• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could DS4 do for next gen what the 360 controller was for last gen?

Endo Punk

I never got controller preference but it clearly is a thing and weighed heavily on 360's favor last gen. Gamers had problems with PS3's symmetrical stick layout but judging by what the gaming press has to say the PS4 controller is a significent improvement despite still being symmetrical.

Anyway I found this interesting video with hands on experience of the two controllers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yv9VfbmLgI

I'm suprised that the XB1 d-pad isn't as improved as it was perceived to be, of course it will depend on person to person but with the press and gamers showing preference to DS4 MS may actually lose something much more vital than mere tech power.

I think both are pretty big steps forward from what their previous iterations. The programmable rumble triggers will be godly in games that make good use of them. Forza 5 is a perfect example(source is my first hand experience playing with both controllers). And the triggers and thumbsticks on the DS4 are much better than the DS3.

A t the end of the day preference will still probably come down to what style of buttons and thumbstick you like more.

I hope so. I personally like having options. But think it's more up to the developers if they're willing to put both UI in the game.

It would be a while since the 360 controller has a large list of PC games that are supporting it.

Timeaisis

DS4 looks like the DS3 with a touchpad. If that does anything, we'll see. I remember Sony was saying that the gyroscope in the DS3 would play a big part in games...yeah.

Depends on if devs are willing to work with it.

Slappers Only

Maybe for some. Not interested in any touch pads though. I've used it, and it's a marginal improvement. Still not on par with 360 controller IMO.

Sethos

Banned
I hope so. By all the previews and impressions from the floor it seems like the DS4 is damn near perfect while the XB1 controller is getting some mixed impressions.

Tailzo

This 360-controller craze seems to not be a fact among any non-internet people I meet.

Is it only a US thing? Fps are not as huge here I think.

The main problem with the PS3 pad is the triggers, really. The fact that I've had to buy a product to make the triggers not-shit says it all, really. Amazed that someone at Sony could have actually used it and then sent it out the door like that.

I really hope that's fixed.

I doubt it. Controller S was designed with dual analogue sticks in mind, that's why it's miles better than a PS1 controller with two analog sticks tacked on in the only way that could be done without changing the layout.. And that has been basically the story of the 3 generations..

UNCMark

Banned
With that stick placement, for me no. I've held the new Xbox controller and I can't even say that it will replace the 360 controller as the best. Something about the L1/R1 buttons just felt cheap and poorly thought-out. Perhaps the Steam controller will be better than it looks.

Goliath

I don't think the 360 controller did anyting new or standardize anything in particular. A group of people who play mostly FPS find it a little more comfortable due to their hand sizes.

The Dual Shock controller is not inferior because of this, in fact it's D pad made it better for fighters then the 360s.

I don't know, I never got the big fuss about the DS controller being uncomfortable, I have been gaming on one of these controller since the PS1 days and there is no controller I am more comfortable with.

Certinty

I actually hope I find the DS4 to be better than the Xbox One's. If it is I'll have no reason to get an Xbox One (for at least a few years). In fact I would say the only reason I've had a 360 the last few years has been due to the controller which makes me buy all my multiplatform games on it.

DS4 looks like the DS3 with a touchpad. If that does anything, we'll see. I remember Sony was saying that the gyroscope in the DS3 would play a big part in games...yeah.

That's ignoring a lot of improvements.

IvorB

What did the 360 controller do for last gen? I'm not sure I understand. Some people preferred it but that's nothing ground-breaking.

Muselbert

I just hope that PC game developers will make use of the native DS4 support for Windows and finally add Cross/Square/Triangle/Circle Button Promts to their games if played with the DS4.

Carl

DS4 is a huge improvement over ds3. Not just a touchpad. The whole controller is a massive improvment in weight and comfort.

dsk1210

It's the steam controller I am most excited about, the precision on controllers has not been addressed with the new consoles, I really hoped for something that allowed higher accuracy on the right hand side of the controllers.

masterkajo

IMO the PS4 controller will be the controller for PC gaming simply because of the added touchpad that can act as a mouse. I hate sitting in my living room using Steam BPM and start a game only to have a launcher that requires mouse input.

DBT85

Did you watch the video or read any impressions of the DS4? At all?

as long as they fixed the L2/R2 triggers feeling really uncomfortable and they work fine with a PC, DS4 will be my weapon of choice this gen.

Crumpet

Neo Member
Used both controllers at Gamescom and the DS4 is a huge improvement over its predecessor. I've yet to see the benefit of the touch pad but it will be interesting to see how different games employ the use of it. Given full windows support beyond the basic functions I see no reason why devs wouldn't want to throw an extra controller profile into their PC releases.

That being said I still think the XB1 controller will be a major contender in the PC space

Goku

Banned
Highly doubt it. I still beleive PS4's controller is praised so much because of how mich an improvement it is over the DS3, which is horrible. If DS3 was a good controller, DS4 wouldn't be hyped as it is right now. Every improvement in the DS4 is Kaio-Ken x100 levels of magnified because of the mediocrity that is DS3.

Oppo

I never got controller preference but it clearly is a thing and weighed heavily on 360's favor last gen. Gamers had problems with PS3's symmetrical stick layout but judging by what the gaming press has to say the PS4 controller is a significent improvement despite still being symmetrical.

I don't know; I think it's interesting that Valve also opted for symmetry. I've never really believed in the offset sticks, although they don't really give me any trouble.

It is strange that the ambidextrous argument doesn't come up more often.

Carl

Highly doubt it. I still beleive PS4's controller is praised so much because of how mich an improvement it is over the DS3, which is horrible. If DS3 was a good controller, DS4 wouldn't be hyped as it is right now. Every improvement in the DS4 is Kaio-Ken x100 levels of magnified because of the mediocrity that is DS3.

Personally I adore the DS3. Still think the DS4 is a massive improvement in every way

god dang that Knack footage (in the video).... I really wish the game was 39.99 instead of 59.99

still might get it though need to have my whacky platformer for day 1

ramb0211

Banned
It'll still come down to preference for most, but I'm glad Sony has parity with Nintendo and Microsoft for traditional controllers. Will make switching back and forth easier than ever.

The 360 pad 'did something' for this gen? Not sure I follow.

I think DS4 definitely will because of how Sony is merging ecosystems with console and mobile, and touch allows for some similarities there in regards to control. Who knows if it's going to end up being a huge deal or not though.

Skilletor

DS3 > 360 controller

This 360-controller craze seems to not be a fact among any non-internet people I meet.

Does "non-internet people" mean people who don't use the internet? I suppose they probably aren't big into console gaming either.

I've met many people in real life that rave about the 360 controller in general and many who have have talked about how it's the best controller to have for PC. I'd imagine all of them use the internet, though I doubt many of them are on gaming boards regularly.

Based on what I've heard of DS4 I'm super excited. And I hope it uses the exact same mappings as the 360 controller when used on a PC.

DS3 > 360 controller

Hey, somebody's got to be in the minority.

I'm looking forward to the DS4 because it sounds like they finally got rid of the ridiculous dead zone on the analog sticks which made shooters nearly unplayable compared to their counterparts on 360.

New DS feels like it simply caught up to the 360 and slapped on a touchpad. The Xone and and DS will both be good controllers but the touchpad would have to become some crazy fad to make waves and I highly doubt it will. The rumble triggers for the xbox are awesome, but are they amazingly new? Not really, but something I'm much more interested in. The real difference is the left thumbstick, and that means it'll be down to preference of position or just what console people own.

jonabbey

It sounds like DS4 is wider (more room between sticks) than DS3 was. That and the bigger grips and improved triggers (and Move/Wii+ level accelerometer/gyro) sound like it'll make for a really nice package.

cackhyena

What did the 360 controller do for last gen? I'm not sure I understand. Some people preferred it but that's nothing ground-breaking.

Some people?

I'm just hoping the sticks looseness is tightened up for the DS4. It's the only thing I care about. If I could have the 360's stick placement, I'd take it, but I'll make do. Still betting I prefer the One's controller, though.

IvorB

The funny thing about this argument is that the guys that prefer the 360 controller are evangelical about how much better it is than the Dualshock and how the Dualshock sucks. Whereas the people that prefer Dualshock are just happy with their preference. I wonder why that is...

I'm looking forward to the DS4 because it sounds like they finally got rid of the ridiculous dead zone on the analog sticks which made shooters nearly unplayable compared to their counterparts on 360.

That dead zone is all in software for most PS3 games. If you don't believe me, try a DS3 with a PC. No dead zone whatsoever.

The blame for the big dead zone on PS3 can be laid at the feet of lazy developers that are probably using default SDK code.

Brashnir

The Playstation controller's issue really has nothing to do with symmetrical sticks. The problem is with the neutral thumb position when gripping the controller by its ergonomic shape. Doing so puts your thumbs farther from the analog sticks than the same sort of grip on the 360's controller. This is because the shape of the Dualshock controller was very well engineered ergonomically before the analog sticks were tacked on to the thing.

If the PS4's controller has a good thumb neutral position when gripped, it will be fine.

IvorB

Some people?

I'm just hoping the sticks looseness is tightened up for the DS4. It's the only thing I care about. If I could have the 360's stick placement, I'd take it, but I'll make do. Still betting I prefer the One's controller, though.

Yeah. Some people. I don't think there is a majority either way that anyone can prove.

I think both are pretty big steps forward from what their previous iterations. The programmable rumble triggers will be godly in games that make good use of them. Forza 5 is a perfect example(source is my first hand experience playing with both controllers). And the triggers and thumbsticks on the DS4 are much better than the DS3.

A t the end of the day preference will still probably come down to what style of buttons and thumbstick you like more.

I've heard a lot of people give very good impressions of them -- even those who said (or said later they had thought) that the idea was cheesy.

I can imagine shooters, with a mix of the right kind of rumble along with the place on the trigger's inward path that it must reach to shoot the on-screen gun* should really help to diversify gunplay more.

*Frank O'Connor said that one way to help make guns feel different is to have say, a sniper require you to depress the trigger all the way down to shoot, a light machine gun require the trigger to just barely be depressed, and maybe a lazer gun have its rays get more intense as you depress the trigger.

You could tie the rumble in the triggers to this so that the farther back you push the triggers, the harder the rumble gets (because the gun is getting more powerful now).

I'm basically saying there's a bunch of things you could do with shooters besides just having the rumble activate because of recoil, which is the obvious function.

Top Bottom