• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: all our games will have micro-transactions

nickcv

http://www.oxm.co.uk/50616/ea-all-our-games-will-have-micro-transactions/

pay to close if old

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level," Jorgensen declared, "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

The publisher is so wed to the model that it'll handle micro-transaction systems internally from now on, under the guidance of chief technology officer Rajat Taneja. "If you're doing microtransactions and you're processing credit cards for every one of those microtransactions you'll get eaten alive. And so Rajat's team has built an amazing backend to manage that and manage that much more profitably. We've outsourced a lot of that stuff historically; we're bringing that all in-house now."

Don't care because I won't use them.

I need to make a game called, "Whale Fishing" where you think you're the one fishing but really it's the developer.

Omikaru

When they are $10 they are not micro you twats.

They are micro when the games are $70.

Fuck EA. Easiest way to not encourage this is for people to vote with their wallets. Easier said than done, mind, but I've been EA free since Mass Effect 2.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
From that quote from their CTO, I expect that "EAPoints" or something is incoming.

You have to be kidding me. Expect DLC * 1000 next generation especially from more popular companies. I rarely buy it, so oh well....

Xater

I think Sterling sums it up quite nicely:

jimsterlingjimsterlin94pvd.png

Spookie

Well if people continue to use them, they will continue to do it. Remember when you use to get the full game for 30 pounds? Man those were the times.

Axspell

Neo Member
As long as you can still obtain everything in a regular fashion (read: not F2P elongated "if you don't pay, have fun spending your entire life unlocking this stuff" drivel) then I really don't see why this is a bad thing. It generates more money for the industry and provides players short on time and with an expendable income a way to gain streamline their gaming.

I must say though, some of you who will instantly take a black and white stance on this and boycott the company completely are amazing. Never change.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well damn EA, I thought I had to do some heavy rationalizations for not buying your games next-gen but you're almost making this too easy for me.

DaBoss

Welp, that's that. If they don't do BS microtransactions, then OK, I'm fine with that, but I don't see that happening since it's EA.

industrian

Well if people continue to use them, they will continue to do it.

It's a sad fucking world we live in.

But I guess we'll soon have our gaming "journalists" hopping along here soon enough to defend EA and to attack us for being overprivileged or whatever.

Axspell

Neo Member
By the way, you could buy power and items in Tales of Vesperia. Are people boycotting Namco Bandai now? The hypocrisy is astounding.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I never thought I'd say this, but I don't want Mirror's Edge 2 anymore. Not like this.

SunSunich

interesting. Is this the reason why MS signed deal with EA? :) IMO, blocking used games and microtransations falling in same category.

SteveWD40

My EA Boycott (since Origin) continues it seems.

Rape old IP's, refuse to give consumers choice and essentially try and turn us all into ATM's, I am sure that will work out in the long run...

DaBoss

could you please give me an example of no BS microtransaction?

Some things are only obtainable through microtransactions. I don't mind the whole "Pay to unlock" stuff since you would be able to unlock the stuff through game progress.

EDIT: Oh misread that, a non-BS one would be to pay to unlock for a non-multiplayer game or just decorations. As long as you can unlock the stuff through game progress, I can totally ignore it.

industrian

By the way, you could buy power in Tales of Vesperia. Are people boycotting Namco Bandai now? The hypocrisy is astounding.

It's an eyesore when small fish like Namco-Bandai does it.

It's a problem with a Great White like EA does it.

Simply because if a large publisher shows a modicum of success with it everyone will follow.

Top Bottom