• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom reportedly expanding the Kiseki games to more platforms (3DS, Smartphones, PC)

Falcom may be expanding its Legend of Heroes series to non PlayStation platforms shortly. A seasonal company report on Falcom at Toyo Keizai's investor resources page says "The Kiseki series has been limited to PSP, but starting next term it will be offered on 3DS and a variety of other targets." ("Kiseki" is the Japanese name for the line of Legend of Heroes games that includes Trails in the Sky).

I'm too cheap to pay the ¥3,500 quarterly fee to access Toyo's financial reports, so I haven't verified if the quote, which appears at Game Jouhou, is actually at the site. Those with access can see the report here.

The latest PSP installment, Nayuta no Kiseki (which does away with the Legend of Heroes name), is due for release on July 26. The franchise is also coming to PlayStation Vita through an updated port of Zero no Kiseki.
http://andriasang.com/con1wg/3ds_legend_of_heroes/

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Great job locking down like... the only thing you had left, Sony.

Would rather have this on the Vita for pretty pictures, but... well, I know how this portable system stuff works by this point.

Neifirst

That's great news! As many people as possible should have the opportunity to play Trails in the Sky and/or other games in the series on their handheld or system of choice.

Aeana

The rumor also seems to include that they will be coming back to PC with the series as well. It'll be interesting to see if it turns out to be legitimate.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Omgfloofy also mentioned that Falcom might be going back to PC with the series. Possible, since there was also mention of Zero no Kiseki running on PC in-house, but there wasn't really any confirmation as to what exactly that was.

luca1980

Banned
I am European and I hate 3ds region lock
I am completely against 3ds support.
At least on vita I can hope to play a us version, with 3ds I am fucked up

Glass Rebel

The rumor also seems to include that they will be coming back to PC with the series as well. It'll be interesting to see if it turns out to be legitimate.

Do we know what numbers the Steam releases of Felghana and Origin did? I thought the Falcom userbase largely moved to PSP.

-MB-

About time falcom also embraced Nintendo portable systems.
Maybe they can take advantage of the biggest install base to sell more of their quality titles to.
They fully deserve it.

Aeana

Do we know what numbers the Steam release did? I thought the Falcom userbase largely moved to PSP.
There is no PSP userbase in the west. Knowing what the PSP games did in NA, I would be shocked if the Steam numbers were not better. Going back to PC would be for the benefit of the rest of the world, not Japan, obviously.

Kazerei

Banned
Hmm, I wonder if Ys Celceta will get ported to 3DS. I'm guessing Falcom will want to focus on PC and one handheld system, not two.

Hopefully the info about taking the series back to the PC is correct, as that would indicate that Falcom is serious about building an audience for it outside Japan.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
As somebody who was planning on importing Evolution for the Vita, this is a bit awful, because I don't want to have to deal with the 3DS's region lock for future games.

Takao

Banned
Whoever is in charge of third party relations at SCEJ seems to be pretty terrible at their job.

Hmm, I wonder if Ys Celceta will get ported to 3DS. I'm guessing Falcom will want to focus on PC and one handheld system, not two.

They're not canceling the Vita release of Celceta if that's what you're getting at.

lord

Just release it anywhere translated and I will buy it. I have TiTS, i bought it, but i have been hurt before (Shenmue) so i refuse to play this. I am yours Falcom, show me the way.

Kazerei

Banned
They're not canceling the Vita release of Celceta if that's what you're getting at.

Of course not, considering it's due for the end of September. I'm just thinking that if Falcom has announced the Kiseki series will be coming to 3DS, maybe the Ys series will follow.

Nice to see legend of heroes branch out to more platforms. Hopefully this increases the chances of this series getting international releases.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Of course not, considering it's due for the end of September. I'm just thinking that if Falcom has announced the Kiseki series will be coming to 3DS, maybe the Ys series will follow.

It's also possible that they wanted to cover both bases and made a deal with Sony for the Ys series and a deal with Nintendo for the LoH series.

Takao

Banned
It's also possible that they wanted to cover both bases and made a deal with Sony for the Ys series and a deal with Nintendo for the LoH series.

Sony would be on the losing end of that deal, lol.

I don't know what good announcing this does when you're about to launch the latest sequel, and an enhanced port on competing platforms.

Instro

Good, they should be bringing their games to as many systems as they can whether it be PC+handhelds or w.e. They may have a small dedicated base in Japan that will buy a system for their games, but they are missing out on larger opportunities.

Whoever is in charge of third party relations at SCEJ seems to be pretty terrible at their job.

It tends to happen when your system is a bomb.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Everything that increases the chance that we might get another LoH game is good news to me.

Yup, this is excellent news to hear... hopefully we'll have something positive to hear about TITS: SC soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see legend of heroes branch out to more platforms. Hopefully this increases the chances of this series getting international releases.

If anything, PC support seems like the best bet for international/non-Japanese audiences.

Don't really want to infer anything, but it could speak well for the sales of Ys on Steam.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Not really, its not like these games wont appear on Sony systems anymore. And i doubt Sony is any position or even would want to moneyhat niche title.... their are bigger markets out there, Sony has no way to stop such changes - especially when 3DS is selling like it is in Japan.

Seda

Yup, this is excellent news to hear... hopefully we'll have something positive to hear about TITS: SC soon.

obligatory

original.jpg

and I don't think that includes a lot of npc dialogue.

duckroll

I think that the quarterly report is probably accurate, but it might not imply that Falcom is moving away from their current development philosophy. The statement specifically says that they are looking to expand the Kiseki series onto more platforms in future including the 3DS, Smartphones, and PC.

But does this mean Falcom themselves will be developing and publishing such products? Probably not. There is already a deal in place for the earlier Kiseki games to hit smartphones in Japan. There was a PC release of Zero no Kiseki in China, and Falcom could well be looking to bring something similar to the Japanese market. They also have Zero no Kiseki hitting the Vita later this year. Another case of a game not published or developed by Falcom. If someone is interested in porting the games to the 3DS, and they want to license it, we know Falcom won't say no. They certainly didn't have a problem with Konami porting Ys6 to PSP and PS2 back in the day, but they didn't have anything to do with it directly.

It is important to know the context of how the company has operated, and what a statement like this means when presented in a quarterly investors' report.

Not sure what to think about this as I only recently downloaded TitS during the PSN sale and don't know if I will like it as much as everyone else does.
This news definitely sucks for Sony, though. If Gust and N1 ever get serious with Nintendo platforms Sony really doesn't have much left.

Eusis

Trails is huge in Japan
I don't think it's huge HUGE though. It's probably like MegaTen without the international base (yet?), does very well for the small company but isn't the sort of thing that's going to be pushing hardware to a significant degree or anything.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is this really a big deal, sales-wise? I honestly have no idea.

Nobody gives a shit about Trails in the Sky in the US, because all the shitty NIS RPGs over the last decade have drained anybody's interest in a game that looks slightly animu, but yeah, it's huge in Japan. I would say this is a megaton, even (as much of one as SMTIV, IMO).

Edit: But really, the point is that Sony's gotta have something on the Vita. I mean, for fuck's sake. What do they have left as a franchise exclusive to their platform over in Japan that's worth a damn?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Considering a lot of Falcom games were PC to begin with, sounds like the Kiseki series is returning home to be with the others so to speak lol.

If anything good news all around. Wonder if their budget has increased so its new teams being formed to tackle each platform?

Will be interesting to see what they bring out for the smartphones

Top Bottom