• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fluidity/Hydroventure: Spin Cycle |OT| Makes Me Wet

Chopper

4SjOP.jpg

Nintendo PR said:
Take your Nintendo 3DS out for a spin with Hydroventure: Spin Cycle! Guide Eddy, the heroic Water Spirit, through 60 brain-twisting puzzles, using the motion controls of Nintendo 3DS to rotate the world and save the Rainbow Spirits!
Once upon a time, a wizard used the power of the Rainbow Spirits to breathe life into a book filled with illustrations of fantastic worlds. Unfortunately, Goop – an evil liquid made of dark magic – became jealous of this power and decided to steal it for itself by trapping the Rainbow Spirits inside the magic book. Now it's up to Eddy, a Water Spirit, to stop the evil Goop and save the Rainbow Spirits before it's too late!

Platform: 3DS (eShop download)
Release dates - EU: Now,  US: 12/27/12 
Price: £8.99 / €9.99
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Curve Studios

Screens:

PkM6v.jpg
nR9ZB.jpg

td5k5.jpg
kjnTK.jpg

Nintendo Direct Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6vk2VgNSo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Gameplay Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9z-D6WVfuU&feature=youtube_gdata_playerr

Note: Gyro controls are required for this game. There is no alternative control scheme. As a result, there is NO 3D effect, regardless of the position of your 3D slider. Some levels require you to turn the 3DS 360 degrees.

Eddy uses three states: Water, Ice and Cloud, and a variety of abilities such as "Jump" and "Explode" in order to negotiate the intricate courses and overcome puzzles and obstacles. A craftily hidden puzzle piece is hidden in each stage. Some, you'll have to come back for once you've discovered new abilities.

Opinion: Having played through the world, I am of the opinion that this is a pretty fantastic game. A huge amount of love and attention appears to have gone into every aspect, and it absolutely oozes charm and quality. The level design is absolutely genius, and there is plenty of replay value. The contentious issue will be those controls. For the first few 360 levels, before I really got to grips with things, I found myself inadvertently hitting the start or home buttons on my 3DS. That was a bit annoying. Other than that, they absolutely work perfectly. Difficulty curve is spot on too.

A game for you US guys to look forward to.

Reviews:

Metro - 8/10

It’s been a bad few months for the 3DS in terms of retail games but its eShop has really been picking up the slack. In fact it’s been pretty good right from the start, and yet this is still one of the best downloads available. In fact if it wasn’t for the minor control issues there wouldn’t be anything to be a wet blanket about at all.

In Short: Another inspired mix of Metroidvania and traditional puzzler, and certainly one of the best games on the 3DS’s eShop.

Nintendolife - 9/10

Hydroventure: Spin Cycle’s control issues can’t be ignored — there’s little doubt that the levels which require you to rotate the 3DS console through a full 360 degrees would be better suited to a tablet-style device, and these are responsible for the only genuine moments of annoyance you’ll encounter with this game. Given the near-perfect structure, constant challenge, top-notch presentation and incredible longevity (finding all those puzzle pieces and getting five-star ratings on every level are pursuits that will take months), you’ll quickly learn to live with any lingering interface complaints.

Edge - 6/10

Admittedly, there’s little here to quicken the pulse, and some of later objectives are troublingly fiddly, with sensitive motion controls and increasingly intricate level design proving uncomfortable bedfellows. But otherwise this is an unusually clever, polished and robust eShop release that offers several hours’ worth of dizzy delights.

Shion

The original Fluidity was one of the best puzzle games of this gen.

If I had a 3DS, I'd buy this day 1.

rjc571

Banned
I was watching some footage of the start of the game, and one thing that really impressed me was seeing the trees gently swaying in the background as you tilt the machine. Even though it's a minor detail, it's little touches like this that made the first game such a joy to experience. Curve Studios is a tremendously talented developer.

I was watching some footage of the start of the game, and one thing that really impressed me was seeing the trees gently swaying in the background as you tilt the machine. Even though it's a minor detail, it's little touches like this that made the first game such a joy to experience. Curve Studios is a tremendously talented developer.
I actually enjoyed Stealth Bastard too. It'd make a neat 3DS/WiiU eShop release. I believe the first few levels are free to try as well.

rjc571

Banned
I actually enjoyed Stealth Bastard too. It'd make a neat 3DS/WiiU eShop release. I believe the first few levels are free to try as well.

I've never even heard of that before. It looks great! I'll definitely pick it up eventually.

Have you ever played Explodemon? Any good?

miksar

The boss fight in the first world was great, had a little Zelda vibe to it. So far I enjoyed it much more than Fallblox to be honest.

Yuterald

I mastered/100%'ed the shit balls out of the Wii game and loved it. Totally downloading this game when it comes out! How is it compared to the original? Better, on par, worse, or just different? I hate to use this term, but I sort of have too...I loved the "metroidvania" design of the Wii game. Now that the game is broken up into stages, is the good design still there? I'm assuming the level design is more focused, tight, and compact, right? Regardless, looking forward to checking this out.

Chopper

I mastered/100%'ed the shit balls out of the Wii game and loved it. Totally downloading this game when it comes out! How is it compared to the original? Better, on par, worse, or just different? I hate to use this term, but I sort of have too...I loved the "metroidvania" design of the Wii game. Now that the game is broken up into stages, is the good design still there? I'm assuming the level design is more focused, tight, and compact, right? Regardless, looking forward to checking this out.
The design is most certainly still there. The levels are beautifully crafted so that every completion makes you feel like a genius. But even when cracked there is plenty of scope for improving your time and finding hidden stuff in each stage. This is yet to grow old.

This game is phenomenal and would recommend anyone who can to download it immediately. Certainly a contender for that "best eShop game" title that Pushmo has held for too long.

It's going to last me a long time too. So many levels, and an amazing amount of variety between them.

Yuterald

The design is most certainly still there. The levels are beautifully crafted so that every completion makes you feel like a genius. But even when cracked there is plenty of scope for improving your time and finding hidden stuff in each stage. This is yet to grow old.

This game is phenomenal and would recommend anyone who can to download it immediately. Certainly a contender for that "best eShop game" title that Pushmo has held for too long.

It's going to last me a long time too. So many levels, and an amazing amount of variety between them.

Cool! I'll pick it up when it launches in the US. My favorite eShop game is now Crimson Shroud. It's also my GOTY. =D

But yeah, eShop has been on a role these past few months. The Level 5/Guild 01 games have especially been pretty banging (ESPECIALLY Crimson Shroud!).

Was a but...'oh no...' about this game with the first few levels.
But this is looking like it could be my favourite eshop title this year. If on the pricey side.

No 3D is kind of weird and yeah it'd make a great iOS/Android game, but generally controlling the 3DS is fine. Do think they slightly changed the presentation at some point, it'd maybe work better if the menus were all in book format, e.g. holding the 3DS like the old DS book styles.

Anyway really cool so far:
Level 1-5 is where the game suddenly comes alive and your like 'woah'; its starting to make good on the promises of the trailers etc.

Lots of fun to be had with this title me thinks.

flowsnake

Probably going to pick this up at some point. This aesthetic seems a bit weird compared to the first game with the cutesy water spirit and all, but it's proibably fine.

Kazerei

Banned
The contentious issue will be those controls. For the first few 360 levels, before I really got to grips with things, I found myself inadvertently hitting the start or home buttons on my 3DS. That was a bit annoying. Other than that, they absolutely work perfectly. Difficulty curve is spot on too.

Good thing the start and home buttons on the original 3DS are so difficult to press :lol

Chopper

Okay, I guess no one else is really playing this, but I might as well warn the US crowd: The ice block controls take some getting used to. I haven't played the original, so am by no means "used" to the controls, but after bit of practise, jumping about and sticking to things, I powered through the second world. But yeah, there's a learning curve. Swinging around on ropes feels frickin awesome.

I was disappointed with the second boss:
The same as the first? Tha fuck?

Oh well. Just unlocked the cloud and rain ability. Cracking on...

Getting 5 stars in each level is going to be mental.

Chopper

Sorry to DP and bump, but I updated the OP with the first (impressive) review scores. :)

Both reviews mention the Home button issue. Do not let this put you off. It is not a mistake I've made in a long time.

