• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does 'First Come, First Serve' not mean anything, any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always feels like this when I go to the cinema, always book online first and stare at the massive queue for tickets wondering if they didn't get the memo.

That's how I thought it was going to be for me, but I got charged an extra buck for online ordering and I still had to wait in line to pick up the tickets. Fuck that backwards ass shit.

akira28

At least my barber shop has free beer and a pool table. Makes waiting not a big deal.

where do you get cut? I went to this new place with appointments, but they atleast had a TV with Netflix. Cut was like 30$ though. I like the 10$ place but all they play is gospel music.

That's how I thought it was going to be for me, but I got charged an extra buck for online ordering and I still had to wait in line to pick up the tickets. Fuck that backwards ass shit.

Its always separate machines here, the online booking fee is ridiculous though considering it saves them staff time. Still worth not queuing though. Plus if you want to sit in the middle for big releases now you need to pay that extra premier seating fee.

way more

I thought the only people who didn't make appointments for haircuts were people who have their moms take them to the barber.

akira28

I thought the only people who didn't make appointments for haircuts were people who have their moms take them to the barber.

I don't mind waiting 30 minutes for the guy who I usually go to. Or 45 minutes if there's someone before me. You just wait, it's what you do. This appointment stuff is rather new.

and they have a website...

free beer though...I have to pay a dollar for a Rock Creek ginger ale.

WorldStar

Banned
and they have a website...

free beer though...I have to pay a dollar for a Rock Creek ginger ale.

place is legit

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Zona

I don't, but that's because I normally just get a buzz cut and don't mind waiting. If I minded waiting, or had an attachment to one specific barber I'd make an appointment.

I don't mind waiting 30 minutes for the guy who I usually go to. Or 45 minutes if there's someone before me. You just wait, it's what you do. This appointment stuff is rather new.
I've been making appointments to go to the barber shop for about 15 years now. That's not anything new. No chance that I'd ever go to a place that doesn't do them either.

place is legit

http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/PJcnpkrX7iZX_hJ-Tz6lnA/l.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/LbMJwMnzaTjkrPGLc7Jnrw/l.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/-liXRZuTOtiBQ5zZuqOEgQ/l.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Can I reserve my game of pool by putting my money on the table or do I need to stand behind you waiting?

akira28

I've been making appointments to go to the barber shop for about 15 years now. That's not anything new. No chance that I'd ever go to a place that doesn't do them either.

it's new to the neighborhood shops I went to. If you weren't in the seat, you would lose out. In fact, I wouldn't go to a place that TOOK appointments, because I wasn't partial to paying 50 bucks for a cut.

(as if I was saying the fucking concept of setting appointments for hair styling is new. c'mon.)

lexi

Banned
I just booked movie tickets online, looking forward to walking past all those people 'paying their dues'.

This thread. I don't even. I cant believe people trying to make the OP's point make any semblance of sense.

OP definitely has a valid point worthy of debate when it comes to calling in an order to a place like Chipotle. That would have been a very different thread. His error was in trying to conflate this with the time-honored tradition of making an appointment.

So someone who calls in their appointment, which takes 15 seconds, should get priority over someone who's waited for 45? Okay. Real considerate.

Someone who was considerate enough to say "Yeah, I need a haircut at X:00" ahead of time should get bumped because of some asshole who rolled into the store expecting instant service? You need to reconsider the definition of "considerate."

So someone who calls in their appointment, which takes 15 seconds, should get priority over someone who's waited for 45? Okay. Real considerate.

My barber knows me. He knows when i call and say i will be there Thursday at 2pm, i will be there Thursday at 2pm. Im guaranteed money for him at this point. Why would he jeopardize my business to cut your hair if you arent a repeat customer?

