• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK guyz: what's the best KoF?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've spent some time with XIII and I think it's cool, but I missed out on this series over the years. I know 2002UM and 98 are well regarded, but why?

Tizoc

Off the top of my head:
KoF 98
KoF 98 UM
KoF 02
KoF 02 UM
KoF XI
KoF 13
KoF MI2 or Reg. A
NGBC aka KoF: SNK All-Stars Edition

Other notable games:
KoF 95
KoF 2000
KoF Neowave

Tizoc

KoF 97 was my first KoF too and one of the main games that got me into gaming and FGs in general =D
It sadly is greatl surpassed by 98 however.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
98 remains my favorite. Still the prize of my AES collection, even if it's not the most expensive one.

hoggert

95 was my first/fave, but I wouldn't recommend it, so I'll jump on the 98 bandwagon. Awesome amount of characters, great gameplay, backgrounds, etc.

impact

Banned
2002UM no question

would love a Steam port with GGPO netcode, I bought the XBL version :(

(also 98UM and XI if you're reading this SNK)

Tizoc

I've spent some time with XIII and I think it's cool, but I missed out on this series over the years. I know 2002UM and 98 are well regarded, but why?

Sorry for not reading your post, but 98 and 02 are for the most part, among the most balanced games in the series. 98 was closer to classic FG, whereas 02 was more combo-oriented.

Most newer KoF fans had gotten into the series via KoF 02 btw.

KoF 98 UM adds a subsystem to allow for extend combos, like IIRC...Krauser can do his Leg Tomahawk (QCF+K), then he can activate POW mode and combo into his super.

Tripon

98 UM for the ultimate version of old school KoF experience.
2002 UM for the best version of mid age KoF.
XI for the best version of 'pre-modern' KoF.
XIII for the best version of modern KoF.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
'94-'97 are the original three-on-three games. You switch characters each round, although under the right conditions you can have your teammates in the background jump in and assist.

'98 is the first dream match game, building on what '97 did.

'99-2001 are the striker-based games. Strikers are regular or NPC assist characters you can in during fights.

2002 is the second dream match game and goes back to an older pre-'99 game play style.

NeoWave is an altered 2002 on new hardware.

2003 and XI are three-on-three team games again, but you can switch during battle like a Vs. game.

The Maximum Impact games are 2.5D spin-offs with side-stepping and a different play style.

XII we'll just pretend doesn't exist, and XIII of course is actually KOF XII: We Finished Making The Game Edition.

I've been a huge fan and have been playing these games since they came out. And I'm gonna throw nostalgia aside and just say to go with KOF '98 UM, 2002 UM, and XIII for all your KOF needs at this point. Skip the striker games and check out XI if you want to try the switching system. KOF Maximum Impact: Regulation A is the best game in that series.

Tizoc

KoF XII did have a unique but balanced and interesting system. I would love for them to re-utilize it, fixing and improving it of course, at least for... I dunno Garou 2?

95 was the first I played so that holds a special place in my heart however in terms of overall experience, despite having no plot 98 vanilla is definitely up there for me especially if you're a purist fighting game fan.

I have a soft spot for 96 for the music and 99 for the graphics (beautiful stages) but for me it has to go to 98. Classic KoF at its best.

Although TBH I've not touched the series since 03, so I may not be best placed to say.

2002 has the characters i like, so that one. altho i slightly prefer the gameplay of 98. i find it hard to get into kofxiii; perhaps partially because of the characters.

CO_Andy

The original of course

fatalfury_logo.png

I once read a passionate argument that XI is the absolute finest, but he was saying that in the context of XII recently having debuted. I can't remember the details, but there are a things you can do in XI, such as swapping characters out, that you cannot do in XII (and XIII). SNK had decided to go back to the earlier mechanics, where you're stuck with the order of characters you chose before the fight and must use them until they defeated. Therefore, as the argument goes, the games became simpler and thus inferior. I have no say in it because my entire personal experience with the series consists of about 10 minutes with Garou, and 5 minutes with KoFXI. The rest is occasionally watching tournaments of 13.

Esura

Banned
KOF '99 and KOFXIII for me.

