• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Games: If new NFS: Underground can sell 15M copies, we'd make that game

Sky's the limit I guess.
It's a request Ghost Games head Marcus Nilsson is all too aware of – and though the studio isn't actively working on a new Underground title right now, it's something he suggests the developer could act upon if the game was guaranteed to sell.

"Ultimately, we need to listen to our consumers," Nilsson told VideoGamer.com during Gamescom when asked about the possibility of developing Need For Speed Underground 3.

"If people would come to me and say, you know... make Underground 3 with Frostbite 3 with exactly the same features and you'll go back and sell 15 million copies, then yes, I would build that game. I would. But it's not that simple."

"I think it's nostalgic," he continues. "I think there are elements in Underground which are very good. What you see with Rivals is, in some sense, a merge between what you like in the Criterion games – the physics, the camera work, the car – but looking back and flirting with the past with the narrative, with the personalization.

"And yes, Rivals is not the over-the-top customization and neon colors under the car, but maybe the reason partly is because that is out of hype anyway, because [of] Fast & The Furious in early 2000. But bottom line, I think it's a core pillar of Need For Speed to have [customization] and we're going to go there."
Via Videogamer

Arooguy

Where is this coming from? It's not as if Rivals is going to sell anywhere near that, is it?

Exactly what I was thinking. If anything a new Underground would probably sell more than Rivals. I know I'd buy a new Need For Speed Underground.

I'm thinking it's more him explaining the absurdity of some people saying that to him, I.E 'You'll sell so many more copies!', than an actual realistic goal.

That being said, I wasn't a big Underground guy, but if people want it, let em have it.

But I get Burnout Paradise 2 first

Acccent

I know of another racer that's going to have good customization

I don't know if it's a feature that actually sells copies though.

Dead Man

I'm thinking it's more him explaining the absurdity of some people saying that to him, I.E 'You'll sell so many more copies!', than an actual realistic goal.

That being said, I wasn't a big Underground guy, but if people want it, let em have it.

But I get Burnout Paradise 2 first

And yet claiming they need 15m copies to make it worthwhile is even more absurd.

And yet claiming they need 15m copies to make it worthwhile is even more absurd.

It read way more like 'There are fans like this that make these silly claims to me' than 'We need this amount of games sold to make it'.

He was basically imitating 'Here's what a higher-up would say if they wanted Underground 3'.

Basically, this is all shinobi's fault and I'd like to boycott his newsletter :p

Dead Man

It read way more like 'There are fans like this that make these silly claims to me' than 'We need this amount of games sold to make it'.

Seemed like he wanted to be told that by the marketing people the way the quote reads to me. Meh. Stupid expectation regardless of who has it.

saladine1

The Crew from Ubisoft has been a rallying point of a lot of Underground fans especially because of the upgrades and customization aspect. While I can't wait for that game, Underground 3 will always be my most wanted...

EA, please, get this done!

I think he means "the feel" of 15 million. You really don't need THAT much to make the game, right?

*looks left & right*

*backflips to shadows*

T.O.P

Banned
I also need to address something, why the fuck all these new NFS games let me start with a 400+ horse power car?

i mean, driving THIS felt good

Underground2_Peugeot206.jpg

You could feel every little upgrade in your car, lots of times thinking if you should get that little engine upgrade or buying a new spoiler, because it looked so fuckin good

seriously :(

I also need to address something, why the fuck all these new NFS games let me start with a 400+ horse power car?
The first NFS game up Hot Pursuit 2 was all about that those 400+hp cars too. In fact, if you look at the entire arc, the Underground -> Most Wanted arc is looking more and more like the anomaly.

Need For Speed only does about 4-5 million a year.
And I think more to the point is that it seems no matter how good/bad each iterations were (the peaks of the new NFS:HP and the troughs of Undercover and The Run), it still hits that 4-5 million.

So it's almost an annualized franchise where the theme and quality doesn't matter.

T.O.P

Banned
The first NFS game up Hot Pursuit 2 was all about that those 400+hp cars too. In fact, if you look at the entire arc, the Underground -> Most Wanted arc is looking more and more like the anomaly.
Anomalies were the best entry in the series though :( imho obv

Yoday

I don't care what they make as long as they bring back the sense of progression that the series has been lacking for a very long time.

""If people would come to me and say, you know... make Underground 3 with Frostbite 3 with exactly the same features and you'll go back and sell 15 million copies, then yes, I would build that game."

How brave of you.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
What a moron. 15 Million copies for NFS?

and he expects similar figure for RIVALS?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

i mean, driving THIS felt good

Underground2_Peugeot206.jpg

You could feel every little upgrade in your car, lots of times thinking if you should get that little engine upgrade or buying a new spoiler, because it looked so fuckin good

seriously :(

This is basically my issue with so many racing games these days. I remember playing so many hours of the first few Gran Turismo games in not-great cars like Miatas or Supras from the 80s (though to be fair those are pretty sweet) for tons of races, slowly upgrading parts on the cars and feeling every change. Now they throw tons of supercars at you and you have way fewer diamonds in the rough like the Nissan Micra Super Turbo or dumb, hilarious cars like the Daihatsu Midget II.

In retrospect, Underground was one of the few arcade racing games that made you start even this far down on the food chain, which is probably why I still have fond memories of it. I still enjoy racing games now but it's not the same anymore.

Anomalies were the best entry in the series though :( imho obv
Sure, that's fine, but I honestly wonder if the nostalgia blindfolds are setting in. Underground was godlike when it showed up, but I honestly can't say the same with Underground 2, and that was a direct sequel made in the same time, so how did that get it so wrong, and what's preventing from making similar mistakes with another Underground? Not to mention, it's been 10 years, games have changed quite a bit, and some things that worked in Underground works in direct contrast to how the market likes their racing games.

Gran Turismo
Nope

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/gran-turismo-series-sales-hit-678-million-6399541

Gran Turismo - 10.85 million
Gran Turismo 2 - 9.37 million
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec - 14.89 million
Gran Turismo Concept Series - 1.56 million
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue - 1.4 million
Gran Turismo 4 - 11.6 million
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 5.35 million
Gran Turismo PSP - 3.86 million
Gran Turismo 5 - 9.01 million

Though GT3 did come within spitting distance

Forget Underground, we need Hot Pursuit 3.
We just had Hot Pursuit 3

Top Bottom