Someone who was considerate enough to say "Yeah, I need a haircut at X:00" ahead of time should get bumped because of some asshole who rolled into the store expecting instant service? You need to reconsider the definition of "considerate."

lol ... thread-winner, should've been first, etc.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Seriously, just lock this thread already. I've ended my part of the discussion, and now the topic has deteriorated to a series of name-callings. I've made my point, and the only responses I got were "Oh, you're old fashion" and "Oh, businesses hate you," which weren't intelligent rebuttals at all, which is why I quit early and leave to your hands to lock.

You're looking for intelligent rebuttals to a stupid argument, and you haven't made any point that I can see. People have pointed out over and over why appointments happen, and that they've been around for longer than you've been alive.

Your only argument is that you want things the way you want them, because you come first, no matter how much sense anything else makes.

And when you get called on it, you act like you're getting persecuted.

I just booked movie tickets online, looking forward to walking past all those people 'paying their dues'.
on opening nights, you still have to wait in line if you want a good seat.

at least where i'm from, buying tickets isn't much of an issue in the theatres if you use debit/credit. theatres have anywhere from 5-10 self-serve machines that don't really have lines.

OP definitely has a valid point worthy of debate when it comes to calling in an order to a place like Chipotle. That would have been a very different thread. His error was in trying to conflate this with the time-honored tradition of making an appointment.

What's stopping the OP from doing the same?

What's stopping the OP from doing the same?

From calling in an order? Maybe he likes to make sure it's fresh...that is sort of the whole point of Chipotle. Those burritos get soggy fast and the tacos are even worse. Maybe he's indecisive. Personally, I like to see how the guacamole is looking today before I decide if I'd like some in my burrito. I tend to go for whichever meat looks freshest, too. I like to evaluate my options with my eyes before assembling my burrito.

lexi

Banned
on opening nights, you still have to wait in line if you want a good seat.

at least where i'm from, buying tickets isn't much of an issue in the theatres if you use debit/credit. theatres have anywhere from 5-10 self-serve machines that don't really have lines.

Self-serve machines aren't a thing here yet. I've seen them down in Melbourne, though.

From calling in an order? Maybe he likes to make sure it's fresh...that is sort of the whole point of Chipotle. Those burritos get soggy fast and the tacos are even worse. Maybe he's indecisive. Personally, I like to see how the guacamole is looking today before I decide if I'd like some in my burrito. I tend to go for whichever meat looks freshest, too. I like to evaluate my options with my eyes before assembling my burrito.

If you're picking it up in like 10 min how it is going to not be so fresh?

If you're picking it up in like 10 min how it is going to not be so fresh?

Maybe they make it right away, you get caught in traffic, you have to wait twenty minutes when you get there. I dunno, seems like there a million things that could go wrong between me and my burrito. But, I was speculating as to the op's reasons and won't dig in any further on this one...my own reasons are those of liking to see the ingredients before I decide what I want.

I don't sit there and angrily glare at the people that call ahead! That's the system. It's fine. But I see his point.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
It's first COME, first SERVE. You're not coming and you're not there, why should you cut in front of someone who is?

In a way the people who called or ordered online did pay their "dues"

They took their time to make that online order, to make that phone call. Meanwhile most walk ins aren't planned but rather just spontaneous.

Maybe they make it right away, you get caught in traffic, you have to wait twenty minutes when you get there. I dunno, seems like there a million things that could go wrong between me and my burrito. But, I was speculating as to the op's reasons and won't dig in any further on this one...my own reasons are those of liking to see the ingredients before I decide what I want.

I don't sit there and angrily glare at the people that call ahead! That's the system. It's fine. But I see his point.

Yeah but it's chipotle.

But his point goes way beyond that. He doesn't like people getting preference in service based on phoning or otherwise contacting the business ahead of time over the people who "pay their dues" by physically showing up and waiting in person. Your example doesn't illustrate what his point seems to be.

I understand his example, but it's so extreme, I'm trying to soften it to a more relatable level. His entire thread sort of backfired on him.

The reason hair salons love appointments is pretty plain when you notice that they can only serve a finite number of people at a time. They will absolutely lose business during rushes that occur in pure first-come-first-served scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom