• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4 Returns and Criminal Girls INVITATION coming to Vita

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
WeXYjsP.jpg

Disgaea 4 Returns coming in January 2014 and Criminal Girls: INVITATION coming this Winter.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/07/13/68463.html

Ken

I heard Disgaea 4 is better than 3 (which I'm slowly progressing through on the Vita) so I'm excited.

Huzzah, was going to do some more post game stuff this weekend but I'll put it on hold now :D Or maybe they will do a save transfer given that stuff is more popular than when DIsgaea 3 Vita launched?

I want Prinny 3 on the vita the most though.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm curious about what Criminal Girls is. More importantly I'm curious to see if it could be any good.

I decided to try the Disgaea series out with 4 and I really didn't like it, and I usually like SRPGs a lot. So I'm passing on this rerelease.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is Criminal Girls any good?

Koren

Waaaay better.

"Better" is way understating it.
It is?

I prefered the story and characters in 3 (granted, the story is not a big part of the game), but more importantly for people playing it for maximizing levels, the puppy pawn stick nerf is awful (most players I know have used the duping bug at rosenqueen and avoided updating the game because of that, not a good sign), the level-up is stupid (since any class can reach 300%, there's nearly no differences between classes, and getting 300% is even more mindless grinding), and I also don't find the perfect weapons building better (a lot of resetting for getting enough level spheres, not my idea of "good design").

And the platinum is even more annoying in 4 than in 3 (got the one in 3, I just have to update my game to get the one in 4 since I don't think I can receive the last trophy without getting
Asagi HD
without getting the DLC, which is also stupid). But I guess that again, they'll make trophies on mobile platform a joke compared to the ones on console.

So yes, the game system itself is better for post-game, but the early game (story) and end game (maximizing) are both disappointing.

I can understand why many will find that 4>3, but I don't think it's so obvious, and the difference is not huge.

Other thread got locked, so I guess i'll ask here. Disgaea fans, if I wanted to get into the series, which game would you recommend I play first?

TheChaos0

Disgaea 2 imo

No, no, no. Disgaea 1 of course. :) Gameplay is not vastly different between the 2 but the story is better in the 1st one. Although a word of warning, getting a Normal ending in the first one is so ridiculously easy that I would check a guide to make sure you get True Ending.

As for Disgaea 4, I was putting it of playing it on PS3 because I knew it would come to Vita sooner or later.

D2 will have to be on a console though, can't wait to return to the old characters. :)

Koren

Other thread got locked, so I guess i'll ask here. Disgaea fans, if I wanted to get into the series, which game would you recommend I play first?
Are you interested
- in the main story, a 25-30h game, and not so much in grinding
- in grinding for hundreds of hours random-generated levels to try to create the most perfect weapons/equipments/team?

If it's the former, I'd say Disgaea 1, it's still the one with the most interesting characters and enjoyable story for me. Postgame is quite bad, though, although a remake has really improved the system.

If it's the latter, a recent one. 3 or 4 (most will say 4, but as I said above, I'm not sure I enjoyed 4 more than 3) or maybe D2 (it's my contender for best game, since I love the cast and the original disgaea cast with a modern game system is dream for me) but I've yet to play it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, no. Disgaea 1 of course. :)
Depends on how much you can stand Disgaea's brand of humor. Personally I didn't like most of the characters in D1 but thought Disgaea 2 was nice in that at least the main characters try to take themselves and the story somewhat seriously.

Are you interested
- in the main story, a 25-30h game, and not so much in grinding
- in grinding for hundreds of hours random-generated levels to try to create the most perfect weapons/equipments/team?

If it's the former, I'd say Disgaea 1, it's still the one with the most interesting characters and enjoyable story for me. Postgame is quite bad, though, although a remake has really improved the system.

If it's the latter, a recent one. 3 or 4 (most will say 4, but as I said above, I'm not sure I enjoyed 4 more than 3) or maybe D2 (it's my contender for best game, since I love the cast and the original disgaea cast with a modern game system is dream for me) but I've yet to play it.

I think i'll go with Disgaea 1 then. I can't stand a lot of grinding. Thanks for the help, everyone.

zeopower6

Or we could not do and you could just tell us what it is.

Because I have a feeling it's something I don't want to Google.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread... :| -sigh-

But basically there are seven girls who represent the seven sins who are sent to prison and you are the warden who is to rehabilitate them and 'punish' them if need be. (I think you spank them) Lots of ero-ero CGs too! Some of which are strategically censored so they look naked! The gameplay is dungeon crawler-y from what I've seen.

Dantis

I mentioned it earlier in the thread... :| -sigh-

But basically there are seven girls who represent the seven sins who are sent to prison and you are the warden who is to rehabilitate them and 'punish' them if need be. (I think you spank them) Lots of ero-ero CGs too! Some of which are strategically censored so they look naked! The gameplay is dungeon crawler-y from what I've seen.

Oh, whoops! I missed that post. Apologies!

Also that sounds gross.

Vita saved!

Disgaea 4 is pretty much the best in the series, thanks to the map editor and tons of content. I don't see how this port will be any different.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Personally I didn't like most of the characters in D1 but thought Disgaea 2 was nice in that at least the main characters try to take themselves and the story somewhat seriously.

"That's just my style". Disgaea 2's characters are awful. But beyond that it's certainly the better game.

Koren

I think i'll go with Disgaea 1 then. I can't stand a lot of grinding. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Disgaea games are pretty much all about grinding.

I agree, I'm playing them for that (500+ hours in both Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4), but it may not be for everyone. Especially that it become REALLY boring (I usually play while listening the radio or a show), level-upping your characters is doing 250 times the very same 10 levels (move a character, kill the gardian, move another character on the exit, repeat), level-upping the weapons is mostly the same on larger maps, with additional resets if you don't get what you want.

Killing a powerful enemy is a small gift for so many hours of grinding (in fact, in D4, when I discovered the Baal pirates, I killed all of them but one in a SINGLE fire attack, and the one that survived was just too far to be included in the area, so the battle wasn't even enjoyable).

But I konw a lot of people that enjoyed the games just for the story itself, it's still a really enjoyable ~30h game (even if you won't discover much of the game system, classes, skills, etc.), even more if you want to see more endings.

And for that, I still think that the first one is the most enjoyable game. Laharl, Etna and Flonne win hands down (and the
galactic hero team
is also great)

I hope the next Disgaea releases for PS3/PS4/Vita simultaneously and cross buy/platform. They'll have me as a fan until the end if that happens.

Westlo

Play 1, if you like the game than you have the option of continuing in the order it was released, or skipping ahead to D2 which comes out Sept/Oct so you can get the "sequel" to D1. Than come back to D2, D3 and D4 after that.

Koren

so nNISA would finally localize criminal girls right?!
Their last game with "risqué" parts (Mugen Souls) was censored.

I can't see how they would transform this one... I don't think it'll be released.

Sohei Niikawa (N1 president) interviewed by Digitally Download:
DD: Critics sometimes target Nippon Ichi games, and the games that you publish, for containing material that can offend western senses. However, when you censor material you localise (such as Mugen Souls last year), you risk upsetting your dedicated fan base. How do you strike a balance and avoid controversy?

SN: It is a miniscule amount, but there are some cultural things that are acceptable in Japan that are not overseas.

While we understand that any changes to a game’s contents are unfortunate to those hardcore fans, we want our titles to be enjoyed in as many regions as possible and therefore we localise the titles with these things in minds.

That means there may sometimes be content of a sexual nature that would prevent a title from being sold without alteration. Mugen Souls was a rare example of this.

However, we basically try to offer our titles with their content and intent of expression unaltered from their Japanese counterparts.

I short: I'd be VERY surprised should they localized Criminal Girls, which is mostly BASED on such topics. Even the "discipline room" in D4 was censored.

Top Bottom