• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does 'First Come, First Serve' not mean anything, any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) Fast Food

There's a Chipotle near where I live, which is usually packed; the line stretches from the register and snakes around the restaurant to the door on the other end. In the past, the wait time to get a buritto or whatever was 20 minutes; these days, with ONLINE ORDERING, the wait time is easily doubled. First of all, what dumbass thought it was a good idea for customers to order online, come into the restaurant, and cut in front of everyone else to get to the front of the register to retrieve their meal? The worst part about it is whenever a customer makes an online order, that order is immediately transmitted to the employee, and that employee arranges the order on the spot, stalling the customers that have been waiting in line for forever. WTF is this!?

2.) Barbershops

They're the worst. The absolute worst. You can't get a quick haircut these days without an 'appointment.' Last week, I walked into a shop and asked the barber if his chair was available, to which he asked, "You got an appointment?" and to which I responded, "No." Yup, back to the waiting chair. 30 mins later, some guy walks into the shop and plops right down onto the barber seat, no waiting or anything. I mean, you've got seated customers waiting 30-45 minutes to get their haircut, and they don't take priority over some asshole who just happened to call ahead of time from the comfort of his home, without paying his dues? If traditional barbers (not hair-cuttery hacks) weren't so good at their trade, people wouldn't put up with them and their endless jive talking, interrupt-this-customers-shave-while-I-make-my-point-about-the-Dallas-Cowboys-to-this-other-baber ways.

Now, before common-sense GAF inserts their $.02 and reminds me of the merits of comforming to the common practice being vilified in my rant, as opposed to complaining about it, which ultimately yields nothing, let me add that I've online ordered Chipotle in the past and I've made haircut appointments, but I always felt like shit afterwards. Maybe it's because I've worked in retail and as a customer service representative in my youth that I've come to hold a greater appreciation for FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE. A concept that is being flushed down the toilet apparently.

I have trouble getting served fairly at bars, probably because I'm short.

"I'll be right with you sir, just after I serve the tall guy that came in after you."

It sounds like those people who placed their orders in online and called ahead came first, so they got served first.

TasTokyo

I'm utterly confused. Paying their dues? So waiting is somehow paying dues? And the guy at the barber was first. He phoned first and made an appointment. You could have phoned before him if you wanted. It seems you are annoyed because others have more foresight and don't want to waste their time waiting.

The chipotle by where I work is probably the most efficient fast food place I've EVER been in. They seriously can get you from the start of the line to having your burrito paid for in about a minute, assuming you and whoever is in front of you know what they want and don't waste time thinking

The guy who made an appointment was first. Just because he wasn't in the store before doesn't mean he didn't arrange for a haircut before you.

Sophia

In the case of Barbershops and Beauty salons here, most of them actually specify out right if they're first come first serve or not. The one I go to is, but another one specifically isn't.

It's first COME, first SERVE. You're not coming and you're not there, why should you cut in front of someone who is?
Why should people who took the time to make an appointment get served after a random walk in?

So youre saying if I ordered a pizza and want to pick it up I should have to wait for a random walk in persons pizza to be made before mine even though my order came into their business first?

They're the worst. The absolute worst. You can't get a quick haircut these days without an 'appointment.' Last week, I walked into a shop and asked the barber if his chair was available, to which he asked, "You got an appointment?" and to which I responded, "No." Yup, back to the waiting chair. 30 mins later, some guy walks into the shop and plops right down onto the barber seat, no waiting or anything. I mean, you've got seated customers waiting 30-45 minutes to get their haircut, and they don't take priority over some asshole who just happened to call ahead of time from the comfort of his home, without paying his dues? If traditional barbers (not hair-cuttery hacks) weren't so good at their trade, people wouldn't put up with them and their endless jive talking, interrupt-this-customers-shave-while-I-make-my-point-about-the-Dallas-Cowboys-to-this-other-baber ways.

He's probably already waited several days. There's still a line, it's just not physical anymore.

I'm utterly confused. Paying their dues? So waiting is somehow paying dues? And the guy at the barber was first. He phoned first and made an appointment. You could have phoned before him if you wanted. It seems you are annoyed because others have more foresight and don't want to waste their time waiting.

Because as someone in the customer-service industry, you have a sense of obligation to the customers that have been diligently waiting for your service; to the customers that have invested their precious time to put money into your pocket. They take priority if you have any sense of consideration.

Wickwire

If they placed their order well before and its waiting for them at the counter I don't see why they shouldn't just go up there and get it.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Why not just order online/make an appointment? The places you are describing don't operate on a first come first served basis. They operate on an appointment basis and will get to you, time permitting.

JB1981

Customers are served by time of appointment, not time of arrival. You can't just expect to show up somewhere and get preferrential treatment. Make an appointment ahead of time. That's how the world works.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
So do I need to make an appointment to tell the OP how stupid he is, or can I just walk up and post?

TommyT

I have trouble getting served fairly at bars, probably because I'm short.

"I'll be right with you sir, just after I serve the tall guy that came in after you."

I think there's a video somewhere about how to get served quickly at bars. I remember it from college and worked well. Then again, I'm tall.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Go find a cloud to yell at, old man.

But really, how about you adapt and start ordering online if its such a bother.

lol @ paying their dues.

So because someone made an appointment, they should get bumped because you are actually there waiting in person?

The guy who made an appointment was first. Just because he wasn't in the store before doesn't mean he didn't arrange for a haircut before you.

So someone who calls in their appointment, which takes 15 seconds, should get priority over someone who's waited for 45? Okay. Real considerate.

Sophia

Because as someone in the customer-service industry, you have a sense of obligation to the customers that have been diligently waiting for your service; to the customers that have invested their precious time to put money into your pocket. They take priority if you have any sense of consideration.

You have no obligation to serve customers who decide to do walk ins over someone who had the foresight to order ahead of time. Especially if it's established ahead of time that appointments or phoned in orders are honored.

So someone who calls in their appointment, which takes 15 seconds, should get priority over someone who's waited for 45? Okay. Real considerate.

Yes. You, the walk-in, are actually the one being inconsiderate as they now have to deal with you inbetween people who had the common sense to phone in ahead of time and schedule an appointment.

besada

Banned
First come, first served isn't a natural law, it's a policy that may or may not be practiced at any particular venue. If a venue takes reservations, then it's clearly not the policy they practice.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Of course they should! You subjecting yourself to a wait is your own decision. You are trying to insert yourself into a system designed around reservations, literally SMASH your way into the system, say HEY motherfucker, I am sitting in your presence, and this makes my business more important than everyone else.

The establishment does not care how much time you invested, they did not ask for an investment of time, you are volunteering it, and no one wants it. You will not be rewarded for it.

Also, online orders are usually paid up front. If I already paid for my food, I'm sure as hell not waiting in line with randoms.

Gotchaye

I understand preferring this for aesthetic reasons or whatever, but you understand that what you're advocating is ridiculously inefficient, right? The ability to queue up virtually, without having to drop everything else and stand around for 30 minutes, avoids wasting 30 minutes of someone's time. If everyone who called in had instead just arrived at the barbershop 45 minutes before they would otherwise have set their appointment for, everyone would be waiting 45 minutes instead of just you. Some people would be waiting even longer because appointments allow people to avoid high-density times.

Looking forward to seeing this trend continuing in other businesses. "Hey, look, we don't have to stand in line to get on that roller coaster, we'll just call in ahead and walk to the front!"

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The joy of going to one of those expensive theme park. Waiting over a hour in a queue to get on a ride and having a family who have paid stupid amounts of money for a fast queuing system waltz straight to the top of the line.

Man that is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom