• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some successful kickstarter games?

Redhood

Seeing the recent rush of all these kickstarter games inspired by Dark souls, metroid etc!

I got curious! Have any kickstarter games released at all? If yes are they good?

FT-dammit

FTL is the first real big one. There was the other starship sim (Star Command?) that came out, and while middling, is quite good. There's a few others. Basically it depends on them.

FTL, Giana Sisters and Shadowrun Returns were kickstarted and turned out pretty good.

Knew I forgot a couple...

Yeah, Giana Sisters is freaking choice. And they're really covering the gamut of all platforms, which is awesome of them.

Haven't played Shadowrun, but it seems like it's built as a platform more than as a cohesive story, which intrigues me.

Chivalry is so derpy though. And now there's a Deadliest Warrior expansion coming out! Which makes me mad: I want Deadliest Warrior 3!

The End

Valdis Story just released on Desura, should be up on the humble store soon and steam eventually. It's an amazingly good little aRPG/Metroidvania game, and well worth checking out.

mclem

From my recollection and collection since I started paying attention to KS:

FTL
Chivalry
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Volgarr the Viking (very soon)
Pinball Arcade tables (Twilight Zone, Star Trek, is T2 out yet?)
Diamond Trust of London
Shadowrun Returns
Cloudberry Kingdom
Leisure Suit Larry Returns
Valdis Story
Sequence

There's also several where some form of Early Access has been released:

Xenonauts
Full Bore
Chuck's Challenge
Mercenary Kings

I did wonder if the KS 2013 thread should have either a section or a companion thread detailing projects that are arguably 'complete' or at least demonstrable.

From my recollection and collection since I started paying attention to KS:

FTL
Chivalry
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Volgarr the Viking (very soon)
Pinball Arcade tables (Twilight Zone, Star Trek, is T2 out yet?)
Diamond Trust of London
Shadowrun Returns
Cloudberry Kingdom
Leisure Suit Larry Returns
Valdis Story
Sequence
There's also several where some form of Early Access has been released:

Xenonauts
Full Bore
Chuck's Challenge
Mercenary Kings

I did wonder if the KS 2013 thread should have either a section or a companion thread detailing projects that are arguably 'complete' or at least demonstrable.
Sequence was a Kickstarter?

I'm pretty sure Sequence wasn't, but Feep's second game was successfully funded through Kickstarter. It's still in production though.

Ooh, I stand corrected. That's right, he did that before KS became cool :)

What is his second project? I only see his first one up on KS.

CTLance

I'm gonna have to say that so far, all seems good on my end. I have backed 17 projects, and while I only have received two finished products the rest leave me optimistic still, usually with proof.

I enjoy Strike Suit Zero. Not the best game ever, but honestly fun to play. The Ouya for all its faults delivered more than I actually expected (i.e. a box to reflash as NAS+XBMC, a homebrew console, and the Ouya software store). Shame about the going-ons though.

The betas from the Two Guys SpaceVenture and the War For The Overworld teams are sufficiently entertaining, with occasional livestreams from the latter showing off some new features and allowing for Q&A etc. Limit Theory puts out constant footage of game improvements and features. That guy is insane.

Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen send out regular updates and status reports/in-game fluff pieces as well, and the latter recently released an early alpha of the Hangar functionality that is surprisingly entertaining for a few minutes (walk around, enter spaceships, sit in pilot seat, change equipment, drive buggie).

Radio the Universe doesn't release as many updates as the ones above, but every single one shows good progress so all is well. Maia has an alpha out and does the occasional update, so I'm confident the game will be fun when it's released. The Broken Sword devs are a bit too silent for my tastes, but their handful of updates always come with an amazing amount of info so that's OK for me.

All of the above are well within their predicted schedules, so no problems there.

The Satellite Reign guys just got done moving into their new office, so what happens there will remain to be seen, but I'm optimistic. Same with Jobbs and his Ghost Song, the kickstarter ended just a few days ago, way too early to fret.

The only item I'm kinda dubious about is my gamble-pledge for Rainfall:The Sojourn, but I don't mind. That pledge is part of an alcohol-fuelled bet, and I'll get my money's worth out of it either way, so I'm not bothered by the scarcity of updates and what that might imply.​

epmode

Volgarr the Viking came out and it really is brilliant. It's so rare to see a modern developer that truly understands old-school 2D action games.

Also, Spud's Quest was just released. No Steam release yet since Greenlight has been unsuccessful so far. That's not a surprise seeing as how it's such a small production.

I missed this thread before. It would be interesting to figure out what percentage of video game kickstarters are successful and how the reached goals compare.

I missed this thread before. It would be interesting to figure out what percentage of video game kickstarters are successful and how the reached goals compare.

There's quite a bit of work in compiling a list like that, my thread has a smaller incomplete list of games released or in beta form so far (most of which are listed in this thread). But there are a few Wiki's that try and keep track of these sorts of things.

Here is a comprehensive wikia that also includes a list of released games:

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/crowdfunding/index.php5?title=List_of_crowdfunding_games

It's from a Linux run website, so they exclude the projects that do not have a Linux version in the works. But since 99.5% of all crowd sourced Linux games do have counterparts for Windows, Mac and whatever else, this wikia is just a really good resource overall.

There is also this Wikipedia page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_crowdfunding_projects, which does a pretty poor job in general of listing everything.

What games were like dark souls? Id be interested in those for sure.

I can't think of any 3D games off the top of my head. But I know there has been at least a dozen 2D games that have been marked as Dark Souls hybrids. I just need to remember which ones those are,,, :p

Orayn

I can't think of any 3D games off the top of my head. But I know there has been at least a dozen 2D games that have been marked as Dark Souls hybrids. I just need to remember which ones those are,,, :p

That one with the mouse looked fairly similar to Dark Souls in terms of gameplay, whereas most other Dark Souls "inspired" games are mainly aiming to recapture the atmosphere and/or general difficulty.

The mouse one was on IndieGoGo, but I can't remember its name...

Valdis Story just released on Desura, should be up on the humble store soon and steam eventually. It's an amazingly good little aRPG/Metroidvania game, and well worth checking out.

Seconding Valdis Story. And though I backed it, my utter hatred of Desura had me wait for the standalone.

Really fun game, though the ranking of how well you did against a boss had me resetting like a motherfucker since it rewards you with stat gains if you do well enough.

Some of the puzzles are really challenging too. A couple of them I thought I had to wait until I progressed more and got new abilities, but no, you just need to be sick at the game.

Only bad part is there is so little in the way of tutorial that I didn't know I could fucking dash for like...2 hours. Missed a lot of puzzles that way. Or that using magic when you have none hurts your health.

That said, it's still quite good. The intro leads you to believe the writing and story is middling at best but as soon as the MC starts talking it's all uphill.

Wiktor

Cognition too, just got keys for all episodes for Steam. One of the earliest Kickstaters (funded back in 2011). First one I backed and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

The Banner Saga. Had a rough first year, releasing a F2P version of the game that annoyed most backers, but the project seems to have righted itself. The art for this game is just gorgeous.

Top Bottom