Really excited about the US release, if apprehensive about the price and tilt controls. It looks too well-made to pass up, and the reviews/impressions have been great.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Totally forgot about this one. Heck, I totally forgot about the original either, and it's been on my shopping list for ages. Time to add funds to that WiiWare wallet one last time..

rjc571

Banned
Totally forgot about this one. Heck, I totally forgot about the original either, and it's been on my shopping list for ages. Time to add funds to that WiiWare wallet one last time..

D'oh, misread your post. (Sorry)

Chopper

I hear ya. Will definitely check out the original when I'm done here.

stuminus3

The gyro on the 3DS feels really awkward to me (as opposed to say an iPhone or Wiimote or that wonderful, magical Wii U controller) - not that there's anything wrong with it, just that the dual screen form factor makes it uncomfortable. Really hope I can get past that for this game, it looks awesome.

The Boat

Same here. Didn't really forget, but I just don't want to add another one to the backlog.

Chopper

Does the game includes the original as an unlock or that second trailer was an error ?
Ack! I am error, sorry. When I made the OT, gameplay footage was surprisingly scarce. I'll make an edit...

Edit: Got an Edge review in too.

nron10

Neo Member
I'm (the NWR reviewer in question) still working through it and it is getting better, but man, I really don't enjoy the 360 degree rotation levels. I also miss the exploration. Some of it is still there, but everything is so sadly linear.

Goli

I'm (the NWR reviewer in question) still working through it and it is getting better, but man, I really don't enjoy the 360 degree rotation levels. I also miss the exploration. Some of it is still there, but everything is so sadly linear.

Bah, that's what I loved most about Fluidity. Not buying this game I think, then.

GWX

I played the demo version of the original and enjoyed it very much, but ended up never buying it. I bought Spin Cycle today, played the first nine stages, and I'm enjoying it! Yes, it's linear, but the level design feels varied and solid so far, and the controls are spot-on (you just have to get used to turning the 3DS - in my case, XL - 360 degrees). Visuals are kinda muddy and low-res though, more so than other 3DS games. Maybe it's the lack of 3D - I always play 3DS games with 3D on, when available.

Madao

i got the game and it seems good so far.

spinning the 3DS is giving me flashbacks to the times when i played Warioware Twisted.

it was changed to be level-based instead of exploration like the first, but this approach is good in it's own way. more suited for the portable space. the puzzles are good so far (i'm 6 levels in)

i never finished the original because other games ate up my playtime so i'll be going back to it and it will also be helpful to compare.

I'm going to need a demo. I'm almost certain the tilt controls will be uncomfortable for me based on my experience with Cubic Ninja (but they're optional in that game). Only reason I have some interest still is because the WiiWare one was so good.

jgkspsx

I really resent the mascot. (As, probably, does the artist for Dewy's Adventure.) I understand why they did it (Fluidity Wii lacked an icon), but ugh.

I also resent the required motion controls on a portable system. Motion controls on a GBAMicro were OK. On a phone, they're reasonably OK. On a large folding two-screen system, not so OK.

Madao

I played the demo version of the original and enjoyed it very much, but ended up never buying it. I bought Spin Cycle today, played the first nine stages, and I'm enjoying it! Yes, it's linear, but the level design feels varied and solid so far, and the controls are spot-on (you just have to get used to turning the 3DS - in my case, XL - 360 degrees). Visuals are kinda muddy and low-res though, more so than other 3DS games. Maybe it's the lack of 3D - I always play 3DS games with 3D on, when available.

it looks like it is the lack of 3D. i've seen other 3DS games look similarly when i turn 3D off to show them to people (using the XL adds to the problem too)

Platy

Question to those who played :

Is this as "metroidvania" as the other one ?

Is this game different than the WiiWare version? Thinking about getting both.

3DS game is a sequel to the Wiiware version.

As sequel as "storyless" game can be

i got the game and it seems good so far.

spinning the 3DS is giving me flashbacks to the times when i played Warioware Twisted.

When I saw 360° spinning in the OP, WarioWare Twisted was my first thought. Made me decide to get this game immediately. lol

I played the demo of the Wii one and found it OK. The fact that you can rotate your whole 3DS instead of just a controller makes me think I'll like the 3DS one a lot more.

Top Bottom