• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN:Developers React to PlayStation 4

CLEEK

I don't know who most of these studios are - Zombie Studios, Overkill, Just add water...??

As well as the Gravity Crash games, Just Add Water (JAW) have been making all the updates to the Oddworld games.

If you've played Stranger's Wrath on PS3 or Vita, you'll know they're top developers. The games are rock solid. They recently had an interview with Eurogamer on how they managed to achieve the great Vita port.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-oddworld-vs-playstation-vita

Seance

Banned
its enormous CPU, GPU and memory resources enables Unreal Engine 4 to reach levels of visual quality and detail that go far beyond the current generation
If that'a true, then UE4 must look a lot worse than UE3 on PS360. The tech demo at the Sony press event was just hideous.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I guess I didn't see anything -- in terms of software -- that I was genuinely excited about. Killzone 4 looked wonderful, but I didn't get why I should want to play the game. The moment I liked there was when they moved the crowds away from the player -- I found that interesting, intriguing. But the moment my gun came out it was every other shooter, ever.
I don't understand a reaction such as this from a developer. I was expecting to see impressions about the hardware and its prospects for game development, not whether he/she wanted that product as a consumer. I can turn to message boards for such a thing.

In the end, the responsibility of creating fresh and unique software "that makes me want to play the game" instead of yet another derivative, military shooter falls on developers like him. So I hope at the very least it's something him and his team are actively striving for...

David Goldfarb, Overkill Game Director
Never mind.

electro

Banned
I was reading a Forbes interview with Jack Tretton following the PS4 reveal, and he mentions that they have 18 studios - I thought SCE Worldwide Studios comprised 12 studios?

Here's the quote: ''But the distinct advantage that we have is that one out of two Sony Computer and Entertainment employees are in development. We’ve got over 2000 employees. We’ve got 18 studios around the world, and I think we could have done the event without any third parties, still showed a lot of content.''

Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2013/02/21/sony-playstation-4-jack-tretton/

velociraptor

If that'a true, then UE4 must look a lot worse than UE3 on PS360. The tech demo at the Sony press event was just hideous.

Didn't look too bad to me in motion. Textures can easily improve due to the RAM. And just look at how much UE3 improved from Gears 1 to Gears 3.

As well as the Gravity Crash games, Just Add Water (JAW) have been making all the updates to the Oddworld games.

If you've played Stranger's Wrath on PS3 or Vita, you'll know they're top developers. The games are rock solid. They recently had an interview with Eurogamer on how they managed to achieve the great Vita port.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-oddworld-vs-playstation-vita

Top Devs? HA!

For consoles they seem decent/good, I've heard good things about the PS3 ports.

For PC? NOPE. I suppose it's somewhat forgivable given that they are a small developer, but they bit off WAY more than they could chew when they came out with the Oddbox on the PC a few years back.
It was a fucked up, untested mess on nearly every computer out there, and Stranger's Wrath didn't even get fully fixed for ATI card users until over a year later when they released the HD update.

Hopefully they learned their lesson about releasing untested games on the PC. I wont ever buy one of there games day one anymore, but if people can verify they are well made after release I will support them.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you saw the rush-job downgrade of the tech demo you wouldn't call it impressive.
If watch the GT interview with Mark Rein you'll know that it wasn't the elemental demo
Its actually elemental ++ and the original demo isn't possible on most peoples hi end PC's Mark said they had to build a PC just for it
Now I know the difference in the comparison but I don't think the ++ is common for downgraded version

Lime

If watch the GT interview with Mark Rein you'll know that it wasn't the elemental demo
Its actually elemental ++
Now I know the difference in the comparison but I don't think the ++ is common for downgraded version

I have no idea what "elemental ++" means. Is it the new 8GB GDDR5?

Anyway, I'm referring to this information.

Rocky

Banned
Someone should inform Jared that there's no touchscreen.

Um, the Vita has a touch screen. So do tablets and most smart phones(Sony said remote play would work on these as well). Perhaps that means devs are planning to add optional touchscreen controls for remote play on PS4.

The PlayStation 4 is a leading-edge hardware platform, and its enormous CPU, GPU and memory resources enables Unreal Engine 4 to reach levels of visual quality and detail that go far beyond the current generation, for games of all sizes and genres.

Sounds like some kind of commercial/infomercial.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have no idea what "elemental ++" means. Is it the new 8GB GDDR5?

Anyway, I'm referring to this information.
I said I knew about that, but what I meant was for all we know the new demo is probably the version eveyone will get( even PC gamers)
Its not the first time a engine has degraded but for a good reason for the final version
Lol at the 8GB GDDR5 version, technically no it ain't because they didn't know it was 8GB, probably like GG with only 1.5gb to be fair

Odd quote for Goldfarb, isn't he the guy who was lead on the Battlefield games?

I know he tried to make a cops and robbers game like 12 years ago or something. I'm guessing that's why he left to work at Overkill. I would probably want to switch it up after a while too.

Developers who (presumably) gave their opinions on the hardware and have a vested interest in it selling well? Of course they like it, lol.

deadlast

I know he tried to make a cops and robbers game like 12 years ago or something. I'm guessing that's why he left to work at Overkill. I would probably want to switch it up after a while too.
Wow, your avatar describes what you have written

image.php

Concept17

Developers who (presumably) gave their opinions on the hardware and have a vested interest in it selling well? Of course they like it, lol.

I think its nice to hear more specifically why they like it. And so far everything sounds great.

So many people around here love to downplay absolutely everything.

Mileena

Banned
Uhh, weren't most exclusives from Sony though? In terms of 3rd party exclusives I can't even think of very many notable ones

Demon's Souls was made by a third party, and it's arguably the best game of the generation. I think it's pretty notable ^_^

So the unreal demo was running at 1080p?

Impressive.

IMO. but he did not mention the most important part of the UE4 demo.. the SVO lighting.

It is probably not in for ps4 (or cosnoles for that matter) and may actually be out totally (whuich would be a huge disappointment for PC gamers really)

i-Lo

After all opinions have been accounted for, I would say it looks quite positive at the moment especially when it comes developing for the platform instead of critiquing the games that were shown. While KZSF demo did show off quite a lot of what's to come next gen, perhaps another playable game would have added variety. Then again, E3 will be here soon. Sony's game changer lies with GAIKAI and the features that are being promised. I really hope that they can pull it off.

It's not on his favourite platform. His comments are generally headache inducing (I added him to IL)

Don't get why developers when asked their impressions about the system, they talk about how the games shown bore them. Surely it should be whether the hardware excites them or not.

The whole first half of the presentation was dedicated to evangelizing how Sony has designed the console to be a developer's dream. To go on to mention that in their opinion that Killzone is meh, is rather missing the point.

Sony's dedication to independent developers is what makes me excited for any of their platforms.

Might beat selling the premise of your game on Greenlight...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DICE = Sweden

Guerilla = Holland

Not the same "general area"

I just meant that they're big, European, FPS devs that push tech. I've heard DICE talk a lot of shit about Guerrilla and KZ before.

I also made that post when I was at several days of very little sleep and thought they were both in Sweden for some dumb reason. :lol

spwolf

Don't get why developers when asked their impressions about the system, they talk about how the games shown bore them. Surely it should be whether the hardware excites them or not.

The whole first half of the presentation was dedicated to evangelizing how Sony has designed the console to be a developer's dream. To go on to mention that in their opinion that Killzone is meh, is rather missing the point.

i dont get it either. all right, so fps's are lame... you are dev, make something better.

but otherwise, powerful, easy to use gaming console is great for all kinds of devs.. it lets them focus on gameplay instead of the technical details.

if i remember correctly, flow had issues with framerate... something like that wont happen with PS4.

soo, can that Samaritan demo run on the PS4 ?

The actual demo? maybe, maybe not. It was some kind of bastardized version of UE3 that they just threw everything at to make a cool demo, It would probably be easier for them to just make a new UE4 demo thats similar than try and get that working well on any system.

why do some people keep acting like the only games that exist or ever will for the PS4 are the ones they showed last week?

edit: mostly reacting to what David Goldfarb said

The humor out of some of those comments...

"But the moment my gun came out it was every other shooter, ever" - David Goldfarb, Overkill Game Director. Overkills latest game? Payday: The Heist.

"Personally, my eyes glaze over seeing yet another military fps blah-blah-blah or any other tired genre." - Josh Tsui, Robomodo President. Robomondo has 3 Tony Hawk titles under their belt.

Just found some of that a bit humorous.

I understand being tired by shooters but tone is everything for me. I don't mind another sci fi shooter, I refuse to play another WW2 shooter and I will be extremely hesitant before jumping in on another present day military shooter.

Concept17

The humor out of some of those comments...

"But the moment my gun came out it was every other shooter, ever" - David Goldfarb, Overkill Game Director. Overkills latest game? Payday: The Heist.

"Personally, my eyes glaze over seeing yet another military fps blah-blah-blah or any other tired genre." - Josh Tsui, Robomodo President. Robomondo has 3 Tony Hawk titles under their belt.

Just found some of that a bit humorous.

I understand being tired by shooters but tone is everything for me. I don't mind another sci fi shooter, I refuse to play another WW2 shooter and I will be extremely hesitant before jumping in on another present day military shooter.

Payday had an interesting concept that quickly turns into a horribly boring ordeal with some of the most repetitious gunplay I've ever encountered.

Really no need to comment on Tony Hawk.

Top Devs? HA!

For consoles they seem decent/good, I've heard good things about the PS3 ports.

For PC? NOPE. I suppose it's somewhat forgivable given that they are a small developer, but they bit off WAY more than they could chew when they came out with the Oddbox on the PC a few years back.
It was a fucked up, untested mess on nearly every computer out there, and Stranger's Wrath didn't even get fully fixed for ATI card users until over a year later when they released the HD update.

Hopefully they learned their lesson about releasing untested games on the PC. I wont ever buy one of there games day one anymore, but if people can verify they are well made after release I will support them.

We did learn our lesson, and whilst it's fair to say it was broken for ATI users, that was a driver related issue, that caused us to re-write the renderer to work on ATI.

Anyway, that's by the by, the HD release of Stranger's Wrath on PC is how we work on PC NOW! yes we screwed up in 2010, but I hope we've redeemed ourselves since.

Stewart

Top Bottom