I picked '99 cause it was my first KOF game I ever gotten for Christmas/ever played. I became enamoured with the sound track and the sheer amount of characters you can play with. Only other SNK fighter I played beside KOF '99 at the time was my brother's copy of Art of Fighting for the Genesis so seeing Robert and Ryo in '99 was a wtf moment for me. I hated Krizalid though, could never beat the son of a bitch back then until a year ago. I guess my love for it is firmly nostalgia-based I'd admit but I still have fun playing it every now and then.

KOFXIII is pretty much the ultimate KOF. To the soundtrack, character designs, the graphics, gameplay additions, it's like SNK Playmore's magnum opus. If KOFXII was like waking up in the morning with the girl next door you have the hots for performing a Cleveland steamer on you then taking 60 bucks out of your wallet afterwards, KOFXIII is like waking up in the morning next to the girl you got a crush on and she's naked and your pocket is full of money that you didn't have before for some reason. Was like a love letter to KOF fans everywhere.

Despite being a huge SNK fan, I still have yet to play KoFXIII.

XI is my favorite though and I still play it nowadays. Plus it has Blue Mary which is probably part of the reason why I haven't played KoFXIII haha

Sgblues

I liked almost all the KOFs, except 2001, 2002 vanilla, 2003(not as bad) and of course XII.

But personal faves would be: '96, '98,'98UM, '00, 02UM, XI and XIII, the 3D games weren't bad but I preferred the 2D ones over them, also '97 is a game I like but I dunno why they decided to go with many characters/stages missing music though when we did get music it was really good(Cool Jam, Bloody, Rhythmic Hallucination and Origin of the Mind)

Ninja Dom

The Pure KOF fighting experience. Default KOF system with Supers in. Huge cast of characters, every character is pretty decent. Nice and fast. Possibly the finest 2D fighting game of all time.

Dropped the Striker system used in 99-2001. Took it straight back to the way 98 was but with a more advanced (complex) fighting system. Colours aren't as vibrant as in 98. Game is fucking decent and only just short of being better than 98.

Going with XIII, while I've played 98UM and 02UM, the game being properly documented (except for Maxima's frame data), having a more convenient practice mode and people of all levels playing it helped me appreciate it more.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
98 has always been my favorite. It's gorgeous, colorful and pretty much the best 'pure' KOF experience. XI is a close second because of the great tag system, MOTW cast, and DREAM CANCEL! It's an execution monster though and even harder to learn than XIII. 02UM is great as people say, but I still prefer 98 because of how combo-heavy 02 is, and the aesthetics are less appealing to me.

It's been said, but pick up 98UM, 02UM, and XI to get the best of every KOF era.

Jubern

My favourites are definitely 98 UM, 2002 UM (both of those have huuuuge casts and a gameplay pretty much perfected), XI (interesting cast, interesting gameplay) and XIII (great cast if only too "classic", great game system,)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
98 and 02UM are the most popular.
I looooooooooove XI. Easily my favorite. :3

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
For those who prefer 97 or 96 etc over 98, is that a nostalgia thing or is the roster/mechanics different than 98?

02UM sounds like a nice fit for someone like me who started with XIII.

Biker19

Banned
KOF '98/'98 UM, KOF 2002/2002 UM, KOF XI, & KOF XIII.

KOF '95 to KOF '97 are also good, & KOF '99 & KOF 2000 aren't bad, but it's the KOF games I named above which are the best of them all.

Notable mentions are

KOF: Maximum Impact 2 or Reg. A & Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

Tizoc

For those who prefer 97 or 96 etc over 98, is that a nostalgia thing or is the roster/mechanics different than 98?

To me I like 97 more due to nostalgia, 98 blows it away by balancing and fixing various stuff.

However 98's 'presentation', outside of the stages and they wonderfully colorful design, is turd IMO compared to 97 (OK well the victory artwork is also good, but everything else is arse bleh).
I also HATE how they changed Yashiro's HCB+P move in 98! >=( AND THEN THEY END REMOVING IT FROM HIS MOVELIST IN 02!
Despite that he's my main since he has easy damaging combos lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Straight up nostalgia in my case... and the whole ending of the Orochi saga was amazing.
DAT NEW FACE TEAM

Top Bottom