complete solitude essential? Ostensibly alien worlds? Does the music have to adhere to a certain style or ambient tone? Your answers to this may differ from mine, but I'd argue that Corruption's environments were both distinctive and uniquely otherworldly in a way that the original Prime was not and that by not relying on constant beam switching, the gameplay actually resembled the 2D games more than other entries.

AlStrong

Chief is really a woman under there with a voice modulator.

WE HAVE ALL BEEN FOOLED. The truth is that John actually died on his crash to Earth in Halo 3. At the end of Halo 2, Cortana made a backup copy of herself to send along with him. All those Cortana visions since then is really the copy of herself destabilizing within his zombie-brain-dead mind as she tries to continue functioning as him, even replicating his voice and actions the way she remembered because she can't accept that he's really dead. She lies to Johnson and everyone because Chief is the hero that the Earth needs at that time.

Similar to the Pillar of Autumn architecture indeed. ಠ_ಠ

Ah, that's the crux of the argument. I'd say the answer is multifactorial, with a few essential core elements (pathfinding, upgrades), and many supporting ones. The supporting ones are the ones that usually trip up gamers and where many arguments originate. Is complete solitude essential? Ostensibly alien worlds? Does the music have to adhere to a certain style or ambient tone? Your answers to this may differ from mine, but I'd argue that Corruption's environments were both distinctive and uniquely otherworldly in a way that the original Prime was not and that by not relying on constant beam switching, the gameplay actually resembled the 2D games more than other entries.
Ah, cool. I just wanted to be sure that this was something that you identified to be on a subjective level. ;) I think most of us can agree on the core elements, but everything else has kind of been disregarded on a per entry basis for years now that an objective standard is nearly impossible to come up with on what Metroid is exactly.

Unfortunately it won't play like it, I assume.

I certainly wouldn't want a Halo game to play like a Prime/Metroid game. Halo's combat/AI is extremely integral to the experience. Having Metroid level AI and combat would be incredibly disappointing in a Halo game.

Jay Sosa

I certainly wouldn't want a Halo game to play like a Prime/Metroid game. Halo's combat/AI is extremely integral to the experience. Having Metroid level AI and combat would be incredibly disappointing in a Halo game.

Of course not. It would be a pretty awesome game though*..plus the outrage would be hilarious.

*well for those who love MP obviously.

Of course not. It would be a pretty awesome game though*..plus the outrage would be hilarious.

*well for those who love MP obviously.
Nintendo should just get Retro to make a Metroid Prime 4. That's the only thing (other than SMG3) that could interest me in a Wii U right now.

Miles X

It's great to see the vast majority hyped for Halo again, reminds me of when MK 9 stuff started to get noticed.

343 seem to be doing a fantastic job, I'm more interested in 4 already than I ever was for Reach, I'm actually glad at this point Bungie moved on.

Slime

Banned
I remember this and Channel 51/Orbis Labs surfaced a few months after I Love Bees concluded.

Can't remember 100% if the linked site was legitimately tied into Nintendo's stuff, though I remember unfiction peeps thinking it was.

Dylan

1UP "The company launched with clearly Xbox 360-quality footage of Halo 4, as Master Chief witnessed something crash, something else fly off into the distance, then poked around in a jungle, initially taking out familiar Covenant aliens."

wtf @ this writing.

linko9

Is there any indication that this game will be anywhere close to as non-linear as the Metroid games? I haven't really been keeping up with this game.

.la1n

I love the art direction in Halo 4, if the campaign is as good as what Bungie has offered it will be fantastic. As for the Metroid reference, it's a great thing and if Nintendo brings just one Metroid Prime type game for Wii U I'll be all over it. Metroid Prime (the original) is probably my favorite game past few generations of hardware.

More games should look to Metroid Prime for inspiration. My #1 game of last generation, right alongside Halo 2 :)

I'm very, very happy about the similarities between Halo 4 and Metroid Prime!

Top Bottom