• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom reportedly expanding the Kiseki games to more platforms (3DS, Smartphones, PC)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Define "huge." The highest any game has sold is 194k. And the gap between that and the next closest is about 75k.
Sorry, *big*

The first 3 games don't have as large numbers on the PSP since they were ports of the PC version.

Aeana

I think that the quarterly report is probably accurate, but it might not imply that Falcom is moving away from their current development philosophy. The statement specifically says that they are looking to expand the Kiseki series onto more platforms in future including the 3DS, Smartphones, and PC.

But does this mean Falcom themselves will be developing and publishing such products? Probably not. There is already a deal in place for the earlier Kiseki games to hit smartphones in Japan. There was a PC release of Zero no Kiseki in China, and Falcom could well be looking to bring something similar to the Japanese market. They also have Zero no Kiseki hitting the Vita later this year. Another case of a game not published or developed by Falcom. If someone is interested in porting the games to the 3DS, and they want to license it, we know Falcom won't say no. They certainly didn't have a problem with Konami porting Ys6 to PSP and PS2 back in the day, but they didn't have anything to do with it directly.

It is important to know the context of how the company has operated, and what a statement like this means when presented in a quarterly investors' report.
I think this is the most logical line of thinking on the matter. It's unlikely that Falcom will devote significant resources to ports internally, especially since recent partnerships have turned out all right (barring the PC port of Zero).

I should point out, though, that there are no plans to port any of the games to smartphones. The deal with Aeria is for an original title.

wrowa

Is this really a big deal, sales-wise? I honestly have no idea.

Depends on. There aren't many high profile Vita games on the horizon, so a franchise that potentially sells 100k-200k units is quite important. On the 3DS on the other hand, the LoH franchise would be just one game of many.

Falcom's audience is pretty hardcore, though and is exactly the audience who is likely to own a Vita. So even if the LoH series end up on the 3DS I don't expect them to outsell the Vita games -- at least if the series doesn't suddenly becomes a mainstream hit due to whatever reason.

I am European and I hate 3ds region lock
I am completely against 3ds support.
At least on vita I can hope to play a us version, with 3ds I am fucked up

Well, TitS saw a (retail) release in Europe, so I don't think that we would be fucked. But anyway, it's unlikely that Falcom would develop a 3DS game instead of a Vita one: If anything they would develop for both platforms.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Falcom by far has some of the best music with a more "classical" JRPG epicness to it if that makes sense.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I should point out, though, that there are no plans to port any of the games to smartphones. The deal with Aeria is for an original title.
Is it specifically an original Kiseki game, or could it be a new Sorcerian or something similarly smaller?

I am European and I hate 3ds region lock
I am completely against 3ds support.
At least on vita I can hope to play a us version, with 3ds I am fucked up

Wow, jRPGeye is really angry it seems, lol
Btw, we all hope companies as Ghostlight will bring to PAL countries such games.

I don't think the 3DS news has anything to do with the west. I think it has all to do with Vita being a sales disaster in Japan and them looking to target the best viable platform in the country right now. I don't know if a 3DS LoH would make it over here either.

Worse graphics

Because that's what we really look to Falcom titles for.They're expanding to PC as well, so the only reason you could be angry here is if you get mad anytime a 3rd party exclusive leaves the system.

duckroll

I think this is the most logical line of thinking on the matter. It's unlikely that Falcom will devote significant resources to ports internally, especially since recent partnerships have turned out all right (barring the PC port of Zero).

Oh right, I totally forgot about that interview where they specified that they're developing a brand new social focused game based on Sora no Kiseki, instead of a port. Thanks for the correction.

Still, it shows that they're open to expanding the franchise through licensing partners, rather than actively seeking out to develop on multiple platforms themselves. Falcom is a small company, and if they are going multiplatform internally, that would be a much bigger news story.

Takao

Banned
I think that the quarterly report is probably accurate, but it might not imply that Falcom is moving away from their current development philosophy. The statement specifically says that they are looking to expand the Kiseki series onto more platforms in future including the 3DS, Smartphones, and PC.

If this is the case than it's not really news other than naming the platforms they're looking at further. I believe Kondo spoke about Falcom potentially exploring other platforms, and originally calling out PS3 last year, no?

There is no PSP userbase in the west. Knowing what the PSP games did in NA, I would be shocked if the Steam numbers were not better. Going back to PC would be for the benefit of the rest of the world, not Japan, obviously.

I just wondered how feasible that would be for them to do. But I see that duckroll basically answered my question, I had no idea they licensed their games to have them ported to other platforms.

themoreyouknow.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Don't be a twat.

Have you seen Falcom PSP/Vita games - not saying that they look bad, but its definitely not a situation where 3DS titles in those series would have to be downgraded visually.
Especially when this expansion also included the possibility of more PC content aka Steam releases in the west - how is this bad ?

