• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog says the preview/interview for Last of US from M!Games is not accurate

duckroll

Update:

uQE7wnm.png

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/312868107435769856

As Neil's tweets say, we don't know what's actually said in the magazine, but the vast majority of what's been translated and posted here, if not all of it, is wildly inaccurate.

We'll try to get a copy of the mag ourselves, shouldn't be too difficult and re-evaluate.

---------

Okay, we had a really stupid hyperbolic thread which mixed information and caused a lot of confusion of the last time. The actual preview on the German mag seems legit, so now we can have a new thread without the bullshit. If anyone here keeps in contact with Neil Druckmann on Twitter or anything, maybe they could shoot him a message asking if he still has any issues with this information. It would certainly help clear a lot of things up.

Here is the actual information provided right from the source of two Gaffers who have the magazine (thanks guys):

hundiv3kk1.png

- you can even use a sharp pencil as a weapon

- at one time in the development process of tlou there was a command interface for ellie but was kicked after testing it. naughty dog doesn't want it to be a tactical shooter and it also would be inappropriate to command ellie because of her character... a kid who has her own mind, a potty mouth and doesn't always listen bravely. it would kill this character if a command interface would be integrated.

- joel has his own hit detection. if you get shot in the left arm, he would hold his injured arm with his right hand and also loose constantly blood. you definitely have to treat the wound immediately because of the constantly loss of health and the screen would turn red.

in order to stop losing health, you have to get the bullet out of the wound, disinfect it with alcohol or antiseptic and bind the wound. all by holding the r1 button one by one.

the process to get the bullet out of the wound is not presented realistically, it would be too bloody and brutal.

- if you get shot in the right arm (joel is right-hander) you have of course make sure to treat the wound like described above with the left arm. but after that, you can't just take out your shotgun immediately and shoot like nothing has happened before. you arm still hurts so if you aim with a heavy weapon like the shotgun or an assault rifle, your crosshair moves all over the place. you don't have 100% control over the aiming.

to shoot respectably with an injured right arm, you have to switch to a smaller gun like the pistol.

- same procedure if you get shot in the leg. he would lean immediately against a wall to treat the wound.

but now you hobble and can't run fast anymore for minutes, also when hit with a pole against the leg.

- no health kit around you can also use toilet paper and rubber band to bind the wound.

- they described a wide linear scene in the magazine.
you could help a npc in front of a police station and as a gift he would tell you to visit the top floor to get the guns from the chamber and he also would warn you about the infected in the top floor. it's up to you to risk this chance for the guns.

- you can use the environment for special treatments with human enemies. for example: punch an enemy near a wall, joel would ram him into the wall. fight near a table or dresser, you can smash his had on it.[/B]

Interview with Neil Druckmann

"Weapons don't belong into public hands"

M! meets with Creative Director Neil Druckmann in Los Angeles, gets an explanation why patching up is an important gameplay element, debates about pros and cons of a coop mode and asks about the responsibility in times of school massacres, where the victims are mostly children.

M!Games: In "The Last of Us" we have to patch ourselves up. We disinfect and dress wounds. Last time we did that was in "Metal Gear Solid 3". Was that your inspiration?

I remember pretty clearly how Bruce and I played a certain shooter. Bruce said: Isn't it totally bananas that I have to constantly ram shots of adrenaline into my leg and after that can fight with full force? Epinephrine is indeed used by Special Forces, increases blood pressure and makes larger reserves of energy available to the body. Thus you don't notice the pain anymore, but bleeding isn't stopped. You have to actually retrieve the bullet, disinfect and dress the wound for that. And you do exactly that in "The Last of Us". But still, we certainly had "MGS" somewhere in our mind (laughs).

M!Games: The injury system is also pretty interesting. If we play poorly, you want to penalize us, right?

That's not really the point. We do want the players to get to know all gameplay systems and to avoid groups of opponents. We reward tacticians, but when you still try to fight them, it should feel authentic. It's time that we make real progress in the gaming industry. I mean how does it makes sense that your character with almost no energy fights as effectively as with full energy? You should feel what your character goes through, after all. If your leg is limping or your arm is shaking, because Joel's dominant arm was hit, you will put more thought about your attacks next time. We wanted the players to identify with Joel, to make them blend in, that was the overall goal.

M!Games: The enemies are fighting for their lifes far more intense than in "Uncharted" for example. Do you plan keeping this system for your next projects?

"The Last of Us" is a very special game, which provides and needs very special features. I think "Uncharted" isn't suitable for showing brutal close combat, where skulls are shattered by bricks. We thought with our actors about what would normal people do when being attacked. The bandits are mostly civilians, who joined a certain group to survive. They're no soldiers, no trained killers. When you blast away the head of one of their colleagues, then they escape and will wait or search for combat support to eventually start another attack. They're scared. They're no less scared than Joel and Ellie.

M!Games: Tess saved our life twice in the preview. Was that all scripted?

There are scenes in the game that are scripted. Our engine permanently scans the whole area and our AI knows where the player is and where to place the NPCs to help him. Ellie supports the player with ammunition because she always seeks for more rounds. Your followers know what you do. If you get into cover waiting for the right moment, they won't mess up your stealth attack and also get into cover. If you don't have any ammunition left or need to reload, maybe Ellie will throw a brick at the enemy's head and neutralize him for you. But this happens sporadically, there's no guarantee that Ellie or Tess will save your skin!
This whole magic works because of the area scanning. We want to keep the immersion constantly high, thus no weapons or ammunition HUDs are shown until you participate in a battle. You can throw an enemy or ram him into an obstacle - the engine chooses the animation for that, based on their positions. That's why battles don't get boring. One might grab a bandit and slam his head on the edge of a table. Another one might kiss the back of a chair.

M!Games: Wouldn't Tess be a perfect fit for a coop character? We're aware of the fact that you really want to focus on the relationship between Joel and Ellie, but Tess just begs the question.

Sony gave us the luxury to experiment with a lot of things. Originally there was even a command interface making it possible to order Ellie around. But we didn't want to make a tactical shooter. Ellie has her own, often stubborn mind. It wouldn't fit her as a character been ordered around. Tess plays a major role, but above all stands the relationship between Joel and Ellie. They both have to spend a lot of time together without the involvement of a third person. I also think that coop wouldn't work in the game because it fairly limits the possibilities of a game. We would get the classic scenario: "Hey, there is a door! Climb up there and open it up!" That would be far too easy, Ellie helps the player once in a while, but the solution always has to be found by the player himself.

M!Games: Recently the US again suffered from a school massacre. A major New Yorker newspaper criticized your game because of Ellie's role. You became a father yourself latetly, what do you think about the whole matter?

There are two sides to that. As a father of a two months old daughter this debate is really bugging me. This violence has to stop, weapons don't belong in the public.
On the other side I see the art. We can't always hide from those matters. If a movie like "True Grit" has a girl in, it handling a revolver, why can't we do the same? There are many games and movies focusing on violence alone - because that's what sells. But in our case it's an important part of the story, the whole world and as we talked about it, the gameplay. Reducing that brutality, would take away a lot of fright of that particular version of the US. If we'd make Ellie older, the whole story wouldn't work. We see "The Last of Us" as an artistic project - and art should sometimes be defended against opposition.

Tagg9

Interesting. As you say, some of this still conflicts with Neil Druckmann's apparent denial of a dynamic damage system.

Corto

Really cool if the injury stuff turns out true.

Wonder why Druckmann did deny it though.

Maybe he meant to address the input lag suggestion and not his own interview to this magazine and quoted TSA article without having read it, thinking it mentioned the input lag comment.

softie

Thanks duckroll for this new thread.

Just one small modification proposal:

- you can use the environment for special treatments with human enemies. for example: punch an enemy near a wall, joel would ram him into the wall. fight near a table or dresser, you can smash his had on it. fight near a door, you could shut the door on his face. like in sleeping dogs but of course in a realistic manner.[/B]

Only the bold text is actually present in the article. Doesn't mean the rest is false information, just that there is no description of "slam a door in a bad guys face". :)

The rest is acurate.

Maybe he meant to address the input lag suggestion and not his own interview to this magazine and quoted TSA article without having read it, thinking it mentioned the input lag comment.

Secretarial Dog said:
Neil Druckmann linked the article from thesixthaxis in which they only covered 2 informations from my source. The one with the heavy input lag where Druckmann said is BS, in which I anyway described it as a subjective opinion and not as a fact and the one with blind-fire in which he said nothing particular about.

So by saying "this info is fake" he degraded the integrity of the magazine. A magazine which exists since over 20 years and never distributed any false informations. It's popular in Germany and also is distributed and published by a major press. This is definitely not a no-name magazine.

I'm not saying that ND is covering stuff up, but lying about covering the game in detail from the magazine is very unlikely to me.

Just one small modification proposal:

Only the bold text is actually present in the article. Doesn't mean the rest is false information, just that there is no description of "slam a door in a bad guys face". :)

The rest is acurate.

True. Got something mixed up. Thanks.

Also, thank you duckroll for the enthusiasm.

That's not really the point. We do want the players to get to know all gameplay systems and to avoid groups of opponents. We reward tacticians, but when you still try to fight them, it should feel authentic. It's time that we make real progress in the gaming industry. I mean how does it makes sense that your character with almost no energy fights as effectively as with full energy? You should feel what your character goes through, after all. If your leg is limping or your arm is shaking, because Joel's dominant arm was hit, you will put more thought about your attacks next time. We wanted the players to identify with Joel, to make them blend in, that was the overall goal.

I really like this. It's certainly risky since you're going to start playing with player control, but at least it seems like they're going to do it in a way that makes sense. At least on paper it makes more sense than the way games with regenerating health handle low player health.

Lol. I'm not enthusiastic, I just don't want people posting bullshit!

You know what I mean. You could also just close the thread immediately after the call out from Druckmann, but instead you contacted me to give me a chance to prove one half of all informations I publicized. So, thanks for this thread.

Neil Druckman wouldn't deny or degrade his own interview. It seems to me that he just wanted to address swiftly the input lag comment as it could be highly toxic.

That he would address the input lag info twice as fake immediately is very unlikely to me. Since he quoted the complete article from thesixthaxis at first.

Sn4ke_911 said:

arne

You know what I mean. You could also just close the thread immediately after the call out from Druckmann, but instead you contacted me to give me a chance to prove one half of all informations I publicized. So, thanks for this thread.

That he would address the input lag info twice as fake immediately is very unlikely to me. Since he quoted the complete article from thesixthaxis at first.

As Neil's tweets say, we don't know what's actually said in the magazine, but the vast majority of what's been translated and posted here, if not all of it, is wildly inaccurate.

We'll try to get a copy of the mag ourselves, shouldn't be too difficult and re-evaluate.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I asked arne if this info is true. This is what he said:

Scanning the quoted part that ISN'T the interview with Neil, there's a lot of radically incorrect shit in there, as Neil mentioned in his tweet. I don't know where some of this stuff came from other than poetic license. I would take 99% of the info supposedly from the magazine (the translated part) with a massive grain of salt - in fact, only one line is true. :)

Plus what's quoted above - even to me the interview questions mostly don't sound like Neil.

Would be good to try to secure a copy of the magazine ourselves.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50390628&postcount=136

sappyday

All of it sounds really good and not that far fetched with what they're trying to convey. If a lot of isn't true then I'll be somewhat disappointed.

duckroll

Thank you very much. I think everyone would want to know what is going on as well, since this is an actual media preview of the game which is out there. If they made it up, that would be rather.... disturbing.

Saty

Oh, not at all. I'm just pointing how easy it is to think of mechanics like these that instantly make the game more appealing and having more depth, and then how sad that nothing of the like is in the actual game or never did the thought cross their mind to put stuff like them in it.

Yes, yes. TLOU isn't a survival game etc. Bottom line is i would have liked more to play the game falsely described in the magazine than what it's actually is.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Can't wait to see people bashing the game because it doesn't include stuff someone made up.
There are things here in the preview that sounds fantastic. So missing out on some of them sucks.

Also is this what happens when a publication doesn't just re-words the PR statements they get from publishers?

nofi

Hey, that's me...

On a serious note, this has taken an odd turn south. I don't know what's real and what's not (and what's not meant to be real or not, yet, perhaps?) but this all sounds very odd.

I wish Druckmann would list what's right and what's wrong. More than happy to offer a portal for him to clear the air.

Hey, that's me...

On a serious note, this has taken an odd turn south. I don't know what's real and what's not (and what's not meant to be real or not, yet, perhaps?) but this all sounds very odd.

I wish Druckmann would list what's right and what's wrong. More than happy to offer a portal for him to clear the air.

You were the interviewer?

Corto

Taking a guess, it was the journalist that faked the whole thing and the magazine doesn't even imagine what's happening. What the hell.

nofi

Incredibly bad april fools joke? It's about the right timeframe for print publications... :(

Almost certainly not.

The mag claims to have attended the recent LA press events, no? That would line it up with everyone else's previews, give or take for printing etc.

I've no doubt the magazine spoke to ND.

Didn't see this.

Oh. Well, that's weird.

Milchjon

That's weird. M!Games is the oldest console magazine in Germany, and has always been quite good and respectable. They never seemed like the kind of outlet to make shit up.

Haven't read them in a while, but when I did they were my favorites by far.

Top Bottom