• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could DS4 do for next gen what the 360 controller was for last gen?

ramb0211

Banned
The funny thing about this argument is that the guys that prefer the 360 controller are evangelical about how much better it is than the Dualshock and how the Dualshock sucks. Whereas the people that prefer Dualshock are just happy with their preference. I wonder why that is...

This is useful conversation. We need more inciteful posts like this one.

Taker34

Banned
I never spend a thought on the controllers before the internet (yes the dark ages) and I played on PS1,2,3 without any problems. Xbox 360 was good too, but I couldn't say which one was "better" because they both had some advantages/disadvantages. Maybe the 360 one could be more balanced but that's totally up to one's personal preference.
As long as it isn't something Atari-like, I can play with it. Give me buttons and sticks and I'll play the station.

The funny thing about this argument is that the guys that prefer the 360 controller are evangelical about how much better it is than the Dualshock and how the Dualshock sucks. Whereas the people that prefer Dualshock are just happy with their preference. I wonder why that is...

My guess is that way more 360 gamers have used both controllers extensively (or at least the 360 controller and the Dual Shock 2), whereas more PS3 gamers are diehards that eschew anything that isn't Sony.

Controllers are a big deal to me. If the DS4 were like the DS2/DS3, I'd definitely not be getting a PS4 at launch. I have a PS3 and even a Plus membership but god damn I hate that fucking controller with a passion. It's awful.

As someone who hasn't owned a PS since the first playstation my transition is gonna be hard. But if I was able to go from the PS1 to the massive xbox controller I can go back to the ds4.

Goku

Banned
Personally I adore the DS3. Still think the DS4 is a massive improvement in every way

I can't fathom how anyone would actually like the DS3 controller. The sticks are too loose and the tip of the sticks are spherical instead of hollow, which causes bad grip. The triggers... why are the triggers even triggers? The point of triggers is supposed to be input control. In a racing game, controlling throttle is a pain because of the bad feedback and bad precision. Thats why most shooters use r1/2 to shoot/zoom.

Thr Dpad is nice though.

Thats my opinion though, don't mean to offend anyone, Awesom if you like DS3 :)

The minority lifted PS3 over 360 in worldwide sales.

I seriously doubt the DS3 had anything to do with PS3 edging out 360 last gen.

Though maybe the DS3 is why Sony lost half their global marketshare this generation? Nah, that's a stupid thought as well.

Controllers are a big deal to serious gamers but ultimately game lineup, price, features, brand loyalty, and other factors are orders of magnitude greater to the general gaming public.

cackhyena

I can't fathom how anyone would actually like the DS3 controller. The sticks are too loose and the tip of the sticks are spherical instead of hollow, which causes bad grip. The triggers... why are the triggers even triggers? The point of triggers is supposed to be input control. In a racing game, controlling throttle is a pain because of the bad feedback and bad precision. Thats why most shooters use r1/2 to shoot/zoom.

Thr Dpad is nice though.
Yep.

The DS4 seems to be a big change from the DS3 and is obviously geared towards the Western Market, and in particular FPS and Racing games.

People can argue about the analogue stick placement, but for PS regulars it is the 'right' placement.

I am interested in how the triggers work, but it looks to be the change Sony needed to move away from the past, but also keep their heritage.

THE CONTROLLER of the next gen imo.

That dead zone is all in software for most PS3 games. If you don't believe me, try a DS3 with a PC. No dead zone whatsoever.

The blame for the big dead zone on PS3 can be laid at the feet of lazy developers that are probably using default SDK code.

Good to know but doesn't make it any less frustrating. That really is my main complaint with the controller, I don't have any issues with the layout or anything.

OnPoint

Both controllers feel great. I personally liked the Xbone's a little more. Just felt better by the smallest of margins.

Haven't used either, but the only thing I did not like about the DS3 was the R1/R2 & L1/L2 and the fact that it was a little bit lighter than I would have liked. Hell there isnt much you can do to eff up a controller though.

Dr Dogg

Was there an issue with symmetrical stick placement on the Dual Shock 3? Although subtle changes from first the Analog pad and the Dual Shock's 1 & 2 they have all been laid out the same for the last 15 or so years.

Now the triggers on the Dual Shock 3 was certainly a new problem and one that did effect me from time to time (amount of times putting the pad down and clobber Patches in Demon's Souls isn't even funny).

Zalman

What's so great about the 360 controller? I've personally always preferred the ds..
Same. I always found it to be a very overrated controller. Sure, it's great ergonomically, but the buttons themselves are pretty crappy IMO. That said, the DS3 wasn't that great either, but I definitely preferred it anyway. Probably because I like the symmetrical layout.

I think the Wii U Pro Controller is vastly underrated here. In my opinion, it takes the best of the DS3 (symmetrical sticks) and the 360 controller (comfortable grip) to create an even better pad. It's already one of my favorite controllers of all time, if not THE favorite.

MercuryLS

Banned
The Playstation controller's issue really has nothing to do with symmetrical sticks. The problem is with the neutral thumb position when gripping the controller by its ergonomic shape. Doing so puts your thumbs farther from the analog sticks than the same sort of grip on the 360's controller. This is because the shape of the Dualshock controller was very well engineered ergonomically before the analog sticks were tacked on to the thing.

If the PS4's controller has a good thumb neutral position when gripped, it will be fine.

A lot of people in this thread don't understand this. Symmetrical sticks was never the problem. The uncomfortable arching of the thumb due to the ergonomics of the DS was. That has been fixed with the DS4, you can see this in the video where they guy says that the symmetrical sticks isn't a problem with the DS4 but it was for him with the DS3 and he can't explain why. The above is why.

I don't think the stick placement was ever really the biggest problem detractors (including myself) had with the DS3. It's just that it wasn't ergonomically comfortable to hold and felt like a light plastic knockoff of what a controller should be.

I would say the trigger improvement, the size and more ergonomics is what will set the DS4 apart from its predecessor.

I don't think it will have as much impact as the 360 controller (how it's basically the default PC gaming controller) but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Carl

Thr Dpad is nice though.

Not really. Like most normal humans, when pressure is applied to the fleshy part of my thumb, it pushes inwards making it concave against the concave stick, Never had my thumbs slip off the analogue sticks before.

Never had a problem with the triggers the way they are, either.

Of course, this is also my opinion and i understand why people don't like the DS3. Like i said, even as a lover of the DS3, the DS4 feels like a huge improvement to me.

Sky78

Banned
I tried both at Eurogamer and preferred the X1 pad personally. That said, the DS4 was certainly a great pad and I had no strong complaints. I just felt that in each key area - triggers, sticks, dpad, ergonomics - the X1 pad was slightly nicer. The only exception was the face buttons, which I preferred on the DS4, again though both were great.

I think this gen there will be no "360 pad" because both pads are great and it will come down to taste. No one is going to be disappointed with the pad which ever console they are playing.

REV 09

I don't think the 360 controller did anyting new or standardize anything in particular. A group of people who play mostly FPS find it a little more comfortable due to their hand sizes.

The Dual Shock controller is not inferior because of this, in fact it's D pad made it better for fighters then the 360s.

I don't know, I never got the big fuss about the DS controller being uncomfortable, I have been gaming on one of these controller since the PS1 days and there is no controller I am more comfortable with.
360 pad is basically the standard for pc gaming. That has never been the case for controllers on pc, so it did break new ground there. I'm unconvinced that the xb1, ds4, or steam controllers will dethrone as the pc standard. Hopefully the competition doesn't shift pc to being less standardized in that regard.

everytime i see a picture of a journalist holding a DS3 they're holding it wrong, so as far i am concerned the DS4 isn' a step forward but a lateral step in ergonomics to appease everyone who holds a DS3 wrong, and a step backwards in button functionality by removing the analog input of the face and d-pad buttons. How are we suppose to play older games that do make of that functionality over gaikai?

UNCMark

Banned
Dual Shock 3 imo is a horrible controller. Sticks are too loose. Triggers are a joke (easily fixable with clip-ons). And the stick placement is just bad. I haven't held it yet, but based on feedback from press and gamers it sounds like they fixed most of my complaints about the DS3. Sticks are now tighter, triggers have a lip on them as they always should have, and the stick placement is still bad but the controller itself has been widened so that the distance between the two sticks has been made larger. I can't wait to use one. I dont care for the touchpad gimmick, but as long as it doesnt get in the way, who cares. The nightlight is an eyesore, but the mini-speaker could be neat.

Personally, I see potential with the touchpad for JRPG's. Innovative menu navigation and specific limb targeting might be improvements on the horizon.

Nope.

Bad left stick position.

Great improvements though.

It's all relative to your grip. The stick position isn't inherently "bad". It's actually a more natural position when you grip something like a controller. The DS3 was basically the original PS1 controller with analog sticks attached to it. Your grip was too close to the sticks. With the new design It will be much better

CryptiK

I havent tried the PS4's controller. But I can tell you that the XBone Controller is a massive step back and extremely uncomfortable.

everytime i see a picture of a journalist holding a DS3 they're holding it wrong, so as far i am concerned the DS4 isn' a step forward but a lateral step in ergonomics to appease everyone who holds a DS3 wrong

If you have to teach people how to hold your controller, then you just fucking failed ergonomics and should be fired from controller design.

DS3 = fail.

Sez

Even when I always feel confortable the DS3 and I think the critics exaggerate the DS3 flaws, the 360 triggers were way better than DS3. For some games like FPS and racing really made a difference, and the only thing on the DS4 that can make a difference like that is the touchpad.

But i don't know if it can be really useful and not a gimmick in some genres like FPS, Racing. I think we should wait to see full implementations of the touchpad and how it will work on all kind of games before giving a veredict.

Bundy

Banned
I never got controller preference but it clearly is a thing and weighed heavily on 360's favor last gen. Gamers had problems with PS3's symmetrical stick layout but judging by what the gaming press has to say the PS4 controller is a significent improvement despite still being symmetrical.

Anyway I found this interesting video with hands on experience of the two controllers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yv9VfbmLgI

I'm suprised that the XB1 d-pad isn't as improved as it was perceived to be, of course it will depend on person to person but with the press and gamers showing preference to DS4 MS may actually lose something much more vital than mere tech power.
It is!
Didn't really like the DS3 for FPS.
But the DS4 is the best controller I've ever held.
Felt in love during Gamescom.
Clearly the best controller now.
(Hell, even the 360 controller is better than the XBone controller :/ )

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Highly doubt it. I still beleive PS4's controller is praised so much because of how mich an improvement it is over the DS3, which is horrible. If DS3 was a good controller, DS4 wouldn't be hyped as it is right now. Every improvement in the DS4 is Kaio-Ken x100 levels of magnified because of the mediocrity that is DS3.
You're decent Goku schtick is ruined by your inane rambling.
Thr Dpad is nice though.
Jebus... What the hell is your trigger rambling even about? Triggers, the shoulder buttons, especially R2 and L2, are meant for analog input. Where there is an entire range of sensitivities. And I hope you mean L1 and R1. Just... wrong all around.

everytime i see a picture of a journalist holding a DS3 they're holding it wrong, so as far i am concerned the DS4 isn' a step forward but a lateral step in ergonomics to appease everyone who holds a DS3 wrong, and a step backwards in button functionality by removing the analog input of the face and d-pad buttons. How are we suppose to play older games that do make of that functionality over gaikai?

What does that even mean?

Goku

Banned
You're decent Goku schtick is ruined by your inane rambling.

Jebus... What the hell is your trigger rambling even about? Triggers, the shoulder buttons, especially R2 and L2, are meant for analog input. Where there is an entire range of sensitivities. And I hope you mean L1 and R1. Just... wrong all around.

I do mean R1/L1. The triggers you describe are how triggers 'should' work, not now DS3 triggers work. They're simply not sensitive enough. The first few mm's of travel aren't registered and after that there is too much imput. It's like the triggers act as every other button instead of beeing triggers in which you can control sensitivity depending on how far you press the triggers.