Eusis

I'd worry more about exclusives if they're actually pushing hardware and trying to create experiences you couldn't get elsewhere, in that regard I'd be more frustrated over the likes of Monster Hunter leaving (not to mention that'd plausibly have MADE the Vita in Japan), whereas Nayuta no Kiseki seems to be about as close as Falcom gets, while their PSP games were largely a matter of practicality as the PSP got close ENOUGH to the power they needed to port most of the PC games they had made prior, whereas the DS wasn't but the 3DS is. Well, I imagine Sony was also friendlier for 3rd parties, which is also an advantage to exclusivity but only if going with other platforms requires serious compromise to what they want to make, and I think Nintendo's trying to be friendlier than before.

Alex

Steam would be ideal for me but i have all that shit so whatever gets us the goods is fine either way. This is good news, the more options we get the less things rot in Japan.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Have you seen Falcom PSP/Vita games - not saying that they look bad, but its definitely a situation where 3DS titles in those series would have to be downgraded visually.

I dont know the 3DS is pretty powerful as is. Its not like those games are actually really graphically intensive.

Have you seen Falcom PSP/Vita games - not saying that they look bad, but its definitely a situation where 3DS titles in those series would have to be downgraded visually.
Especially when this expansion also included the possibility of more PC content aka Steam releases in the west - how is this bad ?

the 3ds can handle anything and more the psp can

flowsnake

You mean definitely not, right?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I was basically just saying I could do without the sarcasm (perhaps less than politely.) I apologize - it's been one of those days.

But anyway, they haven't said anything about the PC yet. If it would include PC, clearly that's a good thing. But I primarily read the statement as "Kiseki games are coming to 3DS instead of Vita," which strikes me as a downgrade regardless of how many polygons they're throwing at the game. The 3DS screens are a lot worse, and the lower resolution isn't going to do a game any favors, either.

Aeana

I was basically just saying I could do without the sarcasm (perhaps less than politely.) I apologize - it's been one of those days.

But anyway, they haven't said anything about the PC yet. If it would include PC, clearly that's a good thing. But I primarily read the statement as "Kiseki games are coming to 3DS instead of Vita," which strikes me as a downgrade regardless of how many polygons they're throwing at the game. The 3DS screens are a lot worse, and the lower resolution isn't going to do a game any favors, either.
The news specifically mentions smartphones and PC as well as 3DS. Anoop doesn't seem to have covered it in his coverage of it for some reason, but it does.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You mean definitely not, right?

Yes - of course, i fixed it - sorry :)

Fair enough, but as duckroll and co. have already stated it doesnt seem to have great impact on their core development plans, so there upcoming titles will still be released on Vita. Once they have released them and build a base on Vita, i doubt they will just abandon the hardware.

The first three games were on PC before they were ported to PSP.
And I doubt Sony cares about this at all, honestly.

Seriously, I doubt many people were buying Vitas for this anyway. Sony has much bigger issues to deal with for Vita than Falcom.

Eusis

I liked Falcom being on PSP more because it seemed to show the PSP was more open for Japanese publishers, not because of preferring the PSP that much. Going to 3DS may indicate the same thing, so I'd be just as happy with them being there if it was good for their business. Plus at the least if Second Chapter gets put on there they can stuff it on a single cart, I'm sure.
Console/handheld-wise? :p The PSP versions were beefed up and tweaked, right?
Tweaked, maybe, but if you mean "beefed up" as in "new stuff" then sure, if nothing else I don't think there were VA clips in the original PC releases, just the later ones (and never for Oath in Felghana). But if you mean beefed up as in visually improved, hardly: Falcom was by far better at porting than Hudson was, but if you compare Trails in the Sky PSP to PC shots you'll see textures were heavily compromised, nevermind that the PC version undoubtedly ran in 60+FPS on any remotely modern computer built with maybe playing games someday in mind.

Paracelsus

For Sony. This was an exclusive series until now and thus lost another exclusive.

For everyone in Europe who loves videogames this is a potential disaster.

Imagine if they port SnK 2 to the 3DS and that's the only version to be localized, with no european version in sight. 3DS and Vita = Rock and Hard Place.

Snakeyes

Awesome news. No offense to Sony fans, but their handhelds are not exactly the best choice for a developer that wants its series to become more popular outside of Japan. Expanding on other platforms is sure to attract new fans to the franchise, which ultimately means more success for Falcom and more games for us.

Eusis

For everyone in Europe who loves videogames this is a potential disaster.

Imagine if they port SnK 2 to the 3DS and that's the only version to be localized, with no european version in sight. 3DS and Vita = Rock and Hard Place.
Yeah, this is probably the most legitimate issue I've seen. :/

Hopefully it did well for Ghostlight so they move quicker for 3DS if that's the case, or they at least get it there digitally and on Steam. See if Unchained Blades hits there I guess.

Paracelsus

Awesome news. No offense to Sony fans, but their handhelds are not exactly the best choice for a developer that wants its series to become more popular outside of Japan. Expanding on other platforms is sure to attract new fans to the franchise, which ultimately means more success for Falcom and more games for us.

People said the same about the DS and you can count the very successful DS Jrpg in the US with the fingers of one hand.

Top Bottom