• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer interview - 'we're committed to the original vision' [THE GUARDIAN]

mocoworm

Far too long to post it all but a good read. Interesting interview with Phil Spencer at GamesCon for The Guardian UK

Xbox One's Phil Spencer: 'we're committed to the original vision' - Exclusive: We talk to Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft Game Studios, at Gamescom about Xbox One's rocky road to launch

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/22/xbox-one-microsoft-gamescom-2013

"Yes. And the idea of being able to share digital games …

We didn't reverse that.

But they're in the background now. I wonder how much of that proposition, which was very Steam-like, will come back?

We're committed to the digital ecosystem that we talked about at the beginning of Xbox One. Absolutely. That's why I wanted to be clear on what you were referring to with the word 'reversal'. Other people have tried to twist this a little bit, but it's important that we remain in a two-way dialogue with gamers and potential customers about what they would like to see. Consoles today are as much a service as they are an individual purchase – our commitment through Xbox Live and updating the software and keeping the games coming is a long-term service commitment. The service gets better through direct feedback with the people who are using it.

What we heard from gamers is that they enjoyed the physical DRM they had with the 360 ecosystem and they wanted to add that to Xbox One. So we added physical DRM to the digital DRM plan that we had. When we did that, maths takes over and some things had to move out. But the core of that digital ecosystem is absolutely something that we believe in, and we haven't reversed it. You'll be able to buy games as physical and digital goods, you'll be able to share games with everybody in your house, and other features that we talked about will definitely be coming down the line.

There are plenty of pundits out there who say all console wars are won on price. You have the more expensive console because you've refused to remove Kinect from the equation. So how do you respond to those people?

I think it's always about experience in the end. I'm not discounting price at all, the economy is tough, and buying into the next generation, whether it's us or someone else, is not an insignificant amount of money. I get that. What I say is, we're committed to Xbox One in the long run – we have a long roadmap of features, of games that we're going to bring – and Kinect is critical. We've given Kinect to the biggest developers on the planet and they've integrated it in some very interesting ways; along with Smart Glass which has created some really compelling scenarios.

And now we're going to unlock those same creative capabilities in the independent developers. You may remember, when the original Kinect got into the hands of the Windows development community, there was this explosion of creativity. I've really been excited by the number of indies coming to me as part of ID@Xbox and telling me what they want to do with cloud and Kinect – they can only rely on that if they know Kinect is a consistent part of the platform.

In a year's time do you think games will look fundamentally different from how they are now?

The part I'm really excited to see is the use of the cloud, and how that changes. Think back to when the Xbox 360 first came out with the blade interface, and look at it now – well that's dramatically changed. Now we're putting hundreds of thousands of servers behind the capabilities of Xbox One which is going to allow game developers of all sizes to really think differently about how they deliver their products and their services, and frankly how we architect the platform as well. That union of the capability of the box and what's behind the box will mean we'll see an even more dramatic change in this generation than we did in the last, as the years go by.

Do you see a future that is purely digital?

Well I'm a big Steam fan; you talk about your phone, your tablet, those are all digital ecosystems – it's not like, as consumers, digital ecosystems are foreign to us. But we heard from consumers that they wanted us to also support a physical system as well. So our plan was to continue to grab a lot of the advantages of a digital system while adding in physical. Now, there are some differences that you need to understand: in a digital world, we know which games are yours – as you purchase them online, the license is associated with your account and that gives us unique capabilities in terms of what we can do with that content. When the DRM is on the disc, we don't know that you own that disc and so the capabilities are different. If you're a digital customer and you're comfortable with that, you should invest in being a digital customer on Xbox One, because those advantages will be coming, some at launch and some later. But we're giving you a choice. It's like movies: I happen to be more of a digital customer, through Netflix and pay-per-view, but you can still go and buy Blu-rays and DVDs.

It's weird because there are two stories that came out of E3: one that Sony won with its very aggressive press conference, and then another, where Xbox One took a huge number of E3 Games Awards… Do you feel that one interpretation got overlooked in favour of the other?

I guess I just have a fundamental belief that gamers buy games consoles to play games, and they don't buy them for press events. We're going to lead with the content that we think gamers want – and all of the people on stages, myself included, that's just part of a show. When you land it, the questions people ask are: what am I going to be able to play? What does this console do for me? What are my friends playing? What games are coming? And you know, we have Titanfall coming, we have Halo coming, we have our relationships around Fifa and Call of Duty, and our exclusive games. Those experiences, what the box is capable of … in the end, that's what it is. All of this, this is for people who look inside the business. That's great, I love feedback – and our ability to listen to the feedback and respond has to be a strength while building this platform, it has to be, I can't see it any other way."

Courage

How can you even say that after all those reversals? You're promising the original vision in the future? Why not implement digital sharing now?

Fucking MS and their stupid bullshit PR speak.

All this means is that MS are going to try and bring back their shitty policies through the back door once people own the system and include some BS clause in the EULA to allow it.

Sydle

I like Spencer more than Mattrick.

The original digital-only console was too early, so they pushed it out based on consumer feedback. It's a good thing they're listening and being responsive. I'm not sure why people are still trying to demonize or disparage them on this point. I like to know they're being more consumer friendly.

On another note, I like these kinds of threads because the console warriors reveal themselves so easily.

All this means is that MS are going to try and bring back their shitty policies through the back door once people own the system and include some BS clause in the EULA to allow it.

That's how I feel. Perhaps they'll bring back some of the "features" as options and not completely spoil the little goodwill that has been regained.

Skeff

Any XB1 buyers shifting uncomfortably in their seats at Microsoft still being committed to that vision?

Microsoft really think this FIFA deal is going to be huge in Europe.

Classic American thinking tbh, football is huge here, FIFA benefits from that. If it turns out to be a shit show and PES make it work for next gen (not this year, clearly) then the market will shift over. PES was bigger on PS2 than FIFA for example, despite the licence issues and stupid names!

Also, when the PS4 version of FIFA sells more than the Xbone version probably at a 3:1 ratio or higher people should not be surprised. I also think EA will pull the plug on their partnership in the middle of next year and the "legends" (if you can call them that) will come to the PS4 version of FIFA as well.

REV 09

I don't see how they could change it to where the disc would only be a key again. They might release a smaller box with no disc drive at some point...I could see that happening .

m23

I hope they bring back the ability to rip games onto your HDD and not needing the disc. I like buying physical discs, but I also love the convenience of just starting game at anytime.

Anth1888

It would be huge if they managed to launch everywhere. They will probably maintain leadership in the UK and everywhere else it will be business as usual.

Arguably one of the UK's biggest retailer for consoles Amazon (or the biggest) were sold out of the Day One edition even before the FIFA announcement. Consumers might be mislead in thinking that they are getting FIFA with their Xbox One if they haven't bought the Day One edition and got the normal edition on launch day - even though its clearly stated.

Alx

Good, bring back the family share and if you can, let me install from the disc again to save bandwidth.

That feature is already confirmed : you'll be able to install from the disc (actually I think you will have to), the only difference is that you'll need to keep the disc in the tray to be able to play. Just like on the 360.

I don't see how they could change it to where the disc would only be a key again. They might release a smaller box with no disc drive at some point...I could see that happening .

The DRM system is being taken out with a day one patch, I'm pretty sure they can patch it back in.

hlhbk

What we heard from gamers is that they enjoyed the physical DRM they had with the 360 ecosystem

No Phil what you found is that while most gamers dispise DRM they will put up with the disc based DRM on consoles as opposed to being bent over with the terrible digital DRM you were pushing.

timlot

Banned
Any XB1 buyers shifting uncomfortably in their seats at Microsoft still being committed to that vision?

The problem wasn't the digital download and family sharing. It was them messing with physical media and used games. The digital media part I actually like.

Nokterian

Pretty mutch this. I find it also funny about FIFA because the console is not even launching in the Netherlands and there are a lot of football fans here even though I am totally not.

rouken

if they try to put back the digital policies they have in the future, i would welcome it back. because now gamers have a choice between going physical or digital so it wouldn't matter as much as it did a couple of months ago.

Pug

It would be huge if they managed to launch everywhere. They will probably maintain leadership in the UK and everywhere else it will be business as usual.