DS4 looks like a solid improvement, but I'll never use it as my main controller if they keep using a symmetrical layout, it's just far too uncomfortable by comparison. That said, having the superior dpad in the default resting position means I use the DS3 all the time for 2D games or other genres where a dpad is preferable. I'll probably end up getting both at some stage.

Darksol

I don't play FPS so I never noticed the advantage of the 360 controller. I did however not like the 360's buttons, which felt cheap to me and got frequently stuck.

I also prefer symmetrical stick layout and lack of AA batteries. I guess it's no surprise I preferred the DS3.

DS4 looks to be everything I'd want in a controller. Next month I'll find out one way or the other.

Accoun

360 pad is basically the standard for pc gaming. That has never been the case for controllers on pc

Which is IMO more because of GFWL/Microsoft pushing it (If I'm not mistaken, most if not all GFWL games supported only Xinput controllers), rather than the pad itself.
I don't think Sony cares about PC market enough to do something more than enabling these "basic functions". MS had at least some business on the platform, so they tried to profit from it. Ultimately, GFWL failed but the image of X360 pad being "the" for PC remained.

Vlade

If only there was a controller with symmetric sticks up top. The pro controller. And it is excellent.

Pain

Banned

Thr Dpad is nice though.

I think most of the DS3 fans are just like me...they grew up with Playstation. We're used the the layout and ergonomic no mater how "bad" they may be compared to other platforms.

IvorB

My guess is that way more 360 gamers have used both controllers extensively (or at least the 360 controller and the Dual Shock 2), whereas more PS3 gamers are diehards that eschew anything that isn't Sony.

Controllers are a big deal to me. If the DS4 were like the DS2/DS3, I'd definitely not be getting a PS4 at launch. I have a PS3 and even a Plus membership but god damn I hate that fucking controller with a passion. It's awful.

I struggle to understand the hate. I have been using Dualshock for three gens now and it feels as natural as breathing air. But I have also used a 360 controller. I just prefer the Dualshock. I love it. I find the Xbox one too large and ungainly. It reminds me of the Saturn controller...

800px-Sega-Saturn-ControllerS%20copy.jpg

Skilletor

Dual Shock 3 imo is a horrible controller. Sticks are too loose. Triggers are a joke (easily fixable with clip-ons). And the stick placement is just bad. I haven't held it yet, but based on feedback from press and gamers it sounds like they fixed most of my complaints about the DS3. Sticks are now tighter, triggers have a lip on them as they always should have, and the stick placement is still bad but the controller itself has been widened so that the distance between the two sticks has been made larger. I can't wait to use one. I dont care for the touchpad gimmick, but as long as it doesnt get in the way, who cares. The nightlight is an eyesore, but the mini-speaker could be neat.

Because I don't play lots of FPS games, the DS3, for me, is a better pad. Better buttons, better dpad. I don't notice the sticks being too lose, that's a non-issue for me.

I find it more comfortable to hold.

For me, and the genres I play, the DS3 is far better than the 360 pad.

IvorB

I don't play FPS so I never noticed the advantage of the 360 controller. I did however not like the 360's buttons, which felt cheap to me and got frequently stuck.

I also prefer symmetrical stick layout and lack of AA batteries. I guess it's no surprise I preferred the DS3.

DS4 looks to be everything I'd want in a controller. Next month I'll find out one way or the other.

Oh sh*t what??? 360 controller takes AA batteries?? Any consumer electronics that required AA batteries in this day and age is automatically disqualified from everything.

I find the Xbox one too large and ungainly. It reminds me of the Saturn controller...

800px-Sega-Saturn-ControllerS%20copy.jpg

Shit yeah, the Saturn controller is one of the very best ever. So godly. I use the PC one on my PS3 sometimes.

Oh sh*t what??? 360 controller takes AA batteries?? Any consumer electronics that required AA batteries in this day and age is automatically disqualified from everything.

Eneloops. Sooooo good.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i hope the DS4 is as good as the press is saying - the 360 controller is the only thing i'll miss jumping from msft to sony

Top Bottom