• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it true that not all Samsung TVs use their own screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you buy these days Worried

Good question. I still have the screen with the dithering problem as a second screen because i need it for work :/ Was two weeks with only one screen during this ordeal.
But lesson learned here for me is that next time i don't order on the internet and don't put all my thrust in reviews. Don't know about TV's. For PC screen i probably should have went with Viewsonic or something.

DeSo

Banned
But lesson learned here for me is that next time i don't order on the internet and don't put all my thrust in reviews
Oh it doesn't matter. Fair call. I knew what I was getting into really. I knew it was a lottery and I lost. But I hope this brings more attention to people who view Neogaf. Beware of Samsung in particular.

Funny thing is, if I'd got a S-PVA panel, you wouldn't even know my name.

But I hope this brings more attention to people who view Neogaf. Beware of Samsung in particular.

This pretty much. Hope my earlier comments didn't get misunderstood. Was just trying to point something out that i learned the hard way myself. Couple years ago i would always have bought Samsung with no hesitation. My own screens and the ones we had at work always were great for the price. But now it seems the brand is on a downturn quality wise.

red731

Four years ago. Bought Samsung 40" that I still own.
I knew about panel lottery....I got the one that I didn't want. Couldn't change or return. Don't ask.

Definitely true. Afaik, the only manufacturer that only uses its own panels is LG.

Sony buy from Samsung (S-PVA, W9/W8.5 series, 1080p), Sharp (ASV-IGZO, X9 series 55/65", 4K), LG Display (IPS, W6/W8 series, 1080p) and AUO (AMVA, X9 series 84", 4K), everything else Sony make is ODM with Sony branding, so the R-series isn't actually made by Sony. The R series TVs are actually made in totality by Chimei, Seiki and Hon Hai which Sony then slap their branding and software onto for a royalty fee.

Samsung buy from Sharp, AUO and Chimei as well from their own production. The top end all uses S-PVA though. Chimei are the company who supply the 4K panels for all of those awful cheap Chinese TVs currently on sale. Seiki and all that crap. The low end Samsungs are similar to the Sony ones, they just lease their branding and software to ODMs.

Panasonic source LCD panels from LG Display (IPS) and AUO (AMVA).

All in all, you can't expect a company that makes so many TVs to produce everything in house, they just don't have the capacity and it would leave them very exposed to a downturn in the market. Sharp found this out to their detriment (almost bankruptcy) and Sony wrote off $1bn when they sold their share of S-LCD (almost exclusively makes all of the S-PVA panels currently available).

Garcia

I just learned today about this whole "panel lottery" fiasco. What the fuck, seriously? It is unbelievable how these manufacturers can get away with things like that. It should be completely illegal.

You now have to hunt for the proper version if you really want to get your money's worth.

Ridiculous.

vivftp

I just learned today about this whole "panel lottery" fiasco. What the fuck, seriously? It is unbelievable how these manufacturers can get away with things like that. It should be completely illegal.

You now have to hunt for the proper version if you really want to get your money's worth.

Ridiculous.

I think zomgs post above yours pretty much explains why things are this way. No reason why this should be illegal so long as the products are functional and meet the companies minimum QA requirements

Companies use multiple manufacturers to supply the same part in virtually every industry. Parts made in the same production facility tend to vary in quality, from defective to extremely high quality (some companies, like Intel, use the high quality parts for higher priced / speed products and average quality for their budget products). That is how capitalism creates cheap, quality goods.

UrbanRats

Yeah, i heard about this panel lottery thing a couple of years ago when buying a Sony Bravia.
It went well enough for me, fortunately (bought online).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think zomgs post above yours pretty much explains why things are this way. No reason why this should be illegal so long as the products are functional and meet the companies minimum QA requirements

The problem here is not QA per se, but performance. The Samsung Switcheroo has resulted in some of its HDTVs having terrible viewing angles, blurring and black levels. So you go and purchase a new TV because reviews are good and it looks great at your friend's house, only to discover after the fact that your set has some C tier bullshit of a LCD panel.

Congrats, now you are stuck with an overpriced, low grade TV you'll probably hate for the next few years.

vivftp

The problem here is not QA per se, but performance. The Samsung Switcheroo has resulted in some of its HDTVs having terrible viewing angles, blurring and black levels. So you go and purchase a new TV because reviews are good and it looks great at your friend's house, only to discover after the fact that your set has some C tier bullshit of a LCD panel.

Congrats, now you are stuck with an overpriced, low grade TV you'll probably hate for the next few years.

Always good to make a purchase from a retailer that accepts returns/exchanges ;)

Still, I have to wonder if you do wind up with such a set if you contact the manufacturer if they'll do something under their warranty.

The Boat

I'm going to trade my samsung tv for the second time because of uniformity issues. The first one had a lot of vertical banding, the second seemed better but it has it too as well as horizontal. I know LCDs always have this issue but I'm still hoping to find one where I can't notice it.

twofold

Just remember - the panel lottery bullshit isn't just limited to televisions.

Take Apple's Macbook range, for example. You'd think, considering the price, that you'd be getting cream of the crop hardware, but that isn't always the case. If you're lucky, your Macbook will come with a Samsung panel (which are nearly always the best), but some folks end up with inferior LG and AUO panels instead, even on the premium Retina MBP range (the Retina LG panels are notorious for having image retention issues). It's bullshit.

I had to open the box at the store to check the serial number for my samsung tv in 2009 because they were known for stuffing some crappy sharp panel in about a third of them instead of the decent VA panel
The only way to tell before using it would be a difference in the serial number, the name was the same as was the model number and the box and look of the tv.
I ordered the tv at a local pc shop so they understood why I needed to open the box before paying at least, some sales monkey at some big electronics store would have probably given me a blank stare or looked confused.

I still regret buying the laggy, blurry and noisy (yes that's right, noisy, it has 2 large fans in the back with some cheap ring bearings that got worn out within 3 years and now sound like an OG xbox 360 I kid you not :\ ) piece of shit
and that's with the 'good' panel

The cherry on top is that the mobo of the tv was shit and caused issues with hdmi in and 24p content, it skipped frames and turned black for a few frames on my ps3
A technician came to replace the mobo and said it was a very common problem with that model since it launched 6 months earlier
So just like the 360 they aren't scared of selling you shit they KNOW is broken either...

Don't buy a tv before you do your research, people, you will get burned
I also would never recommend buying a brand new model, odds of it having some serious issues that just aren't discovered yet are too big to gamble on.
Next time I buy a tv (when this one breaks, no earlier) I will buy a model that's been out for 6 months-a year so I don't get any nasty surprises

Jedi2016

Yeah, I knew about this stuff before I bought my last TV. I have an LG, and since LG owns the patent on that particular type of passive 3D display, they're the only ones that can manufacture them. My Asus computer monitor also has an LG display in it.

Jafku

It's true. Had to check mine. If it's says TS01 on the box it's a samsung screen.
EDIT: Posted the same damn thing in this thread earlier. One day i will learn to check the post dates.

fritolay

I'm surprised that people are surprised. This is a very common practice in pretty much all industries. Lots of brands just buy whatever the factory is offering, slap it in their own box and sell it as their product. Goes for everything from, like, toothpaste to clothing to electronics. Never blindly trust brands under any circumstance.

This is true. Some name brand companies don't want to manufacture anything anymore, they just want to be a marketing company. The brand name is what is valued the most, so if there is a recall they can blame it on another company and protect the brand. Example: Sorry your peanut butter was recalled we are investigating the company that manufactured it.

malyce

Cheap in as the price tag of the products. Always was. When you buy a Samsung you get a decent product for little money but don't ever think you bought the Rolls Royce of TV screens. It's more comparable to a Volkswagon (to stay with the car comparisons).
By this logic when you buy an apple product you're essentially buying a samsung product for a lot more money. You're paying aventador money for a jetta.

I own a 40" & a 47" Samsung HDTV. The both work excellent & look amazing so I can careless what panels they use. Samsung TV for life!

mr stroke

TV and monitor manufactures have been doing this for years. If you want to avoid this try and buy the most expensive TV. Generally the high end stuff is unique and not a re badge(and even then you can still get burned)

Gattsu25

Banned
By this logic when you buy an apple product you're essentially buying a samsung product for a lot more money. You're paying aventador money for a jetta.
Yes.

That is how the industries work.

You are paying for the loaded software and the branding.

modulaire

I don't have a problem with the fact that companies use panels and components from different manufacturers.

All industries work like that.

But it's not acceptable that there are drastic differences in quality. That's just bullshit.

LordCanti

I don't have a problem with the fact that companies use panels and components from different manufacturers.

All industries work like that.

But it's not acceptable that there are drastic differences in quality. That's just bullshit.

Without that dip in quality, you wouldn't be able to go out and buy a three or four hundred dollar 46-50" display (depending on the season). Not everyone can afford the $1000+ TV.

Edit: Oh TVs with the same model # with different panels? Yeah, that's bullshit.

Whelp looks like we bought a CN04 back in 2009. I have to say it performs a hell of a lot better than the Vizio we owned for two days and had to return. lol

I am frustrated that I bought the lowest level for the price I paid, I told myself "you get what you pay for" but I suppose not in this case. I have to say compared to my father-in-laws Samsung TVs, our's performs much better, but why, they are all the same year from the same retailer (errr Sam's, more of a ripoffer now ;) )?

Oh well, I put lot's of time into researching my PC parts, because you have to, I suppose I would put a lot of research into a newer vehicle, hell we have been researching another home to buy, and that has been 6 months. Too bad Samsung, I really like your sub-par TV you sold me at a higher rate than other better panels I could have paid less to own.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

There shouldn't be products sold under the same model name with varying degree of quality.

Do they sell these wildly different sets in the EU? I'd be interested in whether the customer protection of those countries would have an issue with it.

I played the display lottery with my MBP Retina. Thank God I got a Samsung screen.

I almost always get the best TV's sold, so I don't end up with this issue.

ЯAW

Banned
Is there even a TV manufacturers who use only their own panels? Sony has been using on/off LG, Samsung and Sharp panels in the past. LG does variety of panel sizes so I guess they could be one of the few who use only "in house" panels.

It's true. Had to check mine. If it's says TS01 on the box it's a samsung screen.
EDIT: Posted the same damn thing in this thread earlier. One day i will learn to check the post dates.

Is this true for every Samsung? I'm thinking of going to frys or best buy and ask them to see if they have that specific model but i want to be able to give them the right info so they'll find it faster/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom