• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown impressions and screens

characterselectionjpgm1x8j.jpg

1hcx1h.jpg

2qyx45.jpg

36pl1k.jpg

When you begin the tale – which is meant to be replayed and re-experienced, mind you – you’re greeted with one of the most clever character-select screens you’ll probably ever see. Seated at a circular table in a bustling medieval tavern are our six characters, clearly familiar with one another and feasting on some good food and ale as they figure out their next move. They’re all chasing the same goal, hence the cooperative nature of the game that allows up to four adventurers to play at one time.

Once you select your hero, you’re met with a wonderfully voice-acted intro, and you can then move out into the town itself, one ripped out of the likes of Zelda II and Faxanadu, but with staggeringly gorgeous graphics replacing the 8-bit look those games took advantage of. You can speak with the townsfolk, though most won’t have much to say at the outset, and you can even mess with them, punching a basket of apples out of a merchant’s hands or some jugs of water out of a townsperson’s grasp. Naturally, there’s much to see in the town, not only in terms of locales to visit – shops, guilds and the like – but in terms of gorgeous vistas in the background and other aesthetical sights to behold.

When you decide to undertake a quest, you can head out to the world map, another drop-dead beautiful piece of scenery to navigate. Stages can be revisited (in fact, they should be revisited often, but more on that later), though there is a sort of linear progression through the narrative, accompanied, of course, by optional quests. However, if you’re starting the game with a new character you’re unfamiliar with, you’ll be treated to an extremely thorough tutorial that will familiarize you with the moveset and skills of the class in question. These can be skipped, but you’d be wise not to: Dragon’s Crown is no leisurely walk through the park.

Dragon’s Crown plays much like the many videos that have been released suggest: with a heavy emphasis on action, and a field of depth, too, requiring tactics beyond merely button-mashing, jumping, and the like. In fact, Dragon’s Crown is pretty tough, especially if you’re trying to hone a high score or simply get through a stage quickly to net some fresh loot. Without using a hodgepodge of techniques and weapons, the AI will make quick work of you. Making matters more complicated is the fact that enemies scale with you – much like the Lunar RPGs from the ‘90s – so no amount of grinding will make the game inherently easier for you to deal with. Bad guys will have more health as you get stronger, and will grow in number the more powerful you get, too. With each level ending with a powerful (and beautifully-drawn) boss, this very fact will give you pause the further you get into the game.

While I experimented with virtually every class – the Fighter uses brute force and the Sorceress relies on spells and the ability to replenish her own lost MP -- I spent a majority of my time on both PS3 and Vita with the Elf, a character with moderate melee strength and exceptional skill with a bow. The thing about the Elf, however, is that you have to be careful with how you use her bow, as her quill only holds a finite amount of arrows. With no guarantees that you’ll find ammo replenishment on your journey, the best way to use her is with quick kicks, juggling your foes mercilessly before following-up with aerial arrow strikes to lay the killing blow. If you run out of arrows, you’ll be out of luck to launch missiles from afar, so balance is truly the key with the Elf. With only melee strikes to guide her and supplement her specialty, you’ll quickly leave yourself at a severe disadvantage.

Mounts can also be found on various stages. Not every creature is a mount, of course, but if, say, a gigantic bird attacks you and you fell it, you will have an opportunity to get on its back and use it as a brand-new temporary weapon. Some of these mounts have special skills like breathing fire; others are more simplistic. I found the whole mount system interesting not only in terms of giving you exceptionally powerful ways to attack your enemies, but as damage sponges that will keep you safe from attack… that is, of course, until the mount takes enough damage and dies, leaving you on your own once more.

Character movement is mapped to the left analog stick on both Vita and PS3, and since the directional pad is itself used to navigate your quick-select inventory, there’s unfortunately no way to change this. However, even for old-schoolers like me that immediately reach for the d-pad in games like this, the analog stick works great, and falling back on the d-pad for item selection simply makes a great deal of sense. The right analog stick, on the other hand (get it?), is used to control an independent cursor (much like in the upcoming PS3-exclusive Puppeteer) that allows you to identify points of interest in the environment.

What use is such a skill? It’s simple: every character in the game has a strange, hooded companion following them around with a gigantic sack full of treasure and loot
. This is Dragon’s Crown’s humorous way of explaining how characters searching for endless riches can possibly hold everything they find, and these non-playable additions to your party can be directed towards specific areas to find even more loot while you’re fending off foes.

But what of the statistical minutiae of Dragon’s Crown? What, exactly, makes this game an RPG? Crown totes plenty of RPG features, starting first and foremost with tried-and-true character stats. In addition to health and magic points, heroes have stats tied to Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Magical Resistance, and Luck. As you become more powerful, find better items, equipment, and gear and get deeper into the game, these numbers will obviously increase.

Furthering the RPG feel (while also giving you plenty of reasons to replay old stages) is Crown’s scoring and appraisal systems. Your performance on various stages will net you a score, which is then translated through an algorithm to give you what are, in essence, experience points. Your score is basically modified to equate to experience based on your performance on that stage. The better you play, the higher your score and the more experience you earn.

Likewise, any loot you found on the stage will be given rankings, but the loot will remain totally ambiguous until you pay to have it appraised. So, if you get some loot with a common ranking, you may not want to pay to get it appraised. Then again, if you get a rare piece of equipment, it’s absolutely worth using some of your hard-earned currency to figure out exactly what it is. It may not always pan out when you do, but part of the reason Dragon’s Crown purports itself to be so replayable is, in fact, the need for more loot and the risk of getting that loot appraised.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...-ps3-deserves?abthid=5188a6c82dbde94043000044

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I remember an old d&d brawler in the arcades starting the same way, the character select screen had them all seated around in a tavern

The_Monk

Thanks for posting fellow GAFfer.

I know the article mentions it's a though game however, If I only care to enjoy the Story I do hope there's some easier difficulty. I'm interested in this but not for the challenge.

Beren

Looks like a lot of fun! do the characters lvl up and have stats on this game?
EDIT: I want to see an equip/stats screen i believe i am a bit confused :s

zakislam

This looks so awesome; every gameplay trailer has increased my hype ten fold. Cannot wait to pick it up for vita.

bunbun777

Oh man you get the rare loot and appraise it with the Dwarf but surprise it is a bow so you play the Elf but then get a rare staff.

Zekes!

I skipped Muramasa because I was rather disappointed with Odin Sphere, but I'm thinking about checking this out when it drops.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Everything in that preview sounds awesome but I'm not sure how I feel about the enemies scaling with your level. I wasn't really into that in Oblivion.
Why is the knight's head so small??
To contrast with his huge armor.

Wait a second

"The PS3 edition allows for drop-in/drop-out online play in addition to playing solo, while the Vita version allows for solo play and both online and ad-hoc multiplayer."

They can't possibly be implying that there's no local co-op for PS3, can they?

EDIT

Checked on their website to make sure I wasn't insane, yeah, PS3'll have local.

Wait a second

"The PS3 edition allows for drop-in/drop-out online play in addition to playing solo, while the Vita version allows for solo play and both online and ad-hoc multiplayer."

The official site confirmed that it has offline co-op on the PS3.

levitan

Will get it on Vita. Sounds like they have made some improvements from Muramasa...there wasn't a lot to do in towns.

Wait a second

EDIT

Checked on their website to make sure I wasn't insane, yeah, PS3'll have local.

Essentially means that a second player will be able to join a game by pressing start on the second, third, fourth controller from the sentence you put. Reasons why this isn't on vita are way too obvious to explain

This has been my most anticipated game from the moment I heard about it and now reading the impressions on IGN I have no doubt it is exactly the game i've always wanted - Capcom's Dungeons & Dragons but with much more depth.

The fact that Vanillaware are making it is just a huge bonus becuase imo they have the best 2d artists in the biz. I have all their games but their most recent outing Muramasa I found a bit too shallow and repetitive but I did enjoy Odin Sphere quite a lot.

The loot system and replayability is what has been missing from games like Golden Axe, Dungeons and Dragons and basically every other side scrolling beat em up ever made. I love the fact that enemies scale as well meaning it will always be challenging. Something I strive for in games. One thing that did irk me however was the notion of all melee classes being 'easy' mode. A real shame as I always prefer the melee classes in all games that have this option. I really hope it isn't this way in the final product.

I can't wait to see the amazing bosses and backgrounds this game will have in store. So happy!!! Thank you Vanillaware, I love how you only make 2d games - you guys are true legends!

Btw any idea of a release date on this? Would love to get my hands on this asap.

This has been my most anticipated game from the moment I heard about it and now reading the impressions on IGN I have no doubt it is exactly the game i've always wanted - Capcom's Dungeons & Dragons but with much more depth.

The fact that Vanillaware are making it is just a huge bonus becuase imo they have the best 2d artists in the biz. I have all their games but their most recent outing Muramasa I found a bit too shallow and repetitive but I did enjoy Odin Sphere quite a lot.

The loot system and replayability is what has been missing from games like Golden Axe, Dungeons and Dragons and basically every other side scrolling beat em up ever made. I love the fact that enemies scale as well meaning it will always be challenging. Something I strive for in games. One thing that did irk me however was the notion of all melee classes being 'easy' mode. A real shame as I always prefer the melee classes in all games that have this option. I really hope it isn't this way in the final product.

I can't wait to see the amazing bosses and backgrounds this game will have in store. So happy!!! Thank you Vanillaware, I love how you only make 2d games - you guys are true legends!

Btw any idea of a release date on this? Would love to get my hands on this asap.

August 6th and I totally agree. It's the kind of dream game that you are sad will never get made. Hell any excuse to see more of Vanillawares sublime 2d tech is worth it, but then add on top the fleshed out console sequel to Mystara, oh god.

dreamfall

So much controversy. So much want!

It's utterly beautiful. I'm excited to co-op online with other Vita friends, and just properly get lost in it's magical world.

It's a beat-em up at heart, don't want it too easy do you?

I also don't want to level up and feel weaker. Their is something satisfying about going back to a level that gave you a challenge and owning it later.

(Otherwise it defeats the purpose of leveling)

I consider Guardian Heroes one of the best examples. Going back with an over powered character is entertaining.

They could easily add a challenge mode that does these things and an RPG mode that does not.

I also don't want to level up and feel weaker. Their is something satisfying about going back to a level that gave you a challenge and owning it later.

(Otherwise it defeats the purpose of leveling)

I consider Guardian Heroes one of the best examples. Going back with an over powered character is entertaining.

They could easily add a challenge mode that does these things and an RPG mode that does not.

When you enter the online territory, scaling per player is one of the best ideas one can put. Not that i'm against having the traditional difficulty too. But i'd like to actually find players to play that don't destroy everything/die from everything.

fionel

This is only gonna make the wait harder! I have faith in this game b/c Vanillaware had shown they are able to make fun, challenging, and stylish combat encounters (ala Muramasa) and an addictive loot system (ala Grand Knights History). Can't freaking wait!

When you enter the online territory, scaling per player is one of the best ideas one can put. Not that i'm against having the traditional difficulty too. But i'd like to actually find players to play that don't destroy everything/die from everything.

Does it actually scale per player so your all effectively equal? That's is brilliant for online play. For single player/local multi-player it's lame. Sometimes drunk overpower hours runs are fun with friends.

I still think a true RPG mode should exist even if it's offline only.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Does it actually scale per player so your all equally effective? For online play that's brilliant. For single player play it's lame. Sometimes drunk overpower hours runs are fun with friends.

I still think a true RPG mode should exist even if it's offline only.

Well it can scale with your levels but that doesn't mean the monsters are going to be strong, weaker monsters could have lower stat growth rates

Top Bottom