• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Games: If new NFS: Underground can sell 15M copies, we'd make that game

He's pretty bang on about it being nostalgic. The whole "street racing" fad is pretty much over now, there's no real reason bring back the Underground name. Just bring back some of those race types and customization aspects.

velociraptor

I think EA should be happy with 5 million for an NFS games.

This is the problem with the gaming industry. If you can't make a profit at 5 million copies, then clearly you are financially incompetent.

I've had more fun with NFS Underground and NFS Underground than most recent NFS games, and they probably cost a fraction of what these current games cost.

I'm amazed at how developers seem to think throwing money will automatically make the game better.

Nope

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/gran-turismo-series-sales-hit-678-million-6399541

Gran Turismo - 10.85 million
Gran Turismo 2 - 9.37 million
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec - 14.89 million
Gran Turismo Concept Series - 1.56 million
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue - 1.4 million
Gran Turismo 4 - 11.6 million
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 5.35 million
Gran Turismo PSP - 3.86 million
Gran Turismo 5 - 9.01 million

Though GT3 did come within spitting distance

We just had Hot Pursuit 3
I'm actually quite impressed how GT sells so well, since it's a 'sim' racer. Will be interesting if people will continue to buy GT6, especially as this generation appears to be dwindling to an end.

Underground was such a product of its time. I don't think it would work as well today without major revisions, and then the hardcore fans would just say "It's not really Underground, fuck it." Difficult cycle to solve.

-Need For Speed: Underground sold 7.2 million copies in its lifetime.

-Need For Speed: Underground 2 sold 5.62 million copies in its lifetime.

compared to the recent Need For Speed titles such as..

-Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) sold 8.5 million copies in its lifetime.

-Need For Speed: The Run sold a little over 3.5 million copies in its lifetime.

its so upside down sometimes when it comes to what games publishers like EA decide to green light. Black Box's NFS: The Run was approved, while another NFS: Underground title is considered a gamble. pure insanity lol.

Famassu

Well, I personally know that Need For Speed Underground 3 is the only NFS game I'd buy Day 1, even for a premium price point. The rest I can wait on to become dirt cheap.

I also need to address something, why the fuck all these new NFS games let me start with a 400+ horse power car?

i mean, driving THIS felt good

Underground2_Peugeot206.jpg

You could feel every little upgrade in your car, lots of times thinking if you should get that little engine upgrade or buying a new spoiler, because it looked so fuckin good

seriously :(

I agree. I used the Peugeut 206 in the majority of the tracks in Underground 1 & 2. It felt so good upgrading the car.

What they should do is make NFS Underground, but do like Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2 and let the people design the items. So people will make their own spoilers, hoods, decals, etc... Then sell them separately or in an item set.

btkadams

Nope

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/gran-turismo-series-sales-hit-678-million-6399541

Gran Turismo - 10.85 million
Gran Turismo 2 - 9.37 million
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec - 14.89 million
Gran Turismo Concept Series - 1.56 million
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue - 1.4 million
Gran Turismo 4 - 11.6 million
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 5.35 million
Gran Turismo PSP - 3.86 million
Gran Turismo 5 - 9.01 million

Though GT3 did come within spitting distance
not that it matters much for any of the listed titles aside from gt5, but those numbers are inaccurate. use polyphony's website. gt5 is sitting at 10.66 million.

bud23

It should be;

If new NFS: Underground can sell more copies than GTA V, we'd make that game.

It´s amazing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember Underground being COD like in the UK, not 10million sales COD like, but people did line up for the sequel and it dominated the charts at Christmas, it was only after MW sales declined.
People like the underground scene and NFS had less and less customisable options as time went on, even MW had less stuff then UG2,
They should bring it back, it'll sell better then any other title they are planning in the NFS series.

So this came linked to me when discussing NFS.

I´ve said in the past that arcade racing games are just a casualty of the market changed by Gran Turismo. Back in the days where you couldn´t really do a simulation racing game, Need for Speed was the best thing you could get.

The original NFS was a huge sucess because it had realistic cars, great graphics, cockpit view, it looked realistic for the time.

Then after GT hit the market it´s like they lost that "car lover" market and tried to stick with the cop chases thinking that would bank the game.

It didn´t and they had to go Underground. It was the best decision they could have made back then, they had no other viable options.

Now EA is puzzled that the series doesn´t have continuity, well, they never tried to achieve that, it´s their fault.

The Underground scene might have been a fad, but it´s one of their best options right now.

It might not sell 15 million, but since you do´t need Porsches for Underground, their goal to break even doesn´t need to be this high :)

NFS is just one of the dozens of arcade oriented racing games that are struggling to find their place in the market. Gaf has told me in the past that there´s still a market for arcade racing games, but it seems like it´s hard to define who exactly is this market and what it wants.

I´m still baffled at EA that they don´t think Underground 3 is a good idea. Like the previous NFS were...

Tuck

And yet claiming they need 15m copies to make it worthwhile is even more absurd.

I think he was exaggerating - i.e saying the first large number that came to his mind.

That said, even a 10 million goal would be insane. Even a 5 million goal (to break even). Games should not have to sell that much to break even.

ASFM

Neo Member
Loved Underground 1 and 2, but I'd only want a return to the series if it was like the original games. I like the newer NFS entries, but the style is way different.

dr_rus

I don't get it. Why would an arcade racer need 15m copies sold to be viable? Are they making them straight out of gold or something?

Duxxy3

Not even Gran Turismo sells that well.

I am a little worried that the series is headed for a rut. Aside from the run it has been the same game since hot pursuit. I didn't buy the run because it looked awful, I didn't buy most wanted because it looked exactly like hot pursuit (and the original most wanted game is better). Rivals looks great, but it seems like I have already played that game.

I think EA needs a rotation of racing games, like they are planning with their FPS games. Hot pursuit/Rivals/Most wanted are practically the same game. Underground could be another type of game. The last could be a burnout/crash kind of game, offroad game or simulation (though sim games sell like shit if they aren't called GT or Forza).

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
my brain is full of fuck. what the hell is this? maybe I'm reading the op out of context.

edit:if money is the issue then why not kick starter to gauge interest ? damn, something

Top Bottom