• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some online games (like some F2P titles) don't require PS+ paywall.

DirtRiver

I was thinking how they would go about that. Nice of them to allow some games - free-to-play at least - to play online without paying, especially big games like Planetside 2.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Nice. Makes sense too, F2P games want as few barriers as possible to having access to the game. I can't imagine any of them would exclude those who don't have PlayStation Plus if the decision is up to them. If nearly everyone can play your game, then you have a higher chance of people sticking with it and spending money in game.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Even if I still dislike the paywall, this is a very very smart and much needed move.

F2P behind a paywall is absolutely bonkers. I hope MS follows the same route. (Who am I kidding?)

jimi_dini

They could put in codes into all new games that would allow say 2-3 weeks of "free multiplayer". Just like they currently put in codes for PSN+ trials.

That way people that buy many games wouldn't have to pay extra. Also this would be an additional incentive to buy new.

Tabris

I haven't been a Silver member except for day 1 and once another time when I forgot to change my credit card details for auto renewal... does Silver allow you to purchase content online?

CatPee

This interview also seems to say that DriveClub PS+ Edition doesn't have real-time online competitive play. :(

Eusis

Even if I still dislike the paywall, this is a very very smart and much needed move.

F2P behind a paywall is absolutely bonkers. I hope MS follows the same route. (Who am I kidding?)
Yeah, this is the wisdom Microsoft was showing early in the 360 days before going "HAHAHA WHY NOT LOCK NETFLIX BEHIND IT!?" Although the real mistake there may've been KEEPING it behind Gold...

Although if it's a publisher choice that implies they DO get a cut of the revenue from Sony for Plus, and thus likely it is what's killing online passes. Hell, in a sense maybe THAT is their "anti-used" measure, that we sorta pay an insurance to keep it accessible. Well, better that than Microsoft's lunacy.

Noi

It was mentioned in another interview, but stiff like Netflix isn't behind a paywall either. It's strictly online play and stuff developers choose to place behind it.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This is pretty good news. Sony's practices at their worst is still more consumer friendly than Microsoft at their best.

rdrr gnr

I haven't been a Silver member except for day 1 and once another time when I forgot to change my credit card details for auto renewal... does Silver allow you to purchase content online?
Yes, it does. But F2P online MP is still behind Gold only.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Because its stupid to put F2P behind a paywall. Yes, limit peoples ability to give you money, sure why not!?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
games such as Planetside 2 or DC Universe Online don't require PS+ subscription.

ft3s80d.png

wilflare

so for non-F2P titles, is it up to the publisher to decide whether to put their online MP behind PS+ or not?

or is PS+ Online MP like mandated system-wide?

EDIT: but this is a good move forward at least. if they announce dedicated servers, PS+ will really be of great value.
wonder how Gaikai will be part of this... and whether there will indeed be some form of higher tier subscription

Sony making all the right moves. Keeps media apps above the paywall, and now staying honest when promoting *free to play* (as honest as you get with those types of games ha). Good to see.

Dragun619

Awesome, I was definitely wondering if we got an answer to that but yea looks like I'm good to go with Warframe and FFXIV.

Kyon

Banned
Not Sony slaying again.

Yaaaaaaaasssss PUNCH!
clap.gif

No media apps behind pay wall

No Subscription based games or F2P games behind pay wall. YAS
clap.gif

MS still putting a pay wall in front of everything tho. Mess

Omega

Banned
Paywall done right-ish

I laughed when World of Tanks was revealed to require an XBLG. I'm sure people are lining up to pay $60/year for WoT when they can just play it on PC for free

J-Rzez

Well thank god that's the least they could do is have the common sense to leave F2P games fully "Free to Play".

Toxa

ask namco with tekken revolution

JABEE

So Publishers on a individual basis can make their F2P games require Plus, but it's an Opt-In. What incentive is there for a F2P studio to not be free?

Kyon

Banned
So Publishers on a individual basis can make their F2P games require Plus, but it's an Opt-In. What incentive is there for a F2P studio to not be free?

None. Letting anyone and everyone able to play this free and make micro transactions is better than hiding your game behind a paywall. Especially people who don't want to pay for PS+ and want to play these :)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

considering that Sony will make a % of those transactions, you're still going to be paying for that online access anyway.

Top Bottom