• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN:Developers React to PlayStation 4

Globox_82

Banned
Tim Sweeney, Epic Games Founder and CEO

The PlayStation 4 is a leading-edge hardware platform, and its enormous CPU, GPU and memory resources enables Unreal Engine 4 to reach levels of visual quality and detail that go far beyond the current generation, for games of all sizes and genres.

“

Sony has defined an ideal next-generation platform.

The features and effects in our new "Elemental" demo on PlayStation 4 are just the tip of the iceberg, showing dynamic lighting and shadowing, subsurface scattering and GPU-powered particle effects at full 1080p resolution.

As the developers of the Unreal Engine, we're passionate about not only building great games, but building them efficiently. PlayStation 4 builds upon PC technology and takes it to the next level, providing a very robust and easy-to-use development environment.

As we're building games that are an order of magnitude more detailed than the current generation, Unreal Engine 4's tools combined with PlayStation 4's hardware enable developers to achieve that in a reasonable amount of time and on-budget. Our console efforts are focused on high-end, mainstream platforms that will be supported by enormous launches and large-scale support by major developers and publishers.

With PlayStation 4, Sony has defined an ideal next-generation platform with massive appeal to core gamers, and incredible potential for bringing triple-A experiences to the next level.

Ted Price, Insomniac President and CEO

Yes, the PS3 got a bad rap for being tough to develop for. I imagine that's kept some developers from making the leap -- no such excuse exists now. But having worked with Sony first party folks for many years I think what's often overlooked is how creatively supportive Sony has been for its partners over the last couple of decades. Games like Ico, Little Big Planet and Journey exist thanks in large part to Shuhei Yoshida's and others' commitment to shepherding innovation and taking creative risks. I see that continuing and that's great for gamers.

[Mark Cerny] is a thoughtful, brilliant guy and to have him leading the effort on Sony's software approach speaks volumes for how much Sony has listened to developers during this past generation.

“

Sony has listened to developers during this past generation.

There's a lot about the PlayStation 4 that is clearly an advance over the PS3. And that's cool from a dev perspective. But looking at the bigger picture, what's important to us as a developer who's created franchises for the Sony platforms is that Sony fans are excited. Reading comments online yesterday it seems to me that there are a lot of Sony loyalists who are pumped about the new console. That's great for all of us who make games on Sony platforms.

The Share button has me the most excited. It's visually the most subtle new feature but potentially the most powerful. As most gamers know, hooking up and sharing with your friends is a super-gratifying aspect of gaming today. But it can be a convoluted process depending on the game and the hardware. If it truly does become a one-button press to connect with your friends it'll be a big step forward for games.

David Goldfarb, Overkill Game Director

I guess I didn't see anything -- in terms of software -- that I was genuinely excited about. Killzone 4 looked wonderful, but I didn't get why I should want to play the game. The moment I liked there was when they moved the crowds away from the player -- I found that interesting, intriguing. But the moment my gun came out it was every other shooter, ever.

The other software I saw I felt equally ambivalent about, but there are a lot of talented developers out there and I'm sure some good stuff will come to be. The Gaikai stuff is interesting and potentially huge. The hardware seems like powerful and easier to develop for. I was hoping for more innovation in the input, but time will tell how that works out.

I think the irony for me is that "next-gen console" is mostly playing catch-up with PCs, So if they aren't innovating on other axes I think it's going to be a rough transition for everyone.

Josh Tsui, Robomodo President

Since new console introductions only come once every 5 or so years from each company, this was some pretty exciting stuff.

Personally, my eyes glaze over seeing yet another military fps blah-blah-blah or any other tired genre. We all know that we'll get certain game types. I was more excited to see what Media Molecule and Jonathan Blow were up to. It was nice to see Sony give indie gaming some time as Sony has some really great things for indie developers. If they can carve out a part of their digital download strategy for some serious indie distribution that is sane, I think that would be a surprising game-changer against other consoles.

I was really hoping for at least one "big" feature that makes me go "holy crap, never thought about that" in terms of changing the way people play games currently. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I was surprised not one single new feature really jumped out.

One pleasant thing that was implied a couple of times is that PS4 is a game machine first and foremost. Games being what leads the experience. I personally like that a lot. Doesn't mean I won't use Netflix on it, but it means that I know where I can turn for a quick game fix. I hope they keep to that promise and make sure that the UX is game-centric.

Stewart Gilray, Just Add Water CEO

“

Having 8GB of DDR5 ram is staggering.

We are incredibly proud to be working on PS4. Sony's passion and insight into connectivity and instant-access gaming is incredibly refreshing and encouraging to us as a developers. It allows us the ability to create immersive titles that truly engage the player at all opportunities.

PS4 is a dream. It's as they said: incredibly easy to develop for and extremely powerful. Having 8GB of DDR5 ram is staggering, as the speed that the data can be shifted around outstrips that 8GB. However, as a smallish indie, to us it's not about what we can do, it's about what we can do well. 1080p, 60fps, 3D is where it's at, and so far we're blown away by what we've managed to achieve with the hardware. Currently our imaginations are running away with themselves.

Jared Gerritzen, Zombie Studios Creative Studio Head

It's no secret PC gaming is and will be driving technical growth in the gaming industry, however the console "experience" is completely different and something we all can easily enjoy. With the PS4 announcement, the biggest thing I'm excited about is the evolved controller.

The addition of a touch screen can be a serious game changer, games can now expand out of the constraints of the set number of buttons and add swipes and other quick motions to add more depth in the gameplay and function of the game. I love the idea of the share button as well giving players even quicker access to show off games we all work so hard to make.

I have gotten my hands on the controller recently and I'm very happy to say the thumb sticks feel WAY better, and it was my biggest gripe about the PS3.

Ken Levine, Irrational Games Creative Director and Co-Founder
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/25/ken-levine-on-the-ps4

Follow the link for better quality
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/25/developers-react-to-playstation-4#.USvd8AnvgfQ.twitter

fvng

Amazing the quality of the output of PS3 exclusives despite its difficult to program for architecture. Sony's fostering of quality experiences combined with PS4 developer friendly architecture will make it an exciting console, in my book.

graywolf323

why do some people keep acting like the only games that exist or ever will for the PS4 are the ones they showed last week?

edit: mostly reacting to what David Goldfarb said

I have gotten my hands on the controller recently and I'm very happy to say the thumb sticks feel WAY better, and it was my biggest gripe about the PS3.
Of it all, this is one of the most exciting things about the PS4 for me so far. This could make the Playstation my main console for the first time since the PS1.

Amazing the quality of the output of PS3 exclusives despite its difficult to program for architecture. Sony's fostering of quality experiences combined with PS4 developer friendly architecture will make it an exciting console, in my book.

Uhh, weren't most exclusives from Sony though? In terms of 3rd party exclusives I can't even think of very many notable ones

fvng

Someone should inform Jared that there's no touchscreen.

He clearly meant touchpad, unless an IGN intern fucked up the transcript

Uhh, weren't most exclusives from Sony though? In terms of 3rd party exclusives I can't even think of very many notable ones

Ni No Kuni strikes me as a notable one, so does MGS4 and Valkria Chronicles. The Yakuza games. FF13 benefitted from being developed from the ground up for PS3 before a last minute 360 port was announced. By then, the PS3 version was done

The PSN exclusives are already well documented

ZoddGutts

Jared Gerritzen, Zombie Studios Creative Studio Head

It's no secret PC gaming is and will be driving technical growth in the gaming industry, however the console "experience" is completely different and something we all can easily enjoy. With the PS4 announcement, the biggest thing I'm excited about is the evolved controller.

The addition of a touch screen can be a serious game changer, games can now expand out of the constraints of the set number of buttons and add swipes and other quick motions to add more depth in the gameplay and function of the game. I love the idea of the share button as well giving players even quicker access to show off games we all work so hard to make.

Good news.

Sorry but his comment clearly thought it was a screen. Heck am still not even sure; Sony should have done more there to show it off.

Third read maybe not. If he wasn't linking it to the PC comment then no.

"But looking at the bigger picture, what's important to us as a developer who's created franchises for the Sony platforms is that Sony fans are excited. Reading comments online yesterday it seems to me that there are a lot of Sony loyalists who are pumped about the new console. That's great for all of us who make games on Sony platforms." - Ted Price.

Naah, that's not overly important. Sony loyalists were going to be pumped no matter what. What should be exciting for Sony developers is that the PS4 seems as if it's been perfectly designed to steal away (or steal back rather) the huge number of gamers they lost to Microsoft this past generation (at least in terms of their console of preference).

Globox_82

Banned
"But looking at the bigger picture, what's important to us as a developer who's created franchises for the Sony platforms is that Sony fans are excited. Reading comments online yesterday it seems to me that there are a lot of Sony loyalists who are pumped about the new console. That's great for all of us who make games on Sony platforms." - Ted Price.

Naah, that's not overly important. Sony loyalists were going to be pumped no matter what. What should be exciting for Sony developers is that the PS4 seems as if it's been perfectly designed to steal away (or steal back rather) the huge number of gamers they lost to Microsoft this past generation (at least in terms of their console of preference).

So what you are trying to say is, you want proper ratchet PS4 game?

So Ken Levine was too stunned to say anything?

check vid

At the end of the day, it's the game developers' opinions that matter most, because they bring the software to the system. It seems that these initial impressions seem a bit more positive than Wii U's.

However, like a few of them said, we've yet to see anything awesome gameplay-wise. I guess we'll just have to wait until E3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Leading-edge" is a buzz word now huh.

Any ways, kinda agree that what was the biggest game they were supposed to show ended up being the most meh. The Killzone demo was great up until we saw gameplay and it became snoozeworthy quick. Should've spent that time demoing the gameplay of Drive Club or something.

Derrick01

Banned
Developers in general seem to be incredibly impressed with it, as they should be since the system seems to be built with them in mind. I wouldn't expect someone like Cerny to fail in achieving that goal.

Now hopefully that means the support will be there. Not only no more gimped ports like on PS3, but if it's a bit stronger than 720 then I want the power to be used for different things. Slightly better running games, or some effects turned up a little more. Power's no good if it's not being utilized.

iceatcs

Hope they are honest, not two-faces. Sony need to know the true feeling from all of the developers if they want to make really good system for them.

What I love is that the developers are still kind of in shock over the 8GB ram. lol

this made me feel real good inside.

I was really wondering what the developers behind Tony Hawk Shred and Tony Hawk Ride thought of the PS4.
iX10ZFepPoxRE.jpg

I think the irony for me is that "next-gen console" is mostly playing catch-up with PCs, So if they aren't innovating on other axes I think it's going to be a rough transition for everyone.

Love that quote .

I find myself agreeing with Goldfarb the most as far as my feelings on it.

If they have finally fixed the shitty Playstation sticks though that is a very welcome improvement.

Lime

David Goldfarb, Overkill Game Director

I guess I didn't see anything -- in terms of software -- that I was genuinely excited about. Killzone 4 looked wonderful, but I didn't get why I should want to play the game. The moment I liked there was when they moved the crowds away from the player -- I found that interesting, intriguing. But the moment my gun came out it was every other shooter, ever.

The other software I saw I felt equally ambivalent about, but there are a lot of talented developers out there and I'm sure some good stuff will come to be. The Gaikai stuff is interesting and potentially huge. The hardware seems like powerful and easier to develop for. I was hoping for more innovation in the input, but time will tell how that works out.

This guy knows what's up. Except for the Gaikai stuff.

I was sitting next to Tim Sweeney at the event. He was a lot more reserved.

My opinion.. Alright.

Every time I read official non-critical comments from an executive of a company with huge interests in different parts of the industry, I know it is complete bullshit.

You don't even have to know Sweeney's position in the industry to gather from that particular quote of his that he is spewing PR material to drum up hype for technology and graphics.

Top Bottom