• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule working on second project (Tearaway being made by 15 people)

onQ123

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-16-media-molecule-working-on-second-project

Tearaway being made by 15 people - the rest of MM working on new concept.

Media Molecule is working on a second project aside from Tearaway, the papercraft inspired Vita game that was announced at Sony's Gamescom press conference.
Tearaway has been in development for around a year, with a team of 15 within Media Molecule working on the game and with Rex Crowle and co-founder David Smith leading the project.
Media Molecule has expanded since Sony acquired the Guidford based company in 2010, with in excess of 40 people working there now. An annual director's report unearthed earlier this year revealed that the developer had spent £4.1 million on research and development, and was working on "new and often risky innovations."
"We're working on a second project right now, and that's very much in an R&D phase," confirmed Media Molecule's Mark Healy.
"The focus is Tearaway, but Media Molecule is a lot more than 15 people," added co-founder Alex Evans.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
So the rumor of another studio working on LBP3 might be true after all?

Duffyside

Banned
I don't know if it is LBP 3. I think what LBP "is" is fairly well-known at this point. I think that there are other developers who can just take the premise that is LBP and move it to the next platform, like whoever is making the Vita version, or United Front Games who are making LBP Karting and might be one of the best developers around from what I can tell.

MM is full of creative people, and I hope they're making a whole new concept like they did with the first LBP. That would be the smart move. That studio itself doesn't need to be the one making sequels. In fact they might be the worst choice for it.

V_Ben

Banned
So the rumor of another studio working on LBP3 might be true after all?

Double 11 has recently been signed for a 10 year deal, right? They're helping out with LBP Vita at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see them and SCE London make LBP 3.

Phazon

15 ?! ZOMGWTFBBQ

Speaks volume about their talent and also Vita's ease of development.

How do you think Nintendo make games for 3DS?

Intelligent Studios was making tree games at the same time (Pushmo, Fire Emblem and Paper Mario). There are 42 people working at that studio.

Duffyside

Banned
15 ?! ZOMGWTFBBQ

Speaks volume about their talent and also Vita's ease of development.

Yes, but, it could also speak volumes about the actual scope of the project.

To be fair though, LBP itself was made by a damn small team too, and that was a huge project. We'll see.

so1337

That should make the credits really pleasant to sit through.

Really though, that's incredible. A team of 15 people is making a game that's more graphically impressive and imaginative than most projects with 300 or more people on it. Take note, Ubisoft.

patsu

Yes, but, it could also speak volumes about the actual scope of the project.

To be fair though, LBP itself was made by a damn small team too, and that was a huge project. We'll see.

From the things you could do in the trailer ? Scope is more than big enough for me !

P3P doesn't use that much assets and I played it for 170+ hours.
The Tearaway trailer and demo already has more variety.

Busty

Banned
I love Media Molecule's work and I cannot wait see what else they have planned for their next IP.

I hope that Media Molecule really take it to the next level with their next title (which must be for the PS4) and make something that puts them in the same breath as Naughty Dog when people talk about Sony's big first party studios.

In saying that a LBP 'mmo' (for want of a better word) from a studio other than MM would be very welcome as well.

Duffyside

Banned
From the things you could do in the trailer ? Scope is more than big enough for me !

P3P doesn't use that much assets and I played it for 170+ hours.
The Tearaway trailer and demo already has more variety.

What things are you referring to? I seem to remember it looking like a 3d adventure game with some touch elements. I mean, it could be a three hour game for all we know...

Ravage

Little Big Universe

- new 3D engine enabling the creation of karting, shooters, and 3D action and RPG levels
- backward compatible with LBP1, LBP2 and LBP Karting content
- bundled with every PS4 sold
- majority of revenue derived from costume and level DLCs

Could work. But i believe MM is definitely working on a new IP.

patsu

What things are you referring to? I seem to remember it looking like a 3d adventure game with some touch elements. I mean, it could be a three hour game for all we know...

It may very well be, but the variety of visual elements, activities and the landscape is much more alive and vivid. Then again, P3P only has one tall, dynamic, squarish dungeon throughout my entire 170+ hour adventure.

Other than the art, I am most curious about Tearaway's controls and their cross digital-real world interactions (paper folding, back touch, blowing, scratch LP, etc.).

Sid

Made by 15 people and still looks great,though i think mm was a small team while developing lbp1 too....

Posted by gofreak in the other thread:

A little more from eurogamer. Mostly the same sentiment.

"We're working on a second project right now, and that's very much in an R&D phase," confirmed Media Molecule's Mark Healy.

"The focus is Tearaway, but Media Molecule is a lot more than 15 people," added co-founder Alex Evans.

"We call it in a holding pattern," he said on the unannounced project, "because the focus is on Tearaway. I'm not saying that from a press angle - our focus is on Tearaway and making it awesome. The other project is very much in an early stage and is a toy. You don't need to worry about it."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...second-project

Cornbread78

Good to hear they are working on another title as well. They are a very good studio and glad they are continually working on new products. Let's hope for yet another great new IP, or the rumored LBP full MMO.

They've said that they're done with LBP as a studio. If there is a PS4 LBP, I'd expect Tarsier to make it under MM's supervision.

Bring on the new games!

Which is awesome, by the way. I just went back and played through the Move pack and am starting the Muppets now, and these levels are as good or better than the original MM ones. Can't wait for Vita.

Around 40 people at MM are putting almost all of Sony's other devs to shame. Only Santa Monica and ND compare and those are huge studies IIRC.

Mario007

Honestly, Naughty Dog, SAM and Sucker Punch should also do the same. I mean if 15 people can give you something like tear away then there's no reason for the other studios not to be making games for it.

Pixel_boy

Banned
developer had spent £4.1 million on research and development, and was working on "new and often risky innovations."

That just Mm playing around I always way found it odd when site point stuff like this out

Zia

Not surprised it's 15 people.

Certainly looks that way.

It's one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen, so if it "looks" like a 15-person project then, please, every other studio, please approach development this way.

I hope that if for some reason MM is working on a LBP-related thing, it is a hub to launch with the PS4. I really dislike how fragmented the community is.

Top Bottom