• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Young Magus

SMT_Nocturne.jpg

Yay!! My 1st thread!
Well on the gaming side anyway

Intro:

Although I had exposure to the MegaTen franchise, I had picked up this game over a year ago. With school and life often getting in the way, the time I had to complete and enjoy this game was few and few between. In preparation for the US release of SMT IV, I decided to return to the ~18 hour save file I had and in less then a week I was able to complete this gem. The following post will be a summary of my thoughts, opinions and ideas regarding this game.

Story:

The game begins with a normal high school student ready to visit his teacher with a few folks from High School. Being that this is a SMT game, things go to hell pretty quickly and sooner then later you find yourself caught up in a power struggle among armies and legions of various demons/monsters from various mythology and folklore. The ultimate goal: the obtain the power to create and remake the world as they see fit. Called reasons, the ideas are based upon concepts from philosophy and each one has its own means, strength and opportunity to make a new world. Your character can join up with anyone
or tell each one to get bent
to wind up being the deciding factor in how the battle to remake the world will end. While the story is minimalist in terms of cutscenes and dialogue (which works surprisingly well), Nocturne more then makes up for in the....

Presentation:

The presentation is top-notch and helps create an environment of dread and lonesome. Being alone in a world full of Demons helps create an said environment and makes scenes like this:

All the more powerful to the player. Also worth noting is the fantastic artwork of one Kazuma Kaneko, whose art come to life thanks to the game's beautiful and detailed cel-shaded design.

Gameplay:

The most infamous portion of Nocturne is the soul-crushing battle system and take-no-prisoners dungeon design. And just so we get this out the way:

Everything you hear about this MOFO right here is true, he will teach you the know hows and ways of mastering the battle systems of Nocturne. Let me make myself clear: YOU.WILL.NEED.BUFFS./.DEBUFFS.TO.MAKE.IT.THOUGH.THIS.GAME. Once you get that processed in your head, the game will still be kicking your ass. Strategy is the key word here ladies and gents not only in the field of battle but outside of it as well. With warps, traps and set-ups that are around the various dungeons, you NEED to plan ahead and think of the dangers that could be lurking around the corner.

The battle system uses the Press Turn system that rewards critical thing and memorization. Anyone that has played the recent Persona games or Digital Devil Saga should be familiar with this combat system are both use a modified version of Press Turn. It's real simple: discover/use weakness= more turns, use attack that's actually their strength/element=you lose your turn. Again, to get thorough this game you will need to master the art of press turn to survive the massive onslaught of enemies and random encounters. Another key element of battle would be the Magatama system in which the abilities and stats are determined by which one you have by the time you level up. The thing that I do not like about this (and this was fixed in DDS) is that once you learn a skill when your move list is full (and this will happen sooner then you think) you HAVE to erase a skill (the newly learned skill or the ones your have) this will create problems down the road and again requires thinking and advance planning (notice a theme here?)

Music:

Instead of explaining my love of the music, I'll just post a link to the OST..........what are you waiting for?

Conclusion:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is one hell of an ride that I was glad I experienced. From the gameplay to the massive amount of dungeon crawling, the game is quite rewarding when you finally beat the game. With every boss you beat and every puzzle you solve, it provided a sense of accomplishment that can only be matched by only a few selective titles. For those who want something different from the usual in terms of battles, setting and soundtrack, then Nocturne is the game for you. If for whatever reason you are on the fence, then let me tell you that the game is only $20 :). This RPG is a one of a kind experience and should be enjoyed by more folks

Aeana

It always makes me really happy to see someone experience this game for the first time. It's too bad you already finished it (would be a fun discussion), but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Flamfas

i have heard this game is very good, but this is the first i have seen screenshots/actually read anything about it

I need this now. ;_____________________;

Meia

Well, seeing as you got through it, I do have a question.

For the story part, you basically summarized everything that happens in like the first hour of the game. At this point, I'm still fully on board. I'm even on board til maybe halfway, but honestly the story kind of disappears on you. I get the "goal" of the game, but lack of characters/plot to move forward really killed any interest to finish the game, no matter how many times I try.

Does this improve later? Or is just something that stays this way throughout? Have no illusions of playing this game now that SMT4 is shipping to my house currently, but I do want to get through it eventually...

Seda

I played this game almost exactly a year ago now. And I loved it. It has rock-solid mechanics and great style. As I was playing, I was always thinking about my team, making sure it was balanced, keeping track of key abilities and making sure I had all my elements and buffs covered. You can't spend much time simply cruising through the game because you have to keep on top of so many things to stay effective. You can only use 3 demons in battle of course, but I always kept a team of 5/6 battle ready demons available. Making the loss of a demon in battle much less of a pain when you can swap it out with a reliable backup.

i have heard this game is very good, but this is the first i have seen screenshots/actually read anything about it

I need this now. ;_____________________;

Flammy, you need to get on that.

Seriously, it's an amazing game.

You too, Kayos.

Young Magus

For the story part, you basically summarized everything that happens in like the first hour of the game. At this point, I'm still fully on board. I'm even on board til maybe halfway, but honestly the story kind of disappears on you. I get the "goal" of the game, but lack of characters/plot to move forward really killed any interest to finish the game, no matter how many times I try.

Does this improve later? Or is just something that stays this way throughout? Have no illusions of playing this game now that SMT4 is shipping to my house currently, but I do want to get through it eventually...

Sorry about that, sorry to say but the story kinda stays in the background a good portion of the time. It's not till the last 3rd of the game in where the plot picks up and even then it more of "ideology warfare with bit players" then "full on character warfare" if that makes any sence. It gets better/interesting but not by a tenfold.

How long did it take you?

IIRC, somewhere between 69-71 hours

randomkid

Yeah that's that classic SMT storytelling, it's something you might not be used to, but if you let the atmosphere and NPCs and demons fill in the gaps for you it'll make the cutscenes feel that much sweeter.

This is the videogame I want to replay the most.

BLCKATK

Wow this is awesome. I was totally thinking of doing this game for my first thread as well because I did my first real playthrough earlier this year. This game is absolutely incredible and one of my favorite JRPGs. The atmosphere is just so good.

Oh god I'm putting the disk back in my PS2...

Gattsu25

Banned
One thing I think people should know: Everything the OP said about the press turn system applies to the enemies as well. They hit your weakspot and they get an extra turn. They hit an element that you are strong against and they lose a turn.

Also, your main character dies in battle = immediate game over.

So fucking good.

Dammit, now I'm listening to the soundtrack again.

Freedom ending, it was the closest to Neutral I can get.

Don't worry TDE will be done one day

Nice. I think I got 4/5 of the way down the path then turned around as I still had a bit more to go and well, Curse Rooms, haha. TDE was #2 playthru.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I need to finish this game. Might buy a new PS2 just to do it.

Totally OT, but what's with the avatars like the OP's being split like that? I have seen a couple and am wondering the origin. I am guessing it has something to do with SMT IV though.

TWILT

Banned
Great game. Really loved the atmosphere, music and gameplay. I really should get back to finishing this; I remember getting stuck near the end at a temple or something.

I used to own this game, but I lend it to a friend and never got it back. I only got like 20 hours into the game too. I remeber it being enjoyable but hard as hell.

cj_iwakura

In a move of sagely wisdom, some of the best tracks from Nocturne are on Catherine's jukebox, namely Play, World Map-Before Transformation-, and End Credits.

randomkid

You know what's kinda underappreciated in this game? The low demon count. Provides better balance and progression, allows for you to test your homegrown choices over a longer period of time, and even makes maximizing the compendium (something I've never done for any other game) feel achievable. That 400+ number I've heard about in SMT4 honestly kinda scares me heh.

While satisfying, I feel that the game (along with DDS) was too biased towards buffs/debuffs. Once you know what to do, every major battle became a Rakukaja/Sukukaja/Tarunda/Sukunda/Dejaka/Healing tug-of-war, which, should you win, is capped off by an extremely satisfying Focus - Divine Shot/Spiral Viper/Freikugel.

It feels a bit strange when my most feared attack in the game is Dekaja, instead of Fire of Sinai/Death Flies/whatever the final boss/TDE boss can throw out.

While this game's atmosphere can't be beat, I highly preferred the grindiness, dungeon-crawliness, skills/stats permanence, optional bosses (DDS1's optional ultimate boss is one of the best among all JRPGs) and even perhaps the linearity of the DDS duology.

cj_iwakura

While satisfying, I feel that the game (along with DDS) was too biased towards buffs/debuffs. Once you know what to do, every major battle became a Rakukaja/Sukukaja/Tarunda/Sukunda/Dejaka/Healing tug-of-war, which, should you win, is capped off by an extremely satisfying Focus - Divine Shot/Spiral Viper/Freikugel.

It feels a bit strange when my most feared attack in the game is Dekaja, instead of Fire of Sinai/Death Flies/whatever the final boss/TDE boss can throw out.

While this game's atmosphere can't be beat, I highly preferred the grindiness, dungeon-crawliness, skills/stats permanence, optional bosses (DDS1's optional ultimate boss is one of the best among all JRPGs) and even perhaps the linearity of the DDS duology.

That's why challenge mode is no aja/nda spells. Or a solo run.

I just started playing this two nights ago (currently at the boss in the Amala Network) and I am loving it so far. Only SMT games I've played before are Persona 3 & 4 so going into it I thought I would miss the social links; but so far the demon negotiating and dungeon layouts (I assume they are handcrafted) have made me forget all about them. As long as I take my time in battles and use buff and debuff I should be fine, right?

Also, when I was skimming the thread I noticed people mentioning that one user missed half the content, is this something I should be worried about or is it obvious when the event happens?

Seda

Also, when I was skimming the thread I noticed people mentioning that one user missed half the content, is this something I should be worried about or is it obvious when the event happens?

There is a bonus dungeon called The Labyrinth of Amala (or sometimes the Kalpas, same thing). It's optional but necessary to complete if you want a special ending - called the True Demon Ending. You have to finish it by a certain point in the game.

Maybe its cause I was already familiar with SMT but the Matador only took me about 3 tries. He was hard, sure but not the hardest boss battle.

Top Bottom