I don't think they will maintain their lead here in the UK. If I were Sony I'd be plastering the £349.99 price everywhere. Remember the Xbox one is £429.99, it's bloody expensive. If I were in the MS marketing dept' now I'd have Titanfall everywhere, even though its not a launch game and pimping the hell out of buzz words such as the cloud, well pimping even more than they have been doing.

How can you even say that after all those reversals? You're promising the original vision in the future? Why not implement digital sharing now?

Fucking MS and their stupid bullshit PR speak.
You said it: PR speak. He's not going to shit where he sleeps.

I like Spencer more than Mattrick.

The original digital-only console was too early, so they pushed it out based on consumer feedback. It's a good thing they're listening and being responsive. I'm not sure why people are still trying to demonize or disparage them on this point. I like to know they're being more consumer friendly.

On another note, I like these kinds of threads because the console warriors reveal themselves so easily.

They were only responsive when they had absolutely no choice but to be responsive. Just like they realized how horribly they were doing in Europe, so now they're including Fifa. Nothing this company does comes from a place of generosity or fairness. In fact, the original version of the XB1 had a draconian system in place that heavily tilted everything towards their benefit, and very little to the consumer at all, no matter what fairytale stories some people will try and tell.

So reality slapped them across the face, and now we see a very different Microsoft, which is a good thing, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking this was just them being cool and stuff. Their hand has been forced by the consumers who rejected their terrible ideas.

The DRM system is being taken out with a day one patch, I'm pretty sure they can patch it back in.

Can we please stop with this nonsense? It's gone. They got bitchslapped into dropping it. The last thing they're going to do is bring it back down the road. There would be riots in the streets and they know it. Any suggestion otherwise is pure FUD.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
good - cause if you drop the kinect and the price early next year (cboaaaat!), i will cry.

FeiRR

Banned
I guess I just have a fundamental belief that gamers buy games consoles to play games
That's right, Mr Spencer. I buy consoles to play games, not to watch ads, switch TV channels, talk to my console or browse football stats. I don't even watch films, browse web or listen to music on it. I have a plenty of other, less energy-hungry devices for that.

Pretty mutch this. I find it also funny about FIFA because the console is not even launching in the Netherlands and there are a lot of football fans here even though I am totally not.

Even crazier given the exclusive "legends" have a shit load of Dutch players who can legitimately be considered legends (except Patrick Kluivert) while no other nation can make that claim. No Zidane, no Gazza, no Khan, no Schmeichel, no Best. The list of exclusive legends is pitiful, how EA conned MS into paying for this content is one for the history books for sure!

Raonak

Banned
Wonder if this implies that xbone DRM may be returning one day.

I can totally see it. bundled with a new Dashboard update

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm in the Phil > Mattrick party too. I feel a bit for him because it has to be hard as hell to spin PR on all that has happened in the past few months. Phil got handed the mess on a platter and had to do his best to try and make people excited about everything again. All while taking the abuse left behind in the wake of Mattrick and the previous policies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can one of your analysts confirm?

09954248.gif

Anth1888

Classic American thinking tbh, football is huge here, FIFA benefits from that. If it turns out to be a shit show and PES make it work for next gen (not this year, clearly) then the market will shift over. PES was bigger on PS2 than FIFA for example, despite the licence issues and stupid names!

Also, when the PS4 version of FIFA sells more than the Xbone version probably at a 3:1 ratio or higher people should not be surprised. I also think EA will pull the plug on their partnership in the middle of next year and the "legends" (if you can call them that) will come to the PS4 version of FIFA as well.

Yep, it's huge here. But Sony had the FIFA marketing contract for the last few years and who knows if it made that much of a difference. I can imagine Microsoft's advertising of FIFA 14 free and in small writing Day One edition and come launch day, people getting their consoles from supermarkets/GAME/Amazon who buy the standard edition will be wondering were their free copy of FIFA 14 is not knowing its for Day One only. Plus most of the Day One edition bundles are sold out already (Amazon).

The only shitty policy was the 24 hour check in and that was a result of them trying to still maintain the used market while having install only discs. Now that the discs are like they were on 360 they don't need the 24 hour check in.

Top Bottom