• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon's Crown trailer

I do wonder... Will this game still be great even if I play single player all throughout?

It probably just depends on how much you enjoy beat 'em up gameplay. It has RPG elements, and you do go to a town for items and such. But at its heart it's going to be about fighting constantly.

duckroll

I wonder who's scoring the game.
The music on the main site and in both the image and promotional trailers is amazing.

Sakimoto. He's probably not the only composer though, since previous Vanillaware games have all been scored by his cronies at Basiscape as well. He usually does the main themes and a bunch of tracks, leaving the rest to his other composers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well, I did enjoy Castle Crashers on single player so I'd be ok with single player.

I hope the platinum is easy. I haven't been trophy hunting for a few months now.

Reveirg

Sakimoto. He's probably not the only composer though, since previous Vanillaware games have all been scored by his cronies at Basiscape as well. He usually does the main themes and a bunch of tracks, leaving the rest to his other composers.

Where has it been confirmed that Basiscape is handling the soundtrack?

(It's pretty apparent that they are from the sampled music, but I'm just curious as to whether it has been confirmed or not.)

I can't wait to play another game with them composing the music. Crimson Shroud's soundtrack was great.

In related news, Muramasa Rebirth is out on Vita this week in Japan.

Any news on NA release date?

Gotcha.

Edit:
Oh, derp.
It's right there on the introduction page on the main site.

thumb

Banned
This is clearly a gorgeous game, but the non-elf female playable characters are straight-up shameful and embarrassing. It's almost like they're trying to fund a new Anna Sarkeesian video.

God damn it Vanillaware. Who designed these characters? Why? Their absurd proportions look calculated to titillate rather than communicate anything in-fiction about the world. This really frustrates me. Don't make me embarrassed to play your games.

Ugh. That witch design is terrible and just really gross.

The art is good, but it is Vanilla ware so there's little chance it will play well.

Then again, Atlus is assisting so..
That witch design is the best thing to happen in character design since Tifa Lockhart.

Edit: Damn, the idle animations are awesome. So much detail on the Fighter's armor especially.

SOME-MIST

It's only been an excruciating 2 year wait.. But at least I still have time to get through another princess crown run

Still want to buy the PS3 version, but I have to say that I'm less hyped than I was when the game was first revealed, just from the look of the action. Need to see normal gameplay footage that isn't just cut into a trailer to regain the hype.

This is clearly a gorgeous game, but the non-elf female playable characters are straight-up shameful and embarrassing. It's almost like they're trying to fund a new Anna Sarkeesian video.

God damn it Vanillaware. Who designed these characters? Why? Their absurd proportions look calculated to titillate rather than communicate anything in-fiction about the world. This really frustrates me. Don't make me embarrassed to play your games.

Vanillaware has always had characters with exaggerated proportions.

Not sure why you're noticing this just now.

E-DuB

I was just thinking about this game, and thinking to myself that I need to buy this game. I will buy this game when it launches here.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

God damn it Vanillaware. Who designed these characters? Why? Their absurd proportions look calculated to titillate rather than communicate anything in-fiction about the world. This really frustrates me. Don't make me embarrassed to play your games. .

Shit those Amazon Thighs and Sorceress Boobies sold me Double Time

Fuck I'll buy the art book too, to keep Vanillaware in business

Crazy thing is it will be my first experience playing their games

They did something right to trigger in me to go:

"TAKE ALL MY MONEY!, ALL OF IT!"

0ggnTY8.gif

thumb

Banned
So it only offends you when it's a protagonist?

First, a character that is the focus of player attention throughout the whole game is a bigger deal than an NPC who has little screen time.

Second, I am not "only" offended at protagonists. But I am more concerned. (I would use "embarrassed" more than "offended", however.)

ironcreed

Banned

But this guy likes it:

oOm.gif

So, you should as well. Currently doing that dance as we speak.

kinggroin

Banned

What's wrong with titillation?

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't think there's anything wrong with titillation. They just exaggerate the proportions so much that it starts to look like they took Frazetta and deformed it for people who like weird fetish manga (the kind they don't even let on the "normal" 4chan hentai board)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Complains about proportions are ridiculous, i guess people is too used to "realistic" dudebro games.
PS:
don't you want people looking at you playing this game? Play it on vita ;)

thumb

Banned
What's wrong with titillation?

Let me turn that around: What's right with titillation? When do you think it serves the interest of the game or media in question and when do you feel it is extraneous or a distraction? If the answer to the second question is "never," I doubt we can have a productive conversation.

GraveRobberX

Let me turn that around: What's right with titillation? When do you think it serves the interest of the game or media in question and when do you feel it is extraneous or a distraction? If the answer to the second question is "never," I doubt we can have a productive conversation.

I swear to god if this is the mindset of videogame journalism when this hits our shores and this game gets called for it or they try to get it edited

I will Rage so, so hard

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You're probably right. My feeling the Vannilla sprite are less detailled is cause they have that "big thick brush" aspect. Anyway we'll probably see amazing things in 2D next gen!

And even in 3D. When you think about it, the original Shinkiro style is now totally doable really faithfully in 3D.

I was surprised when I saw how "Big brush" Ogura's coloring looked up close; his addition of black linework for the outlines certain details really meshes very well, and makes the images look very sharp. There's nothing to draw that kind of visual-trickery contras in Kamitani's, but that might even work better for a crazy beat'em-up, as it helps things look kind of raw and vicious; and if it's all TOO sharp, we might hear many of the complains that people levy aganist Skullgirls, with too much of the action blending together.

I'd truly love to see people work modern 3D in more artistic ways; it's the one thing I really love about Capcom's 3D fighters (and even other 3D work like MonHun), they really try to capture 2D dynamics within their modeling and animation, to varying degrees.

Oh, and just off hand, even though vector animation isn't my fav, I have to give it to Vanilaware for the details they DO get in there; Watching just this trailer, and noticing little details such as how the fire before the wizard actually gleams in his eyes, is pretty nice.

Who designed these characters? Why? Their absurd proportions look calculated to titillate rather than communicate anything in-fiction about the world. This really frustrates me. Don't make me embarrassed to play your games.

The Amazon has nice huge hips, sure, but she's also a very obviously muscular woman, which makes one think more about a body-builder, rather than a super model. In context of the full game, I find the Sorceress much more ridiculous, because everything about her seem to be about the breast; it's a focal point of bascally all her animations.

And it communicates loads about the "in-fiction" about the world; none of the non-amazing charactrs seen in that trailer are as exaggerated as ANY of the main characters, males included. The status look like "normal" people; the Skeletons look normal, the non-combatants all look pretty normal; it's only Player Characters and Impressive enemies that look exaggerated.

This is a defining idea of Beat'em Ups; your characters generally are always more dynamic and crazy than noraml background characters, or even the "cannon fodder" enemies. Wheither it is by art style, animation, proportions, or coloration, this is a standard feature of the genre. The bosses are then a step beyond THAT, to make them imposing.

And at least, generally speaking, these are exaggerated adult characters. At least we're not looking at a group of obviously under-aged girls fighting in sailor outfits, where every animation ends with some sexually-themed camera angle, and clothing is purposely destroyed in suggestive ways on the female cast. And there's also nothing incredibly sexual going on in the gameplay, or even cinematics, from what we've seen so far. It all seems to begin and end at the initial designs, and it actually seems much more evenly dispersed than it could be.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Their absurd proportions look calculated to titillate rather than communicate anything in-fiction about the world.
...Really?

I could name you tens of Japanese franchises full of generic, amateurish pap cynically churned out to sell dakimakura. And I'd probably agree with you if Kamitani had made every female character a Sorceress clone. But that didn't happen, and that should be a clue to you that Kamitani wasn't just designing characters as masturbation fodder.

How does, say, the Amazon NOT tell you anything about the world of this game? She is a perfect exaggeration of a female bodybuilder. All muscle, almost 0% fat. Compare this to other games coming out of Japan. How many of them even acknowledge muscle tone in women, even women who are supposed to be physically strong—much less put in a bodybuilder and NOT have it be a joke about how "LOL ugly" she is?

Is it intended to be "sexy" as well as exaggerated? Arguably. But titillation is not inherently evil, and this approach is so far away from artless copypaste garbage like Senran Kagura and Caladrius that I'm actually kind of flabbergasted you would conflate them.

RE5 Chris says hell-fuck me-o!

Also do we know the difference between the Wizard and Sorceress besides Tits McGee?

I think the Wizard has stuff like AOE abilities while the Sorceress has things like polymorph and making potions or something like that.

They did mention something about their capabilities in a past article but I can't remember which one it is at the moment.

GraveRobberX

So Sorceress is Red Mage RDM?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Still Amazon first, Tits McGee for second play

Top Bottom