• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autism - Welcome to the Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlast

Let me first say the that this thread is about a journey, my family's journey with my son who appears to be on the Autistic Spectrum. He has not been officially diagnosed, as it takes forever to get an appointment for screening. He will be turning 3 at the end of June.

Nothing Physical...
My son was born about 5 days earlier than his expected due date and has never shown any signs of physical issues other than being in the low percentiles for high and weight. No worries there he is just a little guy.

If I would have saw the signs, they would have opened my eyes...
First sign that something wasn't quite right. He doesn't process pain like a normal person. He never cried during his immunizations or other shots. Usually babies freak out when someone stabs them with a needle. I was a dummy. I thought I had a little bad ass on my hands.

Second sign, he never smiled at us. We would smile and play peek-a-boo, nothing. We would tickle him and he would laugh and smile. But he would never return a smile. In fact, he would always have a grimace (grumpy look) on his face. Kids should never just be sitting there looking pissed off. They should return smiles and be able to process emotions. To this day my son does not process emotions like other kids his age and young. And he does not return smiles.

Third sign, he doesn't respond to his name. I'm pretty sure he knows his name. But when you call his name he won't look at you no matter how many times you say his name. However, sometimes he will spontaneously look at you after the first time you say his name. We were fools. We thought he was just off in his own little world, even after the Doctor confirmed there was nothing wrong with his hearing.

Fourth sign, he doesn't look me in the eyes when he responds to me. This is another issue that we ignored, because he would look us in the eyes all other times. We chalked it up to shyness.

Fifth sign, he plays in parallel. This is a tricky one. My son will not engage other kids in play. He will, however, sit next to other kids and play by himself. The only kids he will play with are his brothers. But he will never engage in pretend play with them.

Sixth sign, he doesn't show affection like other children. This is a weird one. My son doesn't give kisses. He allows you to kiss him, if you ask for a kiss. But he only allows kisses sometimes.

I have a whole list that goes on and on. But I'm not going to post all of them.

The Journey Begins...
Just before my son turned 2 we had him evaluated by the State's Infants and Toddlers (InT) program, because he exhibited abnormal social behaviors compared to his older brother and other neighborhood kids his age. InT came out and said he was just a little behind on his social skills, but his communication skills were very low for his age. So the State put him on their speech program. Which was one of the best things that could have happened for him.

We also put him in a 2yr old preschool program. While in the program we would get reports from the school that he was doing fine. Then during the Parent Teacher conference, the teach wrote up a report that made it sound like our kid was autistic and that he should repeat the 2yr old program. We immediately flung ourselves in a state of denial. How could this be right we asked ourselves. Our child does not act like this at home or with the Speech therapist. Even the Speech therapist baulked at the report from the school. Not long after receiving that report we signed him up for the 3yr old program, after my wife and the director agree that he could move forward. However, 2 weeks ago we were told that my son could not move to the 3yr old class the following year and that the 2 yr old class was full. Effectively he was kicked out of Preschool, for the following year.

Now what? Well we started taking the assessment a little more seriously. We started monitoring our child's behavior more closely. With 3 boys (under the age of 5) running around the house that is extremely hard. We started noticing things that didn't seem typical. We started doing some reading and noticed that a lot of his quirky behavior were signs of autism. So my wife and I started talking to people who had autistic kids about how to find out more about it. There are several checklist online, tons of books, and websites that have loads of information.

Doctor, Doctor....
OK, so we did an abundance of self diagnoses. But does that count, some what. We had to find out if our son is on the spectrum or not. Or does he have something completely different. Well the insurance agency was no help when I called them. The first they told me was find someone who could help me. So we contacted 2 facilities that perform the autism tests and both of them told us we wouldn't be seen till late summer or the fall. Also, neither one is in our local area. This wouldn't have been an issue, but the state was stopping Speech for my son because he is not considered to be extremely delayed anymore.

Lucky for us my wife found a person that is opening a private practice that specializes in pediatric development, locally. Our first appointment is on April 15th. This will most likely not be covered by insurance, but I don't care. This is the most important step. If we know the issue is, we can get our son the help he needs.

I will post more info later and hopefully have some videos to share. I hope this will help others.

Kenka

First sign that something wasn't quite right. He doesn't process pain like a normal person. He never cried during his immunizations or other shots. Usually babies freak out when someone stabs them with a needle. I was a dummy. I thought I had a little bad ass on my hands.

Second sign, he never smiled at us. We would smile and play peek-a-boo, nothing. We would tickle him and he would laugh and smile. But he would never return a smile. In fact, he would always have a grimace (grumpy look) on his face. Kids should never just be sitting there looking pissed off. They should return smiles and be able to process emotions. To this day my son does not process emotions like other kids his age and young. And he does not return smiles.

Third sign, he doesn't respond to his name. I'm pretty sure he knows his name. But when you call his name he won't look at you no matter how many times you say his name. However, sometimes he will spontaneously look at you after the first time you say his name. We were fools. We thought he was just off in his own little world, even after the Doctor confirmed there was nothing wrong with his hearing.

Fourth sign, he doesn't look me in the eyes when he responds to me. This is another issue that we ignored, because he would look us in the eyes all other times. We chalked it up to shyness.

Fifth sign, he plays in parallel. This is a tricky one. My son will not engage other kids in play. He will, however, sit next to other kids and play by himself. The only kids he will play with are his brothers. But he will never engage in pretend play with them.

Sixth sign, he doesn't show affection like other children. This is a weird one. My son doesn't give kisses. He allows you to kiss him, if you ask for a kiss. But he only allows kisses sometimes.

Lucky for us my wife found a person that is opening a private practice that specializes in pediatric development, locally. Our first appointment is on April 15th. This will most likely not be covered by insurance, but I don't care. This is the most important step. If we know the issue is, we can get our son the help he needs.

I will post more info later and hopefully have some videos to share. I hope this will help others.
Bold quote aside, you sound like a very caring parent. I wish you all good. Too bad I don't know enough about autism to make any link between your observations and what is accepted in this field.

MechDX

My oldest son also was diagnosed in the spectrum. It can be challenging at times but you just learn to be patient and get the proper help and he will turn out great. Getting the diagnosis is a long process but once they verify it that will point you in the right direction. I feel we were blessed with the benefit of being in Houston and having direct access to Texas Children's Hospital. His pediatrician and TCH put us with some great therapists who worked with him for about 5 years a couple times a week.

My son was really fascinated at a young age by Thomas the Train. I did some internet research and found a paper written by a doctor in England that showed that autistic children were drawn to Thomas because of the over exaggerated facial expressions and it can really help to teach them how to properly show emotions.

http://www.myfavoritetoys.com/autism_thomas.html

He is 9 now and while he is a year behind in school for his age he is basically a typical 9 year old who has his good days and bad days. He likes structure in his daily routines, very artistic and is fascinated by Lego's and Transformers. He figures them out quicker than I did when I was that young.

Matt_C

As an Autistic Self sufficient adult, I was like your son growing up. I saw little personal value in group play, responding to my name, and touching as signs of affection.

Your son loves you and be there for him. Never question his tears and anger, maybe it is his way of him being wronged by someone.

Avoid ABA therapies unless you and/or your spouse is around him. Having a parent ensures a loving relationship with family.

Learn to accept him for who he is, and never let him feel inadequate compared to other people.

Read about the Autism Rights Movement on what your son can aspire to be.

Love him and he does know it.

Flo_Evans

That is really rough man, my brother in law has an autistic child and I would not wish it on anyone. He went through the exact same stages of denial and ignoring it, which it seems like you are passed thank good, because from what I know the earlier you start helping the child the better the outcome.

He is six now with no real communication. Will not respond to his name, spins constantly in a circle.

I only know a small slice of what it is like, I see him on holidays and have babysat him a few times. I cannot even imagine caring for severely autistic child full time. Good luck man.

jmdajr

My oldest son also was diagnosed in the spectrum. It can be challenging at times but you just learn to be patient and get the proper help and he will turn out great. Getting the diagnosis is a long process but once they verify it that will point you in the right direction. I feel we were blessed with the benefit of being in Houston and having direct access to Texas Children's Hospital. His pediatrician and TCH put us with some great therapists who worked with him for about 5 years a couple times a week.

My son was really fascinated at a young age by Thomas the Train. I did some internet research and found a paper written by a doctor in England that showed that autistic children were drawn to Thomas because of the over exaggerated facial expressions and it can really help to teach them how to properly show emotions.

He is 9 now and while he is a year behind in school for his age he is basically a typical 9 year old who has his good days and bad days. He likes structure in his daily routines, very artistic and is fascinated by Lego's and Transformers. He figures them out quicker than I did when I was that young.

Wow man, I had no idea. That whole life thing sure throws challenges at you. It just Matt Schaubs you sometimes.

Ecrofirt

My oldest son also was diagnosed in the spectrum. It can be challenging at times but you just learn to be patient and get the proper help and he will turn out great. Getting the diagnosis is a long process but once they verify it that will point you in the right direction. I feel we were blessed with the benefit of being in Houston and having direct access to Texas Children's Hospital.

Very interesting! My son is on the spectrum and at 3 years old he loves Thomas much moreso than anything else we show him.

MechDX

Very interesting! My son is on the spectrum and at 3 years old he loves Thomas much moreso than anything else we show him.

http://www.myfavoritetoys.com/autism_thomas.html

I added the link later but it really is cool how the show can help autistic children. Helped my son show his emotions more openly which helped with the therapy later on.

Wow man, I had no idea. That whole life thing sure throws challenges at you. It just Matt Schaubs you sometimes.

Good days, bad days and Schaub days. Seriously I have a pretty good life. Two great kids, awesome wife, nice home and a HEMI!

deadlast

My son loves The Incredibles. He has loads of Mr. Incredible figures and tons of Incredibles underwear. Which none of that stuff is easy to find.

linkboy

I like the Matt Schaub thing, that's funny.

As for me, my son turned two in December and he's really behind on his speech (I just got back from Afghanistan and was gone for 7 1/2 months). My wife and I are going to get him started in speech therapy since he gets really frustrated and throws some violent temper-tantrums since he can't say what he wants to say. He hasn't been placed on the Spectrum yet (and I really hope he isn't, but we're prepared just incase he is).

Christopher's favorite TV show is Jack and the Neverland Pirates. He calls it his "Yo-Yo" show.

CrankyJay

Banned
Let me first say the that this thread is about a journey, my family's journey with my son who appears to be on the Autistic Spectrum. He has not been officially diagnosed, as it takes forever to get an appointment for screening. He will be turning 3 at the end of June.

Nothing Physical...
My son was born about 5 days earlier than his expected due date and has never shown any signs of physical issues other than being in the low percentiles for high and weight. No worries there he is just a little guy.

If I would have saw the signs, they would have opened my eyes...

I have a whole list that goes on and on. But I'm not going to post all of them.

The Journey Begins...
Just before my son turned 2 we had him evaluated by the State's Infants and Toddlers (InT) program, because he exhibited abnormal social behaviors compared to his older brother and other neighborhood kids his age. InT came out and said he was just a little behind on his social skills, but his communication skills were very low for his age. So the State put him on their speech program. Which was one of the best things that could have happened for him.

We also put him in a 2yr old preschool program. While in the program we would get reports from the school that he was doing fine. Then during the Parent Teacher conference, the teach wrote up a report that made it sound like our kid was autistic and that he should repeat the 2yr old program. We immediately flung ourselves in a state of denial. How could this be right we asked ourselves. Our child does not act like this at home or with the Speech therapist. Even the Speech therapist baulked at the report from the school. Not long after receiving that report we signed him up for the 3yr old program, after my wife and the director agree that he could move forward. However, 2 weeks ago we were told that my son could not move to the 3yr old class the following year and that the 2 yr old class was full. Effectively he was kicked out of Preschool, for the following year.

Now what? Well we started taking the assessment a little more seriously. We started monitoring our child's behavior more closely. With 3 boys (under the age of 5) running around the house that is extremely hard. We started noticing things that didn't seem typical. We started doing some reading and noticed that a lot of his quirky behavior were signs of autism. So my wife and I started talking to people who had autistic kids about how to find out more about it. There are several checklist online, tons of books, and websites that have loads of information.

Doctor, Doctor....
OK, so we did an abundance of self diagnoses. But does that count, some what. We had to find out if our son is on the spectrum or not. Or does he have something completely different. Well the insurance agency was no help when I called them. The first they told me was find someone who could help me. So we contacted 2 facilities that perform the autism tests and both of them told us we wouldn't be seen till late summer or the fall. Also, neither one is in our local area. This wouldn't have been an issue, but the state was stopping Speech for my son because he is not considered to be extremely delayed anymore.

Reading this freaked me out a second...my daughter has been through 2 rounds of shots and it took like 10 seconds for her to scream, but then would calm down after 20 seconds as soon as I picked her up.

Are you saying he didn't respond at all?

deadlast

As an Autistic Self sufficient adult, I was like your son growing up. I saw little personal value in group play, responding to my name, and touching as signs of affection.

Your son loves you and be there for him. Never question his tears and anger, maybe it is his way of him being wronged by someone.

Avoid ABA therapies unless you and/or your spouse is around him. Having a parent ensures a loving relationship with family.

Learn to accept him for who he is, and never let him feel inadequate compared to other people.

Thanks man I appreciate that info and the insight. I have no clue what he is thinking sometimes. I don't get frustrated with him, but sometimes I frustrate him. Last night I turned off a show he was watching and he had a 30+ minute meltdown. I tried to redirect his attention, but it was too late. I had unleashed the rage. I was going to turn on the TV for him but my wife told me not to. She told me that I shouldn't give into his tantrums. Eventually he stopped when I had his dinner in front of him and I gave him milk.

deadlast

Reading this freaked me out a second...my daughter has been through 2 rounds of shots and it took like 10 seconds for her to scream, but then would calm down after 20 seconds as soon as I picked her up.

Are you saying he didn't respond at all?
He didn't cry at all. He was just sitting there with a "so what, is that all you got look on his face."

Downhome

It sounds like you are on the right track and have a very good idea of what is going on.

Where I work, my boss has a very low functioning autistic daughter. She has the same symptoms, but way more extreme. She screams, yells, grunts and makes various other sounds, or cries out over any little thing, positive or negative. I have nothing but the utmost respect for any parent that is dealing with this, no matter which end of the spectrum the child falls on. It takes an even more special parent to be able to deal with it - a lot of them can't, and that is a sad case for all involved.

Give Louis Theroux's "True Love: Autism" a watch sometime. I would link it, but can not find a proper video of it right now.

Krakatoa

First off great post Deadlast. I wish you and your family all the best.

I recently took into care an Autistic girl. We agreed to take her in while they found her a permanent place for her needs. During her stay I can say I have never felt such emotion. It truly was an eye opener and it gave me insight in Autism that no book ever could.

Some things I learned that Rebecca liked.(may help you)

Rebecca loved dens, so we purchased her a play tent and some of those tunnels. She would spend hours playing in the tent and tunnels.
She also loved to stack things in line. It did not matter what the objects where but they had to be inline.
She loved my dog (only one of them though). I actually think she communicated more with him than us.
Oh and for some reason she hated toys!! unless it was blocks.

My wife and I will be keeping an eye on this thread and will be excited to read about your son’s progress.

Altazor

My little brother (turning 18 this year!) has autism. I think he's between low and medium-functioning autism and... wow, what a journey it has been. Sadly, things lately have gotten a bit rough because my hometown and where my parents currently live, has practically no place for my brother to go for education/therapy. He was in what we call "special school" for a couple of years until my mother decided to remove him because they wanted to drastically change his schedule, group him with older kids who weren't in the autism spectrum in a class that was in charge of a non-qualified teacher and things like that.

When he was little he was in a special center for autisic children and he learned A LOT. I think that was the place that helped him the most. Sadly, that center was (mostly) self-funded so my mom and all the other parents that had their children there had to do an incredible amount of activities to get the necessary funding for the center to go on. Then it kinda imploded thanks to a non-qualified teacher that got the job and rose quickly through the ranks (because she was friends with the director) and became a sort of de-facto director (with a huge salary, I might add, more than the other teachers). So my mom, with deep regret, decided she had enough and left. Then, for a couple of years after that, my mom hired a private teacher for my brother, and that seemed to work for a while... until that teacher decided to pursue other interests and my mom and her had a bit of a falling out (not much, really, it wasn't really acrimonious).

Anyway, words falter me to describe how I feel about this. I love my brother... hell, I think I love him more than I love myself. But I can't deny that raising him has been the most difficult thing my parents have probably done in their lives. I've seen the sacrifices they have made (especially my mom), I've seen how it has taken its toll on both of them (and me). It has been a lot. He has been the source of immense joy but also of frustration. He can brighten up our days yet depress us hours, or even days later. He can be the sweetest boy in the whole world and then a moment later, he can turn into a ferocious beast - and my poor mom has to bear the marks of his aggression. It's kind of a mixed bag. He's a complicated person... but aren't we all? We have all learned to cope with it. We love him for what he is.

And now I've been thinking about his future. As I said before, he really has NO options in my hometown for therapies and education, so I would want to have my mom and my brother to move here (Santiago, Chile) because there are more centers and schools available - but that opens a different can of worms, and the problems that can come out of it are different and they don't belong in this thread. Suffice it to say, my parents haven't agreed yet what to do and I'm getting more and more nervous considering time stops for no one. I want him to do well, I want him to grow as much as he can... and right now, he can't. As for me, as I am still only a student, there's not much I can do. But if there is anything I can do for my brother, if there's anything I can do for him to get a chance to develop, and learn, and grow, and be well... then I will do it. No questions asked - I will do it.

addik

I am not entirely sure, but my mom said that when I was young, the doctor told me I could be Autistic. It was never an official diagnosis, but the doctor apparently told my parents the possibility was huge. I did not speak until I was three, I was a very sickly child who didn't speak at all, and that worried my parents. They were about to send me to a special school, but the doctor apparently suggested not to. She told my parents to send me to a normal pre-school instead, and see if I adjust well. Now, I am self-sufficient (for a college student), and is very sociable with a lot of friends.

I don't feel like I have Autism, but it freaks me out that I could have had it all along but never knew about it. I sometimes feel that I just want to shut off from people, and that I find myself react slowly/inappropriately to things which kind of scare me. It could just be me and not actual Autism, but it always freaks me out. Also, it freaks me out knowing that if I was sent to a special school, I could have grown up thinking I had Autism, but actually not.

So yeah, I do feel people when they tell me stories about them being Autistic or someone they love being Autistic. All I could say is that treat them as normally as possible and with patience. My mom always complained that I wasn't an easy kid to raise up, and that I did a lot of shit that scared her, but she always did have my back and raised me up just like any other kid--with discipline yet with care. It's difficult to tread that line, and I can definitely feel that sometimes, she treats me as if I am incapable, but just trust your son and love him. Let him know the do's and don'ts in life and let him feel loved and cared for.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
First off great post Deadlast. I wish you and your family all the best.

I recently took into care an Autistic girl. We agreed to take her in while they found her a permanent place for her needs. During her stay I can say I have never felt such emotion. It truly was an eye opener and it gave me insight in Autism that no book ever could.

Some things I learned that Rebecca liked.(may help you)

Rebecca loved dens, so we purchased her a play tent and some of those tunnels. She would spend hours playing in the tent and tunnels.
She also loved to stack things in line. It did not matter what the objects where but they had to be inline.
She loved my dog (only one of them though). I actually think she communicated more with him than us.
Oh and for some reason she hated toys!! unless it was blocks.

My wife and I will be keeping an eye on this thread and will be excited to read about your son’s progress.

Appearently this behavior is associated with autism in particular.

Autistic-sweetiepie-boy-with-ducksinarow.jpg

Autism-stacking-cans_2nd_edit.jpg

aett

My two-year-old son was diagnosed as being mildly autistic a couple of months ago, just after his second birthday. Since then we've taken him to a few evaluations but we still haven't been able to start taking him to any classes or anything like that yet because our insurance is being really slow about it. A couple of the appointments have been with a local regional center, but they can't do anything further unless our insurance denies our son treatment for any reason.

The evaluations have shown us that our son is at the 9-12 month level in many aspects such as speech and behavior. He only just started saying his first word a few weeks ago and has started saying a few more since then. The speech-language pathologist we saw said that one possibility is that many kids with speech problems tend to act at the age level they speak at, which would explain the rest of his behaviors. My wife is adamant that he is at least mildly autistic, though (but she's a worrywart).

He rarely reacts to his name and avoids eye contact unless he's actively playing with us, but it's easy to make him laugh. He's been making quick progress since he started saying a few words, so maybe he'll be able to catch up eventually. I really have no idea until we can actually get him some real help. We're just waiting until another insurance appointment in April.

Viewt

I actually work for a company that creates behavior and learning tools for kids with autism. If you'd like, I'd be happy to share some of the links to stuff (I don't want to promote anything job-related without being solicited). We actually just released an app a while back that specializes in improving communication skills.

This is still a very new industry for me (I've worked in software development for a while, but working within the subset of autism and special needs is brand new), but one of the biggest things I've taken away from it thus far is how hungry parents are for knowledge and the latest tools. It really warms my heart knowing how many fucking awesome parents there are out there like you who are doing everything and anything they can to give their kids a leg up.

Matt_C

Thanks man I appreciate that info and the insight. I have no clue what he is thinking sometimes. I don't get frustrated with him, but sometimes I frustrate him. Last night I turned off a show he was watching and hre had a 30+ minute meltdown. I tried to redirect his attention, but it was too late. I had unleashed the rage. I was going to turn on the TV for him but my wife told me not to. She told me that I shouldn't give into his tantrums. Eventually he stopped when I had his dinner in front of him and I gave him milk.

I guess he did not understood why you stopped the show. Did you PVR it, on video, or is it a broadcast. Maybe his anger is the only way he can communicate and I think that he thought he was under attack. In there future, explaination and offer him the choice. The missus could of been more gentle about it.

To this day, I chemically feel bullied when an authority figure orders me if I cannot comprehend the importance of such a request. I guess that is a side effect of the ABA therapy since I was talked down upon from my 'therapists' and early childhood educators. In the future encourage positive reinforcement (as in offering signs of encouragement) versus negative since a person can take so much discapline before going in 'self preservation' mode.

Stay in there and be warm.

SeanR1221

I have to disagree strongly with the bolded. We usually need to work 1:1 with the kids to avoid other behavior issues (such as getting a parents attention).

From your other posts it sounds like you had bad therapists which is a shame.

OP, what state do you live in? Some are better than others when it comes to therapy.

Disclaimer: I'm a school psychologist in the public school system. I currently work at the high school level, but I've worked with families and children in Early Childhood Education (ECE) preschool programs in the past.

I've seen a few of you mention not being able to find programs for your kids based on insurance, location, etc. Birth to Three programs should be available for your kids free of charge, and before their third birthday your local school district should be doing a childfind evaluation to make sure they're ready to start (if they qualify) ECE on their third birthday.

Ecrofirt

I actually work for a company that creates behavior and learning tools for kids with autism. If you'd like, I'd be happy to share some of the links to stuff (I don't want to promote anything job-related without being solicited). We actually just released an app a while back that specializes in improving communication skills.

This is still a very new industry for me (I've worked in software development for a while, but working within the subset of autism and special needs is brand new), but one of the biggest things I've taken away from it thus far is how hungry parents are for knowledge and the latest tools. It really warms my heart knowing how many fucking awesome parents there are out there like you who are doing everything and anything they can to give their kids a leg up.

Please, post away.

Bombadil

Banned
OP's relationship with his son seems like an incredibly frustrating experience.

Even though I'm educated in these matters, the indifferent side of me would probably just dismiss a person with autism as simply being a bad, hopeless individual.

Pimpbaa

My nephew did the same thing growing up, stacking large Lego blocks until they came tumbling down. Didn't realize what it meant until later.

I don't think this is a autistic exclusive behavior though. Kids love trying to stack things as high as possible until falls. If people didn't like doing that, we wouldn't have games like Jenga.

wondermega

Amazing book about Temple Grandin, and it gives a very unique insight into what it is like for one individual to grow up autistic and "disconnected from the 'normal people'" and still become a very productive and valuable member of society. I am sure parents with autistic kids already have a laundry-list of suggested reading but this should absolutely be up there.

Just a couple of quick things to add from my experiences working with adults with special needs, including but not limited to autism.

Firstly the spectrum is incredibly broad and can affect people in ways that run from severely limiting to barely noticeable. Actually I think we're all somewhere on that line. Working (living etc) with autistic people, apart from being potentially very hard, can be really eye-opening in regard to your own psychological functioning. If you're open to wondering about yourself sometimes, you can clearly see some of your arbitrary, biogical and conditioned responses to the world. And this in turn can really help develop your relationship and understanding of the autistic people in your life.

Secondly, I recently received training that suggested the entire manifestation of autism is summed up by hyper-sensitivity and hypo-sensitivity to sensory experience (ie, over and under sensitivity). And in each individual it can manifest either way, to some but not necessarily all senses. For example someone with autism could be really unresponsive to touch, and therefore slam and bang things, not seem to get hurt, over-exert themselves etc. Or they could be completely over-sensitive to touch, hate physical contact, and try to limit or exclude all sensations of touch. So it's like having the volume turned too high or too low on your various senses. Apply the same to sound, vision, taste etc ...

I definitely don't have the experience to assert that this is necessarily the case, or, as I was told, that this is basically all that makes autism what it is. But it certainly was fascinating and revelatory for me to learn, and made me re-think my relationships with the two guys I live with, and their respective behaviours. When you think about it there's so many different ways for your place on the autistic spectrum to manifest itself, and it makes the world you live in so totally different to the one 'we' supposedly share.

That's the kind of question it raises - I mean we're all kind of locked into a particular way of looking at the world, and certain other people and their behaviours just make no sense to us at all (think political wings). But really that's just the result of the completely different worlds we live in. Really having an intimate access to that understanding (beyond what comes across from films, TV, this post, etc) is one of the extra gifts that autistic people can bring.

I like the Matt Schaub thing, that's funny.

As for me, my son turned two in December and he's really behind on his speech (I just got back from Afghanistan and was gone for 7 1/2 months). My wife and I are going to get him started in speech therapy since he gets really frustrated and throws some violent temper-tantrums since he can't say what he wants to say. He hasn't been placed on the Spectrum yet (and I really hope he isn't, but we're prepared just incase he is).

Christopher's favorite TV show is Jack and the Neverland Pirates. He calls it his "Yo-Yo" show.

Have you got his hearing checked?

deadlast

I'm gonna need that App. My son has needs help with his communications. anything I can do to level up his communication skills, I will do.

deadlast

Disclaimer: I'm a school psychologist in the public school system. I currently work at the high school level, but I've worked with families and children in Early Childhood Education (ECE) preschool programs in the past.

I've seen a few of you mention not being able to find programs for your kids based on insurance, location, etc. Birth to Three programs should be available for your kids free of charge, and before their third birthday your local school district should be doing a childfind evaluation to make sure they're ready to start (if they qualify) ECE on their third birthday.

This one of the reasons were are trying to get him diagnoses ASAP. We want him in as many programs as possible, so he can get all of the help he needs. We have also been working on not using language that he might misunderstand, like sarcasm, and making sure we don't get frustrated with him.

The evaluations have shown us that our son is at the 9-12 month level in many aspects such as speech and behavior. He only just started saying his first word a few weeks ago and has started saying a few more since then. The speech-language pathologist we saw said that one possibility is that many kids with speech problems tend to act at the age level they speak at, which would explain the rest of his behaviors. My wife is adamant that he is at least mildly autistic, though (but she's a worrywart).

He rarely reacts to his name and avoids eye contact unless he's actively playing with us, but it's easy to make him laugh. He's been making quick progress since he started saying a few words, so maybe he'll be able to catch up eventually. I really have no idea until we can actually get him some real help. We're just waiting until another insurance appointment in April.
I've been told by multiple people that speech therapy helps tremendously. I have even seen it help my son.

Oh wow, that explains so much. That was me as a kid (along with some of the other points you listed). I had no idea that was linked to autism.

Sadsic

i have a cousin with tourettes. seems like such a nervous way of life

i have schizoid personality disorder myself, its kind of similar i guess

SeanR1221

This one of the reasons were are trying to get him diagnoses ASAP. We want him in as many programs as possible, so he can get all of the help he needs. We have also been working on not using language that he might misunderstand, like sarcasm, and making sure we don't get frustrated with him.

I've been told by multiple people that speech therapy helps tremendously. I have even seen it help my son.

Yes the holy trinity is speech, ot, and ABA. I've also had kids get oral motor and PT.

Teaching social skills will become incredibly important once he gets older.

Flambe

Http://a4cwsn.com

This is a great resource for various apps to assist with challenges these kids have. From visual schedules to timers to social story telling to object identification there are great apps for various deficits you are trying to address =)

Even though I'm educated in these matters, the indifferent side of me would probably just dismiss a person with autism as simply being a bad, hopeless individual.

A lot of people do.

@ OP: I don't have any authority on the subject, but I've seen from relatives what it's like to care for (or rather, not care for) children with autism, manic depressive disorder and the like.

What Matt_C said about making your kid realize they're different from others and not inferior is important. Few things worse than making a kid think they're broken from an early age. You sound like you're willing to do what's needed and it's considerate of you to put this story out there in the hopes of helping others.

cryptic

High functioning autistic here.
What worked for me was being in an inner city school where the environment forced a necessary adaption to meet the behavioral norms. Were I to not develop abilities to understand what another was thinking, to make friends, I would have been bullied through all my years past high school.
Fortunately for me I figured out things quickly after years of quiet spent analyzing my environment, which were full of social exclusion aside from a select few I gravitated towards.
I developed friends, through knowing what other people think, based on stereotypes I figured out, and the openness allowed in an environment minimized of an imposing PC ruleset, allowing me to speak more freely.
Me being uninhibited, and very critical, line to line, as most autistic people are, allowed me to appeal to the people I needed to in order to develop rep, popularity, and ultimately defense. No one will read this.
Having developed that ability at a young age to read people out of necessity, I feel I have a leg up on most other like me who learn through coercion. Had I been forced to make friends, I never would have, I and others like me, don't do well being told what to like. It's best to foster what we develop interests in, if I had known that from the beginning I wouldn't be entirely lost today in my now recognized inopportune state forced to try to compete with everyone else.

Ceej

High functioning here too. Was diagnosed at 3 OT/PT/Speech + Vitamins was my magic combo. I still have physical symptoms (cannot sleep without taking melatonin -not knowing this almost ruined my high school career, but now it's how I get through college), shit problems, etc. (Nobody talks about the physical symptoms)

I was pretty moderate when diagnosed, didn't talk until I was 3, couldn't learn basic skills like zipping my jacket, tying my shoes, knowing left from right until I was ~10. Huge temper problem 10-17. I'm still easily frustrated and new situations and mingling with people in large social situations (or talking with peers) is terrifying.

...but I'm a TA in my college's chemistry lab, and people are shocked when I do tell them my story so something went right.

Mabef

Banned
As someone who knows barely anything about autism but grew up with a low functioning family friend around, all of this is super interesting. One of my old high school friends started up a book club for adults with autism, she really loves it.

I was pretty moderate when diagnosed, didn't talk until I was 3, couldn't learn basic skills like zipping my jacket, tying my shoes, knowing left from right until I was ~10...
Did you see the "mundane skills" thread? At 10 yrs you were a prodigy.

No one will read this.
Oi.

deadlast

No one will read this.
I read it. It sounds like you developed and used analytical skills at a very young age. That's pretty awesome.

@Ceej - What vitamins were you taking? Also my son mostly speaks in jargon. He has some words that he uses to communicate whole thoughts, but only his mother and I understand what he is trying to communicate.

My son loves physical play. So last night we setup the bounce house.
My wife has become obsessed with monitoring and analyzing my son's behavior. She's like Jane Goodall with an iPad. This has actually been pretty good since she has been engaging our son in different actives and recording his responses. I think she might end up pursuing a career in OT.

DiscoJer

I was diagnosed as being autistic when I was very young, but then it turned out I was actually hard of hearing. Not completely deaf, mind you, but enough so I couldn't really understand what people were saying, which meant it took me a while longer to learn how to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom